Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ppv
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
darroy
with the mayweather/marquez ppv coming up i would like to ask fight nation what is the best and worst money you've spent on a ppv card? for me the first two pacqiuao /morales ppvs were excellent shows start to finish and even though the main event between lennox lewis and david tua sucked the undercard that night was loaded with really good fights. the worst money was probably holyfield/tyson 2 (the undercard was dreadful and who can forget the bite!) with holyfield/lewis 1, and mayweather/de la hoya rounding out my list among the worst money i've spent on ppvs.
JLUVBABY
to me the best ppv cards where done by don king after tyson was sent to the can.. he loaded those fight cards with some undercard fights that could have all been main eventers on hbo or shwtime.. actually the cards started with the first tyson ruddock fight... that card was pretty stacked as well... as it goes the worst was tysons last few ppv shows they where terrible for the money as well...
darroy
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 13 2009, 02:35 PM) *
to me the best ppv cards where done by don king after tyson was sent to the can.. he loaded those fight cards with some undercard fights that could have all been main eventers on hbo or shwtime.. actually the cards started with the first tyson ruddock fight... that card was pretty stacked as well... as it goes the worst was tysons last few ppv shows they where terrible for the money as well...

you're right!!! azumah nelson/jeff fenech, simon brown/maurice blocker i believe were on the first tyson/ruddock undercard.
Big Slim Sweet
I think Fenech-Nelson was on the Tyson-Ruddock 2 undercard. JC Chavez I know was on the Tyson-Ruddock 1 undercard. Don't remember who he fought though. Might have been Roger Mayweather actually. I also remember Chavez fought on the undercard of Lewis-Tucker, which was a DK card too, and that one started off with McClellan blasting out Julian Jackson the first time.

Then there was DK's rematches PPV, with Chavez-Randall, Terry Norris-Simon Brown and McClellan-Jackson. Anyone else remember who else fought on that one? I think there were 4 or maybe even 5 fights.

In recent years the best value card was probably Barrera-Juarez 2, though that fight disappointed. But Guzman-Barrios and Vazquez-Gonzalez made the show well worth it.

The worst recently would have to be a tie between PBF-DLH and Paq-DLH. Both of those shows were just horrendous, which is a shame because of the added exposure the two fights could have brought.
darroy
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Sep 13 2009, 03:28 PM) *
I think Fenech-Nelson was on the Tyson-Ruddock 2 undercard. JC Chavez I know was on the Tyson-Ruddock 1 undercard. Don't remember who he fought though. Might have been Roger Mayweather actually. I also remember Chavez fought on the undercard of Lewis-Tucker, which was a DK card too, and that one started off with McClellan blasting out Julian Jackson the first time.

Then there was DK's rematches PPV, with Chavez-Randall, Terry Norris-Simon Brown and McClellan-Jackson. Anyone else remember who else fought on that one? I think there were 4 or maybe even 5 fights.

In recent years the best value card was probably Barrera-Juarez 2, though that fight disappointed. But Guzman-Barrios and Vazquez-Gonzalez made the show well worth it.

The worst recently would have to be a tie between PBF-DLH and Paq-DLH. Both of those shows were just horrendous, which is a shame because of the added exposure the two fights could have brought.

i think you're right about fenech/nelson being on the 2nd tyson/ruddock undercard. i think roberto duran fought and quit against pat lawlor on the first tyson/ruddock card.
Lil-lightsout
To be honest, I have not been really happy with a bunch of the cards in recent years. They suck you in with the main event, and then the undercard sucks. There might have been an exception or two, but overall for paying $60, I expect more. Like already mentioned in this thread, there were some sweet Don King PPV's back in the 90's. Damn...what happened?
iron_mike
Worst was Tyson Mcneely by far....best...recenet prob Pac DLH, just cause everyone thought it was a joke and Manny would get crushed in 5 rds or so
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (iron_mike @ Sep 13 2009, 05:49 PM) *
Worst was Tyson Mcneely by far....best...recenet prob Pac DLH, just cause everyone thought it was a joke and Manny would get crushed in 5 rds or so

imo tyson mcneely card was a blockbuster compared to some of the stuff these promoters have been serving up recently... i for one think its a good thing ufc is getting in boxings ass a little... its making these guys see they have to serve up some substance and quality and not just a name.... promoters where killing or will be the eventual death of the sport if it is to indeed go in that direction...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Sep 13 2009, 03:28 PM) *

i wanna say that first tyson ruddock fights under card was maurice blocker vs. simon brown... jc chavez vs. john duplessis, and i forget the fourth fight not sure rather or not it was fenech vs. nelson.. i think you are right that fight was on tyson ruddock 2 and nelson fought him with mallaria, got a gift then destroyed him in the rematch.... azumah nelson was a fun fighter to watch in his prime...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.