Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd Mayweather plays the race card
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Byrd Man
this is just mind boggling.

This is just a snippet of the whole article. He goes on to call Emanuel Stewart an "uncle tom" and some other bullshit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=4478216

Floyd Mayweather, getting ready for his first bout in 21 months, has apparently lost none of the chip on his shoulder that made him one of boxing's most intriguing figures.

In an otherwise calm meeting with reporters on Tuesday, including ESPN.com's Kieran Mulvaney, Mayweather calmly and matter-of-factly lashed out at what he thinks is unfair treatment from the media and the public, in part because of his race.

"If you're rich, you're a rich n-----," he said. "If you're poor, you're a poor n----. If you're smart, you're a smart n-----. At the end of the day, they still look at me as a n-----."

Earlier in the conversation, Mayweather compared the reception he received in England earlier this year to what he gets in the United States.

"This country needs to be more positive," he said. "We're already at war. We're in a recession, we're at war and we continue to be negative. The fans in the UK showed me more love than in my own country. That's crazy ... Sometimes I'll sit back, I'll be in my theater sometimes, and I'll think: 'Imagine if I was the same fighter that I am, and I was the same person that I am, and I was from another country. Can you just imagine how big I'd be?'

"But I wouldn't change my life for nothing in the world. There's nothing like being young, black and rich. But there are certain things you think about. If Floyd Mayweather was white, I'd be the biggest athlete in America. The biggest, the biggest. I know that for a fact."

Mayweather compared his public persona with that of Oscar De La Hoya, whom he beat on a split decision in May 2007.

"One thing you never hear. You never hear anything negative about Oscar De La Hoya," he said. "Anything he do negative, it gets swept under the rug."

He continued by complaining about two of HBO's broadcasters, who will be calling Saturday's fight.

"Larry Merchant don't know nothing about boxing," Mayweather said. "What's that other guy's name [at HBO]? [Emanuel Steward]. He's an Uncle Tom.

"One thing you can't knock. You cannot knock my talent."
STEVENSKI
I would like Floyd better if he was black. Black & Blue all over from taking a beating that would alter his life.

People don't like Floyd because of the following

He is arrogant & has zero humility
He is a loudmouth who does not back up his bold claims in the ring
He shows no respect to other fighters
He does not make the best fights possible just the easiest ones
He is a racist

People like DLH because of the following

He has humility & is not a loudmouthed braggart
He always shows respect to other fighters & his opponents
He made the biggest & best fights he could get made

Those are core differences between the two & why DLH was & is more popular than Floyd. There is also the Gold medal which other crossover stars like DLH & Leonard got to get them in the public eye from the get go. Other fighters who became crossover stars in boxing did so because they made the biggest fights possible & let their fists not their mouths do the talking.

As for his comment "There's nothing like being young, black and rich." why does he need to say black? What is wrong with saying there is nothing like being young & rich?
Byrd Man
Yeah I just wrote about this on my blog.

It's kinda strange because Floyd CHOSE to be the bad guy. He's freely admitted in the past, I believe, that he WANTS to be hated, because in his mind people will flock to drop money on his PPV's hoping to see him get beat. He thrives on being hated by everyone.

So now he doesn't like being hated?

There's nothing sadder than someone who's created an image for themselves, and then hates people for acting accordingly.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 16 2009, 08:38 PM) *
Yeah I just wrote about this on my blog.

It's kinda strange because Floyd CHOSE to be the bad guy. He's freely admitted in the past, I believe, that he WANTS to be hated, because in his mind people will flock to drop money on his PPV's hoping to see him get beat. He thrives on being hated by everyone.

So now he doesn't like being hated?

There's nothing sadder than someone who's created an image for themselves, and then hates people for acting accordingly.

I'm pretty sure this is all part of selling the fight and creating controversy, i believe this just as much as i believe everything else that comes out of his mouth.
Aware
Floyd does have a point. If he was white, he would be the Eminem of boxing and white people would love him.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 16 2009, 05:59 PM) *
Floyd does have a point. If he was white, he would be the Eminem of boxing and white people would love him.

no offense, but shut the fuck up. that's completely ridiculous, just as it was stupid for him to say that.

And if Kanye was white, there'd be no fuss over him acting like a douchebag, right?

The reason he is "hated" and the reason that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt is through his own creation.

HE WANTED to be the bad guy. HE WANTED to be hated. HE WANTED to be the villain. When he was making millions by piggybacking on DLH and Hatton's fanbase he had no problem playing up the bad guy angle. When he went on WWE and had his cock sucked by all the wrestling fans he was HAPPY to play the bad guy.

Now when his sales aren't doing too well, now it's all because of racism and those assholes at HBO who just want to keep a brother down.

Yeah what about Tyson when he was king? Damn if he was white can you imagine how great he'd be?????

And a White Jordan??? WOW!!!!

fuck outta here with that bullshit.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 16 2009, 07:26 PM) *
Oh poor Floyd. This is the weakest excuse. It has nothing to do with him being black, it's probably got something to do with him just being a fucking moron. It's comments like this that will sometimes hold black people back. They try to be equals like everyone else and then you got this clown that talks out of his ass instead of just telling it like it really is. A fucking martyr.

are black people not equal like everyone else fitz?... how are blacks trying to be equal? just wondering i didnt know floyd mayweather could say anything that effects blacks as a people...
Byrd Man
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 16 2009, 06:05 PM) *
are black people not equal like everyone else fitz?... how are blacks trying to be equal? just wondering i didnt know floyd mayweather could say anything that effects blacks as a people...

I think Fitz simply worded that wrong. I think he was referring to there are many people (of all races) that don't try to be anything but PEOPLE, and there are those (of all races) who want to put a chip on their shoulder and act like they're being held back because of their race.

I think his choice of words were perhaps unfortunate, but I doubt he meant it the way it came across.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 16 2009, 08:09 PM) *
I think Fitz simply worded that wrong. I think he was referring to there are many people (of all races) that don't try to be anything but PEOPLE, and there are those (of all races) who want to put a chip on their shoulder and act like they're being held back because of their race.

I think his choice of words were perhaps unfortunate, but I doubt he meant it the way it came across.

im sure it wasnt but that didnt sound very good...
Aware
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 16 2009, 08:02 PM) *
no offense, but shut the fuck up. that's completely ridiculous, just as it was stupid for him to say that.

And if Kanye was white, there'd be no fuss over him acting like a douchebag, right?

The reason he is "hated" and the reason that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt is through his own creation.

HE WANTED to be the bad guy. HE WANTED to be hated. HE WANTED to be the villain. When he was making millions by piggybacking on DLH and Hatton's fanbase he had no problem playing up the bad guy angle. When he went on WWE and had his cock sucked by all the wrestling fans he was HAPPY to play the bad guy.

Now when his sales aren't doing too well, now it's all because of racism and those assholes at HBO who just want to keep a brother down.

Yeah what about Tyson when he was king? Damn if he was white can you imagine how great he'd be?????

I never said being white made you greater, just more popular in Amerikkka. You telling me if Floyd was white he wouldn't be more popular here?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 16 2009, 08:02 PM) *

kanye was a ho for that...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 16 2009, 08:11 PM) *
Well I haven't actually gone over my post to see how I sounded but Byrd Man got it right. I wasn't trying to say they weren't equal. I was just trying to say that it took years of work to try get everybody to be seen as humans and not colour and when someone spouts shit like this that isn't true it takes a step backward and not forward.

i was sure you wasnt saying nuthin cross fitz... you my man 50 grand... just wanted to point out that came out very wrong imo...lol... believe me a guy like kanye does more harm to what overall perception of black males might be more so than mayweather... what mayweather said kinda has a ring of truth to it... lets face it a white fighter that can truly fight will always sell... now all the ranting and raving about the money etc i think is just to keep the haters.. lets face it the haters tune in to see him lose just as the fans want to see him winning... same format as ealry ali... more people paid to watch hoping he would lose than to see him win... he was hated early in his career...
Aware
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 16 2009, 08:15 PM) *
Who is possibly the biggest and most popular golfer of all time in a prominently white man sport? Who is the most recognized boxer of all time? Shut the fuck up.

Was Ali popular with white America when he was fighting????
Tiger Woods has indeed transcended the sport however when it comes to speaking out against racism and other inequalities he remains quiet.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 17 2009, 01:09 AM) *
Yeah Tiger Woods is black, young and a fuck load richer than him. Look how much everybody hates him. rolleyes_anim.gif

I can think of a awful lot of pro golfers who must hate him because he is..............

...........so damm good.

QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 17 2009, 01:12 AM) *
I never said being white made you greater, just more popular in Amerikkka. You telling me if Floyd was white he wouldn't be more popular here?

If Floyd was white he would not act the way he does & thus he would be more popular almost certainly. There are a lot of popular successful black folks. Floyd is not one of them thats all. That said if my mother had a dick she would be my father so I don't know your point.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 16 2009, 06:12 PM) *

1. Your use of "Amerikkka" tells me all I need to know about YOU and your views on race.

2. Your insinuation that he would be beloved in America if he had been white is ridiculous as hell. If he was white and the EXACT Same asshole that he is to people, the exact same person going on tv, throwing money at the camera, essentially mocking those who are in a recession saying "I'm recession proof".

If he was a white guy going around insulting and denigrating his opponents, treating them like shit all for some promo, he'd be despised just like he is now.

Plus he's not a knockout guy. He's got some KO's sure, but he's not a brawling toe to toe fighter, despite talking shit before fights like he's gonna put someone in a fucking coma or something.

He talked all this shit to DLH about how "I'm gonna beat that ass" and he was gonna knock him out, and then he ran all night long.

THAT is why he's not beloved here. Has nothing to do with him being Black. Has EVERYTHING to do with him being a douchebag.

Byrd Man
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 16 2009, 06:26 PM) *
No because he was fighting during difficult times and he said things himself that was racist, but as times have gone he is one of the most influential figures for people of all races.
People hate Floyd because of what he says and what he does, not what he looks like.

Exactly.

Ali was fighting in a completely different era. The attitudes towards race have changed a lot since then. There's still miles to go but it's not an apt. comparison.

Besides, Ali is a fucking God right now. You rarely find anyone who will say shit about him.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 16 2009, 08:27 PM) *
All good, as you can see in this thread I have probably posted about 6 times in about 10 minutes. I was just typing and didn't bother to re-read. Apologise if I offended you or anyone, but I wasn't trying to offend anyone.

no offense from me fitzarooni... lol...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 16 2009, 08:31 PM) *
Exactly.

Ali was fighting in a completely different era. The attitudes towards race have changed a lot since then. There's still miles to go but it's not an apt. comparison.

Besides, Ali is a fucking God right now. You rarely find anyone who will say shit about him.

except joe frazier... lol...
Aware
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 16 2009, 08:26 PM) *
No because he was fighting during difficult times and he said things himself that was racist, but as times have gone he is one of the most influential figures for people of all races.
People hate Floyd because of what he says and what he does, not what he looks like.

Oh that's why he wasn't popular because he said racist things. No he wasn't popular because he was outspoken (war, racism, peace, etc.) and posed a threat to white America.
JD
As a white dude, I respect and accept that I have no idea what it is like to be black.

At the same time, I think that the way we act is what determines how we are viewed.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 17 2009, 01:23 AM) *
Was Ali popular with white America when he was fighting????
Tiger Woods has indeed transcended the sport however when it comes to speaking out against racism and other inequalities he remains quiet.

Ali was as popular with the general population as George Lincon Rockwell at the time because he was just as bigoted & overtly racist.

Why was Louis popular? Why was Robinson popular? Not becaus ethey were white or black but because they carried themselves with class & dignity something Clay did not do.
Aware
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 16 2009, 08:31 PM) *
Exactly.

Attitudes towards race have changed only in the sense that it is more covert. People still hold the same views in their minds and it manifests itself for example in places where there is a mask of anonymity like youtube. Go to youtube see any video of a black person read the comments.... Case closed!!!
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 17 2009, 02:34 AM) *
Oh that's why he wasn't popular because he said racist things. No he wasn't popular because he was outspoken (war, racism, peace, etc.) and posed a threat to white America.

He wasnt popular then because of those things, but is recognised now because he was fighting and trying to make progress for his people, standing up for what he believed in, in a time where doing so carried some harsh penalties. Do you think 40 years from now we'll all be looking back saying, "dam that Floyd Mayweather was a real big influence, it took some balls to stand up and throw money at the camera and tell everyone how rich he was"

Just another poisonous volley of bullshit from a perpetual asswipe.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JD @ Sep 16 2009, 08:39 PM) *
As a white dude, I respect and accept that I have no idea what it is like to be black.

At the same time, I think that the way we act is what determines how we are viewed.

i agree with this jd...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 16 2009, 09:30 PM) *
1. Your use of "Amerikkka" tells me all I need to know about YOU and your views on race.

2. Your insinuation that he would be beloved in America if he had been white is ridiculous as hell. If he was white and the EXACT Same asshole that he is to people, the exact same person going on tv, throwing money at the camera, essentially mocking those who are in a recession saying "I'm recession proof".

If he was a white guy going around insulting and denigrating his opponents, treating them like shit all for some promo, he'd be despised just like he is now.

Plus he's not a knockout guy. He's got some KO's sure, but he's not a brawling toe to toe fighter, despite talking shit before fights like he's gonna put someone in a fucking coma or something.

He talked all this shit to DLH about how "I'm gonna beat that ass" and he was gonna knock him out, and then he ran all night long.

THAT is why he's not beloved here. Has nothing to do with him being Black. Has EVERYTHING to do with him being a douchebag.

Great Post.

Shit I liked Mayweather when he was coming up and fighting anyone, and he showed passion for the sport. Now I absolutely can not stand him. Not liking him has absolutely nothing to do with race. He is just an arrogant prick. He shows very little repect or no respect to anyone, why the fuck should anyone respect him? He needs to put the race card away, and realize there are way more exciting fighters than himself. Yes, he is a great boxer, but some of his performances are not too exciting.

Why the fuck does PBF always bring up money in everything too? He acts as if because he has money he is something special, it is like he is so damn insecure that he is always mentioning how much money he has. Yeah well, wasted enough time in another one of many Floyd threads.
Aware
[quote name='lloyd mayflower' date='Sep 16 2009, 08:41 PM' post='451813']
He wasnt popular then because of those things, but is recognised now because he was fighting and trying to make progress for his people, standing up for what he believed in, in a time where doing so carried some harsh penalties. Do you think 40 years from now we'll all be looking back saying, "dam that Floyd Mayweather was a real big influence, it took some balls to stand up and throw money at the camera and tell everyone how rich he was"

Just another poisonous volley of bullshit from a perpetual asswipe.
[/quote
No 40 years from now we will be saying " Floyd Mayweather was the greatest boxing technician of all time"
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 17 2009, 02:45 AM) *
No 40 years from now we will be saying " Floyd Mayweather was the greatest boxing technician of all time"

No we will be saying he was the most boring, fight ducking fraud ever perpetuated on the sports public.

Lil-lightsout
[/quote
[/quote]

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 17 2009, 02:49 AM) *
No we will be saying he was the most boring, fight ducking fraud ever perpetuated on the sports public.

Spot on, if he even merits that much
thehype
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 16 2009, 09:02 PM) *

No offense, but YOU shut the fuck up Byrd Man!

laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong, you can say whatever you want to say, but God damn that was kind of harsh to say to someone who was just voicing an opinion different than yours.

laugh.gif

Honestly, I think to some extent, some of what Floyd said is true. If he was from Australia, England, Germany, France, Italy, Russia or any other country, with wins over Hatton, De La Hoya, Judah, Gatti, Corrales and Castillo, and being a a 39-0, multi-division champion, he'd likely be the biggest or at least one of the biggest athletes ever in any of those countries. Obviously, Amercia is different simply because of the ethnic diversity (after all, how many other countries can you go to and find communities built around other nationalities...like Irish-American, Italian-Amercians, etc....you don't find too many Irish-Germans or Italian-Germans in Germany) and most sports here are overshadowed by football and basketball, however, that being said, even with his current persona, that of being the bad guy, if he were white as opposed to being black, he likely would be a bigger star. That's got nothing to do with racism though...that's more due to the fact that his own race doesn't really support it's athletes in boxing like that. Ricky Hatton isn't popular in England because he's white...Ricky Hatton is popular in England because British fans support their athletes. The same for Felix Sturm and Arthur Abraham...they're not popular because of their skin color...they're popular because their country supports it's athletes no matter what sport they play. Same with Filipinos...you could be a no-name Filipino fighter, but the entire country will love and support so long as you represent them inside the ring. America is nothing like that. You're not going to see Americans supporting Timothy Bradley just because he's American and you're not going to see African-Americans supporting Timothy Bradley just because he's an African-American. It just doesn't work like that. I think, in his own crazy way, that's kind of what Floyd was trying to get at. He didn't put it out there the right way, but I understand what he's saying. Because America is like that, Floyd had no choice but to play the bad guy because that's the only way he felt he could get attention. At one point, Floyd was very humble and courteous...for many years he played that role and yet he never got the recognition he felt he deserved. That being said, if Floyd was white and acted the same way, he likely would have been a bigger star a lot earlier in his career...just look at the way they built up Pavlik and Joe Mesi...neither one of those guys have half the accomplishments of Floyd and yet, they may be just as known as him. Again, like I said, some of what Floyd said is just silly, but there is some truth to what he's saying...he's just not very good at expressing himself eloquently.

Just my opinion though...but don't even think about telling me to shut the fuck up.

laugh.gif
Aware
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 16 2009, 08:30 PM) *

1. Ok so you know I think America is a racist place...doesn't take a genius to know this as fact.
2. My original post compared him with Eminem who is every bit as vulgar as Mayweather yet beloved by whites.
Aware
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 16 2009, 08:40 PM) *
Attitudes towards race have changed only in the sense that it is more covert. People still hold the same views in their minds and it manifests itself for example in places where there is a mask of anonymity like youtube. Go to youtube see any video of a black person read the comments.... Case closed!!!

Ain't nobody fucking with this so imma take that victory.
lloyd mayflower
Eminem doesnt compete in a field where sportsmanship is expected, Mayweather does and is still nothing but disrespectful to others. And despite his abrasive lyrics, Eminem has nowhere near the level of arrogance that Floyd has
Douchebag
This thread is lame. I used get all bent out of shape about this shit, but at the end of the day class has more to do with how you are viewed than race. Race is only important to dimwits, when you go up some echelons in class it means less and less.
JD
-I'm white and do not like Eminem.

-Racism is certainly alive and well in America.

-Floyd's biggest gripe is how he is portrayed in the media, not whether some back woods bigot does not like him. Unfortunately for Floyd's case, his portrayal comes directly from the way he acts.
Aware
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 16 2009, 09:02 PM) *
Eminem doesnt compete in a field where sportsmanship is expected, Mayweather does and is still nothing but disrespectful to others. And despite his abrasive lyrics, Eminem has nowhere near the level of arrogance that Floyd has

In the ring Mayweather shows excellent sportsmanship especially after the fight.
provo
Floyd Mayweather is a entertainer he will say anything for people 2 talk about him and look we are!
The man is smart this is all a plan so people will watch his fight and it works I bet all the people who are saying he's a idiot and whatever else will be watching saturday in hopes that he gets knocked out!

Floyd loves the attention!
Aware
The irony is Mayweather suffers acute symptoms from the indoctrination of capitalism. He is actually reinforcing the racist institution like so many of the dumb commercial rappers out there.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 16 2009, 10:02 PM) *
Ain't nobody fucking with this so imma take that victory.

So you are basing yor whole arguement on youtube comments? laugh.gif Very credible research. You do realize that you are talking about mostly immature teenagers that don't know shit about life yet? So because of that, you can group people of all ages that think just like those teenagers? All white people think and act like that?

What did you win in your victory?
Aware
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 16 2009, 09:20 PM) *
So you are basing yor whole arguement on youtube comments? laugh.gif Very credible research. You do realize that you are talking about mostly immature teenagers that don't know shit about life yet? So because of that, you can group people of all ages that think just like those teenagers? All white people think and act like that?

What did you win in your victory?

Reread the shit i gave an example of covert racism. I can give more if you want.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 16 2009, 06:40 PM) *

Anonymity breeds ignorance. Of course there are racists in the world. Doesn't mean it's as widespread as you want to believe it is.

There's a lot of problems that we face in the world in the aspect of race. Doesn't mean that everyone that's white is racist. Doesn't mean that whenever a white person criticizes a black athlete, that it's racially motivated.

Despite what Rush Limbaugh or the Glenn Becks or Sean Hannitys of the world would have you believe.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 17 2009, 02:02 AM) *

That is BS & you know it. Attitudes have changed massively & you damm well know it. Sure there are some racist people out there & they come in all shapes sizes & colours but 90% of people judge people based on their actions & conduct not on their ethnicity or religion.

Sure the internet creates anonymity & people can create a personna or personnas as to who or how they would like to be. It does not make it real it is fantasy perpetuated by fantasists with no lives.

I am not sure about anyone else on here but I am like this in real life & the things I say on here I would have no problem saying to anyones face in the real world.
Aware
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 16 2009, 09:24 PM) *
Anonymity breeds ignorance. Of course there are racists in the world. Doesn't mean it's as widespread as you want to believe it is.

There's a lot of problems that we face in the world in the aspect of race. Doesn't mean that everyone that's white is racist. Doesn't mean that whenever a white person criticizes a black athlete, that it's racially motivated.

Despite what Rush Limbaugh or the Glenn Becks or Sean Hannitys of the world would have you believe.

Hilarious how you imply that i said "every" white person is racist. Find one quote where i said that.
Spyder
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 16 2009, 10:18 PM) *
The irony is Mayweather suffers acute symptoms from the indoctrination of capitalism. He is actually reinforcing the racist institution like so many of the dumb commercial rappers out there.

I don't give a shit what you say about Floyd Mayweather...but don't even THINK about fucking with capitalism!

laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 17 2009, 01:57 AM) *
Just my opinion though...but don't even think about telling me to shut the fuck up.

laugh.gif

Hype STFU!

Mate just remember two things.

1) Paragraphs are your friend so use them!

2) STFU!!
The CEO
I saw the title of this thread and thought I should drop by and say wha's up........wha's up.

laugh.gif

I got one to thing to say...Floyd....like Kanye West....knows what he's doin'....

That shit (Racism Talk) works. Creates a buzz....look at the action in this young thread for proof.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 16 2009, 10:22 PM) *
Reread the shit i gave an example of covert racism

No thanks. I will stick to talking boxing for now on, in the BOXING SECTION. My mistake, lecture on professor.
Aware
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 16 2009, 09:25 PM) *
That is BS & you know it. Attitudes have changed massively & you damm well know it. Sure there are some racist people out there & they come in all shapes sizes & colours but 90% of people judge people based on their actions & conduct not on their ethnicity or religion.

Sure the internet creates anonymity & people can create a personna or personnas as to who or how they would like to be. It does not make it real it is fantasy perpetuated by fantasists with no lives.

I am not sure about anyone else on here but I am like this in real life & the things I say on here I would have no problem saying to anyones face in the real world.

That was just one example the consequences become much more "real" when we examine lets say prison statistics. Who police decide to pull over or check (racial profiling) has dire consequences on who ends up in prison. Most drug offenders are white. Five times as many whites use drugs as blacks (This is because whites are 70 percent of the population). Yet blacks comprise the great majority of drug offenders sent to prison.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 16 2009, 06:57 PM) *
No offense, but YOU shut the fuck up Byrd Man!

laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong, you can say whatever you want to say, but God damn that was kind of harsh to say to someone who was just voicing an opinion different than yours.

laugh.gif

Honestly, I think to some extent, some of what Floyd said is true. If he was from Australia, England, Germany, France, Italy, Russia or any other country, with wins over Hatton, De La Hoya, Judah, Gatti, Corrales and Castillo, and being a a 39-0, multi-division champion, he'd likely be the biggest or at least one of the biggest athletes ever in any of those countries. Obviously, Amercia is different simply because of the ethnic diversity (after all, how many other countries can you go to and find communities built around other nationalities...like Irish-American, Italian-Amercians, etc....you don't find too many Irish-Germans or Italian-Germans in Germany) and most sports here are overshadowed by football and basketball, however, that being said, even with his current persona, that of being the bad guy, if he were white as opposed to being black, he likely would be a bigger star. That's got nothing to do with racism though...that's more due to the fact that his own race doesn't really support it's athletes in boxing like that. Ricky Hatton isn't popular in England because he's white...Ricky Hatton is popular in England because British fans support their athletes. The same for Felix Sturm and Arthur Abraham...they're not popular because of their skin color...they're popular because their country supports it's athletes no matter what sport they play. Same with Filipinos...you could be a no-name Filipino fighter, but the entire country will love and support so long as you represent them inside the ring. America is nothing like that. You're not going to see Americans supporting Timothy Bradley just because he's American and you're not going to see African-Americans supporting Timothy Bradley just because he's an African-American. It just doesn't work like that. I think, in his own crazy way, that's kind of what Floyd was trying to get at. He didn't put it out there the right way, but I understand what he's saying. Because America is like that, Floyd had no choice but to play the bad guy because that's the only way he felt he could get attention. At one point, Floyd was very humble and courteous...for many years he played that role and yet he never got the recognition he felt he deserved. That being said, if Floyd was white and acted the same way, he likely would have been a bigger star a lot earlier in his career...just look at the way they built up Pavlik and Joe Mesi...neither one of those guys have half the accomplishments of Floyd and yet, they may be just as known as him. Again, like I said, some of what Floyd said is just silly, but there is some truth to what he's saying...he's just not very good at expressing himself eloquently.

laugh.gif

What if I add SIR at the end of it? lol

Nah I get what you're saying, I just think it has more to do with his attitude and the way he handles himself. being an asshole doesn't ingratiate you with the public. It just doesn't. Hey's the "Bad Guy" for a reason. It's not like he's gone out of his way to be humble and friendly and people just spazz out because he's black. Or that people struggle with a reason to dislike him.

He's more than made his case for why he should not be liked. He's embraced that attitude. I can almost guarantee that if his attitude was different (say more like DLH since that's who he brought up in the article) and everything else was the same (record, fight style, etc) he'd be more liked.

There's certain people who love to root for the bad guy, but that's not the majority. Most people (like myself) cannot stand when there are those who are disrespectful rude and arrogant. That has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with being an asshole.

Let me quote Rocky 5 here for a sec. lol. Tommy was knockin' dudes out left and right, albeit tomato cans. But he also had this attitude that he was better than others. He disrespected Rocky when everyone knew Rocky put him on and made him who he was, and that's when everyone fucking turned on him.

If he had been more humble, more ingratiating to the public, and whatnot, it would have been a whole new ballgame. He'd have to fight stiffer competition, but the reason everyone seemingly piled on him is because he didn't respect those who came before him and who put him where he was.

Same with Floyd. Talking all this shit about Ali and how he's better than Ali and Robinson and whatnot.

Giving himself nicknames like "Money" and throwing money at the camera talking shit and just being an asshole. That's a finely crafted image he's created. He wanted it this way, but to now claim racism is just stupid.

Doesn't matter what country he's in. If he's disrespectful and arrogant and rude he's gonna find people do not like him.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 16 2009, 07:26 PM) *
Hilarious how you imply that i said "every" white person is racist. Find one quote where i said that.

Wasn't my point to insinuate you said that. Even if you did use the phrase "Amerikka". The only people who use that phrase are typically those who view "The White Man" as racists holding back "The Black Man"

Usually there's no differential or exceptions.

But as I said, I wasn't trying to insinuate you meant all white people. Apologies if that's the way it came off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.