Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does Mayweather Sr. Deserve A Libel Suit?...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
dominicbuilder9k1
There is a LOUD whisper that Pacquiao and his people may file a case of LIBEL against Mayweather Sr with regards to his accusation that that the NO.1 Pound for Pound boxer in the world is using STEROIDS...in my opinion, they should just ignore Mayweather Sr...UNBRIDLED TOUNGUE is the trademark of Mayweathers....... They should just ignore the old man and not file a case against him on one condition : MAYWEATHER SR. WILL DRINK A GLASS OF URINE BY MARQUEZ...???......hahaha ...seriously,... Do you think Mayweather Sr deserve a libel suit?.....
leonthegee
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Sep 17 2009, 12:09 AM) *
There is a LOUD whisper that Pacquiao and his people may file a case of LIBEL against Mayweather Sr with regards to his accusation that that the NO.1 Pound for Pound boxer in the world is using STEROIDS...in my opinion, they should just ignore Mayweather Sr...UNBRIDLED TOUNGUE is the trademark of Mayweathers....... They should just ignore the old man and not file a case against him on one condition : MAYWEATHER SR. WILL DRINK A GLASS OF URINE BY MARQUEZ...???......hahaha ...seriously,... Do you think Mayweather Sr deserve a libel suit?.....

in my book it's a waste of money. the money they would spend on lawyers and for what? it's not like big floyd is rich or something. now if it were jr that would be different, jr has money and hed be worth sueing.
STEVENSKI
Yeah he should be sued for libel. If it is proven it is a false accusation he should face the full penalty of the law.
Snoop
I think they are fully deserving and just in filing a lawsuit. It's a bullshit accusation that came out of nowhere.

Whether or not they should pursue it is a different matter. Taking it to court will only bring it more attention in the public media regardless if they win or not.
iron_mike
Hells yes he should sue...1st off, Sr. made $ as DLH trainer for how many years? You saw the house he lives in in Las Vegas on Hatton Pac 24/7, but even if he had 20 dollars to his name, don't let scumbag marble mouthed crackhead get away with that shit.
STEVENSKI
Just to clarify guys it was pointed out to me that Floyd is not a crackhead he just speaks like one. His addiction is to powdered substances

KookedKrack
you can get sued for saying you THINK someone is on steroids? Are we no longer allowed personal opinions?
iron_mike
Yea, Hatton 24/7, 3rd episode I think opens with him stirring it and drinking it, looked like he had an orgasm..."my goodness"

I will say, when I was a pot smoking teen, nothing would hit the spot like kool-aid, extra powder so at the end you drink all thit thick sugary goodness...nothing better for cotton mouth
pcraw
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Sep 17 2009, 08:39 AM) *
you can get sued for saying you THINK someone is on steroids? Are we no longer allowed personal opinions?

My thoughts exactly. I mean can Sr. sue for everyone alleging he's a crackhead when he doesn't even drink?
Snoop
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Sep 17 2009, 01:39 PM) *

There's a difference between having personal opinions and making those personal opinions public with the clear intention of defacing someone's reputation. Accusations like steroid usage in a sport like boxing could severely hurt a fighter's career and accordingly, his paycheck and livelihood.
Snoop
QUOTE (pcraw @ Sep 17 2009, 01:45 PM) *
My thoughts exactly. I mean can Sr. sue for everyone alleging he's a crackhead when he doesn't even drink?

Imagine if there was a published FightHype article about Freddie Roach claiming Floyd Sr. was a crackhead. "I've never personally seen him smoke the stuff, but the way he talks and the way he moves, it's clear he's a crackhead." You think that would be acceptable?
torvix2000
Roach should simply fire back with words. After all, he's at par with Sr. when it comes to that.
torvix2000
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 17 2009, 01:47 PM) *
Imagine if there was a published FightHype article about Freddie Roach claiming Floyd Sr. was a crackhead. "I've never personally seen him smoke the stuff, but the way he talks and the way he moves, it's clear he's a crackhead." You think that would be acceptable?

Yes! That would be acceptable.

I think a lot of people are angry because Sr. didn't attack Pacquiao. He attacked boxing!!!
pcraw
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 17 2009, 08:47 AM) *

I still think that is opinion. Everyone is sue happy. There is no proof that Margarito had plastered wraps against Cotto, but it haven't stopped the public opinion of many speaking out about it. But it's their opinion.
Snoop
QUOTE (pcraw @ Sep 17 2009, 02:09 PM) *
I still think that is opinion. Everyone is sue happy. There is no proof that Margarito had plastered wraps against Cotto, but it haven't stopped the public opinion of many speaking out about it. But it's their opinion.

I think I should have capitalized the word PUBLISHED. People on a discussion board can say whatever the hell they want and I don't think it should be ever censored. But putting it as a PUBLISHED press release on a reputable website is completely different.

I also think there is a higher probability of Margarito using illegal wraps against Cotto due to logical evidence i.e. patterns of the fight progression correlating with how those handwraps work, the blood stain, and the fact that he was CAUGHT doing it is what brings the entire thing into question. On the other hand, accusing Pacquiao, who has never had a hint of the behavior in his entire career, is a bit unreasonable, especially if the only reason you have is because of "how he shakes his head".
thisneverworks
First off, if anything it is SLANDER not libel. He didn't write anything, he said something.

Also since Pacquaio is a public figure then for it to be slander it needs to be proved that Floyd made the statement with malice. Basically, he would have to know what he was saying wasn't true (doesn't seem to fit there and/or would be hard to prove) or said the statement with disregard to the truth (again doesn't seem to apply and/or would be hard to approve).

Think about it this way, if Floyd defamed Pacquaio then guess what the following quote from Stevenski would be?

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 17 2009, 09:36 AM) *
Just to clarify guys it was pointed out to me that Floyd is not a crackhead he just speaks like one. His addiction is to powdered substances
torvix2000
I think boxing should get back at Mayweather Sr.

He's casting a shadow of doubt to the thing that feeds him. The timing of his irrationalities couldn't be any worse.
provo
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Sep 17 2009, 06:39 AM) *

Exactly! That's stupid if they file ! If that's the case all of us here would get sued for the shit we say LOL
pcraw
QUOTE (thisneverworks @ Sep 17 2009, 09:21 AM) *
First off, if anything it is SLANDER not libel. He didn't write anything, he said something.

Also since Pacquaio is a public figure then for it to be slander it needs to be proved that Floyd made the statement with malice. Basically, he would have to know what he was saying wasn't true (doesn't seem to fit there and/or would be hard to prove) or said the statement with disregard to the truth (again doesn't seem to apply and/or would be hard to approve).

Think about it this way, if Floyd defamed Pacquaio then guess what the following quote from Stevenski would be?

Once again agreed. And I think Teddy Atlas stating he believes Margarito had loaded gloves against Cotto on an episode of FNF is considered PUBLISHED!
Snoop
QUOTE (provo @ Sep 17 2009, 03:00 PM) *
Exactly! That's stupid if they file ! If that's the case all of us here would get sued for the shit we say LOL

But what Mayweather is doing is FAR different than what we do here as posters. He's made this "news" PUBLIC on reputable websites and news medias. I don't see why people can't see the difference of seeing an article written about unsupported accusations of steroids on Boxrec with what we banter about back and forth on a message board.
Snoop
QUOTE (pcraw @ Sep 17 2009, 03:04 PM) *
Once again agreed. And I think Teddy Atlas stating he believes Margarito had loaded gloves against Cotto is considered PUBLISHED!

Yet you don't address the fact there is more viability in the Margarito loading his gloves against Cotto accusation than Mayweather Sr. just out of the blue saying Pacquiao is on steroids, or have the decency to address the original poster (me) directly. There is reason to doubt Margarito's win against Cotto. There is no reason to assume Pacquiao is on the juice.
provo
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 17 2009, 08:04 AM) *
But what Mayweather is doing is FAR different than what we do here as posters. He's made this "news" PUBLIC on reputable websites and news medias. I don't see why people can't see the difference of seeing an article written about unsupported accusations of steroids on Boxrec with what we banter about back and forth on a message board.

Ok ! But people have a right to give their own opinion, who cares what he said that's what he thinks! The President of the united states called Kanye west a JACKASS! LoL
torvix2000
If only boxers will play a lot like Pac does in between fights. Then, they'd always be in super dooper shape no matter how much they eat. And their protein intake will be converted to lean muscles.

pcraw
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 17 2009, 10:07 AM) *
Yet you don't address the fact there is more viability in the Margarito loading his gloves against Cotto accusation than Mayweather Sr. just out of the blue saying Pacquiao is on steroids, or have the decency to address the original poster (me) directly. There is reason to doubt Margarito's win against Cotto. There is no reason to assume Pacquiao is on the juice.

First and foremost me not addressing you directly has nothing to do with my decency. So here you go Snoopnick, whether you think Margarito's loaded gloves is more logical it's still ALLEGED. None of the evidence you pointed out was from the Cotto fight, so that's an opinion that's not backed with facts. Mayweather Sr. said the same thing about Holyfield and that flew below the radar, but how dare him say something about Pacquiao. If everyone thought like this everyone would be getting sued. It's absurd. I'm not comparing what we say on the message boards to published material, but every time ESPN shows a highlight of Cotto/Margarito they say, "That win is of course in question?" In question, based on what Brother Naazim's finding an entire fight later?

Since we want to quote all of these laws I'm just saying he's innocent until proven guilty and he was acquitted of any wrong doing for the Cotto fight, so Brian Kenny and Teddy Atlas is no more justified in still believing he had illegal wraps against Cotto as senior believing Manny is on juice; all opinion with no facts to back it. To Snoopnick
Snoop
QUOTE (pcraw @ Sep 17 2009, 03:35 PM) *
First and foremost me not addressing you directly has nothing to do with my decency. So here you go Snoopnick, whether you think Margarito's loaded gloves is more logical it's still ALLEGED. None of the evidence you pointed out was from the Cotto fight, so that's an opinion that's not backed with facts. Mayweather Sr. said the same thing about Holyfield and that flew below the radar, but how dare him say something about Pacquiao. If everyone thought like this everyone would be getting sued. It's absurd. I'm not comparing what we say on the message boards to published material, but every time ESPN shows a highlight of Cotto/Margarito they say, "That win is of course in question?" In question, based on what Brother Naazim's finding an entire fight later?

Since we want to quote all of these laws I'm just saying he's innocent until proven guilty and he was acquitted of any wrong doing for the Cotto fight, so Brian Kenny and Teddy Atlas is no more justified in still believing he had illegal wraps against Cotto as senior believing Manny is on juice; all opinion with no facts to back it. To Snoopnick

LOL. Thank you sir. The formality is appreciated.

As for the Holyfield example, wasn't his name or address linked to some drug enhancement company? The point is, there was justifiable reason to.

As to the Cotto/Margarito example, Nazim's discovery of the wraps a fight afterward, is justifiable reason to, at the very least, speculate about the past. A comparable situation in regards to Pacquaio, is that he gets caught NOW, and then people start asking, "Well was he on roids when he beat Hatton? Morales? Barerra?" Those type of discussions I would have an understanding for, but Mayweather Sr. just accusing Pacquaio, out of nowhere, with no reasons in his present actions or performance, outside of him "shaking is head", is ridiculous.
thehype
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 17 2009, 11:49 AM) *
As for the Holyfield example, wasn't his name or address linked to some drug enhancement company? The point is, there was justifiable reason to.

Not for nothing, but a reliable source has stated that Pacquiao's conditioning coach, Alex Ariza, has admitted to using and selling steroids in the past. Not saying that it makes Manny guilty, but it does make one wonder if Ariza is still involved with steroids and, if so, could he be providing it to some of his clients, like Manny.

dntknw.gif
thehype
Oh, and for the record, NO he doe NOT deserve a libel suit because, more than likely, they will lose.

Mayweather Sr. didn't say, "MANNY PACQUIAO IS TAKING STEROIDS!"

What he said was, "MY HONEST OPINION, I BELIEVE HE'S ON SOME TYPE OF SUPPLEMENTS."

There's a big difference in those statements.

In fact, the only time when the word "steroids" was even mentioned is when he said:

"I don't think he can beat Lil' Floyd with steroids in him or not."

and

"I think they're pushing Pacquiao a little too much, even if he's got 'roids in his body. The steroids aren't going to make him no faster. It's going make him relentless and hit strong, but that's it. It ain't going to put no knowledge in your head."

Neither one of those statements are saying, "Manny Pacquiao IS taking steroids."

I think some people are getting bent way out of shape just because we're talking about Manny Pacquiao. I mean, he could have just as easily said the same thing about Timothy Bradley and nobody would have even cared.

laugh.gif

Snoop
Though Mayweather Sr. didn't explicitly say, "Manny Pacquaio is taking steroids!", people are now speculating about whether or not he does. Thoughts such as, "You know, it DOES seem possible" start to fester in their heads and before you know it, the rumor becomes a half-believed truth.

Who knows, years down the line we may be talking about Manny the way we talk about Toney, Mosley, Roy, etc. Newcomers won't know the ambiguity of how it all started might start associating "steroids" with "Pacquiao", which IMO, is unfair.

But you're right. They would probably lose a lawsuit since he didn't explicitly accuse anyone, but I think his intention is exactly what's happening in the public. Actually, it's a pretty smart PR move now that I think about it.
thehype
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 17 2009, 03:07 PM) *
Though Mayweather Sr. didn't explicitly say, "Manny Pacquaio is taking steroids!", people are now speculating about whether or not he does. Thoughts such as, "You know, it DOES seem possible" start to fester in their heads and before you know it, the rumor becomes a half-believed truth.

Who knows, years down the line we may be talking about Manny the way we talk about Toney, Mosley, Roy, etc. Newcomers won't know the ambiguity of how it all started might start associating "steroids" with "Pacquiao", which IMO, is unfair.

But you're right. They would probably lose a lawsuit since he didn't explicitly accuse anyone, but I think his intention is exactly what's happening in the public. Actually, it's a pretty smart PR move now that I think about it.

Agreed.

Personally, I just like to believe that everybody uses something.

laugh.gif

Holyfield, Tyson, Roy, Lacy...even Bernard when he made his move up to light heavy...you just don't get jacked like that from exercising and saying your prayers. Like the Hulkster said, you gotta take your vitamins too.

laugh.gif

Not for nothing though, the way that Manny likes to flex and pose at weigh-ins like he's at a bodybuilding competition, that kind of reminds me of how Vargas was acting just prior to getting busted himself.
torvix2000
I've read somewhere that during his primary schooling days, Pacquiao was an athlete. A runner. LOL! He must have started steroids use during those days.

Sorry. No steroids here. You just got a freak of nature who loves sports.

The CEO
You support an enhancer user, torvix.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (thisneverworks @ Sep 17 2009, 03:21 PM) *

My quote is 100% correct & true. I was informed that he was never a crackhead & it is my opinion that he speaks like one. It is a well known fact & documented on video that he has a serious addiction to powdered substances. That powder happens to be Kool Aid.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (provo @ Sep 17 2009, 04:14 PM) *
Ok ! But people have a right to give their own opinion, who cares what he said that's what he thinks! The President of the united states called Kanye west a JACKASS! LoL

Once again proven & the video evidence is there to show that Mr West is indeed a jackass.
torvix2000
QUOTE (The CEO @ Sep 18 2009, 12:18 AM) *
You support an enhancer user, torvix.

Yes. Pacquiao has been taking steroids ever since he blew out Barrera.
The CEO
Let's take a quick look at some action from Packy's fights......Senior's right....the drugs don't enhance his Defense.

Cotto KO6.
dominicbuilder9k1
It is not a matter of whether a person should be sued for airing his "honest opinion" but it is a question of whether a person deserve to be fined for airing his "honest opinion" which is slanderous and defamatory in nature?...
The article I've read written by Ben Thomson is entitled "Mayweather Sr. Says Steroids Are The secret Of Pacquiao's Success"... The "honest opinion" by Mayweather Sr. was, as far as I'm concern, no longer a mere opinion but very damaging and defamatory when he said, to qoute: "I think they really pushing pacquiao a little bit too much, EVEN IF HE GOT ROIDS IN HIS BODY"...
Mayweather Sr is talking a definite statement that Pacquiao is using STEROIDS,...I therefore have the same mind with Mr. Ben Thomson that Mayweather Sr. says the secret of Pacquiao's success is the used of steroids...

Now, whether Mayweather Sr. can back it up with evidence or not, which i think he can't, is a different matter...... my question is: Does he deserve to be sued?...

A libel case usually prosper in court when somebody issues a very damaging and defamatory statement that may cause anxiety and sleepless nights,...in some cases the family, friends and relatives of the person being accused are likewise affected, more so if the accusation are false and incorrect....

I already posted my opinion in this same topic that I started....as far as I'm concern, Pacquiao et al., should just ignore Mayweather Sr....

I believe Manny Pacquiao when he said he does not know what is STEROIDS... because in the Philippines only few group of people know what is steroids... i am not insulting the Filipino people but this is the truth,... In the Philippines only those who are in the medical works (not all) and bodybuilders and some other few people know about steroids... I was offered 3 times to use this stuff and 3 times I turned down the offer, I workout regularly and those who use steroids really packed muscles much much more faster and bigger muscles than those who do not use steroids...but the issue is this: DOES MAYWEATHER SR. DESERVE A LIBEL SUIT?...what's your opinion?... dominicbuilder

RiverSide
Even if they tried they would not win.

You would need to prove that harm was done, or will be done, intentionally. Now, unless Pac can prove that fewer fans will be buying his PPV against Cotto due to those accusations... He aint got nothing he can win with.
torvix2000
QUOTE (The CEO @ Sep 18 2009, 12:44 AM) *
Let's take a quick look at some action from Packy's fights......Senior's right....the drugs don't enhance his Defense.

Cotto KO6.

I kinda miss Pacquiao being punished like these. LOL!
torvix2000
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Sep 18 2009, 04:34 AM) *
I believe Manny Pacquiao when he said he does not know what is STEROIDS... because in the Philippines only few group of people know what is steroids... i am not insulting the Filipino people but this is the truth,...

3rd world countries know what steroids are. I think they simply associate the term "steroid" with something bad. To them, steroids are like meth.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 18 2009, 07:15 AM) *
I kinda miss Pacquiao being punished like these. LOL!

Cotto will refresh your memory laugh.gif
iron_mike
Well Kizer, Pac's advisor/lawyer whatever, said by crackshead sr going on tv with the juice allegations would only strengthen a defamtion/slander/libel lawsuit. I really hope it goes through, sues for 100mm, judge orders 20 mm...then I'd be happy
singletrack
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 17 2009, 04:11 PM) *
Agreed.

Personally, I just like to believe that everybody uses something.

laugh.gif

Holyfield, Tyson, Roy, Lacy...even Bernard when he made his move up to light heavy...you just don't get jacked like that from exercising and saying your prayers. Like the Hulkster said, you gotta take your vitamins too.

laugh.gif

Not for nothing though, the way that Manny likes to flex and pose at weigh-ins like he's at a bodybuilding competition, that kind of reminds me of how Vargas was acting just prior to getting busted himself.

Oh man, take cover from Method. HERE COMES THE PAIN!

: P
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 18 2009, 01:19 AM) *
3rd world countries know what steroids are. I think they simply associate the term "steroid" with something bad. To them, steroids are like meth.

That's incorrect,...I cannot speak for other countries or should I say other 3rd world countries,...but it is true, only few group of people here in the Philippines know what is STEROIDS...by the way, shaking of hands,..legs...arms, ..even heads are ways of loosening muscles which were the usual practice of athletes...shaking his head before the fight was commonly practice by Duran before the fights... I know he was not an ESTEROID user...I see many boxers do this head shaking and sometimes with mouth stretching as well... I stretched my chest by doing an imaginary flies and shake my head many times (before workout) which make a cracking sound (nobody hear except me) in the veins of my neck that tends to loosen muscles and improve blood circulation and I never used STEROIDS ever... My point?...those shaking of heads are normal among active (athletes) people before they start using their muscles... It is therefore illogical to associate head shaking to using of STEROIDS...hahaha...
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 17 2009, 08:40 AM) *
Oh, and for the record, NO he doe NOT deserve a libel suit because, more than likely, they will lose.

Mayweather Sr. didn't say, "MANNY PACQUIAO IS TAKING STEROIDS!"

What he said was, "MY HONEST OPINION, I BELIEVE HE'S ON SOME TYPE OF SUPPLEMENTS."

There's a big difference in those statements.

In fact, the only time when the word "steroids" was even mentioned is when he said:

"I don't think he can beat Lil' Floyd with steroids in him or not."

and

"I think they're pushing Pacquiao a little too much, even if he's got 'roids in his body. The steroids aren't going to make him no faster. It's going make him relentless and hit strong, but that's it. It ain't going to put no knowledge in your head."

Neither one of those statements are saying, "Manny Pacquiao IS taking steroids."

I think some people are getting bent way out of shape just because we're talking about Manny Pacquiao. I mean, he could have just as easily said the same thing about Timothy Bradley and nobody would have even cared.

laugh.gif

I think the article written by Ben Thomson is very clear,...The statement made by Maywearther Sr lead him to understand that he (Mayweather Sr.) is accusing Pacquiao of using Steroids...tho not explicitly said yet it was clearly implied that the no. 1 P4P boxer in the world is using STEROIDS... we only need to read between the lines, as the saying goes, in order to digest and understand the Mayweather statement, and the fact that he repeatedly say this in the media is most likely to destroy the integrity of Pacquaio as the no. 1 P4P boxer... The question remain...Does Mayweather Deserve a Libel Suit?...
torvix2000
Roger Mayweather makes much much more sense.

http://www.boxingcore.com/2009/09/18/roger...o-cotto-winner/
Keith
Who cares? Its a personal matter between Pac and Sr. I could care less what one says about the other. This is a boxing forum... not a law firm.
Snoop
QUOTE (singletrack @ Sep 18 2009, 09:30 PM) *
Oh man, take cover from Method. HERE COMES THE PAIN!

: P

laugh.gif I was thinking the same thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.