Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fighters with promotional companies
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
lloyd mayflower
I have been wondering, with the volume of fighters starting up promotional companies, eg in Britain we have Hatton, Calzaghe and Hayemaker promotions all starting up recently, and others like RJJ's square ring, are all these companies set up to be self serving for the fighters (personally i think Calzaghe promotions was set up to maximise Joe's income from the Jones fight and he has no intention of going into that game), or does anyone stand a chance of making a real go of it.

I guess what im asking is do you think anyone stands a chance of breaking the strangehold that is top rank and golden boy promotions, and if so, who do you envisage could break the mould?
lloyd mayflower
Should have stuck this in the boxing section. If any of the mods read this could you maybe move it over for me?

Cheers, and apologies for my inability to operate a computelator properly
thehype
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 17 2009, 07:02 PM) *
I guess what im asking is do you think anyone stands a chance of breaking the strangehold that is top rank and golden boy promotions, and if so, who do you envisage could break the mould?

Nope. None of those fighters are really serious about the promotional companies. Hell, truth be told, I don't even think Oscar was that serious about his company...he needed someone like Schaefer to come in and really run things. That's what all those guys need if they're really serious about promoting...they need to build a solid team that they can trust to run the show and I just don't see any of them doing that thus far. I mean, Square Ring has been around FOREVER now and the only shows they really "promote" are when Roy fights. In my opinion, all of these fighters that are setting up their own promotional company are doing it on the advice of HBO in order to cut the middle man, the promoter, right out of the picture. I mean, take Mayweather Promotions for example. They're supposed to be the "lead" promoter for his fight against Marquez and yet they're paying Golden Boy...yes, PAYING Golden Boy to do all the work that a promotional company should do (i.e. sending out press releases, setting up conference calls, etc.). Or how about Wright and Hatton...both of those guys started their own promotional companies, and yet, they're still promoted by Golden Boy. What kind of sense does that make? I know in Wright's case, he started the company, but never got himself a promoter's license so HBO told his ass that he needed to get with Golden Boy so they could "act" as his promoter so the network wouldn't be accused of violating the Ali Act when they tried to set up fights for Wink. It's crazy man.
Snoop
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 18 2009, 02:32 AM) *
Nope. None of those fighters are really serious about the promotional companies. Hell, truth be told, I don't even think Oscar was that serious about his company...he needed someone like Schaefer to come in and really run things. That's what all those guys need if they're really serious about promoting...they need to build a solid team that they can trust to run the show and I just don't see any of them doing that thus far. I mean, Square Ring has been around FOREVER now and the only shows they really "promote" are when Roy fights. In my opinion, all of these fighters that are setting up their own promotional company are doing it on the advice of HBO in order to cut the middle man, the promoter, right out of the picture. I mean, take Mayweather Promotions for example. They're supposed to be the "lead" promoter for his fight against Marquez and yet they're paying Golden Boy...yes, PAYING Golden Boy to do all the work that a promotional company should do (i.e. sending out press releases, setting up conference calls, etc.). Or how about Wright and Hatton...both of those guys started their own promotional companies, and yet, they're still promoted by Golden Boy. What kind of sense does that make? I know in Wright's case, he started the company, but never got himself a promoter's license so HBO told his ass that he needed to get with Golden Boy so they could "act" as his promoter so the network wouldn't be accused of violating the Ali Act when they tried to set up fights for Wink. It's crazy man.

I was about to say the same thing. Many people think DLH is behind Golden Boy Promotions, but it's really Richard Schaefer who's the brains. I don't see any of the other fighter owned promotional companies being successful.
leonthegee
if u can save 5-10% why not do it. apparently their making more money then they were when they were with the big dogs otherwise im sure they wouldnt be doing it.
Snoop
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Sep 18 2009, 12:30 PM) *
if u can save 5-10% why not do it. apparently their making more money then they were when they were with the big dogs otherwise im sure they wouldnt be doing it.

I don't think it's as simple as that. Promoters are paid for a reason, to sell the fight. You have a shitty promoter, you have a shitty salesperson, you have a shitty turnout at your fight. In the end, it may cost you more money than it saved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.