Full Version: Floyd Weighs 146???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
JD
So much for 144.
E.C.LEGEND
thats what I was thinking! dntknw.gif
Snoop
So is there going to be a fine or something? Are there any pics?
EirbinX
i heard From Dan Raphael of Espn.com (not personally on espnews channel) that mayweather reconstructed the contract last night and that every pound he was over 144 Marquez would get a certain amount
dbut
Ringtv reports that no such agreement was in place; according to Keith Kizer of the Nevada State Athletic commision...
Box in Hand
Here is what I found on fight news. This is a first for Floyd and another problem in a long list of them. We may just see an upset. The stars are aligned in Marquez's favor.

Floyd Mayweather 146 vs. Juan Manuel Marquez 142*
* Contractual weight was the 147 pound welter limit, but penalties were written into the contract for excess poundage over 144. ”The penalty [for Mayweather] was a significant amount of money,” said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.
thehype
laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure everyone, including Marquez and Beristain, already knew that Floyd was going to come in just below 147. From my understanding, this was already taken care of several weeks ago (hence the reason why Oscar and Richard were mum on the contract weight and told everyone to tune-in to the weigh-in to find out). They simply restructued the contract, through a little more money at Marquez to make him happy and kept it moving. Anyway, here are some pics:

Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 18 2009, 09:10 PM) *
The other thing I'm interested in is Mayweather fans used to argue that Mayweather shouldn't fight guys like Margarito, Williams and the real welters because he isn't even a real welter himself. He was a undisputed welter weight champion and can't make 144. You have no excuses.

He has an excuse Fitz... he's a pussy.
ezdoseit
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 18 2009, 08:10 PM) *
Mayweather looks to be in great shape, no surprises there. Not surprised that Marquez doesn't look great either, he is a little soft around the belly, you can notice it around the love handles. I knew he wasn't going to fill out, even at around 135 with Diaz he didn't fill out as well as he had.
Compare them in the past.

The other thing I'm interested in is Mayweather fans used to argue that Mayweather shouldn't fight guys like Margarito, Williams and the real welters because he isn't even a real welter himself. He was a undisputed welter weight champion and can't make 144. You have no excuses.

he is a real welter weight the problem is the other guys or not margarito and williams are jr middle weights and why shoulsd he fight them who have they fought themselves and cotto. i guess those are the best boxing has to offer i think not anyway why hasent cotto given mosely an rematch no one talks about that are y margarito give paul williams a rematch when
D-MARV
Mayweather looks to be in great shape, no surprises there. Not surprised that Marquez doesn't look great either, he is a little soft around the belly, you can notice it around the love handles. I knew he wasn't going to fill out, even at around 135 with Diaz he didn't fill out as well as he had.
Compare them in the past.

I don't remember anybody saying that Floyd "Shouldn't" fight those guys because he's not a true welter. Granted, Floyd is a "small" welter, that's certainly no reason NOT to fight a Margarito or a Williams.
Fitz
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Sep 19 2009, 11:37 AM) *
I don't remember anybody saying that Floyd "Shouldn't" fight those guys because he's not a true welter. Granted, Floyd is a "small" welter, that's certainly no reason NOT to fight a Margarito or a Williams.

I remember. Maybe you didn't say that, but I do remember some of his fans using that 'get out'.
torvix2000
QUOTE (ezdoseit @ Sep 19 2009, 01:32 AM) *
Floyd is a real welter weight. The problem is the other guys or Margarito and Williams are Jr. middle weights and why should he fight them? Who have they fought? Themselves and cotto? I guess those are the best boxing has to offer. I think not. Anyway, why hasn't Cotto given Mosley a rematch? No one talks about that...

LOL!
darroy
QUOTE (ezdoseit @ Sep 18 2009, 08:32 PM) *
he is a real welter weight the problem is the other guys or not margarito and williams are jr middle weights and why shoulsd he fight them who have they fought themselves and cotto. i guess those are the best boxing has to offer i think not anyway why hasent cotto given mosely an rematch no one talks about that are y margarito give paul williams a rematch when

WTF are you talking about???!!!!!!!!!
torvix2000
QUOTE (darroy @ Sep 19 2009, 02:03 AM) *
WTF are you talking about???!!!!!!!!!

That those "non-welterweight" guys should move up so that Floyd will be alone at welter. What a puss*sy. Why not Floyd make them get out of the division by fighting them.
Lil-lightsout

Are you kidding? There WILL ALWAYS be excuses.
torvix2000
QUESTION:

Was there ever a catchweight of 144 to begin with? Or they just didn't tell the public that there was no catchweight and that every fine to be paid by Mayweather has already been factored in into JMM's fees?
lloyd mayflower
There was never any danger that this was going to be anthing other than a 147 tune up for Floyd. I just hope that if there is a god in the sky, JMM dismounts Floyds bottom jaw.
imhere
Look how floyd take the advantage of weight? How pussy is that to not fight on the agreed weight limit. Imagine how floyd will re-hydrate tom. 155-160lbs vs 145-148lbs, maybe marquez is already re-hydrated at 142. I can already see the headlines tomorrow. Floyd by UD.
torvix2000
QUOTE (imhere @ Sep 19 2009, 03:50 AM) *
How pussy is that to not fight on the agreed weight limit.

If there ever was an agreed weight limit of 144. I think they just didn't tell the public for fear of lost ticket sales.
darroy
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 18 2009, 09:26 PM) *
That those "non-welterweight" guys should move up so that Floyd will be alone at welter. What a puss*sy. Why not Floyd make them get out of the division by fighting them.

thanks for clarifyng that. i agree with you 100% floyd should fight those guys if he's the fighter he tells everyone he is. he's gifted and has some great victories in the jr and light weight divisions but at welter he's been veeerrrrry selective with his choice of opponents,
Aware
This is how it goes when you face the bigger name. Floyd paid his dues when he conceded to many Oscar De La Hoya demands including gloves and weight. He weighed in at 150 while De La Hoya weighed 154 hmmm the same difference as this fight. Floyd just sucked it up and got the job done. Were people giving De La Hoya shit when he made these advantageous demands? Hardly.
JaRaNDa
Marquez already looks soft, and will most likley look more soft come fight night! I expect Marquez to look very slow with that extra weight and specially against an already fast Mayweather! Not to mention Mayweather is very accurate with his punches expect Marquez to look very slow and have heavy legs!
Something still tells me this is going the distance!?! dntknw.gif

This is not evan going to be live down under because of a UFC fight, but instead will be shown as a PPV on a wednesday! good ridence to a rubbish fight!

FUCK MAYWEATHER!!

Hope there is all the crossed fingers and prayers in the world for Marquez to put this joke away!
Aware
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Sep 19 2009, 02:23 AM) *
Marquez already looks soft, and will most likley look more soft come fight night! I expect Marquez to look very slow with that extra weight and specially against an already fast Mayweather! Not to mention Mayweather is very accurate with his punches expect Marquez to look very slow and have heavy legs!
Something still tells me this is going the distance!?! dntknw.gif

This is not evan going to be live down under because of a UFC fight, but instead will be shown as a PPV on a wednesday! good ridence to a rubbish fight!

FUCK MAYWEATHER!!

Hope there is all the crossed fingers and prayers in the world for Marquez to put this joke away!

Yes that's it, disparage Marquez as much as possible so that if Mayweather wins he did it against a sub par opponent. At the same time hope with all your heart that Marquez brutalizes Mayweather. That is the definition of a hater.
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 19 2009, 06:30 AM) *
Yes that's it, disparage Marquez as much as possible so that if Mayweather wins he did it against a sub par opponent. At the same time hope with all your heart that Marquez brutalizes Mayweather. That is the definition of a hater.

...so you figured I don't like Mayweather..good for you, as you CAN find me on the Mayweather Hate Wagon LOL!

Yeah I like Marquez alot and hope he wins..so where you going?

I take it your one of the people that thinks this is a legit fight!

Anyways I hope you enjoy the fight tomorrow man!
Fitz
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 19 2009, 04:05 PM) *
He weighed in at 150 while De La Hoya weighed 154 hmmm the same difference as this fight.

How stupid. DLH and Mayweather was scheduled at 154 for DLH WBC title. This was scheduled at a catch weight at 144. There is a difference you muppet.
Aware
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Sep 19 2009, 02:37 AM) *
...so you figured I don't like Mayweather..good for you, as you CAN find me on the Mayweather Hate Wagon LOL!

Yeah I like Marquez alot and hope he wins..so where you going?

I take it your one of the people that thinks this is a legit fight!

Anyways I hope you enjoy the fight tomorrow man!

How is it not a legit fight? Obviously there have been many fights where fighters move up in weight and weigh less than their opponent. The point is you (and all the other haters) discredit Mayweather's opponents in a way to set up a no win situation for him. He wins it's his shitty opponent, and if he looses then he is the most overrated fighter ever.
torvix2000
Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! From rib injury to bogus catchweight contract. LOL! Those fines Mayweather have to pay for every excess of 1 pound? They were actually rewards in case he made 144. People were made to believe otherwise.
Fitz
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 19 2009, 04:50 PM) *
How is it not a legit fight? Obviously there have been many fights where fighters move up in weight and weigh less than their opponent. The point is you (and all the other haters) discredit Mayweather's opponents in a way to set up a no win situation for him. He wins it's his shitty opponent, and if he looses then he is the most overrated fighter ever.

He is a shitty opponent. Not because Marquez is shit, but because he is fighting in a weight class he doesn't belong in (he went down to the wire at 135 against Diaz for fucks sake), he is older, slower, smaller, weaker, shorter, shorter reach. He has NO advantage over Mayweather. It's a garbage fight, and a glorified tune up. He has nothing on Mayweather at this stage.
Aware
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 19 2009, 02:53 AM) *
He is a shitty opponent. Not because Marquez is shit, but because he is fighting in a weight class he doesn't belong in (he went down to the wire at 135 against Diaz for fucks sake), he is older, slower, smaller, weaker, shorter, shorter reach. He has NO advantage over Mayweather. It's a garbage fight, and a glorified tune up. He has nothing on Mayweather at this stage.

Would you be saying that if Marquez was fighting Pacquiao? Is a Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight also seen in the same light according to you? And you know what Marquez still has a shot to win given all those disadvantages. That's one of the reasons why sports are so great.
Aware
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 19 2009, 02:45 AM) *
How stupid. DLH and Mayweather was scheduled at 154 for DLH WBC title. This was scheduled at a catch weight at 144. There is a difference you muppet.

The contract had an appendage that allowed for extra weight at a monetary penalty!
Aware
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 19 2009, 02:52 AM) *
They were actually rewards in case he made 144. People were made to believe otherwise.

I can see some truth in that.
AussieLad
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 19 2009, 07:56 AM) *
Would you be saying that if Marquez was fighting Pacquiao? Is a Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight also seen in the same light according to you?

Well at least pac would be in marquez's size range, unlike mayweather

And as for pbf vs pac, lets examine the list. Yes pac is smaller, but he is younger, arguably faster, and has much more power than marquez, and he has had longer to acclimatize at this weight than marquez who is effectively jumping 2 divisions at this late stage of his career. The deck isnt entirely stacked against him like it is for marquez

Arguing with mayweather apologists is pointless. The man can do no wrong, not even when he is fighting an older, slower, smaller opponent. The excusues are ingrained in these people, they flow like water because since floyds move to 140 and up he has done oh so very little in the ring to let his legacy stand for itself, so his groupies are used to spewing bullshit in his defence
Aware
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Sep 19 2009, 03:17 AM) *
Well at least pac would be in marquez's size range, unlike mayweather

And as for pbf vs pac, lets examine the list. Yes pac is smaller, but he is younger, arguably faster, and has much more power than marquez, and he has had longer to acclimatize at this weight than marquez who is effectively jumping 2 divisions at this late stage of his career. The deck isnt entirely stacked against him like it is for marquez

Arguing with mayweather apologists is pointless. The man can do no wrong, not even when he is fighting an older, slower, smaller opponent. The excusues are ingrained in these people, they flow like water because since floyds move to 140 and up he has done oh so very little in the ring to let his legacy stand for itself, so his groupies are used to spewing bullshit in his defence

Over and over you guys resort to attacking my character (it doesn't bother me), I present arguments that use logic and reasoning. Your just attenuating your arguments when you commit these fallacies. Is Marquez an underdog? Yes. Is it the hardest possible opponent Mayweather could face? No (Paul Williams, Cotto, Mosley). I don't think Pacquiao is gonna pose a bigger threat than Marquez and that's the fight everyone wants to see.
torvix2000
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Sep 19 2009, 07:17 AM) *
... so his groupies are used to spewing bullshit in his defence

A good example is in the other thread. Marg, et. al. are middleweights according to them. That's why Floyd doesn't have to fight them. LOL!
Snoop
That is one scaryass avatar AussieLad. I had to scroll down after a bit. lol.
AussieLad
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 19 2009, 08:41 AM) *
Over and over you guys resort to attacking my character (it doesn't bother me), I present arguments that use logic and reasoning. Your just attenuating your arguments when you commit these fallacies. Is Marquez an underdog? Yes. Is it the hardest possible opponent Mayweather could face? No (Paul Williams, Cotto, Mosley). I don't think Pacquiao is gonna pose a bigger threat than Marquez and that's the fight everyone wants to see.

Mate, on the last page you were stating that floyd will be bashed no matter what he does, and yet you defend him no matter what he does. Can you not see the similarities, despite the polar opposite argument?

I tell you what, if mayweather were fighting paul williams, or mosely, or cotto he would not be getting such a caning. These are the fighters we want to see mayweather facing. Not frigging marquez. The only reason he is fighting marquez is because of his competitive fights with pac. Pac who committed the cardinal sin of taking floyds place after he retired. Floyd must want the p4p no.1 spot vacant until he dies. It must sting that pac is far more popular than floyd ever was
Aware
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Sep 19 2009, 03:16 AM) *
Mate, on the last page you were stating that floyd will be bashed no matter what he does, and yet you defend him no matter what he does. Can you not see the similarities, despite the polar opposite argument?

I tell you what, if mayweather were fighting paul williams, or mosely, or cotto he would not be getting such a caning. These are the fighters we want to see mayweather facing. Not frigging marquez. The only reason he is fighting marquez is because of his competitive fights with pac. Pac who committed the cardinal sin of taking floyds place after he retired. Floyd must want the p4p no.1 spot vacant until he dies. It must sting that pac is far more popular than floyd ever was

Where did I ever say I will defend him no matter what he does? I said that a hater will bash him no matter what he does (reread), and that is what I defined a hater to be. What will you say when he fights a Cotto or a Mosley? A hater will definitely find the flaw.
AussieLad
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 19 2009, 09:25 AM) *
Where did I ever say I will defend him no matter what he does? I said that a hater will bash him no matter what he does (reread), and that is what I defined a hater to be. What will you say when he fights a Cotto or a Mosley? A hater will definitely find the flaw.

LOL

You didnt need to say it outright. Every sentence you post screams it loud and proud
Aware
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Sep 19 2009, 03:40 AM) *
LOL

You didnt need to say it outright. Every sentence you post screams it loud and proud

Well you're wrong. Lets see who he fights after Marquez, provided he wins.
Fitz
QUOTE (Aware @ Sep 19 2009, 04:56 PM) *
Would you be saying that if Marquez was fighting Pacquiao? Is a Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight also seen in the same light according to you? And you know what Marquez still has a shot to win given all those disadvantages. That's one of the reasons why sports are so great.

Can I ask you a question? Considering you are using that forumla, I take it that you would think Hopkins fighting Spinks would be a good fight correct? Because Taylor beat Hopkins, and Spinks arguably beat Taylor, so lets say Spinks moved to 170 to fight Hopkins, you think that would be a legitimate fight?
EXACT same scenario.
KookedKrack
Floyd Mayweather Jr. weighed in at 146 pounds on Friday afternoon, two pounds heavier than the weight stipulated in the contract for his comeback fight against lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. The excess weight will cost Mayweather $300,000 per pound, meaning Marquez will get an additional $600,000 on top of his $3.2 million guarantee, a source told ESPN.com. Mayweather's minimum guarantee is $10 million, a figure likely to dramatically increase after the pay-per-view receipts are counted.

Marquez, who has never fought heavier than 135 pounds, comfortably made 142 pounds, two less than the 144-pound contract weight.

At Mayweather's request, nobody would speak publicly about the contract weight throughout the promotion that kicked off in early May and continued into the fall when the fight was postponed from July 18 because of a Mayweather rib injury.

However, several sources with direct knowledge of the contract told ESPN.com all along that the contract maximum weight was 144 pounds, three less than the 147-pound welterweight maximum.

But after Friday's weigh in, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer finally addressed the issue, telling ESPN.com, "The fight was contracted as a welterweight fight with an agreed upon weight of 144 ounds. However, there were pre-negotiated weight penalties built in."

Schaefer would not disclose the dollar figure, but another source with direct knowledge of the contract told ESPN.com that the penalty was $300,000 per pound if either fighter was overweight.

According to the source, the Marquez camp knew Wednesday night that Mayweather would not make weight because Mayweather's team made overtures to Golden Boy Promotions in an effort to have Marquez agree to change weight on the bout agreements to be filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

However, Marquez's contract had already been filed reading 144 pounds, according to commission executive director Keith Kizer. But Kizer said the bout agreement was retrieved from the commission by Golden Boy Promotions and changed to 147 with Marquez initialing it.

Mayweather's contract with 147 pounds was not filed with the commission until minutes before the weigh in. Kizer said it was supposed to be filed on Wednesday.

Kizer said the Mayweather camp asked to file it Thursday and he said OK, but that deadline also came and went. "We were very unhappy with the lateness of Mr. Mayweather's contract," Kizer said.

Kizer said that had the bout agreements not been changed to 147, Mayweather would have faced a fine from the commission in addition to whatever penalty he had agreed to pay Marquez. For being two pounds overweight, Kizer said the penalty would have been 10 percent of his purse, or $1 million. Had he been three pounds over (147 pounds), the figure would have jumped to a 20 percent fine.

thumbsdown_anim.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif
Lil-lightsout
I truly think this forum should have 1 thread just dedicated to all of PBF's Super Fans. Then all his admirers can just stick in there all the time and just spread all their love for him. They can constantly bash the "Haters" for there reasons for not thinking like themselves. But these posters will not have the power to enter any other thread about Floyd, where objective fans will discuss rationally.
torvix2000
P4P Circus Guy - Floyd. LOL!
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 19 2009, 05:17 AM) *
Can I ask you a question? Considering you are using that forumla, I take it that you would think Hopkins fighting Spinks would be a good fight correct? Because Taylor beat Hopkins, and Spinks arguably beat Taylor, so lets say Spinks moved to 170 to fight Hopkins, you think that would be a legitimate fight?
EXACT same scenario.

No it would be closer to a Winky Wright moving up to fight Hopkins.
JD
What is ridiculous about this is the fact that it was sold as a catch weight fight, as far as we know agreed upon as a catch weight fight, and Floyd blew off the agreed upon weight knowing that for an extra $600K, he could be nice and comfortable and the fight would go off without a hitch.

Sure, Floyd made welter, but he didn't make the catch weight. I am sorry, but that is garbage. The same people who were bashing Castillo and Corrales for not making weight now do not care. If the fight was agreed upon at 147 with no caveats, great...but that does not appear to be the case. Per Mulvaney, the weight for the fight was changed by the Mayweather camp the morning of the weigh-in from 144 to 146 because Floyd could not make 144; or, in reality, did not want to sweat off those two pounds. Total bush league.

Marquez does not care, he makes a few extra bucks...but this is such an amateur move.

This whole weight ordeal is totally fucking asinine. Only in the sport we love, fellas. It's just ridiculous.
torvix2000
QUOTE (JD @ Sep 19 2009, 01:40 PM) *
What is ridiculous about this is the fact that it was sold as a catch weight fight, as far as we know agreed upon as a catch weight fight, and Floyd blew off the agreed upon weight knowing that for an extra $600K, he could be nice and comfortable and the fight would go off without a hitch.

Sure, Floyd made welter, but he didn't make the catch weight. I am sorry, but that is garbage. The same people who were bashing Castillo and Corrales for not making weight now do not care. If the fight was agreed upon at 147 with no caveats, great...but that does not appear to be the case. Per Mulvaney, the weight for the fight was changed by the Mayweather camp the morning of the weigh-in from 144 to 146 because Floyd could not make 144; or, in reality, did not want to sweat off those two pounds. Total bush league.

Marquez does not care, he makes a few extra bucks...but this is such an amateur move.

This whole weight ordeal is totally fucking asinine. Only in the sport we love, fellas. It's just ridiculous.

Boxing is losing considering that one of the biggest name is dragging it down.
JD
The general public will probably never know this story...but yeah, garbage like this is what hurts the sport. If you agree on a weight months ago - fight there.

It's like a fucking football team showing up on game day and being like "We are going to play with an extra guy - we'll just throw the other team a couple bucks out of our game check...cool? Cool."

It's just stupid.
D-MARV
Personally, I think the whole "Catch-Weight" is stupid. It's becoming crazy. But it's fucked up that Floyd would use those 2 pounds to his advantage.

hmmmmmm... 2 pounds? Nevermind.
Snoop
The whole weight thing does seem very nonchalant. It felt as if Floyd just came in at whatever weight he pleased and the public backlash seems to be at a minimum. Floyd, IMO, could very damn well make 144 if he wanted to, being that 1 more lb would have cost him a lot more money, this was clearly planned. What a puss.
Snoop
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Sep 19 2009, 01:58 PM) *
Personally, I think the whole "Catch-Weight" is stupid. It's becoming crazy. But it's fucked up that Floyd would use those 2 pounds to his advantage.

hmmmmmm... 2 pounds? Nevermind.

2lbs means a lot when cutting weight. Anyone here who has trained to fight can tell you that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.