Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul Williams at Welterweight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Snoop
I've been thinking about this for a while and was reminded in another thread about how Floyd ducked and continues to duck Paul Williams, who IMO, has the best chance at beating Mayweather. But Williams hasn't fought at welterweight for almost a year, and his freakishly lanky body seemed to adjust well 13lbs north at middleweight. I know he repeatedly said he could go between 147-160, but I mean c'mon, how the hell is he supposed to know? Do people think he could still make 147 and if so, would he be effective?
torvix2000
If he gets genuinely called out by the top welters.
Fitz
I think he could, but he may struggle now after adjusting to the higher weights, and if he did I am not sure he will be as effective either.
JaRaNDa
I'm sure Williams can still make 147 limit but depending on how easy it is for him and how effective he will be at 147 again would be another thing. Something tells me he may not quite be the same man who beat Margarito but might still be a threat in the ring due to what he already brings to the table with structure & so far seems like a pretty durable fighter.

I've thought about this more than once but I think he may have yo-yo'd too much in weight past 147 already & may have gotten too comfortable in that extra weight as he has gained & used it effectivly so far. Williams should focus on staying busy & try get Pavlik in the ring then keep an eye on the super6! No WW wanted to fight himt hen & don't think they would now!
Lil-lightsout
I will believe it when I see it. Him being effective at 147, no freaking way! The Paul Williams hype at welterweight lives on!
leonthegee
half the world doesnt even know who paul williams is. besides i dont see mosley, cotto, or any other top welter running to jump in the ring with williams either. but theres always a double standard when it comes to floyd so im not surprized u would ask such a stupid question.
Keith
I think its a bit a stretch to say no WW would fight him. Its true that top welters werent lining up to fight him, but even at a young age he had bonafide championship fights against Margs and CQ. Those guys were not bums. He left the division before a big fight could materialize. I would bet my balls that if he had stuck around, PWill would of been fighting Mosley this past summer. It would of been a logical fight since they both had beaten Margs. By leaving the division he gave Mosley and every other welter an excuse to "duck" him.

That being said... It would surprise me if he was still able to make the weight.
leonthegee
QUOTE (Keith @ Sep 19 2009, 05:16 AM) *
I think its a bit a stretch to say no WW would fight him. Its true that top welters werent lining up to fight him, but even at a young age he had bonafide championship fights against Margs and CQ. Those guys were not bums. He left the division before a big fight could materialize. I would bet my balls that if he had stuck around, PWill would of been fighting Mosley this past summer. It would of been a logical fight since they both had beaten Margs. By leaving the division he gave Mosley and every other welter an excuse to "duck" him.

That being said... It would surprise me if he was still able to make the weight.

totally agree you on that but if i were p will i wouldnt be worried about the 147 division. i remember that he was ranked number 1 by the wbo at 147 so he should of got his shot at cotto but im not sure if that is still the case. hes number 1 at 154 ranked ahead of all the belt holders and ranked number 3 at 160. i would be focusing on getting either one of those belts instead of chasing around all those guys at 147. but thats just me. besides doesnt he have a title fight at 160 with kelly palvik?
D-MARV
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 19 2009, 04:03 AM) *
I've been thinking about this for a while and was reminded in another thread about how Floyd ducked and continues to duck Paul Williams, who IMO, has the best chance at beating Mayweather. But Williams hasn't fought at welterweight for almost a year, and his freakishly lanky body seemed to adjust well 13lbs north at middleweight. I know he repeatedly said he could go between 147-160, but I mean c'mon, how the hell is he supposed to know? Do people think he could still make 147 and if so, would he be effective?

Let's not forget about MOsley, Cotto, and Margarito. Clottey was the only fighter at welter that mentioned his name. But to answer you're question, Yes he can still make 147. He is walking around at 155 now.
torvix2000
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Sep 19 2009, 01:09 PM) *
Let's not forget about MOsley, Cotto, and Margarito. Clottey was the only fighter at welter that mentioned his name. But to answer you're question, Yes he can still make 147. He is walking around at 155 now.

Link please.
Snoop
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Sep 19 2009, 12:04 PM) *
half the world doesnt even know who paul williams is. besides i dont see mosley, cotto, or any other top welter running to jump in the ring with williams either. but theres always a double standard when it comes to floyd so im not surprized u would ask such a stupid question.

LOL. You just try to start shit with anyone don't you?
Snoop
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Sep 19 2009, 01:09 PM) *

I agree that most the top welterweights are avoiding him too, it's just Mayweather that reminded me of this question. I see why Mayweather is ducking him though. Strong, quick, high volume puncher with ridiculous physical advantages, high risk, low reward. No reason to fight him, but still ducking nonetheless. But you're right, that thinking goes through all the top welters heads.
provo
Imo I think Paul Will won't be as effective if he comes back to 147,he's used to weighing more now !
And as far as any of the welterweights I don't blame them for not fighting him,Paul Will is not a big name nobody outside of boxing fans no who this guy is and the top welterweights right now all want big fights!
I think it hurt paul leaving that division he should have stood around and waited for the big fights to come now he's ass'd out in search of a fight!
Snoop
QUOTE (provo @ Sep 19 2009, 03:09 PM) *
Imo I think Paul Will won't be as effective if he comes back to 147,he's used to weighing more now !
And as far as any of the welterweights I don't blame them for not fighting him,Paul Will is not a big name nobody outside of boxing fans no who this guy is and the top welterweights right now all want big fights!
I think it hurt paul leaving that division he should have stood around and waited for the big fights to come now he's ass'd out in search of a fight!

I wouldn't call fighting the middleweight champ of the world in Dec, ass'd out.
D-MARV
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 19 2009, 01:42 PM) *
I wouldn't call fighting the middleweight champ of the world in Dec, ass'd out.

LMAO.
pacco_diablo
The first 15 of 19 pro fights for Williams were fought between 154-160. Granted that was 6 or 7 years ago. However, I wouldnt call the age of 28 the point of no return. I don't see why he'd have major problems making 148 or be greatly affected because of it. Like someone said though, it kind of hurt him moving out of the WW so soon. Not that it would have been worth it to stick around because what WW would fight him? Cotto maybe? But it's this reason that I am impressed with Williams. He's like "fuck it, I'm not waiting for glory," so he moves up to fight the best middleweight out there. That says a lot about where his head is.

Should he beat Pavlik then all the critics will be silenced. I mean what will they say? Pavlik wasnt the same fighter since Hopkins?
Snoop
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Sep 21 2009, 06:20 AM) *
Should he beat Pavlik then all the critics will be silenced. I mean what will they say? Pavlik wasnt the same fighter since Hopkins?

Actually, yes. That is exactly what his critics would say.
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 21 2009, 01:25 AM) *

lol. I guess it just doesnt matter for some. But I'm guilty too, I can think of several reasons to discredit Joe Calzaghe.
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 21 2009, 01:25 AM) *

lol. I guess it just doesnt matter for some. But I'm guilty too, I can think of several reasons to discredit Joe Calzaghe.
Snoop
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Sep 21 2009, 06:46 AM) *

No. Joe Calzaghe is a completely different story. He's the classic example of an overhyped bum who waited around until the greats were out of their prime and then slapped his way to victory after a protected career of beating handpicked opponents and tomato cans. Williams is taking a huge challenge by taking on the heavy handed Pavlik regardless if Hopkins fucked Pavlik up for good. Paul is the classic example of a fighter who's not scared of shit and takes on the biggest challenges because nobody wants to fight him. You probably agree with me, but don't ever doubt discrediting Joe Calzaghe. LOL.
salvador
As long as Williams says he can make 147, I'll believe him. It's not like he ever should have been able to make 147 given his frame.
streetlion1
Paul "the overrated hype-job" Williams should just stay at middleweight because I really wanna see Kelly Pavlik knock his ass out.

I dont think the B-Hop fight ruined Kelly...B-Hop is a very hard fight for anyone and there is no shame in losing to him. Its not like Kelly got KTFO or something. Pavlik may come out and try to make a statement....hopefully he has been working on adding some "slick shit" to his game like he said after the Hopkins loss. Kelly has a real good chin and a solid jab-right hand...he offers alot more power and danger than an old Winky.

Guys at 147 were ducking him...but besides the size advantage when compared to a guy like Gayweather I dont see why. I think Gayweather would have chopped up Williams. PW often gets off balance with the way he wings his punches and kind of pitty pats them out there....isnt very good defensively and we have seen him rocked by a welter. laugh.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif Its clear im definitely not sold on PW....he would have his hands full against 147's best!!!
Snoop
QUOTE (salvador @ Sep 21 2009, 06:43 PM) *
As long as Williams says he can make 147, I'll believe him. It's not like he ever should have been able to make 147 given his frame.

I don't even know how he would be sure if he could make 147 or not. I mean how would he know? Does he drain down to 147 on occasion for fun?
D-MARV
Paul is walking around at 155 now... He wouldn't have a problem making 147
yuca
Going with how boxers do after going up in weight and coming back down, it would be significantly unusual for PW to be succesful against the top ww. But if he manages to come back down and not be affected by it, he could clean the division. We'll have to wait and see if that's the case. That would be something very rare these days.
Snoop
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Sep 22 2009, 06:12 PM) *
Paul is walking around at 155 now... He wouldn't have a problem making 147

How do you know that? If that really is the case, then he's a damn good fighter to be hanging with middleweights.
MarzB
Can someone come up with that 155lb source. This I gotta see to believe.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=19451&more=1

I found the source and since it comes from his trainer I'm a bit skeptical about this. Does he inhale his food??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.