Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elbow usage
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
yuca
With the FMJ/JMM fight hours away, I couldn't help but spend hours watching their prior fights . I like both fighters and the different things they bring to the table. There was one thing that stood out as I was watching- Mayweather's defense when on the ropes. His defense is arguably the best we have seen, and whenever he is on the ropes I would always watch to see if any of his opponent's punches would land. That's when I noticed his elbows...specially his left elbow, he would use it not only to keep his opp. away but to actually make contact on the neck, head and face. I could notice that it is part of his strategy. I noticed too that the refs would let him know about it, but it never became a stern warning and even less a point deduction, even when the opp. corner would let the ref know. I watched in amazement at how subtle his movements are when utilizing the elbows. What amazes me most is that apparently nobody has ever pointed it out. I have read a whole lot of back and forth arguments between fans/haters and that topic has never been brought up...at least not to my knowledge.

I'm not saying this to try and take something away from his game, as his record speaks louder than any argument we could ever bring forth, but has anyone ever noticed this in his fights before?

Good luck to both fighters and hopefully we could enjoy a great fight tonight.
provo
QUOTE (yuca @ Sep 19 2009, 01:42 PM) *
With the FMJ/JMM fight hours away, I couldn't help but spend hours watching their prior fights . I like both fighters and the different things they bring to the table. There was one thing that stood out as I was watching- Mayweather's defense when on the ropes. His defense is arguably the best we have seen, and whenever he is on the ropes I would always watch to see if any of his opponent's punches would land. That's when I noticed his elbows...specially his left elbow, he would use it not only to keep his opp. away but to actually make contact on the neck, head and face. I could notice that it is part of his strategy. I noticed too that the refs would let him know about it, but it never became a stern warning and even less a point deduction, even when the opp. corner would let the ref know. I watched in amazement at how subtle his movements are when utilizing the elbows. What amazes me most is that apparently nobody has ever pointed it out. I have read a whole lot of back and forth arguments between fans/haters and that topic has never been brought up...at least not to my knowledge.

I'm not saying this to try and take something away from his game, as his record speaks louder than any argument we could ever bring forth, but has anyone ever noticed this in his fights before?

Good luck to both fighters and hopefully we could enjoy a great fight tonight.

LOL, yup the elbow is a big factor in his defensive style the shoulder roll its to create space another thing he does that I been paying close attention to is when he is on the ropes also floyd wil move his forward leg "left leg' to his right causing his oppents lead leg to getpushed out and soon as that happens he releases his right hand ,and I think that is smart as hell cause in boxing when feet touch it causes u to bring it back and stand more up..
JD
The only fight I have seen Floyd get warned, and later penalized, for illegally using his elbows was the first Castillo fight.

If a ref got on him for it, I would be very interested to see how he would handle it. Odds are he would just step back and pick the dude apart, but I would still be interested.
iron_mike
QUOTE (JD @ Sep 19 2009, 05:37 PM) *
The only fight I have seen Floyd get warned, and later penalized, for illegally using his elbows was the first Castillo fight.

If a ref got on him for it, I would be very interested to see how he would handle it. Odds are he would just step back and pick the dude apart, but I would still be interested.

Not penalized, but vs Hatton, Cortez I remember hearing alot of 'watch the elbows Floyd'
JD
Yep...but he was never formally warned.
torvix2000
I'm more concerned about Mayweather's superb defense of readying to turn his head so that your punches will hit its back. What happened to the "protect yourself at all times" principle. I think the ref should just allow his opponents to hit the back of his head.
torvix2000
LOL! Floyd's pushing Maquez away with his elbow.
pacco_diablo
I dont blame him for using elbows. He did it a lot against Hatton. That what these "pressure" fighters deserve because they are usually applying pressure by leading in with the top of the head. To combat this with an elbow up is reasonable in my book.
torvix2000
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Sep 20 2009, 07:28 AM) *
I dont blame him for using elbows. He did it a lot against Hatton. That what these "pressure" fighters deserve because they are usually applying pressure by leading in with the top of the head. To combat this with an elbow up is reasonable in my book.

I think Hatton deserved it. But not Marquez. Floyd's been using his elbows against pressure fighters lately. LOL!
yuca
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 20 2009, 03:37 AM) *
I think Hatton deserved it. But not Marquez. Floyd's been using his elbows against pressure fighters lately. LOL!

Yes, and he is great at it. That is a part of his game that I believe other fighters should implement, together with controlling the head of your opponent.
torvix2000
QUOTE (yuca @ Sep 20 2009, 07:53 PM) *
Yes, and he is great at it. That is a part of his game that I believe other fighters should implement, together with controlling the head of your opponent.

And an absolute defense of exposing the back of your head so that opponents will be tentative of hitting you. That should also be implemented.
dominicbuilder9k1
Using elbow as defense mechanism is not illegal...what is illegal is when you use elbow in striking...Tyson sometimes use his elbow to strike an opponent...I remember Holyfield like to use his elbow for defense just as Mayweather Jr...Fraizer use elbow as defense while attacking his opponent... Elbow helps a fighter defensively...
yuca
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 20 2009, 08:51 PM) *
And an absolute defense of exposing the back of your head so that opponents will be tentative of hitting you. That should also be implemented.

Totally agree...lol...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.