Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxing PPV #'s vs. UFC's #'s?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in which PPV did better last night.

How long before the #'s start coming out? I don't know the length of times for UFC or Boxing so....*shrugs*

Anyone?
Byrd Man
nearly 600 views and no one has any idea when these numbers come out? Come on....
King Eugene
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 21 2009, 05:13 PM) *
nearly 600 views and no one has any idea when these numbers come out? Come on....

I have no idea!
Byrd Man
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 21 2009, 02:20 PM) *
I have no idea!

THAT'S WHAT I SAID!!!

ha ha ha....
STEVENSKI
Hopefully it will be a massive slide towards UFC.
Byrd Man
yeah I'm torn on this. I can't stand Mayweather and would LOVE for the numbers to come back miserable just to shut his mouth when it comes to negotiations for his next fight.

But I don't like UFC/MMA and would prefer them not to have that bragging right.

But it's Floyd. lol

Method
I wouldn't be expecting those numbers any time soon.
STEVENSKI
GBP ARE CORRUPT AS ALL HELL SO THEY WILL FUDGE THEIR NUMBERS!
Spyder
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 21 2009, 07:57 PM) *
GBP ARE CORRUPT AS ALL HELL SO THEY WILL FUDGE THEIR NUMBERS!

...and Dana White isn't?
Byrd Man
lol @ Spyder. I was about to say the same thing.

It's like Def Jam buying 50,000 units of Jay Z's albums when he was on there. lol
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Spyder @ Sep 22 2009, 01:31 AM) *
...and Dana White isn't?

You have any idea how badly I want GBP to take a dump with this promotion?
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 21 2009, 09:16 PM) *
You have any idea how badly I want GBP to take a dump with this promotion?

LOL... I don't think that's gonna happen.

The night of the fight... Mayweather-Marquez results were on every spoorting news outlet. Hell, it was one of the top stories on ESPN. UFC 103 didn't even have their results released. ESPN was live at Mayweather's post conference. LOL... I STILL haven't heard any results from UFC 103.
Spyder
Dana White's arrogance pisses me off more than Floyd's...especially considering that Dana basically OWNS Spike network and puts whatever the fuck he wants to on there. Including PPV promos on every break.

That guy just irks me.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 21 2009, 08:48 PM) *
It's like Def Jam buying 50,000 units of Jay Z's albums when he was on there. lol

Or when Jay bought all those copies of Kanye's album and told 50 he made 4mil from Vitamin Water so he should have bought some albums himself.
salvador
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Sep 21 2009, 08:26 PM) *
The night of the fight... Mayweather-Marquez results were on every spoorting news outlet. Hell, it was one of the top stories on ESPN. UFC 103 didn't even have their results released. ESPN was live at Mayweather's post conference. LOL... I STILL haven't heard any results from UFC 103.

I was at a bar where they had both the UFC and the Floyd-JMM fight and my take on it was that everyone there knew Floyd and kind of knew JMM, but virtually nobody knew the UFC guys. That said, the crowd went crazy every time the UFC guys got ko'd because it was so brutal, whereas there were a few 'ews and 'ahs in the undercard of the Floyd fight and not much more reaction than that for the rest of the boxing card. So, not knowing anything at all about UFC, my assumption is that the PRODUCT that the UFC offers (10 or so brutal fights with ko's in a night with semi-anonymous fighters) is what drives the PPV numbers much more than the actual stars of the sport, where it's the opposite in boxing. The only boxing matches that do big PPV numbers are with very well known stars.

I could be totally wrong, but that was my experience on Saturday.

D-MARV
I'm a high school teacher in a very diverse school. Yesterday, all I heard the kids talk about is Floyd Mayweather. They were saying how great Floyd is and a few of them claimed that Floyd was the greatest of all time, LOL. Most of them knew Marquez from the Pacquiao fights and they compared the two fights.

But on the flipside... I never heard of those guys who fought on the UFC card. Im sure if it was Brock Lesnar or someone like that then the UFC would have had a huge buzz.
KookedKrack
so is it official that floyd can sell a ppv on his own yet?
iron_mike
I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd/JMM did 6 to 700k buys...I'm not a Floyd fan but the urge to see how he looked after the layoff was too tempting. Plus I really wanted to see the Chris John rematch
streetlion1
The thing about UFC and what I believe drive their numbers are casual fans who wanna see someone get K.O.ed. There is nothing of real substance as far as a true fight fan is concerned. True MMA fans would probably disagree with me but Dana White owes alot of his new found success to Brock Lesnar...he brought alot of attention and new fans in a time when Chuck and Randy were on their last legs.

All in all MMA is shit when compared to a real sport/science like boxing...I hope Gayweather blew UFC outta the water.
gbh32001
QUOTE (iron_mike @ Sep 22 2009, 09:19 PM) *
I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd/JMM did 6 to 700k buys...I'm not a Floyd fan but the urge to see how he looked after the layoff was too tempting. Plus I really wanted to see the Chris John rematch
Maybe you mean 70K?,I can bet that their PPV won't pass the mark of 200K unless GBP will tampered the result.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Sep 22 2009, 01:46 PM) *
Maybe you mean 70K?,I can bet that their PPV won't pass the mark of 200K unless GBP will tampered the result.

Agreed,

How can people think this PPV/Closed Circuit would draw big numbers when this was an HBO caliber fight in the first place? Neither guy is a puncher, and a big puncher is needed to draw casual fans, or an opposing fighter with a strong casual fan base. Neither Mayweather nor Marquez bring that to the table because they are only known to BOXING fans, not general public sports fans. And you have to have general public interest to hit the 700,000-1 million plus figures these days.

Overall, I heard that interest was lukewarm and there were more people talking about Mayweather than the UFC matches. But I think someone posted that the bars that showed both events, the crowds were more enthusiastic during the UFC PPV than the occasional interest of Mayweather-Marquez. But the action in Mayweather-Marquez may have only generated the occasional "OOOZE and AHHHHS" from die hard fight fans. How do you get that excited over a blowout?

Jack
RiverSide
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 22 2009, 03:07 PM) *
Agreed,

How can people think this PPV/Closed Circuit would draw big numbers when this was an HBO caliber fight in the first place? Neither guy is a puncher, and a big puncher is needed to draw casual fans, or an opposing fighter with a strong casual fan base. Neither Mayweather nor Marquez bring that to the table because they are only known to BOXING fans, not general public sports fans. And you have to have general public interest to hit the 700,000-1 million plus figures these days.

Overall, I heard that interest was lukewarm and there were more people talking about Mayweather than the UFC matches. But I think someone posted that the bars that showed both events, the crowds were more enthusiastic during the UFC PPV than the occasional interest of Mayweather-Marquez. But the action in Mayweather-Marquez may have only generated the occasional "OOOZE and AHHHHS" from die hard fight fans. How do you get that excited over a blowout?

Jack

The oohs and aahhs during the fight have nothing to do with who actually ordered the fight.

The fact is that going into Saturday, Mayweathers return to the ring was a mainstream sports story. The UFC card was not.

I am a mma fan, believe me when I tell you that no MMA fan thought it was a good card going in. Only the junkies who order them all still did. This sentiment was shared by all MMA fans apparently, if I can judge from MMA forums.

Following both events, Mayweathers return was still a mainstream sports story, with boxing fans more hyped then ever because of the future possible matchups and still no one cared about the UFC card. Not a single fight mattered, in the small or big scheme of things. Not one.

Its important to note that UFC might still bring in more PPV buys, because they have a bigger diehard fan base then Floyd does, but outside of the respective diehards, the boxing PPV won for sure.
salvador
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 22 2009, 02:07 PM) *
How do you get that excited over a blowout?

A blowout without even the slightest pretense of an attempt at the ko??????????

Impossible.
JLUVBABY
this just my opinion on this subject dont take offense anyone but anyone that calls him/herself a true fight fan... boxing fan... that hopes a ufc fight card out buys any fight card is not as true a boxing fan as they would like to think in my eyes.... golden boy or who ever if we as boxing fans want our sport to strive and prosper we need these fights to out do the mma cards especially when it is a superior fight card..... no way anyone on this board can say the undercard and even main event of floyd jmm was weaker than that crap ufc put on this past weekend... and i like some of the ufc fights and other mma fights that are made... but for once boxing had the better card and their are some so called boxing fans hoping that fight takes a "dump" because its gbp?... laughable... imo... like it or not gbp (and im not a fan of none of them actually oscar, shane or bernard (used to be not now)) is here to stay... they will be the premiere promotional company for some time.. thats pretty much getting set in stone... if you hate them that much then it might be a good idea to start watching some other sport and leave boxing alone because king is all but out the game and arum dont have many more years left... after them who is left...

on another note i was thinking of sumthin today... a lot of things that go on in boxing is staged as far as the beefs etc.... i have this funny feeling that in the future pbf will be a member of gbp... i could be wrong but they certainly have been buddy buddy and oscar has this crazy thing bout becoming partners with the people that have put their foot in his ass the most... just a thought...
rusty_trombone
I would like to just point this out, there are 13 separate threads that in some way involve Mayweather on the first page. I would have to say, he is what is happening in boxing right now.
gbh32001
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 23 2009, 05:17 AM) *
this just my opinion on this subject dont take offense anyone but anyone that calls him/herself a true fight fan... boxing fan... that hopes a ufc fight card out buys any fight card is not as true a boxing fan as they would like to think in my eyes.... golden boy or who ever if we as boxing fans want our sport to strive and prosper we need these fights to out do the mma cards especially when it is a superior fight card..... no way anyone on this board can say the undercard and even main event of floyd jmm was weaker than that crap ufc put on this past weekend... and i like some of the ufc fights and other mma fights that are made... but for once boxing had the better card and their are some so called boxing fans hoping that fight takes a "dump" because its gbp?... laughable... imo... like it or not gbp (and im not a fan of none of them actually oscar, shane or bernard (used to be not now)) is here to stay... they will be the premiere promotional company for some time.. thats pretty much getting set in stone... if you hate them that much then it might be a good idea to start watching some other sport and leave boxing alone because king is all but out the game and arum dont have many more years left... after them who is left...

on another note i was thinking of sumthin today... a lot of things that go on in boxing is staged as far as the beefs etc.... i have this funny feeling that in the future pbf will be a member of gbp... i could be wrong but they certainly have been buddy buddy and oscar has this crazy thing bout becoming partners with the people that have put their foot in his ass the most... just a thought...
You are right by defending a boxing fan but boxing in general includes fighting and when everybody looking for a fight and they could not get one because of these boring match up where could these sheep go? they will go astray finding a fight that could quench their bloodthirstiness. There are three level of boxing fan, you as an extreme, the other as a casual fan (which most of the croud belong here) and the seasonal or bandwagoner.
gbh32001
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Sep 23 2009, 05:30 AM) *
I would like to just point this out, there are 13 separate threads that in some way involve Mayweather on the first page. I would have to say, he is what is happening in boxing right now.
How can he not be? If you notice that everey page and everey article written are goes down to one phrase "Floyd Mayweather(includes those are in his payroll) against the boxing world".
This dude is a fraud but he stand it above all and make everybody sorround him look like they are the fraud.LOL. And Oh bytheway, who can give us the numbers?65hours already gone and everybody is mum about it...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (RiverSide @ Sep 22 2009, 02:21 PM) *
The oohs and aahhs during the fight have nothing to do with who actually ordered the fight.

The fact is that going into Saturday, Mayweathers return to the ring was a mainstream sports story. The UFC card was not.

I am a mma fan, believe me when I tell you that no MMA fan thought it was a good card going in. Only the junkies who order them all still did. This sentiment was shared by all MMA fans apparently, if I can judge from MMA forums.

Following both events, Mayweathers return was still a mainstream sports story, with boxing fans more hyped then ever because of the future possible matchups and still no one cared about the UFC card. Not a single fight mattered, in the small or big scheme of things. Not one.

Its important to note that UFC might still bring in more PPV buys, because they have a bigger diehard fan base then Floyd does, but outside of the respective diehards, the boxing PPV won for sure.

Been a long time since you posted, River.
Byrd Man
Look I'm as much a non-fan of Floyd as you can get without veering off into the psychotic world of Stevenski.

That said, anyone saying this fight is only doing 200K at best is smoking some serious grass.

I'd be willing to say it'll do about 350k-400k.

Something along those lines. 500k wouldn't shock me. Anything over that would start inching towards the "wow" stage for me.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 23 2009, 12:17 AM) *
Look I'm as much a non-fan of Floyd as you can get without veering off into the psychotic world of Stevenski.

That said, anyone saying this fight is only doing 200K at best is smoking some serious grass.

I'd be willing to say it'll do about 350k-400k.

Something along those lines. 500k wouldn't shock me. Anything over that would start inching towards the "wow" stage for me.

Iv been trying to join the world of Stevenski since i joined this board, but from what i seen on sat night (and i was absolutely fucked up) it was a decent card. Id be srprised if UFC done more than this one
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 22 2009, 09:17 PM) *
this just my opinion on this subject dont take offense anyone but anyone that calls him/herself a true fight fan... boxing fan... that hopes a ufc fight card out buys any fight card is not as true a boxing fan as they would like to think in my eyes....

Bullshit. As a true fan I refuse to pay for the garbage passed off as a legitimate contest last weekend. This fight shows what is wrong with boxing & nothing that is right with it.

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 22 2009, 09:17 PM) *
golden boy or who ever if we as boxing fans want our sport to strive and prosper we need these fights to out do the mma cards especially when it is a superior fight card..... no way anyone on this board can say the undercard and even main event of floyd jmm was weaker than that crap ufc put on this past weekend...

As a whole UFC cards are balanced & a showcase of people being evenly matched & the best possible fights being made. Boxing has a tendancy to put on absolute mismatches & call them events. I love boxing & am happy to see a quality fight card do well but hoping a sham PPV does well is a mistake IMO because that not only condones but encourages promotors to put on these type of events with greater frequency. That is actually bad for boxing & the boxing fans as it lends legitimacy to the shams we witness on a lot of PPV cards.

I will buy a good PPV card & support boxing. I will buy one good fight on PPV but I will not pay for blatant mismatches between two guys who never should be fighting each other in the first place.
Warlord
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Sep 22 2009, 09:24 AM) *
The thing about UFC and what I believe drive their numbers are casual fans who wanna see someone get K.O.ed. There is nothing of real substance as far as a true fight fan is concerned. True MMA fans would probably disagree with me but Dana White owes alot of his new found success to Brock Lesnar...he brought alot of attention and new fans in a time when Chuck and Randy were on their last legs.

All in all MMA is shit when compared to a real sport/science like boxing...I hope Gayweather blew UFC outta the water.

RiverSide
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 22 2009, 07:52 PM) *
Bullshit. As a true fan I refuse to pay for the garbage passed off as a legitimate contest last weekend. This fight shows what is wrong with boxing & nothing that is right with it.

As a whole UFC cards are balanced & a showcase of people being evenly matched & the best possible fights being made. Boxing has a tendancy to put on absolute mismatches & call them events. I love boxing & am happy to see a quality fight card do well but hoping a sham PPV does well is a mistake IMO because that not only condones but encourages promotors to put on these type of events with greater frequency. That is actually bad for boxing & the boxing fans as it lends legitimacy to the shams we witness on a lot of PPV cards.

I will buy a good PPV card & support boxing. I will buy one good fight on PPV but I will not pay for blatant mismatches between two guys who never should be fighting each other in the first place.

Im calling bullshit on your entire post, including the claim that you are a true boxing fan and will pay to support the sport.

This past weekends card featured 4 bouts. Not one. Four. Even if you figured the main event was the biggest mismatch since Tyson-McNeely, no boxing fan can tell me the other bouts weren't worth it, or that these boxers were not worth supporting. Lock and Cruz really went at it, Katsidis and Escobedo both showed promise, skill and tremendous heart, and John finally got a to showcase himself on a big US stage. In other words, the card was stacked even if you didnt like the main event.

Explain to me again why this was not a good PPV card?
gbh32001
Iole on yahoo sport heard rumor that the PPV sales got 1M buys...90% of it I guess was rigged.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (RiverSide @ Sep 23 2009, 01:13 AM) *
Im calling bullshit on your entire post, including the claim that you are a true boxing fan and will pay to support the sport.

This past weekends card featured 4 bouts. Not one. Four. Even if you figured the main event was the biggest mismatch since Tyson-McNeely, no boxing fan can tell me the other bouts weren't worth it, or that these boxers were not worth supporting. Lock and Cruz really went at it, Katsidis and Escobedo both showed promise, skill and tremendous heart, and John finally got a to showcase himself on a big US stage. In other words, the card was stacked even if you didnt like the main event.

Explain to me again why this was not a good PPV card?

For a start it was not televised live in OZ as the UFC was deemed a more popular choice by our broadcaster. Secondly I will not pay $50.00 to watch a Mayweather exhibition fight even if it has a good undercard. When I purchase a PPV fight & everything in OZ is PPV then I will buy it for the quality & calibre of the main event primarily as that is what deems a card worthy of PPV status not it's undercard. None of the undercard fights were anything above the level of a headline BAD show.

On the same basis I will not put my money which I work hard for into a punk like Mayweather's pocket unless he takes a challenging fight worthy of receiving my hard earned bones. It is that simple.
torvix2000
LOL!

A lot of people thought of buying the PPV because of the undercards. But then again, where will the money go? To Gayweather's pockets.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 22 2009, 08:12 PM) *
LOL!

A lot of people thought of buying the PPV because of the undercards. But then again, where will the money go? To Mayweather's pockets.

Exactly. I have no problem supporting Boxing, I have a problem putting money into the pockets of someone who has that much disrespect and blatant "fuck you" attitude towards the public.
D-MARV
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Sep 22 2009, 09:47 PM) *
Iole on yahoo sport heard rumor that the PPV sales got 1M buys...90% of it I guess was rigged.

I read that too. I find it hard to believe but if that is indeed the offical number then there's no way Pac get 50%
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.