Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather-Marquez PPV#'s Confirm 1 Million Buys
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
darroy
did mayweather/marquez really do 800,000 buys? if so i am shcked and impressed. does anyone believe this number?
gbh32001
QUOTE (darroy @ Sep 24 2009, 10:47 AM) *
did mayweather/marquez really do 800,000 buys? if so i am shcked and impressed. does anyone believe this number?
Are you spreading gossip here?
thehype
Shocked and impressed indeed.

VIVA MEXICO!!!!!

laugh.gif

Gotta be at least 1 million so boxing can say FUCK YOU UFC!

laugh.gif
King Eugene
If this is true the only thing I want to know is........................WTF you gotta say now Steven? Let me guess...it was all Marquez right? laugh.gif
Byrd Man
If these numbers are true, it's GREAT for Boxing, but Shitty for people who hate listening to Floyd run his big mouth.

King Eugene
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Sep 24 2009, 01:31 AM) *
If these numbers are true, it's GREAT for Boxing, but Shitty for people who hate listening to Floyd run his big mouth.

Cant have your cake and ice cream too.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 23 2009, 10:32 PM) *
Cant have your cake and ice cream too.

*stomps feet and pouts*

lol
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 23 2009, 11:40 PM) *
Shocked and impressed indeed.

VIVA MEXICO!!!!!

laugh.gif

Gotta be at least 1 million so boxing can say FUCK YOU UFC!

laugh.gif

My thoughts exactly.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 24 2009, 05:42 AM) *
If this is true the only thing I want to know is........................WTF you gotta say now Steven? Let me guess...it was all Marquez right? laugh.gif

Actually all I would say is show me the proof that this farce did 800K buys & then once that is proven beyond reasonable doubt.

I don't buy this for a second.
gbh32001
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Sep 24 2009, 01:34 PM) *
My thoughts exactly.
LoL!GBP and Fraud Mayweather keep fooling fans from day 1 of this promotion yet even the post fight people seems to get con.
If there is any good indication of a good PPV's, the first evidence are the live gate attendance. Ticket are on sales for a month plus the rebates and free tecate beers yet only 13K+ buy it,13K of which are hispanic. 200K PPV buys is a good number already considering that GBP did a daylight/blatant tricks.
MSL
mayweather PPV did at least a million buys. UFC did around 350,000.

i have no agenda here. just passing along facts.
King Eugene
QUOTE (MSL @ Sep 24 2009, 05:01 AM) *
mayweather PPV did at least a million buys. UFC did around 350,000.

i have no agenda here. just passing along facts.

I hope your right but please do prove that.
torvix2000
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Sep 24 2009, 08:55 AM) *
LoL!GBP and Fraud Mayweather keep fooling fans from day 1 of this promotion yet even the post fight people seems to get con.
If there is any good indication of a good PPV's, the first evidence are the live gate attendance. Ticket are on sales for a month plus the rebates and free tecate beers yet only 13K+ buy it,13K of which are hispanic. 200K PPV buys is a good number already considering that GBP did a daylight/blatant tricks.

I hate Gayweather's mouth but I'm kinda hopin' for a great PPV figures. So Dana White and Tito Ortiz can just go on doing their gay thingie.
KookedKrack
i believe it........ the next day no one spoke about whatever the fuck happened at ufc it was all mayweather and mosley pulling a kanye
MarzB
Can someone confirm something I read regarding the UFC. I read that on they air the undercard on standard/cable television and then the main event(s) are available through ppv. True, false?

If true, while I'm not a UFC fan and really can't stand that Dana guy I must applaud that type of marketing. Boxing could definitely take a page of that..

I'll wait till the official numbers regarding Mr so called "B" side although I never knew Hatton was the "A" side stateside,lol..
Romulus9
QUOTE (MarzB @ Sep 24 2009, 09:29 AM) *
Can someone confirm something I read regarding the UFC. I read that on they air the undercard on standard/cable television and then the main event(s) are available through ppv. True, false?

If true, while I'm not a UFC fan and really can't stand that Dana guy I must applaud that type of marketing. Boxing could definitely take a page of that..

I'll wait till the official numbers regarding Mr so called "B" side although I never knew Hatton was the "A" side stateside,lol..

For UFC 103, the preliminary bouts were aired on Spike, and the main card was aired as part of the pay-per-view. The prelims are usually referred to as "dark bouts", meaning no TV coverage unless there's a short fight on the main card and they can squeeze it in on a delayed basis. Normally, UFC makes those prelims available for download on the UFC website for something like $1.99 each. This is the first time they've aired the prelims live on a network before the PPV starts, obviously a move to counter Mayweather-Marquez.

They've got an entire UFC event on Spike, featuring Randy Couture in the main event, the same night as Pacquiao-Cotto.
Method
Looks like Marquez/May did about 800K+, with the potential to do 1MM.

I have no idea what the UFC did.
MSL
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 24 2009, 05:44 AM) *
I hope your right but please do prove that.

the proof will come out on its own.

love the avatar.
MarzB
Thanks for the explanation Romulus..

Usually these numbers are ready by Wednesday but tell me they're probably drafting up a press release to go with this. Multiple sources are confirming definitely atleast 800K so that alone beats most people's (including mine) expectations.

If this hits a million, outside of the "nothing Mayweather does is good" faction having one less round of ammunition to say against him, this is HUGE on the negotiation table.

Case in point.

Roach thinks the most difficult aspect of dealing with Mayweather is not inside the ring but on the negotiating table.

Its what the world wants to see. But the thing is, can you get him sign the contract? I dont know. Its going to be difficult because he thinks hes going to get all the money, said Roach. If he thinks hes going to get equal money with us, hes crazy. He needs us, we dont need him.

Time to rethink that one again Freddie if this fight reached a million homes. Also I'm certain TOP RANK (namely Bob Arum) are pissing their pants hoping this doesn't happen. Bob's smear campaign against Floyd would have been done in vain but most of all he'll have little leverage in "LION'S SHARE" of the purse on either of his charges. (I'd prefer a Cotto fight in NYC but floyd would never go for that sadly. )

jp
Even if this fight did 800k it still has to be considered a pretty big success as far as the PPV buys are considered. I was expecting around 450-500 and I didn't think 800-1mil would be in the realm of possiblity. If these numbers are legit the arguments about Floyd being a "B" side attraction who can't draw shit are over, there's no way you can convince me that Marquez carried this PPV.
MSL
QUOTE (MarzB @ Sep 24 2009, 01:59 PM) *
Thanks for the explanation Romulus..

Usually these numbers are ready by Wednesday but tell me they're probably drafting up a press release to go with this. Multiple sources are confirming definitely atleast 800K so that alone beats most people's (including mine) expectations.

why am i obligated to explain myself?

multiple sources of mine have confirmed "definitely atleast" one million.
haywire48
QUOTE (MSL @ Sep 25 2009, 02:55 AM) *

thanks God recessions over Americans can now afford to watch even a lousy fight like this
MarzB
QUOTE (MSL @ Sep 24 2009, 01:55 PM) *

My comment wasn't directed at anyone. Don't take it personal. The only reason I said that was I don't want to be presumptuous too soon.
Big Slim Sweet
I'm sure it did well. Everyone was talking about it. Mayweather IS a crossover star I don't dispute that.

My question to Floyd's riders is, do you think the fact this sold well means Floyd shouldn't have to fight real welterweights?
Box in Hand
By Mark Vester

According to a report in USA Today , last Saturday's bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez was not a sold out event and it performed below expectations with the live gate at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The gate generated a total of $6,811,300. The total attendance was 13,116. Only 12,009 of those tickets were sold at face value, 895 were comps and 2,645 went unsold. It was Mayweather's first fight in nearly two years. He dominated Marquez to pick up a twelve round decision.

That has to be considered a disappointment. Golden Boy Promotions promoted this show very heavy and cut no corners. There was a heavy push from HBO with a well promoted 24/7 series. It was originally on for July and pushed back to September after Mayweather suffered a rib injury in training. In comparison, the November 14 event with Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto has been sold out months in advance.

There is still no official word on the Mayweather-Marquez pay-per-view sales. Rumors are running wild; with buy numbers ranging from 500,000 to 1.6 million. The official numbers are expected to be announced this week.

Big Slim Sweet
I wonder how they tally up the movie tickets people bought for this? Does each ticket count as a buy?
MSL
QUOTE (MarzB @ Sep 24 2009, 03:14 PM) *
My comment wasn't directed at anyone. Don't take it personal. The only reason I said that was I don't want to be presumptuous too soon.

you quoted me and then said . . . "Thanks for the explanation Romulus.." . . .

it *was* directed at me, but i don't take anything personally. life is a silly game. if someone wants to attack my credibility, i know the facts will vindicate me.

to the poster that asked about the movie tickets . . . closed circuit revenue and PPV revenue are counted separately.
gbh32001
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Sep 25 2009, 05:08 AM) *
By Mark Vester

According to a report in USA Today , last Saturday's bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez was not a sold out event and it performed below expectations with the live gate at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The gate generated a total of $6,811,300. The total attendance was 13,116. Only 12,009 of those tickets were sold at face value, 895 were comps and 2,645 went unsold. It was Mayweather's first fight in nearly two years. He dominated Marquez to pick up a twelve round decision.

That has to be considered a disappointment. Golden Boy Promotions promoted this show very heavy and cut no corners. There was a heavy push from HBO with a well promoted 24/7 series. It was originally on for July and pushed back to September after Mayweather suffered a rib injury in training. In comparison, the November 14 event with Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto has been sold out months in advance.

There is still no official word on the Mayweather-Marquez pay-per-view sales. Rumors are running wild; with buy numbers ranging from 500,000 to 1.6 million. The official numbers are expected to be announced this week.
Look at the numbers, it doesn't lie.LOL
thehype
QUOTE (MSL @ Sep 24 2009, 05:41 PM) *

it *was* directed at me, but i don't take anything personally. life is a silly game. if someone wants to attack my credibility, i know the facts will vindicate me.

to the poster that asked about the movie tickets . . . closed circuit revenue and PPV revenue are counted separately.

Yo MSL...I know you, don't I?
Byrd Man
Something to think about. Dan Rafael said in his chat (several times) that if the Mayweather/Marquez fight did 1million buys he'd shave his beard off. which he hasn't done since he was in school, he said. Not sure about the head though.

lol He must be pissing himself right now. lol
MarzB
QUOTE (MSL @ Sep 24 2009, 04:41 PM) *

Maybe I'm missing something and it's not a big deal but I was thanking Romulus for his answer to my previous question about UFC and what they show. Then in that post I quoted a piece from FightNews where Freddie Roach was talking (out of his ass).
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 24 2009, 05:49 PM) *
Yo MSL...I know you, don't I?

i hope not, he's sounds like an asshole. starting shit with marzb for no reason.
MSL
not sure if hype knows me.

i am an asshole.

i think i know everything.

i hate everyone.

except for hype, since he might know me.

regardless, i look forward to rafael shaving his beard. one of the things people needed to realize was that we were coming off a terrible boxing drought over the summer and there hadn't been a major PPV since may . . . boxing fans were STARVING for a major event. i had no doubt this show would be a big PPV hit, despite the sluggish ticket sales.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MSL @ Sep 24 2009, 06:55 PM) *

When you talk outrageous talk you are usually required to back it up with factual hard information in these parts. If you want to be taken seriously that is.

At the moment it is pure speculation.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Sep 24 2009, 08:54 PM) *
My question to Floyd's riders is, do you think the fact this sold well means Floyd shouldn't have to fight real welterweights?

Why he can beat them on paper so best stick to featherweights & look good.
MarzB
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 24 2009, 06:20 PM) *
Why he can beat them on paper so best stick to featherweights & look good.

Question. What will be your battlecry if he does indeed fight Mosley? Should he win, what will you then clamor onto??

"He needs to fight God"?
"He's got to fight two people in one night"?
"He needs to fight two people alternating between rounds"??

Regarding the ticket sales, most professional team stadiums and arenas consider a sellout after 90% capacity. So they comp'd 800 tickets?? Big deal. Do the criticisms have to be so trivial??
Jack 1000
I think it's very hard to confirm many actual PPV numbers,

If sales sucked, how do you know the promoters did not inflate them?

If sales were good, that's cool. But I cannot see how Mayweather-Marquez could draw anywhere NEAR the 800,000-1 million that some are speculating.

Most expected about a 400,000 or less buy rate. For an HBO caliber fight, that's what this match deserved.

Jack
MarzB
I knew this would be said. So Jack are you saying right now as we speak there is a fiendish plot going on between Golden Boy and HBO to falsify the PPV numbers?? These numbers actually can be EASILY confirmed because the revenue comes from the content provider (well actually from the cable and satellite companies) which I believe is "INDEMAND". If there's any "fibbing" or huge distortions, it would definitely come out.

I didn't believe that Margarito vs. Cotto did 400K initially but I accepted it. Lets wait till the numbers are announced but why is it okay to question these numbers but I hardly heard ANY debate on the validity of Pac vs. Hatton numbers (which were damn good?)??
Method
"He needs to fight God"?

Nope. Not at all for me. Just fight the true peeps I always wanted to see him fight - Margs, Mosely...Paul Williams is a welter...Im fine w Cotto too. What I refuse to lend credibility to is fights w Gatti, Baldomir. And this whole weight thing w Marquez, I mean, that's garbage.

All that said, Floyd may very well beat the first group of guys I mentioned, and that's awesome. THAT's what I want to see. I just want to see him in there with the best of class...HIS class. Closest he came was DLH, who I thought he drew with...and Castillo gave him a tough one first go round, but Floyd made good on the rematch.

As for the PPV numbers, I have absolutely nothing to hate on there. Im actually kind of pumped that my sport doubled or tripled UFC, especially after all the shit we've been hearing about UFC.

That said, yu give other fighters as many 24/7's as Mayweather has been the B side of, and its all bound to gain traction. These guys should do 24/7's for all the big PPV fights. If t cost $1M to make, the two fighters should each concede $500K to get the million to produce the 24/7, and then split a bigger % of the PPV, which could likely be more lucrative than the $500K they gave up.

I ain't hating on your boy's PPV success this time around, Marz. Im glad they did what they did. I think Marquez plays a part in this too, no?

Anyway, this is good for boxing. I dont like how Mayweather pulled this bamboozle w the weight crap, but whatever. I wasn't hinging my star to this match up anyway.

I want to see Maoselyy Mayweather. Paq stands a snowballs chance in hell. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Roach and Paq humbled, but as much as I think Roach is getting a big head, I don't think we need the Mayweathers ganging up on his Parkinson's.
jp
There's always going to be something........

If Floyd beats Mosley, Shane was too old
If he beats Pac, Manny was too small
If he beats Cotto, Miguel was ruined by Margarito
If he sells 800-1mil PPVs the numbers are rigged

These numbers are pure speculation at this point but if there if anything official comes out confirming that this PPV did this well people are still going to shit on the guy for one reason or another. Anything good that happens at this point is going to be looked at with a little more than a hint of skepticism. Mayweather will never ever have a huge fan following because most of the time he acts like a dick but people are still going to tune into his fights to see what happens.
jp
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 24 2009, 07:33 PM) *
Nope. Not at all for me. Just fight the true peeps I always wanted to see him fight - Margs, Mosely...Paul Williams is a welter...Im fine w Cotto too. What I refuse to lend credibility to is fights w Gatti, Baldomir. And this whole weight thing w Marquez, I mean, that's garbage.

All that said, Floyd may very well beat the first group of guys I mentioned, and that's awesome. THAT's what I want to see. I just want to see him in there with the best of class...HIS class. Closest he came was DLH, who I thought he drew with...and Castillo gave him a tough one first go round, but Floyd made good on the rematch.

As for the PPV numbers, I have absolutely nothing to hate on there. Im actually kind of pumped that my sport doubled or tripled UFC, especially after all the shit we've been hearing about UFC.

That said, yu give other fighters as many 24/7's as Mayweather has been the B side of, and its all bound to gain traction. These guys should do 24/7's for all the big PPV fights. If t cost $1M to make, the two fighters should each concede $500K to get the million to produce the 24/7, and then split a bigger % of the PPV, which could likely be more lucrative than the $500K they gave up.
I ain't hating on your boy's PPV success this time around, Marz. Im glad they did what they did. I think Marquez plays a part in this too, no?

Anyway, this is good for boxing. I dont like how Mayweather pulled this bamboozle w the weight crap, but whatever. I wasn't hinging my star to this match up anyway.

I want to see Maoselyy Mayweather. Paq stands a snowballs chance in hell. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Roach and Paq humbled, but as much as I think Roach is getting a big head, I don't think we need the Mayweathers ganging up on his Parkinson's.

Agree 100%
MSL
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 24 2009, 07:18 PM) *
When you talk outrageous talk you are usually required to back it up with factual hard information in these parts. If you want to be taken seriously that is.

At the moment it is pure speculation.

i do not care if i'm taken seriously on a message board. i've worked in the combat sports industry for over a decade. the one million mark being confirmed is not a big secret, but everyone was asked to keep it quiet to maximize the impact of the inevitable press release. i run mainly in MMA circles these days, but much prefer boxing and had many friendly debates over the last month about how HBO & UFC would do on 9/19. once i had the million mark confirmed i did not hesitate to rub it in w/ some folks i know who are very anti-boxing.

i'm not required to back up anything and you are not required to believe me. once the number of buys is officially released and you see that i was correct, perhaps next time i "talk outrageous talk" you will be more inclined to accept my facts as just that.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MarzB @ Sep 24 2009, 11:35 PM) *
Question. What will be your battlecry if he does indeed fight Mosley? Should he win, what will you then clamor onto??

"He needs to fight God"?

Stop being a idiot Marz. If he signed to fight Mosley you know what I would say? "Good move that is a start Floyd" & "Holy shit a welter fighting a welter". I would be quite happy for him to fight Mosley.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MSL @ Sep 25 2009, 03:33 AM) *
i'm not required to back up anything and you are not required to believe me. once the number of buys is officially released and you see that i was correct, perhaps next time i "talk outrageous talk" you will be more inclined to accept my facts as just that.

Fair point. It seems outlandish that this fight would do 1,000,000 buys but if it does it shows how many suckers there are who bought into this sham bout.
Fitz
If these numbers are correct with no bullshit attached with them, I can admit that Mayweather possibly deserves the bigger piece of the pie. Well at least a 50/50. I think a 50/50 seems pretty fair.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 24 2009, 09:05 PM) *
Fair point. It seems outlandish that this fight would do 1,000,000 buys but if it does it shows how many suckers there are who bought into this sham bout.

Brings to mind the bars by rapper Immortal Technique:

Technique chemically unstable, set to explode
foretold by the dead sea scrolls written in codes
so if your message ain't shit, fuck the records you sold
'cause if you go platinum, it's got nothing to do with luck
it just means that a million people are stupid as fuck
MSL
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 25 2009, 12:05 AM) *

a real fight fan should prolly just watch showtime as that is where the competitive bouts get made for the most part. HBO is about the stars baby because that is what the casual audience cares about. there is no bigger active star than floyd mayweather. he is DEFINITELY a level (even if it's a small level) above pacquiao.

it had been a LONG time since a big star had fought . . . it had been a long time since the biggest star had fought . . . that combination is the reason so many plunked down the cash for the fight IMO . . .

WWE & UFC both run WAY too many PPV events . . . HBO has scaled WAY back . . . and are now reaping the rewards of it.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (MarzB @ Sep 24 2009, 06:59 PM) *
I knew this would be said. So Jack are you saying right now as we speak there is a fiendish plot going on between Golden Boy and HBO to falsify the PPV numbers?? These numbers actually can be EASILY confirmed because the revenue comes from the content provider (well actually from the cable and satellite companies) which I believe is "INDEMAND". If there's any "fibbing" or huge distortions, it would definitely come out.

I didn't believe that Margarito vs. Cotto did 400K initially but I accepted it. Lets wait till the numbers are announced but why is it okay to question these numbers but I hardly heard ANY debate on the validity of Pac vs. Hatton numbers (which were damn good?)??

Ok when we are talking about PPV revenue, I need to find out are we JUST talking about the cable/Dish/U-Verse subscriptions for the event?

How did the approximately 170 closed-circuit theater telecast go at $15 a ticket. Were the theaters crowded, moderate, or almost no one there?

I think they might be figuring the Closed-Circuit revenue as separate income.

Jack

PS. I really thought that Margarito-Cotto would be higher.
gbh32001
I go with Dan on this one, this rumor will die down without any official number cause this promotion is fraud since from the start.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MSL @ Sep 25 2009, 06:56 AM) *
it had been a LONG time since a big star had fought . . . it had been a long time since the biggest star had fought . . . that combination is the reason so many plunked down the cash for the fight IMO . . .

WWE & UFC both run WAY too many PPV events . . . HBO has scaled WAY back . . . and are now reaping the rewards of it.

You are right there. BUt what HBO have 4-5 PPV boxing events every year these days? UFC average say 400K buys a PPV & run them monthly. That is reaping rewards as in 5 million odd buys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.