Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Richard Schaefer "bitchslaps" Dana White
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MarzB
Well not literally but I love the story on the front page basically telling Dana White that he'll hire the top accounting firms and pay for an audit of his books at his expense.

Dana replies, "Do you thinking I'm fucking crazy". No Dana I don't but "I" definitely believe you're a liar and utterly pathetic for coming out with that green screen prior to the Mayweather/Marquez fight as opposed to promoting your own card.

What would we find out that the UFC has been fudging their numbers,lol??
leonthegee
pacquiao v cotto are going up against the ufc too. thats another chance for boxing to beat up on the ufc again. should be a good year.
Method
I bet the UFC and GBP starts doing hybrid shows. Would make a killing!
provo
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Sep 28 2009, 05:29 PM) *
pacquiao v cotto are going up against the ufc too. thats another chance for boxing to beat up on the ufc again. should be a good year.

Yup ! More bragging rights for boxing! UFC can not compete and Dana knows that he has 2 stack his card to compete boxing don't ! If boxing did ,they would blow UFC out
JLUVBABY
i think the diffrence was the may/marquez card was a lot more solid fight card... ufc has been slippin not putting all their best fighters on one card as of late while people that know fighting could see the boxing card was a much more solid card.. that was the diffrence... solid fight cards will sell rather its boxing or ufc... i am of the opinion that a highly skilled boxers will put on better fights than 2 highly skilled mma fighters but that is my opinion... i hope boxing promoters understand what took place because ufc is not superior to our sport.. it can be as good at times but not superior... that fight card was as solid as what we used to watch in the early 90's... that was a good card..imo...
Method
Dana White was on "Power Lunch" on CNBC today, and he addressed the Mayweather fight and reiterated that that was only boxing's 2nd PPV this year, and that if he did only two PPV's a year, he'd do 10,000,000 buys.

Im not here to debate who's proverbial dick is bigger (UFC vs. Boxing).

I am here to throw it out there that I think if UFC and Dana White started working on putting on Hybrid cards with boxing a/o Richard Schaefer, they would fain SO many followers for both and just CRUSH revenues. That's my gut feeling, anyway
Spyder
There's not enough money, and too many mouths to feed for GBP and UFC to do something together. If neither product was selling, and there was no way to make money on their own...then I think we'd definitely see that. But right now, GBP just did over a million, and UFC claims to have done 1.6 million with UFC 100. They don't need each other.

For them to work together, it would have to be something so BIG, that neither side could make an equivalent amount...of the SPLIT...with their own show.

It's not like 2.4 million PPV buys just grow on trees.
Method
What about something on one of the Big Three networks?
Warlord
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 30 2009, 06:33 AM) *
What about something on one of the Big Three networks?

That's it right there. I don't know if it'll ever get done, but I think the time is right and the UFC and whichever promoter they teamed up with would kill it.

Dana White's master-plan all along has been to get on network television. I think having Oscar Gay La Hoya as a dance partner might be enough firepower to get it done. A wide world of sports type deal featuring both sports could only benefit everyone involved.

EliteXC showed that fight-sports on network television can still be a ratings success when marketed properly.
JD
The Fedor fight for Strikeforce on CBS is going to do very good ratings.
KookedKrack
say what you want about golden boy but Richard Schaefer is reaching Godfather status
MarzB
Question. What does the biggest draws within the UFC earn typically??

What do the lower tier or first, second or third undercard fighters earn? If anyone has averages to both thanks.

I've heard of their dismal pay scales but I'm really curious as to what they are.
Fitz
QUOTE (MarzB @ Oct 1 2009, 04:18 AM) *

What do the lower tier or first, second or third undercard fighters earn? If anyone has averages to both thanks.

I've heard of their dismal pay scales but I'm really curious as to what they are.

I'm not expert when it comes to MMA so someone like Warlord or anyone else can over rule me, but from what I believe I thought the main event guys earn some where between the $800,000-a little bit over a million and I'm not too sure about the lower tier fighters.
JD
QUOTE (MarzB @ Sep 30 2009, 02:18 PM) *

They do not earn much, compared to boxing.

UFC 100, which was reported to have done 1.5 million buys, netted Brock Lesnar $400,000 - and that was the top number on the card (George St Pierre earned the same with his win bonus). The most Lesnar has ever earned was $450,000 at UFC 81, which included a $200,000 KO bonus.

Frank Mir, who he fought and beat earned $45,000. Yes...$45,000, which he could have doubled by winning.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/lesnar-st...0-payouts-18495

Dana White and the Fertitta brothers are making money hand over fist with these PPV's.
Spyder
JD speaks the truth.

UFC fighter's are fighting for peanuts compared to management if the PPV numbers are accurate.

Which would cause ANOTHER problem with the UFC and GBP working together...How would Brock Lesnar feel getting 400K as a headliner and Floyd/Hatton/Mosley/whoever getting $10million on the same card?

For how much shit boxing gets for being fuckin crooked, the UFC and Dana White are 10x that.
getup
Should be noted though that the fighters also get others incentives (cuts from PPV, performance bonuses, etc).

For example Lesnar's total comp for UFC 100 was reportedly just over $3million.

UFC is a completely different business model than boxing so comparisons are difficult.
JD
QUOTE (getup @ Oct 1 2009, 11:15 AM) *
Should be noted though that the fighters also get others incentives (cuts from PPV, performance bonuses, etc).

For example Lesnar's total comp for UFC 100 was reportedly just over $3million.

UFC is a completely different business model than boxing so comparisons are difficult.

Where did you see that number? Do you have a link...I would be curious to read that.

What I have read is that the number paid out bu the UFC does not include sponsor money (as it shouldn't, neither does boxing).

I have never seen Lesnar's payout approach that number in anything I have seen. I would definitely be interested in learning a bit more if I am not understanding correctly.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Oct 1 2009, 11:30 AM) *
Where did you see that number? Do you have a link...I would be curious to read that.

What I have read is that the number paid out bu the UFC does not include sponsor money (as it shouldn't, neither does boxing).

I have never seen Lesnar's payout approach that number in anything I have seen. I would definitely be interested in learning a bit more if I am not understanding correctly.

I also heard that Lesnar made 3 million for ufc 100.

Here's a link!
JD
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Oct 1 2009, 11:51 AM) *
I also heard that Lesnar made 3 million for ufc 100.

Here's a link!

Now how did that $3 mill get covered?

Was it $2.6 from sponsors? Locker room bonuses?

Just curious. I would be shocked if White paid these guys PPV upside.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (JD @ Sep 30 2009, 01:55 PM) *
They do not earn much, compared to boxing.

UFC 100, which was reported to have done 1.5 million buys, netted Brock Lesnar $400,000 - and that was the top number on the card (George St Pierre earned the same with his win bonus). The most Lesnar has ever earned was $450,000 at UFC 81, which included a $200,000 KO bonus.

Frank Mir, who he fought and beat earned $45,000. Yes...$45,000, which he could have doubled by winning.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/lesnar-st...0-payouts-18495

Dana White and the Fertitta brothers are making money hand over fist with these PPV's.

Woooahhhh!!!...Im aware that MMA fighters' take home salaries are lower than boxers...but this comment by "JD" hit me so hard....

What a BIG GAP DIFFERENCE... There is only ONE word that comes to my mind....EXPLOITATION!... The MMA management has exploited their fighters!... How could these MIX MARTIAL ARTS fighters with amazing strength and ripped muscles be exploited?...

Pacquiao received $12M plus PPV shares (BIG MONEY) in his last fight against Hatton and Brock Lesnar $450K only at UFC 81?... Something is wrong somewhere,...I like MMA as much as I like boxing, but this revelation about MMA's prize purse is not FAIR... I can only say then...TITO ORTIZ has a VALID reason to complain.... EXPLOITATION is present in MMA?...
TRU
You guys are morons....

Unlike boxing promoters who simply have their hands out at every instance... the UFC had to infuse alot of money into the marketing of their sport from years back.

Boxing's business model is so broken it's unbelievable. Fighters are overpaid in comparison to the revenue they can generate.

The UFC, while seemingly underpaying their fighters in comparison continues to infuse alot of marketing dollars into their product in one cohesive synergy.

Example... HBO could buy an entire UFC card with Brock Lesnar vs. some other heavyweight as the headline for $2 million. The ratings and live gate would supercede what you'd get from that same amount in boxing by leaps and bounds. What'd we get for $2 millin boxing? Dawson-Johnson II?

Please...

JD
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Oct 1 2009, 11:54 AM) *
Woooahhhh!!!...Im aware that MMA fighters' take home salaries are lower than boxers...but this comment by "JD" hit me so hard....

What a BIG GAP DIFFERENCE... There is only ONE word that comes to my mind....EXPLOITATION!... The MMA management has exploited their fighters!... How could these MIX MARTIAL ARTS fighters with amazing strength and ripped muscles be exploited?...

Pacquiao received $12M plus PPV shares (BIG MONEY) in his last fight against Hatton and Brock Lesnar $450K only at UFC 81?... Something is wrong somewhere,...I like MMA as much as I like boxing, but this revelation about MMA's prize purse is not FAIR... I can only say then...TITO ORTIZ has a VALID reason to complain.... EXPLOITATION is present in MMA?...

I wouldn't call it exploitation...UFC became what it is because of White and the Fertitta's. I mean, if you want a chance to fight IN the UFC, you have to sign with them. The guys who are not headliners do get the shaft though, I mean, Mir was a big part of that PPV and he made next to nothing.

All that said, UFC will eventually run into problems because the fighters will get together and start demanding a bigger cut...it is bound to happen.
Spyder
No shit.

Tito Ortiz previously told them to fuck off, and Fedor recently did the same thing.

The talent pool of that sport is hurting because of the low paychecks.
getup
QUOTE (JD @ Oct 1 2009, 11:54 AM) *
Now how did that $3 mill get covered?

Was it $2.6 from sponsors? Locker room bonuses?

Just curious. I would be shocked if White paid these guys PPV upside.

Many fighters have enjoyed ppv upside (i.e., Lesnar, Couture, Chuck, etc).

JD
QUOTE (getup @ Oct 2 2009, 08:22 AM) *

Is that right?

Why is it so hush hush?
Warlord
QUOTE (Spyder @ Oct 1 2009, 10:40 PM) *
No shit.

Tito Ortiz previously told them to fuck off, and Fedor recently did the same thing.

The talent pool of that sport is hurting because of the low paychecks.

1.) Tito Ortiz is not an A fighter anymore. Him telling Dana White to stick it would be like a janitor telling Bill Gates to stick it.

2.) Tito just resigned with the UFC after telling them to "fuck off," because he couldn't find anyone else to pay him what he made fighting for the UFC.

3.) Fedor not signing with the UFC had nothing to do with money, it had to do with principle. Fedor took less money to go to Strikeforce.
Warlord
QUOTE (JD @ Oct 2 2009, 09:23 AM) *
Is that right?

Why is it so hush hush?

Getup is right. Many fighters make much more than what is reported. It's kind of an open secret. Dana rewards exciting and/or dominant fighters.

The funny thing is, the monster truck Rampage Jackson was driving when he went, well, on a rampage, was a gift from Dana White and the UFC.

Make no mistake, there is a huge discrepancy between fighters pay. Brock Lesnar does indeed average about $3,000,000 a fight, and Frank Mir did indeed take home $45,000 for the rematch. Fucked up considering he won their first fight and was coming off a victory over Big Nog.

The pay issue will come to a head when there is another org strong enough to compete with the UFC in terms of revenue. This issue right now is just another unfortunate circumstance we were left with after the death of Pride.
thehype
QUOTE (Warlord @ Oct 2 2009, 09:52 AM) *
Getup is right. Many fighters make much more than what is reported. It's kind of an open secret. Dana rewards exciting and/or dominant fighters.

I think that's an inaccurate statement. A more accurate statement would be A FEW fighters make much more than what is reported.

As far as I know, the majority of the fighters in the UFC that I or Percy has spoken to actually complain A LOT about the unfair treatment and low pay they receive. The problem is that they just have to take it because there's nowhere else to go.

I mean, if they were making money like that, then why is Dan Henderson holding out for more money right now despite the fact that he earned a KO bonus and was given a new ride (that broke down...lol) after he knocked out Bisping?

I mean, don't get me wrong, if you're in with Dana and one of his favorite guys, then yeah, you get hooked up, but the number of guys that get hooked up like that are few and far between...you can probabl count them on two hands...and when you have an organization with nearly 200 fighters, that's not a good look for the other 190 guys.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (getup @ Oct 2 2009, 08:22 AM) *

I'll give you the first 3...I'll even give you 2 others...Tito Ortiz and Rampage Jackson...but now name me 5 others who are enjoying PPV upside (Warlord, feel free to chime in with the other 5 if you know them).

And oh, just for the record, I don't think either side, boxing or MMA, has it right. I think it should be a combination of the two...boxers should get paid less and mixed martial artists should get paid more. However, that being said, I think the UFC has a better model as far as making fights happen and putting together good cards. I would LOVE to see boxing start giving out bonuses for performance or knockout of the night...or maybe do something like they're going to do for the Hopkins-Jones bout (assuming that happens) where the winner gets the bigger purse or something like that. I think that would solve a lot of problems in boxing with fights that get made or fights that end up being boring. Of course, I think there are some things that the UFC needs to take from boxing as well...there definitely needs to be some type of ranking system to come up with worthy title challenges because the way they make title fights right now is just crazy (I mean, Randy Couture getting a title shot if he beats Brandon Vera is RIDICULOUS).
getup
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 2 2009, 02:47 PM) *
I'll give you the first 3...I'll even give you 2 others...Tito Ortiz and Rampage Jackson...but now name me 5 others who are enjoying PPV upside (Warlord, feel free to chime in with the other 5 if you know them).

And oh, just for the record, I don't think either side, boxing or MMA, has it right. I think it should be a combination of the two...boxers should get paid less and mixed martial artists should get paid more. However, that being said, I think the UFC has a better model as far as making fights happen and putting together good cards. I would LOVE to see boxing start giving out bonuses for performance or knockout of the night...or maybe do something like they're going to do for the Hopkins-Jones bout (assuming that happens) where the winner gets the bigger purse or something like that. I think that would solve a lot of problems in boxing with fights that get made or fights that end up being boring. Of course, I think there are some things that the UFC needs to take from boxing as well...there definitely needs to be some type of ranking system to come up with worthy title challenges because the way they make title fights right now is just crazy (I mean, Randy Couture getting a title shot if he beats Brandon Vera is RIDICULOUS).

when I said many, I should've clarified.....only the perceived stars past and present including Brock, Randy, Chuck, Hughes(not sure anymore), Rampage(actually not anymore, lol), St. Pierre(now), Penn, Silva(now), Tito(previous stint & now I assume), Shamrock(previous stint), etc.

When you think about, not much different than boxing where only the 'stars/main event' share in the pot. Comparing the payscales at the very top is another matter, but as we know we're talking two different business models all together.

MarzB
The difference with boxing is that boxers do have options as to what promotional banner they want to fight under. Dana pretty much has a monopoly on the MMA world.
Warlord
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 2 2009, 02:47 PM) *

I think Getup got the rest. GSP and Penn. I imagine both Silvas (Wanderlei and Anderson) see much more as well. Some of the original TUF fighters (Griffin and Leben) were also seeing money on the side as well.

I never meant to give off the impression that the majority of UFC fighters were getting paid huge dollars, so if anyone took it that way, my apologies. laugh.gif I've made numerous posts regarding the slave wages Dana White puts out. But there are a number of fighters, again, who are either established stars or champions, that make far beyond the numbers being reported on the stat sheets. I can't deny that, no matter how much I hate Dana White.

But yes, the UFC has a long ways to go in regards to parity in the pay scale. No doubt.

The upside to Dana's model is that fighters are staying hungry, and are forced to fight the tough fights and fight them in an exciting style, in order to make the big money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.