Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If Floyd Isn't the BEST boxer right now, then who the Heck is?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
kingknockout
let me know? and PLEASE give valid reasoning
Lil-lightsout
Floyd could be. But honestly, lets please just wait and see him in there with a top welterweight first. I mean we have seen him slightly stunned before, who is to say he could take a good welterweights punch? We are yet to find out. Right now he has not fought the best there is and it sure seems he is not interested in doing so either. Uncles Roger and Jeff had absolutely weak ass chins, maybe Floyd does not have such a great beard on him? Maybe that is why he has steered clear of bigger punchers at welterweight. Yes, at the lower weights he fought anybody. If Floyd beats some top welterweights, easily he is the best. But no one should just automatically be proclaimed the best if you are not willing to fight the best in your own damn division. I mean what is so hard to understand about that? I mean these things should be PROVEN in the ring, not just giving to you by heresay.

As far as the best is right now...I would slightly favor Pac for his more recent impressive activity.But that could soon change.

Oh...I kind of reread your title thread. If you are just asking who is the best boxer right now, then I would say hands down Floyd. His overall boxing skills are amazing. Now as an overall package, I would say his weaknesses are...

1-Lack of real welterweight power.
2-Lack of killer instinct.
3-Lack quality welterweight opponents.
4-Inactivity.
5-Pot shots too much, he used to throw punches before in better combinations earlier in his career.

So IMO just cause you are the best boxer, does not guarantee you will always win. Forrest had tons of more natural and fundamental talent than Mayorga, but look what happened in there two fights. Paez against Grove. Sanders against Wlad. The list goes on and on and on. Thats why I prefer fights to be settled in the ring.
pacco_diablo
It's got to be Pacquiao, IMO. Mainly because of the opposition that he has faced:

Hatton, De La Hoya, Marquez, Barerra, and Morales. All of which have been ranked highly p4p.

One could argue the same for Mayweather being that he has faced:

Hatton, De La Hoya, Marquez, Corrales, and Castillo.

The difference is that Pac has moved up to make many of these fights. He has also shown the desire to be "risky" and fight top rated fighters in higher divisions. Pac taking a fight against Cotto shows that he really has some balls. These are the type of fighters that I rank highly p4p.

It's got to be Pacquiao right now.
leonthegee
your right it's floyd.
mrwigi
A little chant i learned in decemeber 2007.

theres only 1 mayweather
caneman
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Sep 29 2009, 06:48 PM) *
A little chant i learned in decemeber 2007.

theres only 1 mayweather

Thank God
The CEO
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 29 2009, 07:07 PM) *
Thank God

Y'all don't know this...but remember the guy who was constantly beating the drum during Hatton fights?...the one yellin' the wonderland jingle with his mouth wide open missin' his molars....well....caneman beat his ass in the parking lot the night Mayweather check hooked Hatton into embarrassment...
caneman
QUOTE (The CEO @ Sep 29 2009, 07:11 PM) *
Y'all don't know this...but remember the guy who was constantly beating a drum during Hatton fights?...the one yellin' the wonderland jingle with his mouth wide open missin' his molars....well....caneman beat his ass in the parking lot the night Mayweather check hooked Hatton into embarrassment...

That was one good night! Hatton KTFO cold & that fucker was still beating that damn drum! It's was priceless for sure! I wonder how they ever let that guy in there with that drum...I would have stuck them up the guys ass if I was close to there! I would have got kicked outta that place that night!
provo
Mayweather hands down is the best BOXER in the sport ! U said Boxer ! Best fighter is probably pac he's a exciteing fighter but the man has no Boxing skills! There is a difference. And there is no one in boxing that can outbox floyd. floyd is a boxer ,stick and move can use the jab effective throws the right like its suppose to be thrown and has the best defense ,hits without getting hit!

Caneman u whooped that guys ass LOL that's tight !

D-MARV
Mayweather is the best boxer in the world but if he doesn't fight one of these welterweights or Pacquiao next then he will be deservingly BASHED!

PrfPmp

It's got to be Pacquiao, IMO. Mainly because of the opposition that he has faced:

Hatton, De La Hoya, Marquez, Barerra, and Morales. All of which have been ranked highly p4p.

Hatton, De La Hoya, Marquez, Corrales, and Castillo

Ok thats a pretty unfair way to view it. The FACTS are:

Manny Pacquiao has DEFEATED and NEVER LOST TO:
Hatton, De La Hoya(badlyweight-drained),, and, Barerra. All of which have been ranked highly p4p.
Pac has been outboxed, AND KO'd in the past.

Hatton(UNDEFEATED), De La Hoya(AT !54), Marquez, Corrales(UNDEFEATED), Castillo, JUDAH, J CHAVEZ(35-1@time), G Hernandez, Gatti, .
Has never lost or tied, while traveling 5 weight classes against for the most past, the very best.

I like Floyd and I like Manny. Id LOVE to see them fight....
But to say Manny has accomplished more, has been more dominant, or is a better fighter is just wrong!!!!!!!
No one is better than Floyd till someone beats him...cant even be questioned!
provo
QUOTE (PrfPmp @ Sep 29 2009, 04:52 PM) *

Hatton, De La Hoya(badlyweight-drained),, and, Barerra. All of which have been ranked highly p4p.

Hatton(UNDEFEATED), De La Hoya(AT !54), Marquez, Corrales(UNDEFEATED), Castillo, JUDAH, J CHAVEZ(35-1@time), G Hernandez, Gatti, .
Has never lost or tied, while traveling 5 weight classes against for the most past, the very best.

But to say Manny has accomplished more, has been more dominant, or is a better fighter is just wrong!!!!!!!

I agree with u ! Angel manfredy also u can add 2 that list he was good at that time when floyd beat him!
Pac beat a washed up erik morales and barrea they were at the end of their carrers ,in their primes they would have destroyed pac ! Pac avoides guys that know how to BOX for instance black fighters !
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 29 2009, 10:40 AM) *
Floyd could be. But honestly, lets please just wait and see him in there with a top welterweight first. I mean we have seen him slightly stunned before, who is to say he could take a good welterweights punch? We are yet to find out. Right now he has not fought the best there is and it sure seems he is not interested in doing so either. Uncles Roger and Jeff had absolutely weak ass chins, maybe Floyd does not have such a great beard on him? Maybe that is why he has steered clear of bigger punchers at welterweight. Yes, at the lower weights he fought anybody. If Floyd beats some top welterweights, easily he is the best. But no one should just automatically be proclaimed the best if you are not willing to fight the best in your own damn division. I mean what is so hard to understand about that? I mean these things should be PROVEN in the ring, not just giving to you by heresay.

As far as the best is right now...I would slightly favor Pac for his more recent impressive activity.But that could soon change.

Oh...I kind of reread your title thread. If you are just asking who is the best boxer right now, then I would say hands down Floyd. His overall boxing skills are amazing. Now as an overall package, I would say his weaknesses are...

1-Lack of real welterweight power.
2-Lack of killer instinct.
3-Lack quality welterweight opponents.
4-Inactivity.
5-Pot shots too much, he used to throw punches before in better combinations earlier in his career.

So IMO just cause you are the best boxer, does not guarantee you will always win. Forrest had tons of more natural and fundamental talent than Mayorga, but look what happened in there two fights. Paez against Grove. Sanders against Wlad. The list goes on and on and on. Thats why I prefer fights to be settled in the ring.

I was about to answer the QUESTION thread...but i read this comment above...and I agree 100%...That's the same answer I have for you re "If Floyd Isn't the BEST boxer right now, then who the Heck is?"... Did you get it?..."the Heck" is the best boxer right now...and that Heck is leaning a little bit toward Pacquiao....hahaha... every boxer must prove themselves in the ring!... Ducking is strictly PROHIBITED...
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Sep 29 2009, 12:39 PM) *

Hatton, De La Hoya, Marquez, Corrales, and Castillo.

The difference is that Pac has moved up to make many of these fights. He has also shown the desire to be "risky" and fight top rated fighters in higher divisions. Pac taking a fight against Cotto shows that he really has some balls. These are the type of fighters that I rank highly p4p.

It's got to be Pacquiao right now.

I agree with pacco_diablo... these are facts that are not hidden... and one more thing, in my personal opinion the best boxer is the one who had experienced defeat and came back with extra-ordinary feats...One good example is the Greatest of them all : Muhammad Ali...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Sep 29 2009, 08:26 PM) *
I was about to answer the QUESTION thread...but i read this comment above...and I agree 100%...That's the same answer I have for you re "If Floyd Isn't the BEST boxer right now, then who the Heck is?"... Did you get it?..."the Heck" is the best boxer right now...and that Heck is leaning a little bit toward Pacquiao....hahaha... every boxer must prove themselves in the ring!... Ducking is strictly PROHIBITED...

Thanks. Yeah...Floyd is definately good at ducking in AND out of the ring.

We will just wait and see who he plans on fighting next. I was hoping a fight with Mosley, but if he fights any of the other top welterweights next, guess thats better than a lightweight atleast.
tottenham19
There isn't IMO.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (tottenham19 @ Sep 29 2009, 08:49 PM) *
There isn't IMO.

No clear #1 P4P champ to you? Too close to call, or no one really deserves it? Just curious. Interesting reply, not knocking your opinion either.
The CEO
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 29 2009, 07:18 PM) *
That was one good night! Hatton KTFO cold & that fucker was still beating that damn drum! It's was priceless for sure! I wonder how they ever let that guy in there with that drum...I would have stuck them up the guys ass if I was close to there! I would have got kicked outta that place that night!

laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (provo @ Sep 29 2009, 07:27 PM) *
Caneman u whooped that guys ass LOL that's tight !

yahoo.gif
Fitz
Pacquiao is p4p #1. Mayweather is possibly the best and most skilled, but until he takes risks and we see him beat opposition and not TALK about how he would beat them, he will continue to play second fiddle.
Keith
Floyd Mayweather is the best boxer. He has all the tools... Great jab, fast hands, fast feet, and a big vagina.
provo
Floyd will never get credit for any wins even if he beats cotto,shane and pac ,people will find excuses !
And that's the truth!
Fitz
QUOTE (provo @ Sep 30 2009, 11:24 AM) *
Floyd will never get credit for any wins even if he beats cotto,shane and pac ,people will find excuses !
And that's the truth!

He will never get any credit for being a welter weight and beating Marquez and Hatton type fighters.
And that's the truth!
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (PrfPmp @ Sep 29 2009, 07:52 PM) *

Ok. I can't discredit your opinion but I do have a rebuttal. First let me start by saying that Floyd is definitely more accomplished than Pacquiao, but the question posed was who is the best boxer right now. Had he not retired then he'd most likely still be p4p #1, IMO. You could use his undefeated record as validity to your argument and not be knocked for that. BUT... he does have 14 fewer fights than Paquiao despite being 2 years older.

Judah, Hernandez, and Jesus Chavez were all B class fighters, so I personally wouldnt put them in the "top notch" catagory. Manfredy didnt do too much either in the grand sceme of things other than beat Gatti. All good fighters but none have sustained a p4p ranking.

Lets do some side by side comparison... These are just interesting more than anything else.

Manny started at 107 lbs. and has fought through 10 weight divisions.
Floyd started at 130 lbs. and has fought through 5 weight divisions

Manny has had 54 professional fights.
Floyd has had 40 professional fights.

Manny vs Marquez- Marquez knocked down 3 times (2 fights), D & SD
Floyd vs Marques- Marquez knocked down once, UD

Manny vs Hatton- KO round 2
FLoyd vs Hatton- TKO round 10

Manny vs DLH- RTD round 8
Floyd vs DLH- SD (though it should have been UD)

Now by no means am I saying that Manny beats Floyd, but right now Pacquiao deserves the #1 p4p ranking. He shouldnt lose that just because Floyd comes back and beats a smaller guy. Floyd should relinquish that ranking just like he did his belts.

Keith
QUOTE (provo @ Sep 29 2009, 09:24 PM) *
And that's the truth!

He might beat them all. He has to fight them to beat them provo... thats the problem dude, open your friggin eyes!
JaRaNDa
Hands down Mayweather is without doubt the most skilled boxer in the game at the moment! Unfortunately you don't rate greatness or P4P status by that! I think Pac is the best P4P in the world.
Warlord
Danny Williamz is da best boxer on da planet. Believe it.

westside
Snoop
QUOTE (Warlord @ Sep 30 2009, 12:01 PM) *

westside

laugh.gif

I wonder how many are going to get that one.
JD
I miss that dude. LOL...he round by round was hilarious.

I need to find it.
JD
LOL...ahhh yes...pure brilliance.

http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.php?showtopic=12833

yuca
Floyd is the best BOXER right now, I don't think that is debatable...that doesn't have to do with p4p or ppv...
PrfPmp

The best example would be the Sugar Ray Robinson, who like mayweather, Dominated untill he had a UD loss when he moved up in weight against Lamotta(Castillo)(Mayweathers was debateable), came back and won a clear UD, and then was dominant and never lost again untill he got older..He won like 80 fights in a row over like an 8 year span.
Mayweather aint Roy Jones..he's fought the very best of his generation...theres 2 or 3 fighters left for him to fight, AND HE BETTER FIGHT AT LEAST TWO, but THEY HAVE TO PROVE THEYRE BETTER THAN FLOYD, not the other way around
Manny started at 107 lbs. and has fought through 10 weight divisions.
Floyd started at 130 lbs. and has fought through 5 weight divisions

Manny has had 54 professional fights.
Floyd has had 40 professional fights.

Manny vs Marquez- Marquez knocked down 3 times (2 fights), D & SD
Floyd vs Marques- Marquez knocked down once, UD

Manny vs Hatton- KO round 2
FLoyd vs Hatton- TKO round 10

Manny vs DLH- RTD round 8
Floyd vs DLH- SD (though it should have been UD)

Now by no means am I saying that Manny beats Floyd, but right now Pacquiao deserves the #1 p4p ranking. He shouldnt lose that just because Floyd comes back and beats a smaller guy. Floyd should relinquish that ranking just like he did his belts.

Everything you you stated is a fact, no doubt, but

Manny turned pro at 15 and his first 30 FIGHTS were in the phillipines...he got a draw in his 2nd US fight btw
Floyd had already beat G HERNANDEZ for a world title in his 16 pr 17th fight
Im sure you didnt know that otherwise you wouldnt have thrown those weak ass stats out there! lol

PAC BEING MORE IMPRESSIVE AGAINST DLH - C'mon brother...watch a few rounds of each fight back to back..the DLH that Floyd fought wouldve KOd the DLH that manny fought by the 6th round

THE MARQUEZ FIGHTS - How can u use these when trying to make an arguement for PAC???? Pac fought tooth and nail and Floyd WIPED HIM OUT...THE BIGGEST COMPUBOX MISMATCH EVEEERRR

Hatton - Good Win For Pac, I was Impressed

This whole thing reminds me of Tito Trinidad (MY ALL TIME FAV) when he was knocking everyone out
You'll like this:

Hopkins vs Joppy - 2 UD Wins for Hop
Tito vs Joppy - A total destruction win for Tito
Tito vs Hops - Exactly

BTW paco this thread is titled If floyd is THE BEST FIGHTER.....Not is floyd #1 p4p

Fitz
QUOTE (JD @ Sep 30 2009, 11:01 PM) *

Haha, I still laugh at that.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Warlord @ Sep 30 2009, 12:01 PM) *

westside

He was possibly the greatest troll we ever had. Brilliant because he did not cause shit just made us laugh. Must have been a OG posters alter ego.....
Warlord
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 30 2009, 09:37 PM) *
He was possibly the greatest troll we ever had. Brilliant because he did not cause shit just made us laugh. Must have been a OG posters alter ego.....

Danny Williamz would spud all da fighters mentioned here today. He'z only pretendin' to loze to lure you suckas into da trap. Williamz iz da best.

westside
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.