Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did anybody watch the PBF-Marquez fight in the theaters
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
True-Boxing-Fan
Whats up everybody, did anybody watch the PBF-Marquez fight in the theaters? Whatever happened to that? I know in the beginning of the promotion they said it will be in theaters nationwide? But as the fight neared I really didnt hear much about it. Did anybody see it in a theater? I live in Sacramento and thought for sure it would be here in one of our theaters. Nothing. Did that concept fall through or something. It would be great for fights to be shown in the theaters. IMO having the big fights in theaters is a great way to build boxing popularity and bring in tons of young fans. I'd love for a chance to take my son to the theaters to watch some of the big fights.
JonnyBlaze
I saw it in theaters..It was awesome..I highly recommend everyone to take advantage of the opportunity if it comes around again..Hopefully it will..The people in the theater could ruin the fights for you so that is a risk..Yet,I didn't let anyone bug me..It was a good experience..
STEVENSKI
Why would you pay to watch a fight when you can go down the pub & watch it for free? Better yet why would you put one cent on that cunt Mayweathers pocket?
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Oct 1 2009, 11:23 PM) *
I saw it in theaters..It was awesome..I highly recommend everyone to take advantage of the opportunity if it comes around again..Hopefully it will..The people in the theater could ruin the fights for you so that is a risk..Yet,I didn't let anyone bug me..It was a good experience..

That's cool that you went. I'm guessing that the theatre was kind of empty, but I'd consider going. What bothers me though is the idea of having to be quiet.
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 2 2009, 05:29 AM) *
Why would you pay to watch a fight when you can go down the pub & watch it for free? Better yet why would you put one cent on that cunt Mayweathers pocket?

Chief Haterizer is 100% accurate. Man, do you say these things for a response or do you really believe it? Buying Mayweather PPV's are good for the sport. Just because you have a hard time believing there are greats now doesnt mean we havent seen any in the last 10 years. The bigger the name the harder time you have letting go. Roy Jones Jr. for example, a great that you refuse to recognize. Mayweather is really a pussy?
RyanA
I saw the fight in theaters. All of the AMC theaters that showd the fight here in San Diego were sold out for the fight. It was a 50-50 split down the middle of fans cheering for their respective fighter. GREAT experience- totally worth it- becuase these were all BOXING fans. And the cheering going back and forth was epic. I would totally recommed doing this again- but make sure to show up a bit before undercard starts- otherwise good luck trying to find any seats in the dark.
Method

My bro saw it in a theater in Boca. Said it wasnt that packed, but that it was an awesome experience. Said he got a middle row, mid isle seat - best in the house.

Said people were talking among their groups, but nothing obnoxious.

Said the broadcast quality was top notch.
BGv2.0
I had the opportunity to do so....but there is no way I would pay money for a PBF fight.

If this had been JMM/Hatton.....something along those lines...yes. I MIGHT even see it for PBF/Manny....but I would really have to weigh it...and even still I'd be going to see Manny.

But to see PBF pitter pat all night on a little guy like JMM....nah.

I don't even like watching him with people his own size I sure did not want to see a mismatch.

They also stuck in an odd city. They should have put that shit in Houston, instead they put it in like Katy or something odd like that....I remember really being put off by the location as well.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 2 2009, 05:29 AM) *

Apparently over 1 million people have the answer to that question.
MarzB
I remember going to these as a kid with my pops and it was great. Actually in hindsight, I vividly recall these being DURING THE WEEK. Hagler vs. Duran , Leonard vs. Hagler, Hagler vs. Duran I recall definitely being on then school nights. The only reason I bring that up is WOW, how boxing has feel in the landscape. They had reporters from TV stations outside of the threatres covering the fight.

nuff reminiscing. To those that went, was there alcohol sales?

I live in Minnesota and at the Mall of America there used to be a sports bar that showed all the fights, especially the ones I didn't want to buy (even that heavyweight card with Rahman, Ruiz/Golotta, Holyfield/Donald and I forgot who Byrd fought that night) but watch. Trust me, watching fights amongst crowd live and/or PPV is a great experience.

I would have loved to have seen how the fight would have looked like nowadays at a movie theatre.

i GUARANTEE Arum is going to do this for Pac and Cotto.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Oct 2 2009, 03:40 PM) *
Chief Haterizer is 100% accurate. Man, do you say these things for a response or do you really believe it? Buying Mayweather PPV's are good for the sport. Just because you have a hard time believing there are greats now doesnt mean we havent seen any in the last 10 years. The bigger the name the harder time you have letting go. Roy Jones Jr. for example, a great that you refuse to recognize. Mayweather is really a pussy?

No I truly believe Mayweather is a cunt & you would be a fool to put money in his pockets for a obvious mismatch of this calibre. I don't believe that buying these type of Mayweather PPV's are good for the sport if anything it is detrimental as it adds legitimacy to the fact that people will buy these mismatches.

The fact that there was a million suckers buying this shit gives it a sense of it being a right & correct fight when it was far from that. For the record there are greats right now & there have been in the last 10 years. I believe Mayweather could be one of them but he has done nothing the last few years to show his greatness.

Roy for all his faults was content with fighting the #1 contender's for his many belts & I can understand that. They were at least campaigners in his divisions & earned the right to fight for X alphabet's belt. Floyd does not even do that he fights inflated featherweights at welterweights & then he & his fans expect us to marvel at his bravado & skills.

Floyd is a pussy when it comes to fighting legit welterweights I believe that. No fighter is a pussy for getting in the ring as that takes courage & skill but the fact that he will not fight any welterweights & the best & only real welter he has fought was Baldozar speaks volumes about him being a pussy when it comes to fighting at welter.

QUOTE (StyleZ @ Oct 2 2009, 06:46 PM) *
Apparently over 1 million people have the answer to that question.

5 billion people on this planet & a sucker born every minute. I think we all need to remember that we are a boxing starved public that are prepared to buy what we are told is a big & great fight due to our lack of boxing intake.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (MarzB @ Oct 2 2009, 06:37 PM) *
I remember going to these as a kid with my pops and it was great. Actually in hindsight, I vividly recall these being DURING THE WEEK. Hagler vs. Duran , Leonard vs. Hagler, Hagler vs. Duran I recall definitely being on then school nights. The only reason I bring that up is WOW, how boxing has feel in the landscape. They had reporters from TV stations outside of the threatres covering the fight.

nuff reminiscing. To those that went, was there alcohol sales?

I live in Minnesota and at the Mall of America there used to be a sports bar that showed all the fights, especially the ones I didn't want to buy (even that heavyweight card with Rahman, Ruiz/Golotta, Holyfield/Donald and I forgot who Byrd fought that night) but watch. Trust me, watching fights amongst crowd live and/or PPV is a great experience.

I would have loved to have seen how the fight would have looked like nowadays at a movie theatre.

i GUARANTEE Arum is going to do this for Pac and Cotto.

i agree with you i watched the holyfield/foreman fight at the montainge center here in beaumont and there was probably 2 or 3000 people watching and it was a great time... i remember i was setting next to this cowboy kinda guy and the tommy morrison fight was on when he finally came back to knock out yuri vaulen and i made the comment to my cuzzin that he would get knocked out by ray mercer if they ever fought... he went crazy when i said that... on the other side of me was a drunk indian, or he could have been mexican im not sure, that had my back and hushed up the big cowboy, i was in the 11th grade at the time... i've always wished i could have caught up with that cowboy and made a nice little wager with him on the mercer/morrison fight... we all know the outcome of that one...lol.... but all in all that was a very fun experience... fight was on a theater sized screen... reception was great all night long... the crowd went crazy for every fight... it was great... i think its a good idea to bring back on a regular basis on the truley major fight cards...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 2 2009, 04:29 AM) *

My guy tried to go to a pub to see it and they were charging 20 bucks to get in to see the fight where as I went to the movies and paid 12.50 and got to see it on the big screen..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Oct 2 2009, 10:26 AM) *
That's cool that you went. I'm guessing that the theatre was kind of empty, but I'd consider going. What bothers me though is the idea of having to be quiet.

Well the theater was completely packed..It was over flowing with people..Not an empty seat and they had to start bringing chairs in to seat more people..This was in Chicago so the theater was big..

I wish it was more quiet but it was better than if I had gone to a bar to see it..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.