Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tua Returns-Good for the HW division?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
So David Tua returned last night here in NZ by thumping out a palooka called Shane Cameron who had somehow miraculoulsy made it to number 6 in the WBO ratings, blasting him out 7 seconds into round 2.

Due to some clever marketing it was well hyped in NZ and many casual fans thought Cameron had a chance of winning. LOL. Oh my learned friends I made some easy coin in this fight.

A few things about the fight that you guys might consider interesting. Tua came in at 107kgs his lightest in years. Although still a little heavier than his heyday the weight suited him real well, he looked about 25 again. More importantly the speed looks to have returned. Granted it was only a journeyman that he ko'ed but the speed was impressive. Like Tua of old.

And Roger Bloodworth has finally got him throwing right hands. He hit Cameron with some HUGE right hands and of course the signature hook. I'll admit the Klit's may very well jab him to death but I like him against any other HW out there right now and if he can stay active he may be able to add a little fun back into the division. Far from being washed up and going through the motions this was as an intense and focussed David Tua as I've ever seen. Apparently his court case with his former managers looks like finally ending and he seems to be in the right head space.

I wish you guys could've seen it, hopefully it makes it's way on to You Tube at some point.

I understand it's recycling another old name but if he can get himself a belt he would be the ideal guy to get the casual fan watching the HW division again until hopefully a younger fighter comes through. Certainly more interesting than either Klit. Oh and he'd murder David Haye.
Lil-lightsout
Always loved Tua. With his chin and power, I thought he was a sure thing to have a belt. I always thought he had good skills too, but relied too much on his power to bail him out. Got to meet him and shoot the shit with him for awhile in AC back when Holyfield fought Mercer. He was really cool and outgoing to me. Well hopefully he can stay busy and maybe get another shot in the near future.
JLUVBABY
i wish tua all the best... he deserves a break and maybe just maybe he's throwing the kind of bombs that would dent the chin of a wladimir...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Oct 4 2009, 12:14 AM) *
i wish tua all the best... he deserves a break and maybe just maybe he's throwing the kind of bombs that would dent the chin of a wladimir...

I think it's possible. Considering there are 4 belts out there it amazes me he never won a strap. I would give him a chance against Wlad, he tends to make more mistakes than his brother. I would just like to see him spark up the division, he's a fun guy and people love dramatic knock out power. Fuck I'd love to see him clean Sam Peter's dial.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Oh there is a decent clip up on YouTube check it out and let me know what you think.
Snoop
Tua returning is interesting. Anything remotely interesting in the HW division of today is a good thing.
BigG
Tua looked good in the fight....'d like to see Samuel Peter vs. David Tua.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (BigG @ Oct 4 2009, 12:01 AM) *
Tua looked good in the fight....'d like to see Samuel Peter vs. David Tua.

I would love to see Tua versus either Peter, Arreola, Haye or even Valuev, I think he knocks the Beast from the East out. Unfortunately I don't see their promoters letting them anywhere near him. I know Arreola was keen but that was before he lost to Klit.

And he even managed a Toney-esque Burger King shout out at the end. Classic.
hardhead
I laughed my ass off when I read the billing for the fight...."The Fight of the Century!" LOL
The Original MrFactor
Tua is just a blast from the 90's. He rally has no shot against the Klits. None, zero... In fact, if he were to fight either Klit, they'd be the 1st to stop Tua. Any combo of Tua/Toney, Tua/Arreola or Tua/Peter would be entertaining though...
Spyder
Tua/Toney would look like Tua/Byrd.

The Tuamanator looked impressive blowing up Cameron, but I think it was more smoke and mirrors. The Klits would not be challenged by Tua...at any point in his career.
Snoop
QUOTE (hardhead @ Oct 4 2009, 07:05 PM) *
I laughed my ass off when I read the billing for the fight...."The Fight of the Century!" LOL

Yeah where the fuck did they validate that one?
JLUVBABY
i think it was billed as the fight of the century in new zealand wasnt it?...lol....

tua vs. sam peter or chris arreola or actually mix that up how ever sounds good to me... none of those fights are going the distance... hell throw david haye in there too for a four man tournament...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Spyder @ Oct 4 2009, 04:06 PM) *
Tua/Toney would look like Tua/Byrd.

The Tuamanator looked impressive blowing up Cameron, but I think it was more smoke and mirrors. The Klits would not be challenged by Tua...at any point in his career.

Toney is my favourite fighter of all time but I'm not sure his reflexes are good enough anymore to not get caught by Tua. I would favour the Klits against David but do give him a slight chance against Wlad, just coz he has been known to make the odd mistake.

'Fight of the Century.' Yeah more than a bit cringe worthy but I think it was supposed to reflect NZ's biggest boxing event, which sadly doesn't say much for the sport in NZ. I would prefer to see Tua back in the mix more than I'd like to see Arreola or Eddie Chambers. LOL

An Arreola/Tua fight would be fun though.
Snoop
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Oct 5 2009, 12:31 AM) *
i think it was billed as the fight of the century in new zealand wasnt it?...lol....

tua vs. sam peter or chris arreola or actually mix that up how ever sounds good to me... none of those fights are going the distance... hell throw david haye in there too for a four man tournament...

There must not be much boxing in NZ or plan to have much boxing there, if that was supposed to be the fight of the century. LOL.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Oct 4 2009, 08:54 PM) *
There must not be much boxing in NZ or plan to have much boxing there, if that was supposed to be the fight of the century. LOL.

Dude it's a crying shame, you go down to South Auckland and there is a David Tua or Mike Tyson on every corner. Those Polynesian guys are built to box.

However they all get sucked into either rugby or rugby league in NZ and consequently Tua remains our one semi-well known fighter (I guess you could chuck in Ray Sefo as well). But trust me there are more of them out there, they just don't know it yet. LOL
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Oct 4 2009, 09:29 PM) *
Dude it's a crying shame, you go down to South Auckland and there is a David Tua or Mike Tyson on every corner. Those Polynesian guys are built to box.

However they all get sucked into either rugby or rugby league in NZ and consequently Tua remains our one semi-well known fighter (I guess you could chuck in Ray Sefo as well). But trust me there are more of them out there, they just don't know it yet. LOL

wasnt jimmy thunder from new zealand?... or was it australia?...
JaRaNDa
I just finished watching the Tua-Cameron fight and Tua seemed to have took his time and showed speed when he saw the openings. He still puts punches together well and obviously still posses good power, but was against a fighter I don't know much about who seemed to be overwhelmed once he did feel the power & appeared to be in shock mode from that point on. The fight should have been a 1st KO as the ref did not do a good job when Cameron failed to put his gaurd up when it was asked of him after the 2nd KD.
Good showing by Tua, lets hope he can keep active & get fight againsts the guys mentioned like Arreola, Peter & for the sake of it even a Brewster, until then keep him away from the Klits & get some mandatories against them instead.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Oct 5 2009, 12:48 AM) *
wasnt jimmy thunder from new zealand?... or was it australia?...

Yeah Thunder was originally from NZ. What an embarassment!!
yuca
I saw the fight and he seems as good as in the past....Isn't John Ruiz crying somewhere for a fight? let him step in the ring again with Tua....
It would be too funny to see him in a stare down/up with Valuev...
BGv2.0
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Oct 5 2009, 01:04 AM) *
Yeah Thunder was originally from NZ. What an embarassment!!

Jimmy Thunder had a decent little career...for sure nothing to be embarassed about. He fought a decent amount of named opposition won a few of them. Has what has to be the fastest KO ever against Grimsley.....what was it 13 seconds with the 10 count? laugh.gif

He may not be the best or most rememebred NZ fighter....but any avid boxing/HW fan from the 1990's will always remember him.

QUOTE (yuca @ Oct 5 2009, 08:27 AM) *
I saw the fight and he seems as good as in the past....Isn't John Ruiz crying somewhere for a fight? let him step in the ring again with Tua....
It would be too funny to see him in a stare down/up with Valuev...

I myself have always thought that a Tua/Ruiz fight would be VERY different than their first outing. Most people think it would be another ugly KO win for Tua....I'm not so convinced. I think Ruiz would give him problems and could eek out a UD or SD.

As for Tua coming back. It would be great for the sport and for sure for the division....but he HAS to stop this inacitivy stuff if he is seriously going to come back and make an attempt at taking a title. He had his shot with LL, and looked AWFUL doing it......although I think LL is much better than either Klit on mutiple levels.....It's also been MANY years.....so it really levels things out.

With his inactivity and age being a huge factor....I can't see Wlad or Vitali /Tua being much different than Tua/Lewis. BUT....if he were to really come back...be active and get himself into prime shape with decent opp...and then really tried against one of the Klits...it could be an interesting matchup because you KNOW he would want to take more chances than he did with LL.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Oct 5 2009, 12:36 PM) *
Jimmy Thunder had a decent little career...for sure nothing to be embarassed about. He fought a decent amount of named opposition won a few of them. Has what has to be the fastest KO ever against Grimsley.....what was it 13 seconds with the 10 count? laugh.gif

He may not be the best or most rememebred NZ fighter....but any avid boxing/HW fan from the 1990's will always remember him.

I myself have always thought that a Tua/Ruiz fight would be VERY different than their first outing. Most people think it would be another ugly KO win for Tua....I'm not so convinced. I think Ruiz would give him problems and could eek out a UD or SD.

As for Tua coming back. It would be great for the sport and for sure for the division....but he HAS to stop this inacitivy stuff if he is seriously going to come back and make an attempt at taking a title. He had his shot with LL, and looked AWFUL doing it......although I think LL is much better than either Klit on mutiple levels.....It's also been MANY years.....so it really levels things out.

With his inactivity and age being a huge factor....I can't see Wlad or Vitali /Tua being much different than Tua/Lewis. BUT....if he were to really come back...be active and get himself into prime shape with decent opp...and then really tried against one of the Klits...it could be an interesting matchup because you KNOW he would want to take more chances than he did with LL.

BGv2.0,

There was this funny fight in Thunder's career when he decided to wear brand new boots for a big fight. It was an outdoor fight just coming in to summer in NZ. As the new boots were hurting what did the knucklehead do? Shoot he took them off and continued to fight barefoot!!

And then for his trouble got blisters off the canvas. Ha ha.

I know he went over to the States and had a decent journeyman type career but after you've seen him lose to a crusier like Johnny Nelson, well you've see enough really.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Oct 5 2009, 02:46 PM) *
BGv2.0,

There was this funny fight in Thunder's career when he decided to wear brand new boots for a big fight. It was an outdoor fight just coming in to summer in NZ. As the new boots were hurting what did the knucklehead do? Shoot he took them off and continued to fight barefoot!!

And then for his trouble got blisters off the canvas. Ha ha.

I know he went over to the States and had a decent journeyman type career but after you've seen him lose to a crusier like Johnny Nelson, well you've see enough really.

Well...I do give him credit though because he beat the likes of Tubbs, Berbeck and Witherspoon...even though they were all well past it. Lost to the likes of Ruiz, Byrd and and Barrett.

He did more than many boxers ever do.

I remember seeing him lose to a small African fighter on TNF's....I remember a friend of mine seeing me a few days later saying something about how pitiful it was that a tiny little guy like that kicked the shit out of some stout ass, built guy like Thunder.

If anything is worthy of note....that KO of Grimsley is it. I can NEVER get tired of watching it. I was lucky enough to record the entire broadcast at the time....so you have Crawford talking this massive shit about his strategy and how he is going to win....then you have the KO....when you watch it with a friend with the build up.....the look on thier faces is priceless....
rusty_trombone
Tua............................................................
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.