Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins fighting Ornelas on Dec. 2nd...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Warlord
...according to The Ring.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1188/hopkins_to...nelas_on_dec_2/

Thoughts?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Warlord @ Oct 9 2009, 12:54 AM) *

Easy win for B-Hop if he continues to fight the way he has been fighting lately..
EirbinX
i wonder wat weight this will be at?
EvanKorn
I think it will be a Light Heavy fight---- I don't think Hops will make it a 170 catch-weight, especially since having it at 175 would benefit him. Reports say it will be televised on VERSUS, which is a great way to get some of the more casual fans to watch.

Method
Seems pretty harmless...a Philly fighter, putting together an ALL-Philly fight card (Rock Allen, Karl Dargen), IN Philly, on FREE television, where the revenues are going to be donated to CHARITY.

iron_mike
I'll be there, my boy's cousin Danny Garcia is on the undercard
MarzB
Is it official yet? Smart move by Schaefer to put this on VS and smart move for Hopkins to also stay active prior to the Jones fight even at this stage of his career.
D-MARV
Nothing wrong with this... Nothing more than a tune up for Nard and if the proceeds go to charity... That's ALWAYS a good thing.
Big Slim Sweet
Man, FUCK charity. Fighters fight to get PAID.

laugh.gif

No, for real it sounds like a good deal all around.

Watch, Roy will get KO'd by Danny Green earlier in the day and fuck this all up.
Jack 1000
Watch, Roy will get KO'd by Danny Green earlier in the day and fuck this all up.

LOL!!!! That would be great!!!! Or even get fucked on a decision in Australia. I am surprised that Roy is fighting in hostile territory. Remember he said he would never do that. This is why he would not go to Germany to fight Darius.

Jack
JLUVBABY
i see this as a good "keep busy" fight for hopkins... top fighters should have more of these types of fights in between defenses etc televised on versus espn etc... it would even be nice to see these types of fights back on the big 3 networks... nbc, abc, cbs.... thats how stars are made...
MarzB
top fighters should have more of these types of fights in between defenses etc televised on versus espn etc..

It's a damn shame isn't it?? Here you have people who follow the sport but understand that this would not only help the sport (casual fans wise) but also the boxer in that he'll remain sharp. I mean nevermind this was the NORM in the 80's so it's been done before.

But fighters are too worried about "cuts" or things that could affect their guaranteed payday amongst other things.

Lets just hope this is a step in the right direction.. Like Hopkins doing this in Philly, maybe this will be a trend to get more fights outside of the usual "norm" cities also (one of my biggest angst).
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (MarzB @ Oct 9 2009, 12:58 PM) *
top fighters should have more of these types of fights in between defenses etc televised on versus espn etc..

It's a damn shame isn't it?? Here you have people who follow the sport but understand that this would not only help the sport (casual fans wise) but also the boxer in that he'll remain sharp. I mean nevermind this was the NORM in the 80's so it's been done before.

But fighters are too worried about "cuts" or things that could affect their guaranteed payday amongst other things.

Lets just hope this is a step in the right direction.. Like Hopkins doing this in Philly, maybe this will be a trend to get more fights outside of the usual "norm" cities also (one of my biggest angst).

worse yet these fighters worry bout losing their 0... it used to be said in the sport if you where undefeated you hadnt fought anybody... you're right and actually from the mid to early 90's there was still boxing on the big 3... 80's on back it was the norm... and you had very popular tv fighters that werent even champ... but they where also stars in the sport.. shamefull what greed has done to the sport..
Lil-lightsout
Yeah, it used to be nice before when fighters fought more often.Some fighters(Champs) would even fight non-title fights just for there fans and to stay sharp and make some money. Why does that not happen anymore?
kidbazooka1
Easy win for Hopkins he'll play with him for a couple rds then stop him around the 4th or 5th rd.
PR316
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 9 2009, 08:23 PM) *
Yeah, it used to be nice before when fighters fought more often.Some fighters(Champs) would even fight non-title fights just for there fans and to stay sharp and make some money. Why does that not happen anymore?

It was definitely different back then. We have to also remember that during the times fighters fought as often as 10 fights a year or whatever, the pay days were not nearly as big as they are today and title shots were harder to come by.

Because of all that, fighters back then were more willing to stay in shape in between fights and thus they were able to fight more often. Nowadays fighters let their weight get so out of control that their training camps are used to make the weight as opposed to using them to get sharp for the fight.

Fighters are too spoiled and given too much superstar treatment these days. Back then it wasn't that easy. Even Sugar Ray Robinson didn't get a shot at the welterweight title till he was about 25 or 26. Nowadays you got fighters like Victor Ortiz for instance who have big promotion behind them and aren't really proven but get the type of exposure that fighters who were working hard on the come up did not get even if they were the number 1 contender of their division.

But it goes both ways in a sense. While I would like to have 15 rounds and maybe do same day weigh ins, I'm glad that today 8 ounce gloves are used instead of 6 ounce(I think thats what the welterweights fought with back in the 40s for instance). And the refs are more on point about stopping a fight when necessary as opposed to letting a guy get his head taken off even if his hands were at his side.

Keith
The old man looks young.... again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.