Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: who is that dude that is always in the ring before every fight?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
pacco_diablo
There is a guy and his son (i think) who are in the ring before and after every fight. He's kind of light skinned, short cropped white hair, and his son is a little bit taller. Anyone have any idea who these people are and why there are always in the ring trying to be all up on TV all the time?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Oct 9 2009, 01:14 PM) *
There is a guy and his son (i think) who are in the ring before and after every fight. He's kind of light skinned, short cropped white hair, and his son is a little bit taller. Anyone have any idea who these people are and why there are always in the ring trying to be all up on TV all the time?

i want to say he is the son of merkerson.. i could be wrong though...
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Oct 9 2009, 02:18 PM) *
i want to say he is the son of merkerson.. i could be wrong though...

As in Roy Jones trainer Merkerson? That seems odd.
Snoop
Who's that guy that's always in the ring AFTER the fight? He looks like a skinny version of Winky Wright and is ALWAYS on a two-way pager.
MarzB
I've always thought that was Al Haymon but Hype corrected me that that wasn't Al.

The guy in question is Sam Watson

I edited this to add this great article sorta on this topic I read,lol

More Than Three Stooges Hog Ring Space:Clapper, Belt Carrier, Towel Guy, Mean Muggers Looking For Face Time On TV!

John Lepak
2/18/2008

Back by popular demand! The new and improved TOP 10 most meaningless pre-fight ring personalities!

Anytime this comical subject comes up, I can’t help but to remember some of most legendary entourages in boxing history. “Sugar” Ray Robinson is credited for being the originator of the entourage. Robinson traveled with a manicurist and golf pro among others.

I have to wonder if that manicurist had any other special professional traits.

How about the entourage of The Greatest Of All Time, Muhammad Ali. The stories from this cast of characters would make for the first ever billion-dollar reality television show by today’s standards! Ali had the “master motivator” Bundini Brown, “trainer” Angelo Dundee, “the fight doctor” Ferdie Pacheco, “the facilitator” Gene Kilroy, “the masseur” Luis Sarria, Howard Bingham “the photographer”, his brother Rahman Ali who The Champ once said “I give him $50,000. That aint bad for jivin’ & drivin’!”, “father and player” Cassius Clay Sr., “player” Lloyd Wells, and Youngblood.

Perhaps the biggest entourage of all time belonged to Detroit’s own, Thomas “Hit Man” Hearns. Emanuel Steward once told me that after the Hagler fight he was called down to the front desk at Cesars Palace only to find out there was a room service charge totaling over $300,000!

The streets of Detroit literally turned into a ghost down when Hearns fought in Vegas. It’s a Motor City tale that a lot of Detroit street money helped pave those parking lots at Caesars. Hearns’ entourage was always dressed in tuxedos complete with corsage. Another interesting tale from the Kronk was that Hearns’ legs were said to have been weakened by a member of the entourage who gave him a leg massage only minutes before the Hagler fight.

Fighters and their entourage go together like peanut butter and jelly. But I’m from the school when its fight time, the ring is for the place where only certain people belong. I have had conversations with Mike Tyson about how when it was an honor just to carry a bucket to the ring for fighters like Henry Armstrong and Joe Louis.

However, this Top 10 List goes out to those people who need to take a ringside seat and stay out of the way of the camera. This special list is a promoter’s headache. The people who feel the need to be in the ring before the fight and do nothing more than get in the way of ringside fans as well as the camera men. Now without further ado, the new and improved Top 10 Most Useless People in the ring before the opening bell:

10) “The Lawyer” The paperwork is done. Sit back and watch the fight from your seat!

9) “Promoter Entourage” Oh man is it getting bad! Now even promoters have their buddies up in the ring. Your job is to keep a clean ring, not add to the chaos!

8) “Strength Coach” Your job ended the last day in the gym. Make some room for the cutman, take a seat.

7) “The Advisor” This guy is a promoter and managers’ nightmare most of the time. Usually serves no purpose but to go against whatever the promoter is trying to convince the fighter to do. Now that it’s fight time, he needs to sit down at ringside. There is no more advising you can do. The trainer is the one and only advisor needed in the ring at this point!

6) “The Belt Carrier” I remember when fighters wore their belts into the ring. Now some apparently need someone to carry the belts into the ring for them.

5) “The Clapper” This guy claps so much he probably busts a blood vessel in his hands. He occasionally joins “The mean mugger”.

4) “The Mean Mugger”. You know this guy who stares harder at the other fighter than the boxer he is with. Take it easy tough guy, your not fighting tonight!

3) “Towel Guy” Once upon a time in boxing the trainer carried the towel into the ring. Somewhere along the line, this guy figured out the ultimate weasel move to look important and make it into the ring.

2) “Look at me, I’m on TV” guy. If you watch fights on TV, you know this guy. He is trying to look like he has a purpose in the ring as he sits on his cell phone trying to get into camera view. It reminds me of that “Can you hear me now” commercial from Verizon. Only this jack off should be on HBO’s intro as “Can you see me now?!”

AND THE NUMBER ONE MOST USELESS GUY IN THE RING BEFORE THE OPENING BELL……..

1) “I’m with him” guy. You know its getting out of hand when the entourage has an entourage!!!!!!!

Lil-lightsout
Very funny. laugh.gif And so true.
Col Reb
Chuck Zito comes to mind. Always funny to see him in the ring. I remember him most for doing an interview on Howard Stern's TV show about beating up Van Damme in a strip club. Howard even had a cartoon re-enactment of the incident as Chuck told the story...priceless!
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Oct 9 2009, 02:29 PM) *
Who's that guy that's always in the ring AFTER the fight? He looks like a skinny version of Winky Wright and is ALWAYS on a two-way pager.

Hahaaa. Yea that's one of them. He's the one I thought was the son. I assumed the older guy with white hair was his father, the one to the far right on MarzB photo.
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (MarzB @ Oct 9 2009, 02:47 PM) *
I've always thought that was Al Haymon but Hype corrected me that that wasn't Al.

The guy in question is Sam Watson

I edited this to add this great article sorta on this topic I read,lol

More Than Three Stooges Hog Ring Space:Clapper, Belt Carrier, Towel Guy, Mean Muggers Looking For Face Time On TV!

John Lepak
2/18/2008

Back by popular demand! The new and improved TOP 10 most meaningless pre-fight ring personalities!

Anytime this comical subject comes up, I can’t help but to remember some of most legendary entourages in boxing history. “Sugar” Ray Robinson is credited for being the originator of the entourage. Robinson traveled with a manicurist and golf pro among others.

I have to wonder if that manicurist had any other special professional traits.

How about the entourage of The Greatest Of All Time, Muhammad Ali. The stories from this cast of characters would make for the first ever billion-dollar reality television show by today’s standards! Ali had the “master motivator” Bundini Brown, “trainer” Angelo Dundee, “the fight doctor” Ferdie Pacheco, “the facilitator” Gene Kilroy, “the masseur” Luis Sarria, Howard Bingham “the photographer”, his brother Rahman Ali who The Champ once said “I give him $50,000. That aint bad for jivin’ & drivin’!”, “father and player” Cassius Clay Sr., “player” Lloyd Wells, and Youngblood.

Perhaps the biggest entourage of all time belonged to Detroit’s own, Thomas “Hit Man” Hearns. Emanuel Steward once told me that after the Hagler fight he was called down to the front desk at Cesars Palace only to find out there was a room service charge totaling over $300,000!

The streets of Detroit literally turned into a ghost down when Hearns fought in Vegas. It’s a Motor City tale that a lot of Detroit street money helped pave those parking lots at Caesars. Hearns’ entourage was always dressed in tuxedos complete with corsage. Another interesting tale from the Kronk was that Hearns’ legs were said to have been weakened by a member of the entourage who gave him a leg massage only minutes before the Hagler fight.

Fighters and their entourage go together like peanut butter and jelly. But I’m from the school when its fight time, the ring is for the place where only certain people belong. I have had conversations with Mike Tyson about how when it was an honor just to carry a bucket to the ring for fighters like Henry Armstrong and Joe Louis.

However, this Top 10 List goes out to those people who need to take a ringside seat and stay out of the way of the camera. This special list is a promoter’s headache. The people who feel the need to be in the ring before the fight and do nothing more than get in the way of ringside fans as well as the camera men. Now without further ado, the new and improved Top 10 Most Useless People in the ring before the opening bell:

10) “The Lawyer” The paperwork is done. Sit back and watch the fight from your seat!

9) “Promoter Entourage” Oh man is it getting bad! Now even promoters have their buddies up in the ring. Your job is to keep a clean ring, not add to the chaos!

8) “Strength Coach” Your job ended the last day in the gym. Make some room for the cutman, take a seat.

7) “The Advisor” This guy is a promoter and managers’ nightmare most of the time. Usually serves no purpose but to go against whatever the promoter is trying to convince the fighter to do. Now that it’s fight time, he needs to sit down at ringside. There is no more advising you can do. The trainer is the one and only advisor needed in the ring at this point!

6) “The Belt Carrier” I remember when fighters wore their belts into the ring. Now some apparently need someone to carry the belts into the ring for them.

5) “The Clapper” This guy claps so much he probably busts a blood vessel in his hands. He occasionally joins “The mean mugger”.

4) “The Mean Mugger”. You know this guy who stares harder at the other fighter than the boxer he is with. Take it easy tough guy, your not fighting tonight!

3) “Towel Guy” Once upon a time in boxing the trainer carried the towel into the ring. Somewhere along the line, this guy figured out the ultimate weasel move to look important and make it into the ring.

2) “Look at me, I’m on TV” guy. If you watch fights on TV, you know this guy. He is trying to look like he has a purpose in the ring as he sits on his cell phone trying to get into camera view. It reminds me of that “Can you hear me now” commercial from Verizon. Only this jack off should be on HBO’s intro as “Can you see me now?!”

AND THE NUMBER ONE MOST USELESS GUY IN THE RING BEFORE THE OPENING BELL……..

1) “I’m with him” guy. You know its getting out of hand when the entourage has an entourage!!!!!!!

#4 The Mean Mugger- hahahaha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.