Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barack Obama...
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Snoop
Thoughts?
rusty_trombone
big barry throwing down some nobel action
Douchebag
waits for some borderline racist comments from the usual suspects.
STEVENSKI
I have been so busy with work that I have not had time for news. What did he do to get the peace prize?
Keith
I dig Obama's message. I have since I first heard him. I campaigned for him, I voted for him.... but he has done nothing to deserve this prestigious award. The voting for the Nobel Peace Prize took place last February. He had been in office for a month. He himself said he didnt think he deserved it.
Spyder
I heard that he also won the Oscar for Best Cinematographer, Super Bowl MVP, and is the NEW Ace of Cakes.
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 10 2009, 12:53 AM) *
I have been so busy with work that I have not had time for news. What did he do to get the peace prize?

I think that's what most of the controversy is about. He hasn't really done anything to deserve it. Like someone else said, he himself said he doesn't deserve it. For me, I'm pretty hopeful with Obama in office, in fact, I don't think any US president in recent times has garnered such worldwide support as Obama has, but he hasn't done any real concrete change yet. I could see him possibly winning the prize a few years down the line should he succeed in his proposals, but to have it now, is just a bit confusing.
Byrd Man
I posted about this on my blog today ( www.searchingforchetbaker.com )

I think that it's interesting about the blowback that he's getting. Some things should be remembered.

1. Those who are attacking him, would attack him even if he didn't get it. If he didn't get it then they would mock him and talk about his bad week, losing the Olympics and the Nobel Peace Prize in one week.

2. These same people are the "patriotic" americans who took great pleasure and cheered when the US lost the Olympic bid and were eliminated in the 1st round of voting. They all cried out about how great it was and how the Europeans had rejected Obama. Now they're back to saying he's a "celebrity" and other bullshit.

3. These same people are also the ones who when Al Gore won they all ridiculed the Nobel Peace Prize, saying it was a worthless award, and that "anyone" could get it, blah blah blah. But as soon as Obama wins it and suddenly it devalues the NPP and all this other shit. If you don't view the NPP as anything worthy of attention, why does it bother you if Obama wins it?

4. And most importantly, Obama didn't campaign for this. He didn't ASK for this. And the prize money, he's donating to charity. And his critics are saying GIVE IT BACK?

These people are those who will attack him no matter what. If Bush had won they wouldn't have said shit, but Obama won and they've decided to attack him and try to fuck up his presidency. He's doing a great job of that all on his own, he doesn't need THEM to help.

scottmason1
[quote name='Byrd Man' date='Oct 10 2009, 06:49 AM' post='455077']
I posted about this on my blog today ( www.searchingforchetbaker.com )

I think that it's interesting about the blowback that he's getting. Some things should be remembered.

1. Those who are attacking him, would attack him even if he didn't get it. If he didn't get it then they would mock him and talk about his bad week, losing the Olympics and the Nobel Peace Prize in one week.>>>>>

Nobody would have attacked him for not getting the Nobel, because as has been pointed out, NOBODY expected him to get it in the first place. This isn't like the Olympics where he clearly made an effort to get the Olympics and it didn't happen. There wasn't a single person I'd heard even so much as mention his name as a candidate for the Nobel.

<<<<2. These same people are the "patriotic" americans who took great pleasure and cheered when the US lost the Olympic bid and were eliminated in the 1st round of voting. They all cried out about how great it was and how the Europeans had rejected Obama. Now they're back to saying he's a "celebrity" and other bullshit.>>>>

Personally, I was glad we didn't get the Olympics because I don't really dig the Olympics and they are typically a lot more trouble than they are worth in terms of security, etc...... I will admit to also getting a little chuckle out of the fact that Obama and Oprah both made special trips to lobby for the event and were still denied, showing there is always a limit to anybody's star power. However, the insinuation that anybody who didn't want the Olympics here is somehow unpatriotic is kind of funny, considering how upset some people got when that term was thrown at them over their opposition to the Iraq War. I was against the war, too, and did not appreciate having that term lobbed my way then, the same way I don't like it now.

<<<<3. These same people are also the ones who when Al Gore won they all ridiculed the Nobel Peace Prize, saying it was a worthless award, and that "anyone" could get it, blah blah blah. But as soon as Obama wins it and suddenly it devalues the NPP and all this other shit. If you don't view the NPP as anything worthy of attention, why does it bother you if Obama wins it?>>>>

I view the Nobel Prize the same way I view the Heisman trophy in that it is very rarely won by somebody who deserves it. You are right when you say it shouldn't bother anybody anymore simply because of what a joke the award has become, but I guess it can still get under people's skin when it is so blatantly ridiculous. An award that, very deservingly, once went to Mikhail Gorbachev for his dominant role in ending the cold war is now going to a guy who is getting ready to send 40,000 more troops to war.

<<<<4. And most importantly, Obama didn't campaign for this. He didn't ASK for this. And the prize money, he's donating to charity. And his critics are saying GIVE IT BACK?

These people are those who will attack him no matter what. If Bush had won they wouldn't have said shit, but Obama won and they've decided to attack him and try to fuck up his presidency. He's doing a great job of that all on his own, he doesn't need THEM to help.>>>>

You're completely missing the point here. This has nothing to do with whether Obama asked for this, or whether he's giving the money to charity, or whether his detractors would've complained if Bush had ever won. The issue is, as Snoopick pointed out in a previous post, that he has done nothing yet to deserve being given the award. Hell, look at the timeline, they voted on this eleven days into his Presidency. Now, is it possibe he may accomplish some things during his term that WOULD make him worthy of the award? Sure. But as of now, that has not happened. I suspect, quite frankly, that he was given the award based on two factors: Hope that he will do great things and major distaste for our former President. Now, while having hope is a good thing, it should not be be a sufficient substitute for actual accomplishment when it comes to wining the Nobel Peace Prize.

To use a football analogy, Obama getting this award after eleven days in office is like if Mark Sanchez got voted into the 2010 Pro Bowl after his first week of training camp. Sure, Sanchez may end up being worthy of the Pro Bowl selection when all is said and done, but I think it would make more sense to wait and see how he plays throughout the course of the season before we were to make that judgment.

-SM
Spyder
Barrack Obama is the new front runner for the Heisman Trophy.
Method
Scott Mason...you hit it all on the head.

And what of Mssr. Nobel? They named a peace prize for a man who made his bones with explosives.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.