Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPV @8PM CST:Juan Manuel Lopez vs Rogers Mtagwa
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
PR316
Saturday night...

I think Juanma is the goods but I do agree that he's still got a long way to go before being considered a pound 4 pound best. That said I think he has it all. He can fight inside, box from long range, he can counter punch, keeps a nice tight guard to prevent shots from coming in, and he has fast hands to go along with the punching power. Seems to have excellent stamina based on the workrate he piled up in his last 2 fights that went 9 rounds, especially the Peņalosa fight. Remains to be seen how he reacts when caught by a big hitter(Caballero or Gamboa may find out) but I think he's a very good young champion with potential to be great. And he's from Caguas, my hometown in Puerto Rico so I gotta rep the connection. lol

Gamboa is on the card as well and Top Rank seems intent on building up a showdown for him and Lopez eventually.

Word is Celestino Caballero will be in the house to be ringside for Juanma's fight.
Lil-lightsout
I am actually excited for Mtagwa to get a shot, he has been around for a long time now. He will fight anyone and I hope he makes a good effort for himself. I love JML too, he is so awesome in so many ways. I especially love the fact he seems to keeping himself busy in the ring. Wish more fighters would be like him.

Maybe Cabellero will come in the ring after the fight and challenge JML to a fight(as long as he wins)?
PR316
Word is that January 23 of 2010 is open and Team Lopez has said that Caballero is a strong possibility for that date. The fight would take place in Puerto Rico.

Legitimate grudge match. It will be a war between Lopez and Caballero.
kidbazooka1
Im big on Juanma aswell the guy is my current favorite fighter I actually see him making quick work of Mtagwa. As for Cabballero I think Juanma would blow him away Caballero has been doing alot of talking i don't blame him he wants to get paid but JuanMa will put it on his ass same goes for Gamboa once Juanma touches that chin Gamboa will crumble.

In two or three years I see Juanma as the p4p king the kid can do it all as long as he stays grounded sky is the limit for him.

PR316
The thing about Caballero is that although he is lanky and awkward, he's also SLOPPY... Sloppy with his punches(Can't throw a straight right properly) and sloppy on defense. He's also been on the canvas a few times my understanding is and I saw him struggle against Ponce De Leon for 12 rounds(Getting badly hurt in the 12th round of that fight) while Lopez got rid of De Leon in 1 round. Styles make fights for sure. And while I see Caballero giving Lopez some trouble early, I think he'll take a brutal beating and he will not see the 8th round.

Gamboa is a huge hitter and he's got confidence but he lacks defense and his chin is question mark. At this point Lopez wouldn't have too much of a problem with him. Gamboa needs more seasoning.
JLUVBABY

nuff said.... lol... i'd like to see juanma vs. gamboa...
thefloatingmonkey
Gamboa will get smoked if he steps into the ring with Lopez.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (thefloatingmonkey @ Oct 9 2009, 06:56 PM) *
Gamboa will get smoked if he steps into the ring with Lopez.

may be true but its still a fight that needs to happen... it would be explosive...
kidbazooka1
Lopez has brutal power to the point where opponents are intimidated before the bell rings. Gamboa has speed and skills to give Juanma some fits but when Juanma lands clean it's pretty much over with.
gbh32001
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 10 2009, 12:22 PM) *
Lopez has brutal power to the point where opponents are intimidated before the bell rings. Gamboa has speed and skills to give Juanma some fits but when Juanma lands clean it's pretty much over with.
Gamboa will win if he follow the footstep of Guzrun, Calderun and Mayrunner. Easy win, no bruises...
provo
JML is good I like him ,I also like Gamboa 2 young beast ,if they fight now I think gamboa gets slept though with a devastating right hand to the chin , I say in about 2 years with gamboa working on defense this would be a fukin WAR!
Matagwa is going 2 get his ass kicked! So will caballero '2 knockouts to add the JML record...
Douchebag
I like JUANMA and Gamboa but I aint paying 50 bucks to see them fight so so comp.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Anybody else watching these fights? Wolak and this other dude are having a decent scrap, wolak is wearing him down. I'm in chat, I have a stream if you want it. Dont know how long Ill be watching though.
Douchebag
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Oct 10 2009, 09:26 PM) *
Anybody else watching these fights? Wolak and this other dude are having a decent scrap, wolak is wearing him down. I'm in chat, I have a stream if you want it. Dont know how long Ill be watching though.

Let me get that stream, homie. Preciate it.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Check ya PM conscience. Monte Barrett is really washed up, he didn't look good at all. He got whacked good with a left hook and just never recovered. He got stopped shortly there after. Barrett's jab looked good in the first, but he wasn't getting off with power shots and Solis just walked right through him. Barrett's career got a revival after knocking Tye Fields out, but he couldn't really make anything out of it. At least he got a couple more paydays, but he really should retire. I thought he would beat Solis, since I saw Solis and he really didn't look good. Oh well, Solis would have gotten beat by Kevin Johnson.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Oct 10 2009, 06:59 AM) *
Gamboa will win if he follow the footstep of Guzrun, Calderun and Mayrunner. Easy win, no bruises...

But Gamboa ain't that kind of fighter he likes to mix it up and mixing it up with Lopez will get him KTFO.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
That KO was sick. That right hand really fucked Garcia up, and he never recovered. Gamboa looked really good tonight, and he seemed to be in better control than his previous fights. Garcia caught him with some decent counters in the 3rd round, but Gamboa really took care of business in the 4th. Good performance by him. That right hand can knock anybody out, including Lopez. I think Lopez beats him right now, but Gamboa is turning into a damn good fighter.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Oct 10 2009, 10:22 PM) *
That KO was sick. That right hand really fucked Garcia up, and he never recovered. Gamboa looked really good tonight, and he seemed to be in better control than his previous fights. Garcia caught him with some decent counters in the 3rd round, but Gamboa really took care of business in the 4th. Good performance by him. That right hand can knock anybody out, including Lopez. I think Lopez beats him right now, but Gamboa is turning into a damn good fighter.

I like Gamboa too he has great speed and good power but i just feel that he's too reckless to beat someone like Lopez right now.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 10 2009, 10:52 PM) *
I like Gamboa too he has great speed and good power but i just feel that he's too reckless to beat someone like Lopez right now.

Man Lopez seemed plenty reckless tonight as well.
PR316
Juanma didn't fight a smart fight. Alot of what happened to him was self imposed.
BigG
Juan Manuel Lopez won the fight for sure, IMO. But he was OUT in those last two rounds. He didn't look too good in this fight but like a Champion he fought until the end and retained his belt.
PR316
I still think Lopez has potential to be great but there is definitely some work to be done. He was too sloppy alot of times and unneccessarily trading against a guy who's only chance was to win by KO. Too reckless for sure but he seems to take a pretty good shot.
kidbazooka1
Damn Lopez almost got stopped by Matgawa i can't f*Cking believe this you read my last post i was just praising Lopez as the future p4p king I don't know what the f*Ck happened. I gotta give big props to Matagwa because he showed an iron chin by taking the kinda bombs Lopez landed but that 12th rd was all Matgawa.

Even though Lopez won he looked like sh*t against a fighter who many including myself felt was not on his level but i guess thats what happens you underestimate someone all of a sudden he becomes your toughest opponent.

I agree Lopez won the fight no doubt but it was too close all of a sudden Caballero looks like a tougher fight.

What i did like about Lopez was that he said he wants the big names like Vasquez and Marquez now but if he ever gets hurts against those guys he won't make it out so he might wanna go back and work on a few things first.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 10 2009, 11:44 PM) *
Man Lopez seemed plenty reckless tonight as well.

Yes he looked really sloppy tonight but I believe Lopez just underestimated Matgawa big time and just didn't prepare mentally for what was in store for him tonight. But atleast he got the win and i still see him beating Gambo and Caballero.
PR316
Juanma's young. What we have to hope is that this turns out for him like Cotto's fight with N'Dou did in which Miguel did learn from it. Hopefully Lopez learns that you can't just look for the KO everytime. You have to let the knockout come. There are guys that can take your shot.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (PR316 @ Oct 11 2009, 12:04 AM) *
Juanma's young. What we have to hope is that this turns out for him like Cotto's fight with N'Dou did in which Miguel did learn from it. Hopefully Lopez learns that you can't just look for the KO everytime. You have to let the knockout come. There are guys that can take your shot.

I agree i think Lopez fell in love with his power and he should have used his jab more. I still believe he has awesome power but there are just some guys that won't go and Matgawa was one of those guys.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I actually didn't see the main event, I lost the stream right before. Heard it was a really good fight though, and that JuanMa showed some major heart. People underestimate Mtagwa though, dude ain't no joke. He ALWAYS comes to fight and will give his all. Plus, he moves his hands a lot. I kinda thought Lopez may have a few problems with him. Being that Penalosa was able to land clean hooks on him easily I knew he was there to be hit. I hope Mtagwa gets another big fight out of this because if there's somebody who deserves it, it's him. Who wouldn't want to watch him fight? Every fight he's in is a war, and he always brings it. That's the type of fight though that Lopez needs. He's gotten used to blowing top fighters out of there, and now he knows what it's like to be in with someone who won't go away and lets there hands go. Can't wait to see Lopez-Caballero, that will be interesting.
frankypc
In my humble opinion the spotlight got into Juanmas head, main event in msg in front of "boricuas" he got a big head and tried to knock out Mtawa and was too stubborn to accept that he could not, maybe if he went to the body early he could have, but he head hunted too damm much, dint use his jab and in some points looked plain amateurish, i dont know where was his damm corner either, they should be fired. What saved him was his conditioning, thats it. I hope he learns from his stupidity.
kidbazooka1
Had JuanMa fought the way he fought Penalosa going to the body and head i think he would have stopped Mtagwa.
frankypc
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 11 2009, 05:30 PM) *
Had JuanMa fought the way he fought Penalosa going to the body and head i think he would have stopped Mtagwa.

Agreed, i dont know what he or his corner were thinking with all that head-hunting.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 10 2009, 09:52 PM) *

i give gamboa a very good shot against juanma... if you are as good as your last fight gamboa is more than a live underdog if they lock up... id like to see the fight next... dont look like gamboa is in juanma imediate future right now...
D-MARV
I still favor Lopez over Gamboa.

I think last night was a "good thing" for Lopez.
PR316
They should make Lopez vs Caballero at 126 as an introduction fight for Juanma to the division to build up his name a bit more and give him a chance to shine.

Lopez was just way too gung ho. His corner deserves some blame for that too. They should have settled him down to box a smart fight instead of having him go for the KO every single second of the fight.

I truly feel this is a one off, though. I think Juanma will bounce back and learn from this. He has to if he's going to fulfill his potential.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Oct 11 2009, 06:09 PM) *
I still favor Lopez over Gamboa.

I think last night was a "good thing" for Lopez.

i'd like to know for sure... its a good fight that can be made and gamboa has thrown out the gauntlet...
gamboa issues challenge to juanma
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I read that Lopez is getting an HBO date in Jan. I say give Mtagwa a rematch. It was a great fight I've heard, and I think that's a fight HBO viewers would want to watch. I know it will never happen, but I think it'd be a good rematch. I'd take Gamboa by KO over Lopez right now. I like Lopez a lot, but I don't see him taking one of those huge right hands from Gamboa. Plus, Gamboa could match speed with Lopez right now and take his shots. Be one hell of a fight though.
frankypc
I dont know, Gamboa has been knocked down a few times and i think Lopez has as much power as anyone who has dropped him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.