Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto Spar Mate Sent Home...Why?... (1 Topic Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
dominicbuilder9k1
What's up in Cotto's camp...accordingly they sent home Miguel Cotto's sparring partner after Arum visited his camp....Do they need a better spar mate that can imitate Pacquiao's move?... Wanted a Pacquiao Move- alike sparring partner?...Or maybe they got what it takes for Cotto to KNOCK OUT Manny...?...
Douchebag
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Oct 14 2009, 01:56 AM) *
What's up in Cotto's camp...accordingly they sent home Miguel Cotto's sparring partner after Arum visited his camp....Do they need a better spar mate that can imitate Pacquiao's move?... Wanted a Pacquiao Move- alike sparring partner?...Or maybe they got what it takes for Cotto to KNOCK OUT Manny...?...

wasn't he sparring with Gato Figueroa?
Method
...Or maybe Cotto was getting his ass kicked ala Oscar De La Hoya prepping for Manny?

...and I am NOT making that comment to incite any heated debates. I am rooting for Cotto, and, up until I read this, felt pretty good about his chances, but, unlike you, Conscience, when I read that blurb, I took it more along the lines of Gato was gving Cotto all kinds of problems rather than not being up to par.

Consider Arum's first comments? "Miguel's got a lot of work to do, which is good...".

But he's been in camp for a while now, no? Regardless, like you, I'm interested in what's up here. Cotto needs more than 1-2 sparring partners anyway.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 14 2009, 07:23 AM) *
...Or maybe Cotto was getting his ass kicked ala Oscar De La Hoya prepping for Manny?

...and I am NOT making that comment to incite any heated debates. I am rooting for Cotto, and, up until I read this, felt pretty good about his chances, but, unlike you, Conscience, when I read that blurb, I took it more along the lines of Gato was gving Cotto all kinds of problems rather than not being up to par.

Consider Arum's first comments? "Miguel's got a lot of work to do, which is good...".

But he's been in camp for a while now, no? Regardless, like you, I'm interested in what's up here. Cotto needs more than 1-2 sparring partners anyway.

I really don't know what to make of it. He could very well have been giving Cotto the business in sparring but we don't know (and if Cotto was getting handled by Gato he is in Trouble). I have Gato as friend on face book and from all the updates he has been putting he was saying that Cotto was doing good in his sparring sessions............again I don't know but I am definitely interested finding out why Arum got rid of his sparring partner.
torvix2000
Those who have sig bets on Pacquiao should be ashamed of themselves. Cotto is shot. This is another mismatch in the making.
gbh32001
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Oct 14 2009, 07:48 PM) *
Those who have sig bets on Pacquiao should be ashamed of themselves. Cotto is shot. This is another mismatch in the making.
Are you serious?or just being sarcastic? All of a sudden Cotto become a shot fighter?Only Pacquiao hater says that Cotto is shot. Well, the moment of truth ticking fast for Cotto...
torvix2000
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Oct 14 2009, 12:14 PM) *
Are you serious?or just being sarcastic? All of a sudden Cotto become a shot fighter? Only Pacquiao hater says that Cotto is shot. Well, the moment of truth ticking fast for Cotto...

Nope. Some call me a Pac nuthugger. But Cotto, really, is shot.
Douchebag
I was reading Gato's updates and apparently it the problem was with Cotto himself and nothing to do with Bob Arum. Gato isn't really getting into the details of what the problem is but it is getting interesting.
1zz
Not a big deal,Cotto is going to easily KO Pac.
D-MARV
hmmmm... Sounds like Cotto was getting that ass tapped.
singletrack
I don't see how you can draw any conclusions from this personally.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Oct 14 2009, 06:48 AM) *

i missed that thread but id be willing to go in with a sig. bet... i think cotto whipes the floor with pac... cotto is not a shot fighter...
Douchebag
QUOTE (singletrack @ Oct 14 2009, 12:21 PM) *
I don't see how you can draw any conclusions from this personally.

i'm with you here, but it does raise questions. Cotto would have be shot to be getting handled by Gato. This is the same Gato that got his clock cleaned by Randal Bailey on FNF.
maelstrom
Arum sent the guy home because he was most likely kicking Cotto's ass.
Yucayeke
Or on the flip side, could've been that Gato was not doing enough to train Cotto for Manny. Either way I am also interested in finding out what the scoop is. FWIW my money is on Cotto and something makes me think it wont be all that difficult.. But then again wtf do I know, I am not the one in the ring so we will see. Great fight though, none of thew gayweather pitty patty bullshit on this one
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Oct 14 2009, 12:10 AM) *

They SENT HOME GATO!...
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (Yucayeke @ Oct 14 2009, 01:12 PM) *
Or on the flip side, could've been that Gato was not doing enough to train Cotto for Manny. Either way I am also interested in finding out what the scoop is. FWIW my money is on Cotto and something makes me think it wont be all that difficult.. But then again wtf do I know, I am not the one in the ring so we will see. Great fight though, none of thew gayweather pitty patty bullshit on this one

This is the most logical reason i can think as of now, I agree,...maybe Gato is not doing well enough to the satisfaction of Cotto's camp....otherwise,...why would they sent him home?...man,...I pick Cotto to Knock Pacquiao out!...Cotto need the most near-to-Pacquiao sparmates NOW!...
JD
Usually if they send sparring partners home for not doing enough it isn't newsworthy.

No need to kill any other potential opportunities to make a couple dollars. It becomes worth noting, and news, when the sparring partner is suddenly making the fighter they are there to spar with look like the sparring partner.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Oct 14 2009, 12:10 AM) *

Latest news says Gato Figueroa himself did not know why he was sent home... he said he was doing pretty good in giving Cotto ala Pacquiao moves!...Gato is himself at a loss not knowing the reason why he was discarded...i just hope this will not make him discourage as a boxer...hahaha...
The CEO
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Oct 14 2009, 01:27 PM) *
i missed that thread but id be willing to go in with a sig. bet... i think cotto whipes the floor with pac... cotto is not a shot fighter...

You didn't miss it...you're listed as a Cotto backer "Available For Bets"....

QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 14 2009, 05:47 PM) *
You should be ashamed of yourself for speaking so confidently and still being cowardly for ducking in a sig bet.

I wonder if I'd get in trouble if I changed his username to "Cervix2000"?...lol

Still can't believe how he ducked you....

Anyway....I normally don't let vague sparring news or rumors phase my picks...and won't here as well....Cotto TKO Middle Rounds Pacquiao.
dominicbuilder9k1
I stand corrected... Cotto did not say the word "Veteran tactics"... it was the writer of the article Mr. Ben Thompson who said....others may consider dirty tactics as a mere "Veteran Tricks"...hehehe... I want a clean win by Cotto by KNOCK OUT,..without low blows so nobody can say he is dirty....
torvix2000
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 14 2009, 09:47 PM) *
You should be ashamed of yourself for speaking so confidently and still being cowardly for ducking in a sig bet.

I'm not a coward since I'm gonna bet on Pac against Floyd. I just hope that Gayweather will have the balls after Pac wipes the floor with Cotto.
Warlord
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Oct 15 2009, 07:23 AM) *
I'm not a coward since I'm gonna bet on Pac against Floyd. I just hope that Gayweather will have the balls after Pac wipes the floor with Cotto.

So you'll bet on Pac/Gayweather, but not Pac/Cotto?
Lil-lightsout

Then make the bet.
Lil-lightsout

singletrack

My official prediction for Mayweather v Pacman is Mayweather by buttsexing.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Warlord @ Oct 15 2009, 12:30 PM) *
So you'll bet on Pac/Gayweather, but not Pac/Cotto?

Yup. Because Pac/Cotto is a mismatch. Against Gayweather, Pacquiao has a 40% of losing.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 15 2009, 10:53 PM) *
Is that official? I'm happy to ignore this fight as I think it's a pick 'em, I was only doing it to be a sport. But if you want to skip this one, and just go for a sig/av bet for Pacquiao-Mayweather, you are on. Can we make this official?

LOL! It's not a pick em. It's a mismatch. Cotto is shot. I don't want to do what Gayweather is doing - fighting only fighters who has 100% chance of losing.

CEO can book this one. Just not above 147.

Torvix (Pacquiao) vs Fitz (Mayweather) at welterweight division.
maelstrom
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Oct 15 2009, 06:23 AM) *

Fanny Pac didn't have the balls to fight anybody worthwhile at 135 but the dreaded David Diaz..lol.

He was too cowardly to settle the score with JMM.

Fought a shot Hatton and washed-up Oscar.

If anybody lacks balls it's lil Fanny.
maelstrom
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Oct 16 2009, 07:58 AM) *
LOL! It's not a pick em. It's a mismatch. Cotto is shot. I don't want to do what Gayweather is doing - fighting only fighters who has 100% chance of losing.

CEO can book this one. Just not above 147.

Torvix (Pacquiao) vs Fitz (Mayweather) at welterweight division.

That's all Fanny Pac every does is fight guys that only have a 100% chance of losing..that's why the little Filipino Fraud is fighting Cotto isnstead of Shane Mosley.
jlupi
Randy gordon said he heard that Gato Figueroa was sent packing for roughing up cotto I believe before the story broke.
thehype
QUOTE (jlupi @ Oct 16 2009, 03:38 PM) *
Randy gordon said he heard that Gato Figueroa was sent packing for roughing up cotto I believe before the story broke.

Before the story broke? And hear I thought I was the one breaking the story right as it was happening.

laugh.gif

Regardless, Randy Gordon heard wrong. That's not the reason why Gato was sent home.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 16 2009, 10:11 PM) *
That's not the reason why Gato was sent home.

Well.....????
JaRaNDa
I'm under the impression Cotto's sparring partner was sent home because he was trying to mimick the style of Pac which the team did not like at all. dntknw.gif
Hope that is the case as I'd hate to think Cotto was being busted up in training.
dominicbuilder9k1
Just recently many were surprised why Gato, the supposedly "Pacquiao mimic" sparmate of Cotto was send home...and it was Gato himself who responded not knowing why he was sent home...There were not much of a controversy in the Camp of Cotto as compared to Manny's camp though...

Reports coming from Baguio have given fans reason to be relieved this week as Pacquiao bloodied and dominated new sparring partner Jose Luis Castillo, whom a lot of people believe beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. when they initially squared off in the ring.

And recently, the first knockdowns of Pacquiao's current camp were logged-in Thursday as the Pac Man twice floored the much bigger and stronger, undefeated 154-pound former Golden Gloves champ from Ohio, Shawn Porter.

But I guess a week in Pacland without drama is like a week for a Filipino with no rice- It's just part of the diet. And the most recent drama comes from a consistent source in Pacquiao's adviser Michael Koncz. This time around, a rather lower-key member of Pacquiao's crew, strength coach Alex Ariza participated in the Team Pacquiao "tele-novela" as BoxingScene's Ronnie Nathanielsz reported that Ariza "beat up" Koncz in an altercation that involved Koncz's meddling with fight credential assignments. It was said that Koncz was trying to take over Ariza's spot in Pacquiao's corner come fight night. The other two people that have been in Pacquiao's corner are trainers Freddie Roach and Buboy Fernandez.

It was Ariza who revealed that Koncz intentionally did not reserved a room for Roach when he arrived in Baguio...while at the same time maneuvering Pacquiao to stop the services of Roach... Pacquiao and Cotto's camp may have their own individual issues, The Big Drama will be revealed on Nov. 14... but then again, will these affects their performance?...
streetlion1
Interview with Gato...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpnqNcFqfHc
frankypc
Today Oct 23 they have an interview with Cotto in www.endi.com and this is what he had to say about Gato

“Estuvo un tiempo pero no efectuó el trabajo como se trabaja en este grupo. Aquí se trabaja seriamente, no se viene a payasear sobre el ring ni a mofarse. Los ‘sparring partners’ están para ayudarnos y hacernos trabajar, no para pasarla bien, bajar las manos y hacer gracia de sus habilidades. Hay dos clases de boxeadores, los que se crecen en los guanteos y los que se crecen en las peleas. Y ‘El Gato’ es de los que le gusta crecerse en los guanteos”.

"He was here a bit but dint do the work like we do it in this team. We work seriously, we don't come here to clown around and/or make fun of others. Sparring partners are here to help us and make us work, they don't come here to have a good time and or to show off their moves. There are two kinds of fighters those who show what they are made of in sparring and others who do it where it matter in the ring. El Gato belongs to the first kind."

http://www.elnuevodia.com/cottonoletemeafr...ach-629595.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.