Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik-Williams Cancelled. (1 Topic Merged Here)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thisneverworks
Could it be?

http://www.wytv.com/content/news/local/sto...8oayqbfVkA.cspx
Box in Hand
By Mark Vester

According to the Youngstown Vindicator , WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik is unable to move forward with his December 5 clash with Paul Williams. The fight was previously scheduled for October, and postponed due to a staph infection suffered by Pavlik and later rescheduled for the December date. Pavlik's trainer Jack Loew says the staph infection has not gone away as expected and his fighter is unable to close his left hand.

"He's trying," said Loew. "He's been running, he's been trying to train in the gym. He's trying to shadow box with one hand, hit the speed bag with one hand. ... I've been trying to keep it a secret but it's not going great and I'm not going to fool anybody any longer."

They are trying to reschedule the fight for January 23 but Williams' side may not accept another postponement.

Hey Mods, maybe this post should be cancelled since it has already been posted!
singletrack
QUOTE (thisneverworks @ Oct 21 2009, 02:32 PM) *

"This <pause> SUCKS."

-Larry Merchant
thisneverworks
What did Hopkins put a hex on this guy?
The Original MrFactor
Yup, its true. I know staph infections take a long time to heal. My question is, WHY DO THEY KEEP SCHEDULING FIGHTS FOR THIS GUY IF HE's NOT WELL?!?!?! A staph infection is a pretty serious thing and could involve amputation and all. I hope the guy gets better.

On the flip side, that make Williams as an available opponent at 147 for Money "Unbeatable" Mayweather. I know its a long shot that the fight happens, but we can dream cant we? All in all, I still hope Williams gets a fight for December. The guy has all world talent and potential.
AussieLad
PBF vs Williams.... thats a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG shot
Lil-lightsout
Really sucks for PW,Pavlik, and the fans. Hopefully Paul can line a fight up in place of Kelly. Let's just hope Pac-Cotto does not fall through.
caneman
Yea don't we wish PBF had the balls to fight PWill...he won't fight Mosley, let alone PWill! I know, I am such a hater huh? I rather he prove me wrong though!
Fitz
I feel sorry for Williams. Pavlik is just being his garbage self as usual.
JD
I like a Williams - Martinez fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Oct 21 2009, 06:06 PM) *
I like a Williams - Martinez fight.

That would be a tricky fight.
Fitz
This really pisses me off. I was looking forward to this fight. They say Pavlik hasn't been able to close his hand, why schedule a fight when you can't close your hand and train? This guy isn't a professional, he has wasted Williams time and everyone else's time. This is the second time now, Williams could have had a fight by now. Moron.
kidbazooka1
Pavlik saved his own ass from a beatdown.

I think Williams/Martinez is a more competitve fight given Martinez style.
D-MARV
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 21 2009, 08:15 PM) *

Yep...

Williams was "fittin" to wax that ass and Pavlik backed out, yet again. Martinez poses a much tougher task in my opinion. PWill's team has already been in contact with Team Martinez, so it looks like Williams isn't going to sit around and wait for Pavlik. Props to Martinez for stepping up.
lloyd mayflower
Pavlik cant fight, Abraham has stepped up to 168, anyone still want to tell me that 168 is the joke division? What the fuck is there at MW? Give me the super six any day of the week
Fitz
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Oct 22 2009, 12:31 PM) *
Pavlik cant fight, Abraham has stepped up to 168, anyone still want to tell me that 168 is the joke division? What the fuck is there at MW? Give me the super six any day of the week

Exactly man. I said the same thing a few days ago when people were saying 168 sucks, it's still a better division than middle, light heavy and cruiser.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 21 2009, 11:03 PM) *

I sense a disturbance in the force young Fitz.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2009, 01:07 AM) *
This really pisses me off. I was looking forward to this fight. They say Pavlik hasn't been able to close his hand, why schedule a fight when you can't close your hand and train? This guy isn't a professional, he has wasted Williams time and everyone else's time. This is the second time now, Williams could have had a fight by now. Moron.

Good good. Now let your hate destroy Pavlik & take your place at my side. We can rule the galaxy through hate alone. Hate & a lot of dead Ewoks anyway.
Fitz
laugh.gif

It's hard not to learn the way of life with people like yourself, the chief and then the C.E.O. I'm learning laugh.gif
BigG
Williams will beat the shit out of Martinez if they fight. IMO, Martinez is one of the most overrated fighters today.
Byrd Man
I read somewhere else that Paul Williams was going to challenge Sergio Martinez. I remember where I heard it first. lol
Fitz
I should probably download fights of Martinez and watch him. I don't know anything about him, though I have heard good things about him, so I will have to see if I agree with biggeorge or JD and I think Stylez, lol.
STEVENSKI
Lets not get carried away here Williams would get whipped by Sergio Fucking Mora.
BigG
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2009, 04:13 AM) *
I should probably download fights of Martinez and watch him. I don't know anything about him, though I have heard good things about him, so I will have to see if I agree with biggeorge or JD and I think Stylez, lol.

He's good but not elite.
The CEO
Sergio Martinez has turned into a legitimate badass....he's one of my favorite, lesser known fighters.....his biggest problem is that he's gettin' old...
MarzB
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 21 2009, 05:03 PM) *

I'm not even a Pavlik fan (since you have to say that here or else you'll be labled a "nutrider" if you speak on behalf of ANYONE, isn't that right??) but do you realize how serious a staph infection is or are you just being a typical uninformed fan?? GROW up for a change.

Do you realize people actually DIE from these because they're often misdiagnosed?? Like your selfish self",I wanted to see this fight also but if this hasn't healed, then Pavlik need to forget boxing and worry about this first and foremost.

For those that care to be informed about staph infections take a look at this article or go to youtube and just google "staph infections"

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1853828,00.html

But after all those people are just being their "garbage selves"
STEVENSKI
Staph is a real bastard indeed. It can go away & out of nowhere pop up again. Marz is right it can be a killer.
dominicbuilder9k1
If the reason(s) is true the best option is not to go with the fight... I first thought maybe Kelly chickens out...but then again the report is believable... How about a Mayweather Jr Vs. Williams?...is this possible?...
Fitz
QUOTE (MarzB @ Oct 22 2009, 04:06 PM) *
I'm not even a Pavlik fan (since you have to say that here or else you'll be labled a "nutrider" if you speak on behalf of ANYONE, isn't that right??) but do you realize how serious a staph infection is or are you just being a typical uninformed fan?? GROW up for a change.

Do you realize people actually DIE from these because they're often misdiagnosed?? Like your selfish self",I wanted to see this fight also but if this hasn't healed, then Pavlik need to forget boxing and worry about this first and foremost.

For those that care to be informed about staph infections take a look at this article or go to youtube and just google "staph infections"

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1853828,00.html

But after all those people are just being their "garbage selves"

I don't give a shit. I know it's serious. He is being his garbage self because he schedules a fight when it isn't even healed. They even said he hasn't been able to close his hand. Wouldn't you schedule a fight when you are fully fit.

"Hey look everyone, I had a brain tumour and had to get it removed. It's a very serious issue and I can die from it. I'm sorry, I pulled out of a fight in October because I was diagnosed with cancer. It's now been removed. I haven't been able to train properly at all, and I am still feeling the side effects, but what if we schedule it for December?"

Do you see what I am saying about him being his garbage self? He is being very selfish and just thinking about himself. He has a serious condition that he needs to take care of, and what does he do? He schedules another fight when he was never ever fit, or even able to close his hands in training. He wasted Williams time and everybody elses. How would you feel if you were out of work because someone irresponsibly agreed to something when they are not even in the right condition to follow through and put you out for about 3-4 months?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2009, 02:59 AM) *
I don't give a shit. I know it's serious. He is being his garbage self because he schedules a fight when it isn't even healed. They even said he hasn't been able to close his hand. Wouldn't you schedule a fight when you are fully fit.

"Hey look everyone, I had a brain tumour and had to get it removed. It's a very serious issue and I can die from it. I'm sorry, I pulled out of a fight in October because I was diagnosed with cancer. It's now been removed. I haven't been able to train properly at all, and I am still feeling the side effects, but what if we schedule it for December?"

Do you see what I am saying about him being his garbage self? He is being very selfish and just thinking about himself. He has a serious condition that he needs to take care of, and what does he do? He schedules another fight when he was never ever fit, or even able to close his hands in training. He wasted Williams time and everybody elses. How would you feel if you were out of work because someone irresponsibly agreed to something when they are not even in the right condition to follow through and put you out for about 3-4 months?

Good points man..I think Pavlik owes Williams money if Williams doesn't find a replacement..Actually Pavlik should give him money either way..He has a serious condition but he signed a contract..If I couldn't close my hand,I wouldn't even be thinking about my next fight..How could anyone??
D-MARV
I'm not mad at Pavlik for pulling out, I'm just mad that he signed the contract without being 100%. That's bullshit! He wasted PWill's fall. Williams could have fought Martinez back in Sept...

I have seen Martinez fight numerous times and he reminds of Calzaghe. He's not as busy as Calzaghe but he has more pop. Should be a interesting fight but I'm give PWill the close nod... 116-112, 115-113.
JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2009, 12:13 AM) *

Martinez is legit. He got boned 3 times against Cintron...but the dude is good.

His style can pose a lot of problems for Williams.
mrwigi
In the word of Ron "Faarooq" Simmons...................DAMN!
streetlion1
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 21 2009, 07:15 PM) *

I had Pavlik winning the fight by K.O.....

PW should be relieved.
D-MARV
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Oct 22 2009, 12:43 PM) *
I had Pavlik winning the fight by K.O.....

PW should be relieved.

LMAO
jlupi
with an infec in the hand lasting so long. Pav may be looking at long term complications even if the infection is gone. adhesions and or arthritis
Fitz
QUOTE (JD @ Oct 22 2009, 11:59 PM) *

Thanks man. I will see if I can get a hold of some of his fights.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JD @ Oct 22 2009, 12:59 PM) *

Margarito made Cintron cry.

Mosley beat Margarito.

Forrest beat Mosley.

Mayorga beat Forrest.

DLH beat Mayorga.

PBF beat DLH.

Therefore if Martinez is legit yet Cintron "boned" him three times the process of insane logic says PBF beats Williams.

Keith
I have a feeling Pavlik is done for good. I am sure at some point he will fight again but I am not sure he will ever be the same solid fighter he was after beating Taylor twice. I liken it to Forrest. Forrest was on top of the world after he beating Mosley twice and was forced back to earth by Mayorga, wound up hurt and never got back to where he was. Sure, he won a belt at 154 but he was never the same, the spark was gone. Pavlik beat Taylor twice, forced back to earth by Hopkins, gets hurt and misses big fights.......
JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2009, 06:03 PM) *
Thanks man. I will see if I can get a hold of some of his fights.

Here are rounds 7 and 8 of the Cintron fight.

The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2009, 03:59 AM) *

My man Fitz... It prolly wasnt Kp that was behind scheduling this fight. KP has been a guy who fights all comers. Dont blame him, blame Arum and crew. They scheduled this fight without examining their fighters situation. KP has had this hanging over his head for months. Staph is a serious thing. It could potentially involve amputations and death. I hope KP gets better. I hope Williams gets a dance partner and some $$ for his trouble. I also hope they meet down the line, maybe on a PPV next summer.They should have scheduled when their guy was healthy... DEC 5th is a HUUUUUGE disappointment. I was really looking forward to that one. I told alot of casual fans at my sone FB practice tonite. Lot of them from New Orleans... They were shocked and pissed... They were also shocked and pissed because I had an Atlanta Falcons jacket on(where's Warlord)...
Big Slim Sweet
Fitz is usually one of the most level headed posters here, but when it comes to Kelly Pavlik his blood starts boiling.

laugh.gif

Not sure who to blame for this really. It does get annoying to keep having this fight teased and then nuked. Seems like there's some miscommunication that's been going on for a while between Pavlik and his promoters.
MarzB
Just a general comment.

Terrible year for boxing and cancellations. I think Pavlik should be stripped. I wish he gets better but there are consequences in having multiple cancellations. Let Williams fight someone else for the strap and the Pavlik when healthy gets the winner.
D-MARV
QUOTE (MarzB @ Oct 23 2009, 04:13 PM) *
Just a general comment.

Terrible year for boxing and cancellations. I think Pavlik should be stripped. I wish he gets better but there are consequences in having multiple cancellations. Let Williams fight someone else for the strap and the Pavlik when healthy gets the winner.

Totally Agree! I wish Felix Sturm was availible.
caneman
Strun would be a good one for getting a belt but I can't see :him wanting PWill EVER to be honest! That interm champ thing is a good idea IMO! If Strum don't wanna fight though, who would PWill fight?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.