Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is some advice do you all have for an aspiring young boxer?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
kingknockout
i been meaning to join and sign up for boxing for awhile now and before the year is out I will, whats some advice some of you have for a young up and coming boxer.

and no my style won't be to get in the ring and brawl, only to being hit with a bunch of heavy hitting and dangerous punches.

stick and move is the ish im sticking too.
rusty_trombone
play a different sport.
JD
Learn to throw left-handed.
caneman
Guard your grill knuckle up!
Lil-lightsout
You win fights by preparation, not by just showing up, how hard you train should determine how you do.
Do not waste your time if you are not really passionate about it.
Do not be a punching bag for anyone, only fight or spar when properly ready.
You can seriously get hurt or killed boxing, so is it really for you?
Try and stay relaxed and not tense when sparring.
Study some film of great fighters and see if you can learn stuff from them.
Buy some quality gear to protect your body(hand wraps,head gear,mouthpiece,etc.) when training.
Don't let anyone force you into a fight if you know you are not ready.
Try to aim for atleast 50 amateur fights if you want to fight pro someday.
Don't rush the process and learn the craft, it takes alot of time and hard work.
Stop waiting and get out there and look for a gym now.
Good Luck.

kidbazooka1
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 23 2009, 06:25 PM) *
i been meaning to join and sign up for boxing for awhile now and before the year is out I will, whats some advice some of you have for a young up and coming boxer.

and no my style won't be to get in the ring and brawl, only to being hit with a bunch of heavy hitting and dangerous punches.

It's a very very tough sport which i believe you have to really have a passion for to succeed in.

The stick n move style is perfect for the amateurs.

My main advice is work on conditioning not saying your in bad shape or good shape but we use to get a lot of guys in the gym who just wanted to step in the ring and fight usually those guys would go all wild for about a minute and then were completley spent afterwards. And these were guys who swore they were in top shape. My trainer use to tell me just play defense let them swing away and then when you see them tiring pound on em'.

It took me a year before i had my first amateur fight my trainer wanted to see if i would stick with it and not just be another kid who was there for a few months and then would disappear.

But like i said my main advice is work on conditioning doesn't matter how fast you are how hard you hit or how tough you are all of that goes out the window if you get tired.

Good luck.

Spyder
Go to the body. Soon and often.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 23 2009, 08:18 PM) *
You win fights by preparation, not by just showing up, how hard you train should determine how you do.
Buy some quality gear to protect your body(hand wraps,head gear,mouthpiece,etc.) when training.
Don't rush the process and learn the craft, it takes alot of time and hard work.
Good Luck.

Well said you covered alot of what i just posted.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 23 2009, 08:22 PM) *
Well said you covered alot of what i just posted.

Thanks. Appreciate it.

Read what you wrote too, conditioning is so key to success. Funny... but most fights I lost were almost always due to lack of conditioning. Very rarely did I lose to someone with more talent. You are right, no matter how good you are, if you are tired you are done for.
Boxingjunkie
Be respectful and polite. Im not saying dont be confident but some of the best fighters and most popular fighters are the ones who are curtious and respectful to the camera and the fans. Also everything else that has already been suggested is not a bad idea either. I guess dont be an arrogant SOB all the time (Floyd Mayweather ring a bell).
BigG
I'm an amateur boxer been competing since I was 16 and all I can say is just often spar, keep yourself in shape, and make the sport your life. Boxing is not just a sport to me anymore, it's a lifestyle...
STEVENSKI
Get good masking agents like Roy did.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (BigG @ Oct 23 2009, 10:33 PM) *
I'm an amateur boxer been competing since I was 16 and all I can say is just often spar, keep yourself in shape, and make the sport your life. Boxing is not just a sport to me anymore, it's a lifestyle...

How many fights you've had G?

Won any major comps yet?

Trying to get into refereeing I just became a member of USA boxing gonna start doing the clinics next month. Not to thrilled about reffing amatuer boxing cause as you might know they are extremely cautious with the fighters and there scoring even in smokers is horrible but gotta start somewhere.
King Eugene
Keep your chin tucked and keep thick skin. People will criticize everything you do! Gain as much knowledge about the sport as you can.
JonnysTrainer
Firstly, you need to be a man. You must grow a beard or a moustache. You must be dedicated and it must be your life and not just a sport. You got that kid? A thing people ignore these days is making your hands tough. You don't want them breaking like Floyd and that other limey fellow Calzaghe, who both hand girlish and wimpy hands. Calzaghe amazes me though, because his dad has a moustache......Arghhhhh, must have got the italian and his mothers genes.
So toughen your hands son. There is no greater sound as punching leather on a big hard heavy bag, you must also punch solid unmoveable objects as well to strengthen those hands. You will begin with wrapping your hands and punching walls, but you will try to achieve what I do later down the track and just punch walls and trees with your bare hand. But every single morning, you wake up at 5am and not a minute later, fill a bucket with cold water, throw in a bag of ice and just put your hands in there for 15 minutes before you go for your run at 5:30am. After each day before you go to bed, fill up a bath with cold water and just lay in there for 15 minutes. All the youths of today don't do this because of their girlish qualities, but doing this at night will heal muscles and will toughen you up mentally. Your body will be telling you to get out of there, you use your mind to convince it other wise.
So much more to learn but if you are able to do all these things, you are on the right track, kid.
BigG
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 24 2009, 06:49 AM) *
How many fights you've had G?

Won any major comps yet?

Trying to get into refereeing I just became a member of USA boxing gonna start doing the clinics next month. Not to thrilled about reffing amatuer boxing cause as you might know they are extremely cautious with the fighters and there scoring even in smokers is horrible but gotta start somewhere.

Typo thats 17* I've only had 4 fights because I took 2008 off but I got back to fighting in 2009. Will have my 5th in maybe 4-5 weeks...
KookedKrack
hire Buddy Mcgirt asap smile_anim.gif
kingknockout
laugh.gif thanks for the feedback everybody lol at johnny's trainer
provo
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 23 2009, 03:25 PM) *

How old are you? And do u have any kids if yes ! Its going 2 be hard ! If not train your ass off and run a lot if your serious about it u gotta have the time !
EpTXCHAMP
I've been boxing since I was 12 when my dad would take me to the gym here and there with him do some pad work hit the bag and what not. My first amateur fight was at 17 which was tough because I played basketball and baseball in high school so that took up alot of time thus I lost my first two fights. since then i've won 11 in a row composing a record of 11-2.

as mentioned I lost my first two fights and I truly believe it was due to lack of preparation time. my time went mostly to baseball and basketball practice and games. after high school I did JUCO basketball for a yr after that realized the NBA wasnt in my future and boxing became my main sport. I train and give 100% percent which is why i believe I've been able to win since IMO. So make sure you have the time and energy to give to boxing
another thing sad to say especially in amateur, judges favor the more active guy dont be a floyd pigeon punch and move (which MOST judges will see as running) let your hands go win the judges. now im not saying slug and brawl you can still move around but I guess Im trying to say throw combinations. simple one two's wont cut it! also be in shape trust me run and run some more. Third develop a jab you can control a fight with the jab.

Also if you get there, open is a big step up from novice but we can talk bout that later.

so who here boxed or still does? I'd like to share some videos from my fights or even sparring sessions with fellow fighters here on the board, help me out or clown on me if ya dislike me any feedback would be help
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JonnysTrainer @ Oct 24 2009, 12:54 PM) *
Firstly, you need to be a man. You must grow a beard or a moustache. You must be dedicated and it must be your life and not just a sport. You got that kid? A thing people ignore these days is making your hands tough. You don't want them breaking like Floyd and that other limey fellow Calzaghe, who both hand girlish and wimpy hands. Calzaghe amazes me though, because his dad has a moustache......Arghhhhh, must have got the italian and his mothers genes.
So toughen your hands son. There is no greater sound as punching leather on a big hard heavy bag, you must also punch solid unmoveable objects as well to strengthen those hands. You will begin with wrapping your hands and punching walls, but you will try to achieve what I do later down the track and just punch walls and trees with your bare hand. But every single morning, you wake up at 5am and not a minute later, fill a bucket with cold water, throw in a bag of ice and just put your hands in there for 15 minutes before you go for your run at 5:30am. After each day before you go to bed, fill up a bath with cold water and just lay in there for 15 minutes. All the youths of today don't do this because of their girlish qualities, but doing this at night will heal muscles and will toughen you up mentally. Your body will be telling you to get out of there, you use your mind to convince it other wise.
So much more to learn but if you are able to do all these things, you are on the right track, kid.

Damm you are on point again Mr Trainer. What about bull piss/brining your face? I mean you never saw Jack Dempsey suffering from cuts did you?

QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 24 2009, 08:58 PM) *
laugh.gif thanks for the feedback everybody lol at johnny's trainer

You should consider taking that back son. Jonnys Trainer don't take no shit from kids or adults. None of us want to see you hurt so just retract your silly comment & he may forgive you.
JonnysTrainer
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 24 2009, 09:24 PM) *
Damm you are on point again Mr Trainer. What about bull piss/brining your face? I mean you never saw Jack Dempsey suffering from cuts did you?

You should consider taking that back son. Jonnys Trainer don't take no shit from kids or adults. None of us want to see you hurt so just retract your silly comment & he may forgive you.

You seem to have your head screwed onto your shoulders. He thinks it's a laughing game, but anybody who has been in the sport as long as I have will know that boxing is no laughing matter. He should go ask the 300lb guy how funny it is to have your shoulder popped out while holding the pads, because a jab was thown while on the backfoot.
Wiping bull piss on your face is one of the forgetten arts with modern day trainers. The kid just isn't ready for that yet. He still doesn't have a beard or a moustache so we are just taking one step at a time.
D-MARV
"WHEN" you get KO'd (because you will) don't get discouraged and quit! Take it as a learning experience.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Oct 24 2009, 06:26 PM) *
I've been boxing since I was 12 when my dad would take me to the gym here and there with him do some pad work hit the bag and what not. My first amateur fight was at 17 which was tough because I played basketball and baseball in high school so that took up alot of time thus I lost my first two fights. since then i've won 11 in a row composing a record of 11-2.

as mentioned I lost my first two fights and I truly believe it was due to lack of preparation time. my time went mostly to baseball and basketball practice and games. after high school I did JUCO basketball for a yr after that realized the NBA wasnt in my future and boxing became my main sport. I train and give 100% percent which is why i believe I've been able to win since IMO. So make sure you have the time and energy to give to boxing
another thing sad to say especially in amateur, judges favor the more active guy dont be a floyd pigeon punch and move (which MOST judges will see as running) let your hands go win the judges. now im not saying slug and brawl you can still move around but I guess Im trying to say throw combinations. simple one two's wont cut it! also be in shape trust me run and run some more. Third develop a jab you can control a fight with the jab.

Also if you get there, open is a big step up from novice but we can talk bout that later.

so who here boxed or still does? I'd like to share some videos from my fights or even sparring sessions with fellow fighters here on the board, help me out or clown on me if ya dislike me any feedback would be help

I started boxing in 1997 didn't have my first fight until a year later boxed for 7 years but stopped because i had to work to help out my folks. I fought in the 1999 Northern California Jr olympics didn't win lost my 2nd bout also fought in the 00' Golden Gloves didn't win that either but won several smokers. Then switched gyms went over to Kings Boxing Gym in Oakland where Andre Ward and Nonito Donaire trained.

I sparred with Nonito a few times right before he turned pro needles to say he beat the sh*t out of me the first time but took it easy on me afterwards. Some of the top amateurs in the gym though they were the sh*t but Nonito was very humble and always polite he gave me alot of advice and encouraged me to keep going for it. He's a a real cool guy can't say that for the others that i met(won't say any names wink wink).

kingknockout
QUOTE (provo @ Oct 24 2009, 06:31 PM) *
How old are you? And do u have any kids if yes ! Its going 2 be hard ! If not train your ass off and run a lot if your serious about it u gotta have the time !

19 and no i dont have any kids, i hope im not too late with starting to train
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 25 2009, 01:42 PM) *
19 and no i dont have any kids, i hope im not too late with starting to train

well, look at it this way. how many basketball players, football players, baseball players, etc., start a new sport they plan on competing professionally against others in at 19? nothing is impossible, but i think a pro career is out of the question. now mma, that's a different story, start training for that and you could be on tv after 1 or 2 fights.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Oct 25 2009, 08:19 PM) *
well, look at it this way. how many basketball players, football players, baseball players, etc., start a new sport they plan on competing professionally against others in at 19? nothing is impossible, but i think a pro career is out of the question. now mma, that's a different story, start training for that and you could be on tv after 1 or 2 fights.

STFU Anthony Mundine switched after playing football & is a multi time "champion" making millions with each fight & every single fight of his has been on PPV.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 23 2009, 07:18 PM) *

Good Luck.

Very very good advice man..

I would also say,look for a good trainer..A lot of trainers these days teach bad habits (bow and arrow jab,leaning when bob and weaving,arm punching,teaching bad balance,not working on footwork,stuff like that)..Footwork is your foundation and is your sense of balance..Guys with amazing footwork are Joe Louis,Ray Robinson,and Benny Leonard..Benny Leonard has the best balance of any fighter ever in history..So make sure the trainer is teaching the foundation and not just throwing stuff at you at a fast rate to get you ready to spar or fight..Take your time like Lightsout said and you'll be on a whole other level than the guys who rushed into it thinking sparring is the most important thing..It's only important when you know what you're doing otherwise you'll develop bad habits and could turn into a punching bag and become punchy before even turning pro..So find a good trainer,not any trainer..

Also,19 is not too old AT ALL..Age doesn't matter as long as you do things properly..You've still got PLENTY of time man..Don't worry about it..Plenty of guys have done it..Don't let anyone tell ya it's not possible..If you want it bad enough,you'll do it..

BE PATIENT!!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JonnysTrainer @ Oct 24 2009, 06:54 AM) *

HAHAHAHA..Punch those trees till they're leaveless..

You forgot to mention how Joe Louis would squeeze a rubber ball in each hand while he did his road work to also toughen up his hands..
JonnysTrainer
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Oct 26 2009, 02:30 AM) *

I would also say,look for a good trainer..A lot of trainers these days teach bad habits (bow and arrow jab,leaning when bob and weaving,arm punching,teaching bad balance,not working on footwork,stuff like that)..Footwork is your foundation and is your sense of balance..Guys with amazing footwork are Joe Louis,Ray Robinson,and Benny Leonard..Benny Leonard has the best balance of any fighter ever in history..So make sure the trainer is teaching the foundation and not just throwing stuff at you at a fast rate to get you ready to spar or fight..Take your time like Lightsout said and you'll be on a whole other level than the guys who rushed into it thinking sparring is the most important thing..It's only important when you know what you're doing otherwise you'll develop bad habits and could turn into a punching bag and become punchy before even turning pro..So find a good trainer,not any trainer..

I'm proud of ya son. You have learned well. See you in the gym later. I hope you got your well earner rest, because we are going to be doing conditioning work. You know what that means? Ha ha. Be mentally prepared also.

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Oct 26 2009, 02:38 AM) *
HAHAHAHA..Punch those trees till they're leaveless..

You forgot to mention how Joe Louis would squeeze a rubber ball in each hand while he did his road work to also toughen up his hands..

Punch those trees until they are leavless? They are usually leavless just at the sight of me. I never told you about the story? You know where there name 'fall' originates from? I will let you in on a well kept secret. You can trace it all the way back through my blood lines.
I didn't forget to tell him about Louis squeezing a rubber ball. I am just letting him take a step at a time. He still doesn't have a beard or moustache and I believe I read he is a nurse, so just baby steps for now. Ha ha.
See you in the gym kid.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JonnysTrainer @ Oct 26 2009, 04:01 AM) *
I'm proud of ya son. You have learned well. See you in the gym later. I hope you got your well earner rest, because we are going to be doing conditioning work. You know what that means? Ha ha. Be mentally prepared also.

Punch those trees until they are leavless? They are usually leavless just at the sight of me. I never told you about the story? You know where there name 'fall' originates from? I will let you in on a well kept secret. You can trace it all the way back through my blood lines.
I didn't forget to tell him about Louis squeezing a rubber ball. I am just letting him take a step at a time. He still doesn't have a beard or moustache and I believe I read he is a nurse, so just baby steps for now. Ha ha.
See you in the gym kid.

hahahahahaha..That's some good shit man..hahaha..

You're one lethal dude..If you weren't in the gym training dudes all the time,we'd never see leaves again..Shit,trees would start up rooting on their own eventually..
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Oct 26 2009, 03:30 AM) *

Also,19 is not too old AT ALL..Age doesn't matter as long as you do things properly..You've still got PLENTY of time man..Don't worry about it..Plenty of guys have done it..Don't let anyone tell ya it's not possible..If you want it bad enough,you'll do it..

BE PATIENT!!

Thanks man. Good advice on your part too.

Also...Johnny's Trainer should have his own Permanent Topic so people could just ask him questions and maybe gain some valueable knowledge from him.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 25 2009, 06:35 PM) *
STFU Anthony Mundine switched after playing football & is a multi time "champion" making millions with each fight & every single fight of his has been on PPV.

he's not exactly the norm. i didn't say it's impossible, it's possible just not probable
HaydelHammer
"don't ever go out drinking then spar the next morning no matter how "in shape" you "think" you are!" - H.H - 2009
JonnysTrainer
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Oct 26 2009, 03:54 PM) *
"don't ever go out drinking then spar the next morning no matter how "in shape" you "think" you are!" - H.H - 2009

That's very good advice, people shouldn't be drinking alcohol when in training. The only drinking a fighter should be doing is water and urine.
Snoop
QUOTE (JonnysTrainer @ Oct 26 2009, 11:00 PM) *
That's very good advice, people shouldn't be drinking alcohol when in training. The only drinking a fighter should be doing is water and urine.

So I'm guessing you approve of Marquez's training regimen for the last fight?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Oct 26 2009, 08:26 PM) *
he's not exactly the norm. i didn't say it's impossible, it's possible just not probable

Well he is "the man" I suppose.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Oct 26 2009, 03:54 PM) *

Why not just give out the advice of not drinking if your training??Makes more sense to me..I've seen dudes who are real good come in to spar after drinking the night before end up puking or looking like shit..Its not worth it and really shows how strong of a commitment you have to being the best..The drink of champions is water and 100% natural juice..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Oct 26 2009, 05:19 PM) *
So I'm guessing you approve of Marquez's training regimen for the last fight?

I know trainers who say that what Marquez did was a good thing but mine thinks that was stupid and he should of just put the vitamins and everything else back in him instead of drinking his piss..
King Eugene
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Oct 24 2009, 11:37 PM) *
"WHEN" you get KO'd (because you will) don't get discouraged and quit! Take it as a learning experience.

LMAO...Damn
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif No confidence in the kid I see.
BigG
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 27 2009, 01:11 AM) *
Well he is "the man" I suppose.

Mundine is an overrated hack - not a poor mans, but a BROKE mans Zab Judah.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (BigG @ Oct 27 2009, 05:09 AM) *
Mundine is an overrated hack - not a poor mans, but a BROKE mans Zab Judah.

No he is a rich mans Judah. He is the Original Aboriginal.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Oct 27 2009, 05:06 AM) *
Why not just give out the advice of not drinking if your training??Makes more sense to me..I've seen dudes who are real good come in to spar after drinking the night before end up puking or looking like shit..Its not worth it and really shows how strong of a commitment you have to being the best..The drink of champions is water and 100% natural juice..

What about Harry Greb? Then again he was so hard he did not need to train he trained in his fights every week.
maelstrom
QUOTE (Boxingjunkie @ Oct 23 2009, 08:48 PM) *
Be respectful and polite. Im not saying dont be confident but some of the best fighters and most popular fighters are the ones who are curtious and respectful to the camera and the fans. Also everything else that has already been suggested is not a bad idea either. I guess dont be an arrogant SOB all the time (Floyd Mayweather ring a bell).
Get off Floyd's nuts bitch.

Boxing is full of arrogant SOBs.
BigG
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 27 2009, 07:54 AM) *
No he is a rich mans Judah. He is the Original Aboriginal.

Mundine is garbage. What's this guys best win again, a shot Echols and Danny Green. BUMdine would get destroyed by the Super 6 and Kelly Pavlik.
Snoop
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Oct 27 2009, 06:08 AM) *
I know trainers who say that what Marquez did was a good thing but mine thinks that was stupid and he should of just put the vitamins and everything else back in him instead of drinking his piss..

Not according to what he said here:

How dare you go against your trainer's word. And on a public forum for all of us to see! nono.gif
JonnysTrainer
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Oct 28 2009, 12:51 AM) *
Not according to what he said here:

How dare you go against your trainer's word. And on a public forum for all of us to see! nono.gif

Jonny says some truth because I said Marquez was drinking rubbish, because you do not want all the nutrients from burritos, tacos and chorizo con porotos.

But I notice he tried to make me sound like I was against it, he is just not ready yet and I been trying to convince him if you eat well, it's good to drink. He is just trying to get out of it, but he will eventually come around. Even if it means I must force it down. Ha ha.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JonnysTrainer @ Oct 28 2009, 01:40 AM) *
Jonny says some truth because I said Marquez was drinking rubbish, because you do not want all the nutrients from burritos, tacos and chorizo con porotos.

But I notice he tried to make me sound like I was against it, he is just not ready yet and I been trying to convince him if you eat well, it's good to drink. He is just trying to get out of it, but he will eventually come around. Even if it means I must force it down. Ha ha.

hahaha..Fuck outta here dude..

Seriously though,pee is not the way to go..My trainer is against it,so I'll never have to worry about that shit..Some trainer at the gym told one of my guys to put pee in his ear cause it got messed up in a fight..I guess it does have healing properties but why the fuck are dudes drinking it??hahaha

I've never said it before but dude that's a funny ass picture ya put up that is supposed to be my trainer..
JonnysTrainer
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Oct 28 2009, 03:06 AM) *
Seriously though,pee is not the way to go..My trainer is against it,so I'll never have to worry about that shit..

You are skating on thin ice young man. If you keep pushing your luck, all I'm going to say is I hope your shoulders are ready. Because tomorrow morning you are going to be holding the pads, and let me let you in a little secret son. You aren't 300+lbs, your name isn't Big Bailey and I won't be jabbing while on the back foot. So that's something to ponder on over night tiger. I will see you in the morning kid.
caneman
lmao! Funny stuff Jonny & his trainer!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.