Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Todays notorious runners
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
du365
In today's current boxing scene, who are the top notorious runners? Which of today's fighters run more than they engage?
kingknockout
mayweather rolleyes_anim.gif

Direll

The now and old roy jones cus he know's his chin is made of fine china

MarzB
Boxing is only about engaging you're implying??
kingknockout
QUOTE (MarzB @ Oct 25 2009, 01:30 PM) *

lol just go with the flow marz....me and you both know, this forum is filled with dudes that just want to see dudes pound each other's brains out like two cavemen
du365
QUOTE (MarzB @ Oct 25 2009, 01:30 PM) *

No, that not what I'm implying

Certain guys become runners depending on who they are fighting. I try not to watch guys who run in every fight. I love boxing and lateral movement but not when it turns to out and out running....I want to see the sweet science mixed in with a fight.

I was a Sugar Ray Leonard fan. At times he was known to run... but the man was a great fighter. He went to war with Benitez, Duran, Hearns, and others. Vs. Hagler he did run a little but look at the circumstances going into the fight-

Leonard had not fought in 3 years and prior to that fight he had not fought in over 2 years (that's 1 fight in over 5 years for you boys who aren't good at math lol). Also, it was Leonard's first fight at MW... and he was fighting arguably the best fighter in the world at the time. Cut the man some slack. I don't think Hagler was robbed btw. The fight was close and I could see it going either way by a point or two. I could also see it being a draw. I don't see it as a robbery though.
MarzB
Exactly kingknockout exactly.

Du, I'm glad you used the Ray Leonard example because when he chose to fight Duran (in their first match) straight up, he lost. It was only when he reverted back to his stick and move style or as whats referred to here as "running" in their second fight did he totally frustrate Duran.

I'm glad you mentioned the Hagler bout specifically saying that Ray hadn't fought in 3 years. He didn't have an OFFICIAL fight during his time off that is true. However what is NOT widely known is that he sparred top flight current (at the time) opposition in secret, closed doors sparring. Actually he mentioned he allowed them to wear headgear and 10oz gloves while he wore NO headgear and 12oz gloves. The point here is that Ray didn't just come out and fight Hagler merely off of a training camp. For those that don't believe the above, you can hear it from his own mouth.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/On-The-Ropes/...gar-Ray-Leonard

That story aside, I'm going to follow Kingknockouts advice. I'll admit (and I mentioned this at the time) I think it was on the Ndou/Malignaggi undercard where it was Dirrell and Curtis Stevens. That was one of the worse cases of running I've seen in a while. To me there is movement and then there is running. Running is movement without any purpose.
du365
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 25 2009, 01:28 PM) *

Direll

Can you explain how Mayweather is a runner?and what fight did he run in?
kidbazooka1
Malinaggi and Calderon are probably on the top of my list.
darroy
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 25 2009, 12:28 PM) *

Direll

the only fight where roy really ran was the third tarver fight!!! other than that he really isn't a runner otherwise he probably never would've got ko'd to begin with.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MarzB @ Oct 25 2009, 06:30 PM) *

Well Boxing whilst being hit & don't get hit still requires you to hit your opponent not flee & throw occasional shoeshine combinations. Keep that stuff in the amateurs where it belongs.
Keith
Mayweather is not a runner. He throws punches then moves or moves then throws punches. He is always in control. There's always a spot in his fights where he knuckles up and proves his point. And its never just 1 punch, he proves his point in combos. He also doesnt resort to excessive clinching.

Dirrel just runs...then puts his head between a mans legs... then hugs... then flops on the canvas... then complains... repeat. Somewhere in there he throws a punch and expects that to win the round. He fights like a man thats very afraid of fighting, and thats a very bad thing for a boxer.
kingknockout
I know mayweather isnt a runner, but theres alot of guys on here that THINKS he is, and i thought they were gonna run to this thread and say it, but they chose not to i guess
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 26 2009, 01:35 AM) *
I know mayweather isnt a runner, but theres alot of guys on here that THINKS he is, and i thought they were gonna run to this thread and say it, but they chose not to i guess

Mayweather is not a runner. He is a backfoot fighter & there is a huge difference between the two.

Now as for Mayweather being a cat who refuses to make the most meaningful fights then he is exactly that & I wish him the worst.
torvix2000
Gayweather isn't a runner. He just maintains a critical distance from his opponents. Gayweather is as man as Pacquiao in the ring. But he's become gay when it comes to picking opponents.
gbh32001
I will put on Joan Guzman as number one runner after I watched him run from one corner to the other while clowning Soto.

Floyd is a sweet to watch in the ring but outside of it was all shit. His skills and cowardice makes him difficult to beat because he picks opponent
that before they step up in the ring he already beat. I hope he fight Darchinyan next for a tune up fight before his biggest fight against Nate Campbell. rolleyes_anim.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 25 2009, 12:36 PM) *
lol just go with the flow marz....me and you both know, this forum is filled with dudes that just want to see dudes pound each other's brains out like two cavemen

No doubt..I wanna see skill..Boxing is hit and don't be hit..Not hit and get hit..It makes me wonder if this guys who only want to go toe to toe and don't care about getting hit care about their future..It the "banging" is done in a skillful way like Holyfield did and Corrales did,I love it..They had technique and ring smarts..Archie Moore in his later part of his career when his abilties faded some,would be more willing to fight it out but he wasn't there to hit for the most part..Most footage seen on Archie is of him over the age of 40..He was a genius in the ring..Archie in his prime was a very hard guy to hit..

Guys today don't think defense as much I feel..Floyd does and that's part of the reason why he's the best right now..All the guys people call pussies today have some kinda defense..hahaha..Klitchkos,Cory Spinks,Floyd Mayweather,Chris Byrd are some examples..Chris Byrd never got his props..He has some of the best defense in the last 20 years..All the best guys in boxing have some good defense(Pac-man not as much)..Hopkins has amazing defense..
maelstrom
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 25 2009, 12:28 PM) *

Direll

Don't forget Cotto.

Shane started that bitch running and he hasn't stopped since.
maelstrom
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Oct 25 2009, 07:53 PM) *
Gayweather isn't a runner. He just maintains a critical distance from his opponents. Gayweather is as man as Pacquiao in the ring. But he's become gay when it comes to picking opponents.
If that's the case...Fanny Pac must be a transexual when it comes to picking opponents...his biggest wins are against Floyd's leftovers.
torvix2000
QUOTE (maelstrom @ Oct 26 2009, 01:07 PM) *
If that's the case...Fanny Pac must be a transexual when it comes to picking opponents...his biggest wins are against Floyd's leftovers.

LOL!
The CEO
I don't know....when I think of "running" in Boxing...I think of Morrade Hakkar when he faced Bernard Hopkins.

THAT...was running.
Jack 1000
Malinaggi

Direll

Jack
maelstrom
QUOTE (The CEO @ Oct 26 2009, 08:19 AM) *
I don't know....when I think of "running" in Boxing...I think of Morrade Hakkar when he faced Bernard Hopkins.

THAT...was running.
But Hopkins found a way to make Hakkar move foreward into an asswhipping.

That was amazing.

He made a terrified fighter come to him.

Lil-lightsout
The Klits are easily today's biggest runners...they been running from Toney for years.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 26 2009, 02:01 PM) *
The Klits are easily today's biggest runners...they been running from Toney for years.

And Toney has been running from Diets for years.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (maelstrom @ Oct 26 2009, 08:07 AM) *

Really??I'd consider his biggest wins against Marquez,Morales,and Barerra..Hatton and DLH were also big wins after he moved up(from 130), 1(Diaz),than 3(DLH),than 2(Hatton) weight classes in 3 fights from his normal weight of 130..Hardcore boxing fans would go with my picks and the casual fans will go with Hatton and DLH..Beating Morales,Barerra,and Marquez is enough to make him a legend in my opinion..
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Oct 27 2009, 01:19 AM) *
And Toney has been running from Diets for years.

He only does that to handicap his opponents. Could you imagine if he was in shape for all his fights? He would be undefeated right now and considered the greatest fighter ever, duh. He would have KO'd that bum Jones back in 94 if Toney would have atleast trained a little for their fight.

How many times was Jones brutally KO'd??? Toney??? fuck.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 27 2009, 01:52 AM) *
He only does that to handicap his opponents. Could you imagine if he was in shape for all his fights? He would be undefeated right now and considered the greatest fighter ever, duh. He would have KO'd that bum Jones back in 94 if Toney would have atleast trained a little for their fight.

How many times was Jones brutally KO'd??? Toney??? fuck.gif

Would've Could've Should've...blah blah blah!

Jones flat out embarrassed Toney and the only ones making up excuses are fans. Toney said it on Jones Beyond The Glory that Jones was just the better man that night.

Oh and if Toney ever dares steps in the ring with Vitali he will be stopped Sam Peter style. fuck.gif
maelstrom
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Oct 27 2009, 12:25 AM) *
Really??I'd consider his biggest wins against Marquez,Morales,and Barerra..Hatton and DLH were also big wins after he moved up(from 130), 1(Diaz),than 3(DLH),than 2(Hatton) weight classes in 3 fights from his normal weight of 130..Hardcore boxing fans would go with my picks and the casual fans will go with Hatton and DLH..Beating Morales,Barerra,and Marquez is enough to make him a legend in my opinion..

Floyd moved from 130 too my friend....and he never put a weight limit on anybody.

Fanny Pac didn't beat JMM decisively...Morales and Barrera were shot to hell.

Diaz is the worst paper champ in the history of paper champs...Hatton was washed-up and Oscar was cadaverous.

Hardly a legend.
torvix2000
QUOTE (maelstrom @ Oct 27 2009, 07:31 AM) *
Floyd moved from 130 too my friend....and he never put a weight limit on anybody.

This is oh so LOL!!!
happygocampy
I don't care about the running so much, it's the holding, and i'm not talking about the grabbing Bernard Hopkins does where he grabs for a sec, manuevers and pops the guy, i'm talking about the 'OH MY GOD MOMMY SAVE ME" clinging that, you know, Dirrell was doing against Froch. the holding where you start yelling at the TV "WHAT THE FUCK! HIT HIM, DON'T HOLD HIM YOU STUPID FUCK!" Which i did repeatedly watching Froch vs Dirrell. The holding where the ref is constantly breaking fighters the whole fight. Refs should have those little flags like they have in PRIDE, when a fighter lull's the action they raise that flag up and the fighter gets docked pay. That would liven this sport up a bit.

I love watching crafty fighters like Hopkins and Mayweather, and Chris Byrd was one of my favorites to watch early in his career, that guy never held and hardly ever got hit clean.

QUOTE (The CEO @ Oct 26 2009, 06:19 AM) *

THAT...was running.

Nice one, forgot about that fight
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Oct 27 2009, 02:24 AM) *
Oh and if Toney ever dares steps in the ring with Vitali he will be stopped Sam Peter style. fuck.gif

laugh.gif

Toney would embarrass that robot and win a unanimous decision, or Vitali would probably end up quitting after he would be so frustrated with not being able to hit him. Toney got the balls to get in there with anyone anytime, it is the others who are chickens.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 27 2009, 07:27 AM) *
laugh.gif

Toney would embarrass that robot and win a unanimous decision, or Vitali would probably end up quitting after he would be so frustrated with not being able to hit him. Toney got the balls to get in there with anyone anytime, it is the others who are chickens.

Two Words.........Fres Quendo
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Oct 27 2009, 07:40 AM) *
Two Words.........Fres Quendo

Who is this Quendo guy? You mean Fres Oquendo? laugh.gif

Can you say an off night? Can you say undertrained fat Toney? I am talking about the new rejuvenated Toney. You will see.

Mosley against Mayorga. Then Mosley against Margarito. The list goes on and on.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 27 2009, 12:27 PM) *
Toney got the balls to get in there with anyone anytime, it is the others who are chickens.

No it is Toney's victims that are chickens. Grain fed chickens. Roasted, fried, grilled it don't matter so long as there is at least 2 of them Toney is happy.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 27 2009, 06:35 PM) *
No it is Toney's victims that are chickens. Grain fed chickens. Roasted, fried, grilled it don't matter so long as there is at least 2 of them Toney is happy.

laugh.gif and fuck.gif
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Oct 27 2009, 01:25 AM) *

I think Mannys best win was against Barrera in the first fight.

Morales beat him then he beat a washed up version of Morales

Marquez fight will be debated for years to come.

DLH well we all know what happened there.

Hatton was also a good win but Hatton never was and never will be the fighter Barrera was.

Hands down Pacqiuao's best win so far is over Barrera but that may change come Nov. 14th.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 27 2009, 10:06 AM) *
Who is this Quendo guy? You mean Fres Oquendo? laugh.gif

Can you say an off night? Can you say undertrained fat Toney? I am talking about the new rejuvenated Toney. You will see.

Mosley against Mayorga. Then Mosley against Margarito. The list goes on and on.

i don't understand how a toney that is 200+lbs of blubber is rejuvenated. you must mean, recycled or reused or refried.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 27 2009, 06:35 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Toney is done!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Oct 28 2009, 05:28 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Toney is done!

Not at the buffet he ain't. This is a man who is P4P when faced with a endless stream of shrimp, BBQ & dessert. His only request is that you hold the damm salad it is meaningless filler & Toney is a main even kind of guy so he only eats main courses.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 27 2009, 06:52 PM) *
I think Mannys best win was against Barrera in the first fight.

Morales beat him then he beat a washed up version of Morales

Marquez fight will be debated for years to come.

DLH well we all know what happened there.

Hatton was also a good win but Hatton never was and never will be the fighter Barrera was.

Hands down Pacqiuao's best win so far is over Barrera but that may change come Nov. 14th.

Pac-man KO'd Morales twice after Morales beat him in the first fight..

You're right about the Marquez fights..A draw and a win over him, with both fights being able to go either way..I hope no one thinks it's hard to say how great Marquez is after the Mayweather fight since he did get WHOOPED..Marquez has never fought anyone like Mayweather before though..
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Oct 28 2009, 01:08 AM) *
Pac-man KO'd Morales twice after Morales beat him in the first fight..

You're right about the Marquez fights..A draw and a win over him, with both fights being able to go either way..I hope no one thinks it's hard to say how great Marquez is after the Mayweather fight since he did get WHOOPED..Marquez has never fought anyone like Mayweather before though..

No fighter has ever fought anyone like Mayweather.

And yes Manny stopped Morales twice but this was after Morales had moved up lost to Raheem and was finished. Like i said i believe Morales last hurrah was agianst Manny in the first fight after that he was done as a top fighter IMO.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 28 2009, 12:47 AM) *

And yes Manny stopped Morales twice but this was after Morales had moved up lost to Raheem and was finished. Like i said i believe Morales last hurrah was agianst Manny in the first fight after that he was done as a top fighter IMO.

In history??haha..Had to throw that out there..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 28 2009, 05:47 AM) *

Seriously SMH.

The only accurate thing about that statement is that there has never been a fighter with so much potentail talent piss it away through refusing to make fights. That is why Mayweather will never be truly great. It does not matter what he does in the future the last 5 years his prime years is what he will be remembered for.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Oct 28 2009, 01:47 AM) *

I'd say Morales got 'old' in the 2nd Pac fight and I think Pac had a part to play in that.

It always gets overlooked that he beat a pretty decent Barerra in their first fight and if the judge got his fucking scoring right beat a close to prime Marquez in their first fight when no-one would go near JMM, hence him fighting Chris John in his own backyard.

I'll also give him credit in being the first guy to beat Fatton at 140. Not so much credit for the victory but the way he did it was damn impressive.

Thought he definately lost the 2nd JMM fight though.
maelstrom
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 28 2009, 02:46 AM) *
Seriously SMH.

The only accurate thing about that statement is that there has never been a fighter with so much potentail talent piss it away through refusing to make fights. That is why Mayweather will never be truly great. It does not matter what he does in the future the last 5 years his prime years is what he will be remembered for.
Blame Arum for not letting Floyd ruins his overrated pinatas.

Floyd is already great...Tony and Cotto are not good enuff to deny anyone from greatness...much less a guy on Floyd's level.

Nobody is as cowardly as Kostya Tszyu... a guy that was KTFO by a homeless crackhead and too scared to avenged the smashing defeat.

Zoo never dared to be great.
torvix2000
LOL!

So glad we have the computer search engine Fitz. Maelstorm just got himself busted. Hahaha!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 28 2009, 07:32 PM) *
Haha. This is clearly a former member or lurker that is just trolling. Tszyu wasn't mentioned, but some how replied to Stevenski trying to discredit him. He switched to Tszyu who wasn't even in the conversation. So he clearly knows where Stevenski stands on Tszyu.
Way to out yourself as a troll you stupid clown laugh.gif

There was another post he ripped Stevenski hard, forget which one. He obviously does not like him, can not understand why either? Stevenski is such a happy fun loving guy. laugh.gif
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 28 2009, 11:32 PM) *
Haha. This is clearly a former member or lurker that is just trolling. Tszyu wasn't mentioned, but some how replied to Stevenski trying to discredit him. He switched to Tszyu who wasn't even in the conversation. So he clearly knows where Stevenski stands on Tszyu.
Way to out yourself as a troll you stupid clown laugh.gif

Hes probably bitter because KT beat Roger. Im pretty sure every one of his 45 posts have been related to the sucking of a Mayweather cock in some way. Im damn sure hes full of shit.
maelstrom
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 28 2009, 09:34 PM) *
Believe it or not cervix, I actually just used common sense. Just my eyes and brain. I read the thread, didn't see any mention of Tszyu in there and then saw him rip into Tszyu when it wasn't even in the conversation and then I just put two and two together. Pretty amazing huh? laugh.gif
I ripped Zoo because Stevie is an aussie.

Aussies can't say shit about Floyd..considering all they have is Mundine and Shitzoo...maybe a few other nothing-ass fighters.

Oh

I forgot Shannon Taylor..

LOL
maelstrom
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Oct 29 2009, 11:55 AM) *
Hes probably bitter because KT beat Roger. Im pretty sure every one of his 45 posts have been related to the sucking of a Mayweather cock in some way. Im damn sure hes full of shit.

Fantasize about sucking Floyd's dick on your own time sissy.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.