Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why don't they offer PPV fights online?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
I was thinking a bit ago (not a habit, I promise) but why doesn't HBO or Showtime or whoever put Pay Per View fights online? Have it set up through the cable companies who provide the broadband internet?

I can't really think of a reason why this wouldn't work. ESPN has the 360 service which allows you to stream major college games online, so there's obviously a way to do this.

The only thing I can think of that would be a roadblock for this is the piracy element, but you have that ANYWAY. Putting it online for people who pay for it won't change that.

And since it's through the cable companies that would show the PPV fights on the TV, they shouldn't have a problem setting up streams for online to their customers who pay for it.

Somehow work it where the stream will only work on one IP or something.

Thoughts?

This would be good for those (like myself) that doesn't have CABLE TV because I don't have a TV. I just have an HD Monitor plugged into my PS3.

And the #'s would count towards the PPV so...

King Eugene
Sounds like a good idea to me. The only thing that would suck is if for some reason the connections went down after purchase and you couldn't watch the fight. Would they give all those people their money back or credit it to their bill?
caneman
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Oct 28 2009, 12:43 AM) *
Sounds like a good idea to me. The only thing that would suck is if for some reason the connections went down after purchase and you couldn't watch the fight. Would they give all those people their money back or credit it to their bill?

The same could happen with the dish or even cable really bro!
lloyd mayflower
I would be up for this since a lot of the PPV fights in america we have no way of seeing over here. Theres obviously a way to do it since Froch v Dirrell and Taylor v Abraham were on an online PPV. Cant remember who was running it, think it was a new channel called primetime. I never bought it as i was on nightshift so i dont know how it went. But its something i would get involved in.
gbh32001
I tried on line PPV before and it sucks bigtime!Distorted graphics,slow motion,lagging,broken sounds even though i have 15Mbps connection, 2.6GHz quad core with GeForce Video Card(512Mb). Better use sopcast application if no PPV avail in your country.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.