Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SHANE MOSLEY INTERVIEW SETS RECORD STRAIGHT ON DUCKING FLOYD
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Vodoo
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=21429&more=1

Exclusive Interview: Shane Mosley
by Geoffrey Ciani - Sugar Shane Mosley is currently the top dog in the welterweight division. His impressive destruction of Antonio Margarito earlier this year left no doubts about it. In recent weeks and months, Mosley has made his intentions clear—he still wants to take on the best in the division, whether it is a fight with Floyd Mayweather, a fight with Manny Pacquiao, a rematch with Miguel Cotto, or a battle with any of the other top contenders in the 147 pound weight class. I was recently afforded the opportunity to have a nice chat with the welter weight champion. Here is what he had to say:

Audio:

Q: You were in attendance for the Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez bout. What is your evaluation of Mayweather’s performance?

A: Well, I really couldn’t evaluate it because he fought a junior lightweight and the lightweight champion. I couldn’t tell if he actually improved or anything because he was so much bigger than the guy, but from what I had seen he looked like he has his speed back, he looked pretty sharp, but look at the opponent he was facing..

Q: After the fight you actually challenged Floyd Mayweather and many observers, according to what I have read, noted that Mayweather appeared intimidated by you. Did you get that impression at the time?

A: Well, I’ve always known that Floyd is intimidated by me. I mean, I see him out at different places and he’s intimidated, he doesn’t really want to fight me. He would much rather fight guys that he could handpick and get victories from and basically just get money. He can make money fighting Marquez, make money fighting (Manny) Pacquiao, and make money fighting the Ricky Hattons of the world, but when is he going to get in there with a welterweight again? With a real welterweight? I mean, there’s myself—the number one welterweight—and there’s (Miguel) Cotto,(Joshua) Clottey, and (Andre) Berto. We have four welterweights that he hasn’t fought.

Q: After you challenged him, a week later, Mayweather wished you good luck in your career which seemed to indicate he’s not interested in fighting you. He also mentioned that he challenged you twice, and he claims that you turned him down back in 1999 and again in 2006. Did you really turn him down?

A: Like I said, he’s really a liar. He likes to lie a lot. In 1999 there’s a film where he’s fighting in Michigan when he was fighting at 130 and I was fighting at 135, and I asked him, like when HBO does the prefight analysts talk to the fighters before they fight. I talked to him, and hopefully it’s recorded somewhere—I think it was on FX—I asked him, “Are you planning on coming up to lightweight to fight me?” And he said, “No,” He had no intention of coming to lightweight to fight me, he wanted t beat Carlos Monzon’s record. He didn’t want to come to lightweight. That’s when I jumped from lightweight to welterweight to fight Oscar De La Hoya. That was the first incident that he’s talking about, so he turned me down in 1999.

Now, the other time he’s talking about is when I fought three times—one, two, three, back-to-back-to-back—and they tried to rush me to fight him right away, like two or three months later. I said, give me a month, and we’ll do it like, I think it was in January—I said, “We’ll do it in January”. They wanted to do it in like November or December, and I said, “Give me a month and we’ll do it in January or February.” They didn’t want to do that. So they chose to fight Oscar De La Hoya. I said, “Go ahead and fight Oscar, and if you beat Oscar, then let’s get busy. Let’s do this.” He beat Oscar—he didn’t want to fight me.

He’s been turning me down. I hate when he continues to say, “Oh, he turned me down because of a tooth ache”. Yeah. I got head butted in that fight that and my tooth was loose that night. They asked me to fight Mayweather and I said, “Give me an extra month, and I’ll fight him.” He didn’t want to fight me, which was cool. He could go and fight Oscar because that’s more money. Okay. That’s cool, but after that fight if you win—fight me. He didn’t want to do that. He chose to retire or fight somebody else. I’m getting tired of that lie! They need to wipe that lie out of there. The reporters and stuff, they keep saying it, so that lie needs to be talked about.

Q: Now Shane, on a recent edition of On the Ropes Boxing Radio, I actually had a chance to speak with Floyd Mayweather Senior and I asked him who he thought would pose the toughest challenge to his son from 147 down, and he said, “Shane Mosley”. Style-wise, why do you think Floyd Senior views you as the biggest threat to his son?

I’m the biggest threat to anybody at the welterweight division. Nobody can beat me. He knows that. All the fighters know that. It’s just the writers and some of the fans that don’t really know. They’re undecided. I’m really pound for pound the best. I am the best, right now. They can’t beat me. Floyd can’t beat me, Manny Pacquiao can’t be me—I am the best at welterweight. That’s why I have to go up to junior middleweight and fight people up there because welterweight is my division. They can’t beat me. I’m the King of that division.

Q: Now changing things up a little bit, I’m just curious, what are your thoughts on the upcoming fight between Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto?

A: I think that’s going to be a lot better than the fight with Mayweather and Marquez. I know that Manny Pacquiao is real fast with movement, but I think Cotto tells a lot of the truth in this matter, that he is a real welterweight. He’s a real welterweight, he’s fought real welterweights, he’s been in the ring and he knows how to fight. He knows how to fight smaller guys better. He beat Zab Judah, who was a good southpaw, and he beat Carlos Quintana who is a southpaw and he beat them down. He knows how to fight smaller southpaws, so I think it’s going to be a good fight. It should be interesting.

Q: If a fight between you and Floyd does not materialize, would you be interested in taking on the winner of Pacquiao-Cotto?

A: Of course. Right now I gave Richard Shaffer the instructions to find somebody that wants to fight, and that’s sad because I’m the welterweight champion. I’m the number one guy. I told him just let me know what date I have, and I’ll show up, and let me know who is going to be in the ring so I can prepare. I don’t care.

Q: In your last fight, you looked spectacular in your winning effort against Antonio Margarito in a fight a lot of people thought you were going to lose. This was the first time you ever worked with Nazeem Richardson in your corner. Can you tell us a little bit about your experiences working with Richardson and what he was able to bring to the table in terms of helping your prepare for that fight?

A: Well me and Nazeem share the same views about boxing and the fight game. He’s truly a student of the sport, just like I am, so we clicked very well. We’ll go over different things and it’s like me watching myself outside the ring. It’s a perfect match for me and I really like everything he does.

Q: What are your thoughts on the entire controversy with the plaster of Paris found in Margarito’s gloves, and do you think this has overshadowed your victory in any way?

A: I think it definitely overshadowed the victory. Not to mention that, everybody that fought Margarito, Larry Merchant and others have said that he has an iron chin, never been knocked out, never really been knocked down or anything, and he walks through everybody. He walked through Cotto, he walked through Clottey and those guys were hitting him. In the first round, I hit him, and he backs up. Everybody knew my punching power. I have good punching power. They say, okay well he was hitting guys and stopping these different guys, but they couldn’t hit him and stop him, which I did. I should get credit for that.

Q: Throughout most of your career, you were trained by your father and you two obviously had a very close relationship.

A: We still do.

Q: That’s good. That’s great to hear, but do you think in some ways, though, that sticking with your father as a trainer for so long may have limited your growth as a fighter?

A: No. I think that sometimes people get a little stale. Sometimes in the fight game, you need someone to remind you. Both of us could be stale. I got stale, he got stale, and mentally, we were doing the same routines over and over again, but if you bring somebody else in that taught the game, too, it kind of makes you remember different things. Like, oh yeah, I remember, I used to do that and I used to do this, and it brings you back to life. That’s what’s happening to me, I’ve been brought back to life.

Q: Your fight with Margarito was almost a year ago now. Do you regret not having taken a “stay busy” fight now that so much time has passed since then?

A: I don’t know what “stay busy” fight was out there for me.

Q: Fair enough. Now you’re one of the few modern fighters who always dared to be great by wanting to prove yourself against the very best. When fighters like Vernon Forrest and Winky Wright were both stuck on the outside looking in, you gave them opportunities and you also demanded immediate rematches after each of those losses. What keeps you so driven to want to continue fighting the best, even now?

A: I love to fight. I think what’s been driving me is the doubt—the doubt of people thinking that I’m not the best, the doubt that different people have when discussing legendary fighters and I’m not put out there on that plateau like I was one of the best. I want the world to know that I’m not going anywhere. I’m going to clean the whole division out—all of the division! Until it is recognized that I am the best in this era, this is my era.

Q: To date, what would you consider the proudest moment of your career?

A: The proudest moment was winning my first title against Philip Holiday. Even though I was sick that night, I still won. That was one of the proudest days of my life, because it was something I accomplished that I wanted to accomplish as a kid, as a boy—being the lightweight champion of the world.

Q: I recently had a chance to speak with Sugar Ray Leonard, and I asked him about how he first started using the “Sugar” moniker and asked him what he thought of other fighters, like Ray Robinson and yourself, who also shared the same nickname. Ray Leonard said of you, “Shane carries the torch well”. I was wondering if you could tell the fans how you first started using the “Sugar” name, and perhaps you could also share your thoughts on fighters like Leonard and Robinson?

A: Well, the name was given to me. I never chose the name and said, “I’m going to be Sugar Shane”. It was given to me in the gym when I was younger. I think I was ten years old when I got the name. They used to call me “Little Sugar” because they said I fought like “Sugar Ray”. Sugar Ray Leonard, I fought like Sugar Ray Robinson, I was on my toes, moving, I was a classic fighter even back then. So when they announced me—even when I fought Oscar when I was twelve or thirteen—they announced me as “Sugar Shane Mosley”.

All through my whole life, that’s been my name. Sugar Ray told me yes, when I fought Margarito I carried the name very well and lived up to the moniker, and he was very proud of me. I met Sugar Ray Robinson a couple of times before he passed away, and talked to his wife. This was back, I was probably fourteen, and I said, “Yeah, my name is Sugar, too. I’m Sugar Shane”. His wife said, “Well you got to be good to be a ‘Sugar’. You got to train hard”, and I said, “Well I am”, and it went on from there even back then.

Both of these fighters had a great impact on my career. Sugar Ray Leonard, definitely. Sugar Ray Robinson with the movement, the charisma, the hidden power, and the speed, the flashiness of Sugar Ray Leonard, the movement and the charisma, as well. Sugar Ray Leonard, I probably followed a little more because that was more my era. I started boxing around 1979-1980, and Sugar Ray Leonard was in there fighting with guys like Roberto Duran at that time. I just loved—loved, loved, loved—the movement, the style, and the charisma of these guys.

Q: Shane, do you have any major regrets in your career, and if so what are they?

A: No regrets. I love what happened in my career, and I’m very happy and fortunate that there’s a lot of people in this world who were probably as good as I was and just didn’t get the proper break or the right break. I didn’t get my break until I fought for the world title when I was 23-0 with 22 knockouts. Some people never get that chance to showcase their skills. I’m just happy and fortunate that I’m still fighting right now, I’m still world champion. I’ve been fighting for thirty years now, and I’m still a threat and still the best in this era.

Q: One of the questions I have to ask you is, if you weren’t a boxer what do you think you would be?

A: If I wasn’t a boxer, there’s one thing that I wanted to do, but I knew I was too short, and that was be a basketball player. I love to play basketball. The other thing probably would have been an accountant, because I love dealing with numbers and math. I guess also anything dealing with outside work. I’m an outside/outdoors type of person.

Q: Shane, before all is said and done and you ultimately retire from professional boxing, what is it you would like to accomplish?

A: Well, I want to beat everybody in the division. I want to be proclaimed the best. I want to win the ‘pound-for-pound’ belt. After I finish that, then I would like to raise my son to be the next world champion and have the name live on. That would be my next goal: Training him and giving him all the tools that I have.

Q: Off topic, I am curious what your thoughts are on the fact that the long awaited rematch between Roy Jones Junior and Bernard Hopkins has finally been signed and how you see this fight going down?

A: I think it’s great for the sport. I mean, Roy Jones was definitely one of the best in this era and some consider him the best. Throughout the mid-90s, Roy Jones and Bernard, as well, were two of the best. They are two Hall of Fame fighters. It will be a great fight, and hopefully these guys can get what they want to out of this rematch.

Q: Now Shane, before I let you go, is there anything else you would like to say to all of your fans out at East Side Boxing?

A: Thanks for being great fans. Continue to watch, I’m only getting better and better in my older age. I think I’m getting younger, so stay tuned. I’m going to have three fights next year, scheduled, and I’m going to take care of business. Hopefully, in January, April, and November I’ll be fighting, and maybe Mayweather will be one of them.

I would like to thank Sugar Shane Mosley for his time and wish him the best of luck in all future endeavors both inside and outside the ring. As a boxing fan, I sincerely hope Mayweather steps up to the plate and accepts Mosley’s challenge. This is a fight the fans deserve to see.
ROLL DEEP
Shane is one of my favourite fighters.

He always fights well, fights hard, has given us some great, great fights and his resume is outstanding.

Nice lil' interview.
Lil-lightsout
Thanks for the interview. I willl sure miss him when he does retire. Always loved watching him fight, but am equally impressed how he carries himself outside the ring.
mrwigi
ive always loved mosley. he will fight just about anybody, just because he knows his greatness. i would love to see him fight pacman. i think he would lose the 1st round or 2, and then figure out a way to deal with his speed. i think if he fought floyd, he would almost force him to actually fight him. i cant say who would win, but it would definitely be a good fight.
leonthegee
blah blah blah mosley. always crying about shit. it's never my fault. i could of fought this guy. i didnt take this drug boo whoo. stop bitching.
provo
I don't believe any of this shit
The truth is Shane avoided Floyd because Floyd at that time wasn't a big money fight and now floyd is avoiding shane cause he's not a money fight!
That just sucks when athletes all they care about is money and that's starting to be the problem with sports !

I don't think there scared of eachother , yeah shane is talking his shit now and floyd isn't saying anything but what about when floyd was talking shit about shane ,saying "that's all shane is a sparring partner ,he's a bitch where's his wife let me talk 2 her cause she wears the pants in the relationship"

Its all about the money and that's what sucks for us fans!
JLUVBABY
while i feel mayweather was showed up in his interview with ra and has changed my feeling about him a lot i cant take what mosely says as gospel either.... one thing i can say is back when they where 130 and 135 respective mayweather tried to make that fight... mosley moved up to take the money vs hoya... i dont blame him... at the time hoya was the much bigger money fight for mosely.... plus mosely was fighting a bigger fighter... but what else is mosely gonna say?.. he's jocking for a money fight just like the next fighter.... he talks about mayweather going after a pac fight but if pac WAS to win and he (mosly) have a shot to fight him mosely would jump on that fight.... pac is a money fighter right now along with mayweather.... i say that to say this... does mayweather have sumthin to prove?.. hell yes he does but mosely is also a hypocrite cuzz he would take the pac fight in a heart beat... also sumthin else i noticed in the interview was when mosely was calling himself top dog he seems to forget his fight with cotto... if anybody is top dog at welterweight its not mosely... top dog is vacant if you wanna go off the guys thats actually fighting each other... you can argue that marg. beat cotto and mosely beat marg... but cotto beat mosely... you can say mosely would beat cotto in a rematch or whatever but they havent fought so thats just words... and the argument can be made that marg. cheated in the cotto fight... its my opinion that mosely has just as many questions as mayweather.... only thing not in question is mosely has fought much more solid comp since moving up... that for sure is not in question...
provo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 2 2009, 08:39 PM) *
There is one big difference. Shane was taking a money fight against a much bigger, dangerous and better opponent than Mayweather at the time and against a guy that fans wanted to see. Mayweather is taking money fights against smaller, weaker opposition that are not dangerous and fans don't want to see other than Mayweather fans. That's the bottom line.

Mayweather went up to 154 for a Big money fight had to wear custom made gloves, its all about the big fights it might suck but its the truth and how can u say fans don't want 2 see ,Mayweather vs oscar ,Floyd vs Hatton and Floyd vs Jmm did all great numbers so apparently someone wanted to see!
JPipe
QUOTE (provo @ Nov 2 2009, 08:46 PM) *
The truth is Shane avoided Floyd because Floyd at that time wasn't a big money fight and now floyd is avoiding shane cause he's not a money fight!
That just sucks when athletes all they care about is money and that's starting to be the problem with sports !

I don't think there scared of eachother , yeah shane is talking his shit now and floyd isn't saying anything but what about when floyd was talking shit about shane ,saying "that's all shane is a sparring partner ,he's a bitch where's his wife let me talk 2 her cause she wears the pants in the relationship"

shane never avoided floyd. show me where shane has said I WILL NOT FIGHT MAYWEATHER. every shane interview he talks about fighting floyd.
Vodoo
QUOTE (provo @ Nov 2 2009, 08:46 PM) *

Well you should believe it because it's true. Until this interview I'd forgotten all about Floyd's attempt to beat Monzon's record of title defenses. In fact I remember being surprised when Floyd moved up to 135 and basically abandonded that plan. Also had Mosley taken a PBF fight at the time he would have been criticised for fighting a rookie boxer who was smaller than him. Shane had 3 bigger fights on his plate (Oscar, Nazarov, Stevie Johnston) and nobody was discussing a Mosley-Floyd fight at the time. It had nothing to do with money, Floyd was no threat and not even considered a challenge to Shane at that time, and that is the main reason they didn't fight.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (provo @ Nov 3 2009, 02:46 AM) *

How would you say Shane stepping up to face the welterweight champion & one of the top P4P fighters at the time was avoiding a guy who was only on the hardcore fans radar & at 130 at that?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 2 2009, 09:39 PM) *
There is one big difference. Shane was taking a money fight against a much bigger, dangerous and better opponent than Mayweather at the time and against a guy that fans wanted to see. Mayweather is taking money fights against smaller, weaker opposition that are not dangerous and fans don't want to see other than Mayweather fans. That's the bottom line.

i actually stated mosely moved up to face a bigger fighter in my comment... lol...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Vodoo @ Nov 2 2009, 11:36 PM) *
Well you should believe it because it's true. Until this interview I'd forgotten all about Floyd's attempt to beat Monzon's record of title defenses. In fact I remember being surprised when Floyd moved up to 135 and basically abandonded that plan. Also had Mosley taken a PBF fight at the time he would have been criticised for fighting a rookie boxer who was smaller than him. Shane had 3 bigger fights on his plate (Oscar, Nazarov, Stevie Johnston) and nobody was discussing a Mosley-Floyd fight at the time. It had nothing to do with money, Floyd was no threat and not even considered a challenge to Shane at that time, and that is the main reason they didn't fight.

floyd was a threat and a dominant champ at the time... i wouldnt say he was to green for that fight as well... that was a solid fight that never took place at the time and should have taken place...
provo
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 3 2009, 04:42 AM) *
How would you say Shane stepping up to face the welterweight champion & one of the top P4P fighters at the time was avoiding a guy who was only on the hardcore fans radar & at 130 at that?

I said he avoided him cause there was more money to be made like a Fight with oscar ! Right??? He took the money and now Floyd is doing the same he took a fight with Oscar for the big payday as well right ??? Hatton was one of the best fighters in boxing at the time Floyd fought him ! Another money fight ! And came back to fight the Number 2 pound4pound fighter! Its all about the money is what im saying!
And imo floyd vs pac will happen its a money fight and boxing is now a business !
blackbelt2003
This is all pedantic and immaterial.

The fact is that Shane Mosley is the welterweight champion and the guy to beat.

Floyd Mayweather is at welterweight...why wouldn't he want to fight Mosley? Why wouldn't Floyd want to be the welterweight champion? If he has no intention in beating the champion of his division, then he should either change division or retire...simple!

And that goes for every welterweight. They're all scrabbling around to fight each other and the actual division no.1 is being avoided.

Pac-Cotto is a good fight and all...but why the fuck wouldn't they fight the champion? Why would two contenders prefer to take on each other instead of the actual champion of the division they purport to be in?

FIGHT SHANE MOSLEY, GODDAMIT!!!

Black
provo
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Nov 3 2009, 10:34 AM) *
This is all pedantic and immaterial.

The fact is that Shane Mosley is the welterweight champion and the guy to beat.

Floyd Mayweather is at welterweight...why wouldn't he want to fight Mosley? Why wouldn't Floyd want to be the welterweight champion? If he has no intention in beating the champion of his division, then he should either change division or retire...simple!

And that goes for every welterweight. They're all scrabbling around to fight each other and the actual division no.1 is being avoided.

Pac-Cotto is a good fight and all...but why the fuck wouldn't they fight the champion? Why would two contenders prefer to take on each other instead of the actual champion of the division they purport to be in?

FIGHT SHANE MOSLEY, GODDAMIT!!!

Black

Cause is about money now ,and that's the problem with sports! And I thought there wasn't a official 147 champ ! I could be wrong but I thought no one was the officail champ.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (provo @ Nov 3 2009, 04:55 PM) *
I said he avoided him cause there was more money to be made like a Fight with oscar ! Right??? He took the money and now Floyd is doing the same he took a fight with Oscar for the big payday as well right ??? Hatton was one of the best fighters in boxing at the time Floyd fought him ! Another money fight ! And came back to fight the Number 2 pound4pound fighter! Its all about the money is what im saying!
And imo floyd vs pac will happen its a money fight and boxing is now a business !

Lets see what does more for your legacy?

Beating a prime genuine crossover superstar & becoming a 2 division undefeated champion?

or

Fighting a guy no one has heard of who fights in bingo halls in Grand Rapids with absolutely no career or financial upside?

As for Floyd fighting the #2 P4P fighter that may have some relevance if it was a even or somewhat even fight but Marquez was climbing ridiculously high in weight & Floyd just weighed in at what he felt like. A complete farce of a fight & one FLoyd actually loses credit for making.
jlupi
dble post
jlupi
Cause is about money now ,and that's the problem with sports!>>>

no its about maximizing money and minimizing risk. at least for floyd.

I dont care if he fights the easy money good matchmaking fights here and there. But if your calling yourself the best fight the best fighters in your division also.

in 1999 floyd was just making his move having beaten hernandez and manfready in a lower weight class. mosely was moved up two weight classes to fight a young delahoya for big money. around 2002 shane lost to vernon and mayweather was really hitting stride fighting diego and castillo. (again in lower weight class)

Now there in the same weight class. Shane is champ floyd should fight him.

I still think he fights a damaged and aging spinks so he says he beat a bigger guy than shane and add another world title without fighting a threat. LOL
Vodoo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 3 2009, 08:47 AM) *
floyd was a threat and a dominant champ at the time... i wouldnt say he was to green for that fight as well... that was a solid fight that never took place at the time and should have taken place...
Just like Floyd, you can say it as often as you like but that doesn't make it true. At the time nobody believed Floyd was a threat to Sugar Shane and nobody was pinning for that fight. All everyone was talking about back then was Shane fighting Stevie Johnston or Orzabek Nazarov who were two other very good and dominating lightweight champions at the same time that Shane was. Stop spreading Floyd's lies because that's all they are. I still have all of my Ring magazines and Mosley fights that discuss this kind of stuff during post fight interviews and magazine columns. And another of the big things back then was Floyd's insistence on beating Monzon's record which he seemed to forget all about once Shane was safely at welterweight. Before that he didn't want to move up to 135 because he wanted to break the titles defense record at 130.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (provo @ Nov 3 2009, 09:14 PM) *
Cause is about money now ,and that's the problem with sports! And I thought there wasn't a official 147 champ ! I could be wrong but I thought no one was the officail champ.

Yup, and your boy Floyd Mayweather ain't helping, is he?

And, technically, there are three welterweight titlists (Mosley, Berto and Hlatshwayo, some would include Cotto's WBO trinket, too), but everyone who knows boxing (including Floyd, but he wouldn't admit it), knows that Mosley is the fucking man at welterweight.

Any welterweight who doesn't want to fight Mosley for the no.1 spot is either chicken, retarded, blatantly puts money before honour or is simply not good enough.

Black
torvix2000
torvix2000
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 4 2009, 09:49 AM) *
Did you make that torvix?

Of course not. Don't know a thing about Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Premiere, After Effects, Maya, etc.
JPipe
still waiting on someone to tell me when has shane ever said I WILL NOT FIGHT FLOYD
kingknockout
QUOTE (JPipe @ Nov 4 2009, 12:58 PM) *
still waiting on someone to tell me when has shane ever said I WILL NOT FIGHT FLOYD

still waiting for someone to tell me when has shane ever said I WILL FIGHT FLOYD
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Nov 4 2009, 12:26 PM) *
still waiting for someone to tell me when has shane ever said I WILL FIGHT FLOYD

Guess you missed the PBF-JMM post fight in ring proposal. Or countless interviews Shane wanting to fight Floyd.
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Nov 4 2009, 03:49 AM) *
Yup, and your boy Floyd Mayweather ain't helping, is he?

And, technically, there are three welterweight titlists (Mosley, Berto and Hlatshwayo, some would include Cotto's WBO trinket, too), but everyone who knows boxing (including Floyd, but he wouldn't admit it), knows that Mosley is the fucking man at welterweight.

Any welterweight who doesn't want to fight Mosley for the no.1 spot is either chicken, retarded, blatantly puts money before honour or is simply not good enough.

Black

sweetscientist1
Mosley is far from the man. First of all he's been running from Floyd for years. Do your homework. Yes Floyd was wholly interested in setting records at 130lbs. No doubt. But he called out Floyd on numerous occasions since 99. Where the hell have u been? Pay attention or do you spend all your cash on MMA. Also, Andre Berto? Who the hell is Andre Berto? Yes he's a dam fine Welterweight prospect, but he wouldn't even do 150000 pay per views behind that fight. Now that PBF is the man, Shane deserves the same treatment that he dished out for 8 years. fighters who go undefeated in their entire careers are the fighters who set the precedents for accepting fights in the sport. That goes back to Jack Johnson. If Shane wants Mayweather, do these 3 things: 1. Shut the hell up. 2. woop Berto. 3. Force PBF Floyd to fight you because there's no other option. Oh and by the way, test negative for roids in a title fight.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Nov 4 2009, 02:21 PM) *
Mosley is far from the man. First of all he's been running from Floyd for years. Do your homework. Yes Floyd was wholly interested in setting records at 130lbs. No doubt. But he called out Floyd on numerous occasions since 99. Where the hell have u been? Pay attention or do you spend all your cash on MMA. Also, Andre Berto? Who the hell is Andre Berto? Yes he's a dam fine Welterweight prospect, but he wouldn't even do 150000 pay per views behind that fight. Now that PBF is the man, Shane deserves the same treatment that he dished out for 8 years. fighters who go undefeated in their entire careers are the fighters who set the precedents for accepting fights in the sport. That goes back to Jack Johnson. If Shane wants Mayweather, do these 3 things: 1. Shut the hell up. 2. woop Berto. 3. Force PBF Floyd to fight you because there's no other option. Oh and by the way, test negative for roids in a title fight.

Nah, Mosley is too big and strong for Floyd to accept. PBF is only looking to fight lightweights and jr. lightweights. Mayweather is nothing but a fucking coward. He is a disgrace to this sport. Looking for any lame excuse to avoid a challenge. His fans are just as delusional as him.
JD
Wait...someone really said that?

LOL

Does this count?

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 4 2009, 05:54 PM) *
Hahaha. Unbelievable.

I know, it is amazing. But like JD stated numerous times already...it's because they are Floyd fans, not really boxing fans(something like that).
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Vodoo @ Nov 4 2009, 01:18 AM) *
Just like Floyd, you can say it as often as you like but that doesn't make it true. At the time nobody believed Floyd was a threat to Sugar Shane and nobody was pinning for that fight. All everyone was talking about back then was Shane fighting Stevie Johnston or Orzabek Nazarov who were two other very good and dominating lightweight champions at the same time that Shane was. Stop spreading Floyd's lies because that's all they are. I still have all of my Ring magazines and Mosley fights that discuss this kind of stuff during post fight interviews and magazine columns. And another of the big things back then was Floyd's insistence on beating Monzon's record which he seemed to forget all about once Shane was safely at welterweight. Before that he didn't want to move up to 135 because he wanted to break the titles defense record at 130.

im not saying the fight should have been made then cuzz lil floyd says it should have been made then ands thats why he wont fight him now, im saying it cuzz that would have been a very solid fight at the time and a better fight then, then it would be now no matter the outcome... imho... you say nobody bellieved floyd was a threat, who is nobody?... you?... floyd would have been a better fight than both johnston and nazarov combined... floyd was an established fighter by this time and that fight was heating up, specially if you was a die hard fan at the time cuzz it was obvious NOBODY was beating lil floyd at 130... now let me make this point, im neither a die hard fan of either fighter so lets get that straight cuzz from what you write you seem to think i am a die hard fan of mayweather.... you wouldnt have even brought up monzons record had mosely not brought it up in that jack legged interview... like i said both fighters have an agenda... they are both going to angle what they say to make themselves look like the man, when the actual man may not be either of them but cotto... cotto has beat mosely once aleady and i think he beats mayweather if they fought... mosely cant call himself the man when he has lost to cotto even tho he beat marg... how can he, he still lost to cotto?... in my opinion he would need to show he can beat cotto should cotto beat pac to make that claim... welterweight title in my opinion is vacant with claimants lookin to grab it... mosely is chasing a big fight and unless pac (if he gets past cotto which i doubt) picks him as an opponent mayweather is his biggest payday, which is why all of a sudden that is such an important fight to mosely... imo... fact of the matter is they both make a good point about the fight happening/not happening... i can underdstand both sides of the coin... would i like to see the fight as a fan?... hell yes!!!! but there are million dollar egos on both sides and the thing is if they dont fight now pretty soon there will be no one else to make a mega fight with except each other... floyd aint fighting who he should but at the same time, regardless of what anyone thinks about this looks like shane is fighting berto in january and hes not guarenteed to win that fight regardless of people thinking hes locked to win and pac is really up against it in cotto.... for the pac fans news flash cotto is not a shot fighter... pac has a very serious fight on his hands... lets say pac wins... just as mosely took the money back in the day and fought hoya what do you think mayweather is gonna do?... and its a mega mega fight something a mayweather mosely fight wouldnt be... may is gonna take the money... fucked up situation for mosely but thats pretty much what it is... his best bet is to STAY ACTIVE and KEEP WINNING and wait for the dust to settle... through no fault of his own hes locked out unless arum stays true to his word and makes him pacs next opponent SHOULD PAC WIN... thing is a pac mayweather fight is so huge i dont see arum putting pac in against mosely and risking burning the kind of money a pac mayweather fight would bring... just my opinion on the subject...
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 4 2009, 06:03 PM) *
Wait...someone really said that?

LOL

Does this count?

NO it doesn't. This is 10 years after the fact. Floyd tried to make this fight 2x's. 99 and they came closer in 03 and it didn't happen. Now Shane wants a payday because he can't do more than 100000 pay per views without Oscar. Shane is done and he'll never get a shot against the real champ. Money Mayweather. Shane doesn't deserve it. hey Shane, can u say Berto? 85000 payper views. 2.5 M. Good nite now!
JD
Ok...so Shane didn't say he wants to fight Floyd right there? Shane is not deserving, yet all of the following guys are:

Ricky Hatton
Oscar Dela Hoya
Carlos Baldomir
Zab Judah
Sharmba Mitchell
Arturo Gatti
Henry Bruseles
DeMarcus Corley
Phillip N'dou
Victoriano Sosa

Got it.

Side note, Mosley either has or does beat ANYONE on that list...some brutally.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 4 2009, 08:16 PM) *
Ok...so Shane didn't say he wants to fight Floyd right there? Shane is not deserving, yet all of the following guys are:

Ricky Hatton
Oscar Dela Hoya
Carlos Baldomir
Zab Judah
Sharmba Mitchell
Arturo Gatti
Henry Bruseles
DeMarcus Corley
Phillip N'dou
Victoriano Sosa

Got it.

Side note, Mosley either has or does beat EVERYONE on that list...some brutally.

both fighters are on record at some point in time saying they want to fight the other.... i think the problem is, the real problem, is they have both been primed for bigger money fights at the time either has wanted the fight...
JD
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 4 2009, 09:27 PM) *
both fighters are on record at some point in time saying they want to fight the other.... i think the problem is, the real problem, is they have both been primed for bigger money fights at the time either has wanted the fight...

I don't think coming back against Marquez was a bigger money fight than Mosley...and at this moment, they both are available - and the fight has never been bigger. If Floyd is waiting on Cotto - Pacquiao, that's fine...say it.
JPipe
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Nov 4 2009, 09:15 PM) *
NO it doesn't. This is 10 years after the fact. Floyd tried to make this fight 2x's. 99 and they came closer in 03 and it didn't happen. Now Shane wants a payday because he can't do more than 100000 pay per views without Oscar. Shane is done and he'll never get a shot against the real champ. Money Mayweather. Shane doesn't deserve it. hey Shane, can u say Berto? 85000 payper views. 2.5 M. Good nite now!

ytf do floyd fans always run to ppv numbers to try and save their arguements?

ima a fight fan not a ppv fan. 9x10 i will get all the fights so i dont give a fuck about ppv numbers. kimbo slice has better numbers than anderson silva does that make him better?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 4 2009, 08:30 PM) *
I don't think coming back against Marquez was a bigger money fight than Mosley...and at this moment, they both are available - and the fight has never been bigger. If Floyd is waiting on Cotto - Pacquiao, that's fine...say it.

personally i cant blame mayweather for fighting marquez first fight back.... even ali came back and fought quarry.... at the moment they are not both available... boxrec shows mosley set to face berto... and truth is mosely is a dangerous fight.... rather he says it or not mayweather is holding out for the outcome of pac cotto... heres the question tho... should cotto win... what fight is bigger may mosely or cotto may at msg peurto rican day next summer?... mosely might be out again...
JD
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 4 2009, 09:38 PM) *
personally i cant blame mayweather for fighting marquez first fight back.... even ali came back and fought quarry.... at the moment they are not both available... boxrec shows mosley set to face berto... and truth is mosely is a dangerous fight.... rather he says it or not mayweather is holding out for the outcome of pac cotto... heres the question tho... should cotto win... what fight is bigger may mosely or cotto may at msg peurto rican day next summer?... mosely might be out again...

LOL...Mosley has been available all year. He has yet to sign with Berto, and he even said "If Floyd wants the fight I will fight him, if not I will take the Berto fight."

Floyd and Mosley aren't sharing a ring right now, but it certainly is not because Shane isn't available. He is very available. But you said it, Mosley is a dangerous fight...that's it in a nutshell.

And let me be the first to tell you, If Cotto beats Pac, there is NO WAY Mayweather is figthing him at MSG on the night before the PR parade. Vegas or no fight...bank on it.
JPipe
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 4 2009, 09:38 PM) *

not who is the bigger fight but the question is will floyd make it happen?

to think about it fighting cotto in new york on the prdp is a floyd move. he knows it will sale out and he will act like its b/c of him.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 4 2009, 08:41 PM) *
LOL...Mosley has been available all year. He has yet to sign with Berto, and he even said "If Floyd wants the fight I will fight him, if not I will take the Berto fight."

Floyd and Mosley aren't sharing a ring right now, but it certainly is not because Shane isn't available. He is very available. But you said it, Mosley is a dangerous fight...that's it in a nutshell.

And let me be the first to tell you, If Cotto beats Pac, there is NO WAY Mayweather is figthing him at MSG on the night before the PR parade. Vegas or no fight...bank on it.

im not taking up for mayweather but from the money standpoint i think i just answered this for you... mayweather is holding off to see what happens with the pac fight... mosely is a high risk fight with less rewards than a pac fight with possibly the same risk... from a buisness stand point i dont blame mayweather for waiting... as a fan yes id like to see the fight... this is not rocket science... at this stage of the game its all about the money.... pac is the mega money fight and im sure hes waiting and hoping pac wins... now what happens after that is all on may i cant answer that im not in his camp... judging by his interview with ra i can come up with several conclusions on what would happen next should may beat pac...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JPipe @ Nov 4 2009, 08:43 PM) *
not who is the bigger fight but the question is will floyd make it happen?

to think about it fighting cotto in new york on the prdp is a floyd move. he knows it will sale out and he will act like its b/c of him.

you talk like cotto is not a dangerous fight for floyd.... cotto did beat mosely... and from a fighters point of view isnt the name of the game to make the most money.... as a fan our p.o.v is to see the best fights... imma say it like this if the role was reversed i doubt mosely fights mayweather before taking the pac fight.... just my opinion on that...
JD
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 4 2009, 09:49 PM) *
im not taking up for mayweather but from the money standpoint i think i just answered this for you... mayweather is holding off to see what happens with the pac fight... mosely is a high risk fight with less rewards than a pac fight with possibly the same risk... from a buisness stand point i dont blame mayweather for waiting... as a fan yes id like to see the fight... this is not rocket science... at this stage of the game its all about the money.... pac is the mega money fight and im sure hes waiting and hoping pac wins... now what happens after that is all on may i cant answer that im not in his camp... judging by his interview with ra i can come up with several conclusions on what would happen next should may beat pac...

I blame him for waiting because that is all he has done since the Castillo rematch. He calls himself the king at welter, or worse - the best ever, yet refuses to fight any of the top welters.

The Pac fight is huge and I am all for it, I just cannot make excuses for the guy when he has not fought a welter in his last 3 fights, one of which was a jr welter and the other a lightweight...and the ones before that were less than legendary.

Mosley, Cotto, Margarito and Clottey have all gotten together in some way, shape or form...yet the guy who claims to be the king of the division they fight in has not fought one of them. Don't you have a problem with that as a boxing fan? Don't you want to see these fights?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 4 2009, 08:52 PM) *
I blame him for waiting because that is all he has done since the Castillo rematch. He calls himself the king at welter, or worse - the best ever, yet refuses to fight any of the top welters.

The Pac fight is huge and I am all for it, I just cannot make excuses for the guy when he has not fought a welter in his last 3 fights, one of which was a jr welter and the other a lightweight...and the ones before that were less than legendary.

Mosley, Cotto, Margarito and Clottey have all gotten together in some way, shape or form...yet the guy who claims to be the king of the division they fight in has not fought one of them. Don't you have a problem with that as a boxing fan? Don't you want to see these fights?

first of all i have to address the dont i want to see these fights question.... of course i want to see those fights but the fact mayweather hasnt fought any of them dont have anything to do with why mayweather didnt come back and fight mosely or isnt fighting mosely next fight out... for me to be real with you i dont see mosely as the man in the division to beat... i see cotto as more the man than any other fighter in the division... he is the guy that has fought and beat everyone in his way unless you are one of the guys that consider the marg. fight a legit win after what we know about him... i do agree with you how ever that mayweather should not be calling himself top dog at welter cuzz he hasnt done shit to deserve the title... but like i said before mosely has an agenda just like every other top fighter and he is playing his card just like lil floyd is playin his... shane knows (has an idea) how the pac fight is going to end up.... hes been in there with cotto.... let me ask you this... who would you rather see fight lil floyd if pac indeed goes out and waxes cotto like he did hatton?
JD
I didn't say you don't want to see them...I just said don't you want to.

I already said that I am all for the Pac fight, but at the same time I don't give Floyd a pass for not sharing a ring with any of the top welters. When you look at who he has fought since the Castillo rematch, with all the talent he has and the countless proclamations of witnessing true greatness, it falls well short. Somehow no one is worthy of a fight with the guy, yet when he chooses someone who is less of a challenge, he goes on and on about how tough of a fight he is taking.

It's just tired.
STEVENSKI
JD is hitting homers out the park these days.
JPipe
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 4 2009, 09:52 PM) *
you talk like cotto is not a dangerous fight for floyd.... cotto did beat mosely... and from a fighters point of view isnt the name of the game to make the most money.... as a fan our p.o.v is to see the best fights... imma say it like this if the role was reversed i doubt mosely fights mayweather before taking the pac fight.... just my opinion on that...

cotto is dangerous but if floyd have to choose shane or cotto he will pick cotto on prd & act like the people their b/c of him.
JD
And I am not in any way being negative about Floyd's skills or ability.

The guys act is just tired, and he has some fans that are just clueless...the first fight they saw was the night he fought Goldie, and they think Floyd's version of reality is gospel. They are Floyd fans...not boxing fans...that's not all of them, but man, it's a lot of them

"Legacy don't pay the bills"...for all Floyd's talk about greatness, and being the best ever, he somehow has taken the approach that he doesn't need to prove it. His skills speak for themselves, testing them is nothing more than an exercise in futility for his opponents because he is that good - so to anyone at his weight who might actually be a threat...sorry, you can kindly go fuck yourself, because you are not worthy.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JPipe @ Nov 4 2009, 09:57 PM) *
cotto is dangerous but if floyd have to choose shane or cotto he will pick cotto on prd & act like the people their b/c of him.

what does that have to do with who is the better style match up or better fighter for floyd to be fighting?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 4 2009, 09:42 PM) *
I didn't say you don't want to see them...I just said don't you want to.

I already said that I am all for the Pac fight, but at the same time I don't give Floyd a pass for not sharing a ring with any of the top welters. When you look at who he has fought since the Castillo rematch, with all the talent he has and the countless proclamations of witnessing true greatness, it falls well short. Somehow no one is worthy of a fight with the guy, yet when he chooses someone who is less of a challenge, he goes on and on about how tough of a fight he is taking.

It's just tired.

of course i want to see floyd fight any of those guys... a few of those guys... i dont think from what ive said ive given floyd a pass but i do believe like i said i can see both sides when floy vs mosely is concerned.... there is a bigger fight for floyd to be made... is it a more dangerous fight?... i tell you what IF pac goes out and blows out cotto like some seem to think he will (not me)... hell yeah... in the general publics eye that had better be the next fight.... like i asked you earlier if pac blows out cotto which fight should mayweather take?.. im asking your opinion.. you never answered that in your last responce...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.