Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 24/7 and it's impact
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
Not sure what everybody else thinks, but I feel that 24/7 has made a HUGE impact of the way PPV's sell these days. I couldn't imagine fights like Pacquiao-Hatton, Mayweather-Hatton or Mayweather-Marquez doing as well as they did lets say 5-10 years ago.
On the same note, how much more of an impact would it have made if Tyson-Holyfield/Lewis DLH-Trinidad/Mosley/Hopkins/Vargas had 24/7? I think the series has been great for the sport and I'm not sure if people feel it makes as big of a difference as me. But I could imagine Tyson-Holyfield/Lewis or DLH/Trinidad could have exceeded 2 million comfortably in this day and age.
Thoughts?
D-MARV
Could you imagine a 24/7 with Tyson in it?

Imagine the build up to Tyson/Holyfield 2... How about Holmes-Cooney?
Snoop
24/7 made casual fans think Mayweather vs Marquez was going to be a war. It definitely knows how to sell a fight, even the mismatches.
Mean Mister Mustard
I think it helps tremendously and I can only imagine what it would have done for a Holyfield-Tyson fight. Hell, that might have been picked up by mainstream TV.

That being said, the 24/7 series does not guarantee success. So far it has worked because it includes big names but remember that it didn't seem to do much good for Calsaghe-Jones.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Nov 4 2009, 03:20 AM) *
Could you imagine a 24/7 with Tyson in it?

Imagine the build up to Tyson/Holyfield 2... How about Holmes-Cooney?

Holmes vs Cooney would be insane!!

Wow the bigots would come out of the woodwork then.
kidbazooka1
Any Tyson 24/7 would have been must see TV.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 3 2009, 10:05 PM) *
Holmes vs Cooney would be insane!!

Wow the bigots would come out of the woodwork then.

I was thinking the same exact thing..
JonnyBlaze
Corrales/Castillo would of been an awesome 24/7 series,don't care what anyone says..Corrales/Casamayor 1 or 2 would of been a good series too..I am a huge fan of Corrales and also a fan of Casamayor..All those fights ended up being what we all thought they would be..Corrales/Casamayor 2 might of been a let down to some though..

Halger/Hearns 24/7!!!!!!!!Talk about crazy..
King Eugene
The best 24/7's involved some form or controversy outside of the ring. Not anything HBO told them to do to make it interesting. They ought to have a 24/7 fall season on Mike Tyson alone. He don't even have to fight anybody and he was have major ratings.
Method
My God a 24/7 for Hopkins and Trinidad would have been THE SHIT. MaxBoxing killed it w coverage for that fight. I can only imagine what an HBO production and 24/7 would have been like. The build up for it was sick.
ROLL DEEP
Any fight involving Mayorga, Tyson, Toney or Hopkins would've been brilliant.

Mayorga says some wild shit, Toney never shuts up, Tyson is just a fruit loop and Hopkins knows how to get under peoples skin...all the makings for a classic 24/7 no matter who they were fighting.
The Original MrFactor
I guess I'm the only one who isnt really crazy about 24/7. It seemed a bit gimmicky and in my opinion, has run its course. All the hoopla in each episode can be toned down into 2minutes of substance. Most of the fights, I was going to buy regardless of 24/7. 24/7 is decent as a filler in between episodes of The Brady Bunch. I'm just not feeling it anymore. BTW, Ali/Frazier would have been a 24/7 to watch...
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Nov 4 2009, 05:36 PM) *
I guess I'm the only one who isnt really crazy about 24/7. It seemed a bit gimmicky and in my opinion, has run its course. All the hoopla in each episode can be toned down into 2minutes of substance. Most of the fights, I was going to buy regardless of 24/7. 24/7 is decent as a filler in between episodes of The Brady Bunch. I'm just not feeling it anymore. BTW, Ali/Frazier would have been a 24/7 to watch...

I know what you're saying, but to the non-boxing fan, 24/7 get's them amped for it. The non-boxing fan likes all the behind the scenes stories and learning about the fighters.

I actually enjoy it too, but even if Manny and Cotto both said they were going to make this the most boring fight ever, we'd all still watch it.

Boxing fans don't need 24/7.....but it still does help sell a fight.
D-MARV
Any 24/7 with Ali in it would have been Great!
BigG
Ali-Frazier, Ali-Foreman, Ali-Liston would've been great...

And like Bazooka said...any 24/7 with Tyson in it..

Hopkins-Trinidad...

fuck it we'll go all the way back to fuckin Jack Johnson-Jim Jeffries...with all the racial tension...now THAT would've been a great 24/7 laugh.gif
yuca
hey, it's getting the females to watch it and get into boxing more, they love reality shows.
STEVENSKI
I refuse to watch any 24/7. It is scripted & fake + you get no insight into the fighter at all. Waste of time.
MarzB
This is off the top of the head. Here are some facts (my numbers may be off which I guess would render my last statement untrue,lol)

There have been I believe six 24/7s put together since '07

DLH/Mayweather = 2 mill buys
Mayweather/Hatton 900k domestic / 1.1 UK (not sure if 24/7 was shown there but I'm certain it was)
DLH/Pacquiao - 1.1 mill buys
Hatton/Pacquiao- 900K
Mayweather/Marquez - 1 million

I purposely left out one but you guys already probably figured it out. That said, it seems to help and I say it's worth the promotional effort more than not but..

Jones/Calzaghe - 200-300K sad.gif definitely doesn't mean it'll totally sell. Mind you Roy Jones is still a very recognizable name. On paper that looked like a great matchup.

To me HBO should still produce 24's but put them on SPIKE, ESPN2, something because right now the only way you'll get it is if you're an HBO subscribers and those seem few and far between at times..

To the naysayers of 24/7, you all do realize that you have to create a package that the casual fan wants to see right?? I'm a huge fan of watching training sessions and will watch them all day. But the average fan doesn't want to see mitt drills, bag hitting all the time. There is a reason outside of fantasy football that the NFL is the top dog in American sports. We know (unfortunately) who Tom Brady is married to. Who Romo goes out with, that Sanchez is proud to represent the Hispanic community, why Polomalu wears his hair like that, etc... This stuff sells the game overall.

Heck when boxing was the big game in town we knew about Ray Leonard and Ray Jr, Mancini and his pops, Aaron Pryor's hard upbringing, I don't even need to mention the guy with the tat on his face.

The point is, this stuff sells boxing but they could be doing it even better.
provo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 3 2009, 06:16 PM) *
Not sure what everybody else thinks, but I feel that 24/7 has made a HUGE impact of the way PPV's sell these days. I couldn't imagine fights like Pacquiao-Hatton, Mayweather-Hatton or Mayweather-Marquez doing as well as they did lets say 5-10 years ago.
On the same note, how much more of an impact would it have made if Tyson-Holyfield/Lewis DLH-Trinidad/Mosley/Hopkins/Vargas had 24/7? I think the series has been great for the sport and I'm not sure if people feel it makes as big of a difference as me. But I could imagine Tyson-Holyfield/Lewis or DLH/Trinidad could have exceeded 2 million comfortably in this day and age.
Thoughts?

I agree with you Fitz finally LOL, a Tyson vs Lewis one would have been good ! LOL
provo
Well Don King and Tyson are boys again FITZ we might get a Tyson/Hollyfield 24/7!LOL It would be HUGE ,

I think they should put a 24/7 series on CBS it would attract lot more people,I mean not everyone has HBO ,shit I don't, I order HBO only the months of a24/7 series LOL then when its over I call and cancel HBO LOL!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MarzB @ Nov 6 2009, 12:33 AM) *
To the naysayers of 24/7, you all do realize that you have to create a package that the casual fan wants to see right?? I'm a huge fan of watching training sessions and will watch them all day. But the average fan doesn't want to see mitt drills, bag hitting all the time. There is a reason outside of fantasy football that the NFL is the top dog in American sports. We know (unfortunately) who Tom Brady is married to. Who Romo goes out with, that Sanchez is proud to represent the Hispanic community, why Polomalu wears his hair like that, etc... This stuff sells the game overall.

Heck when boxing was the big game in town we knew about Ray Leonard and Ray Jr, Mancini and his pops, Aaron Pryor's hard upbringing, I don't even need to mention the guy with the tat on his face.

The point is, this stuff sells boxing but they could be doing it even better.

I don't disagree with you Marz which is why I said

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 5 2009, 11:11 PM) *
I refuse to watch any 24/7. It is scripted & fake + you get no insight into the fighter at all. Waste of time.

For me 24/7 is a waste of time. I don't care about charity work or how much they bet on a basketball game I just wanna see them get it on & go to war. I can see how the general public needs the drama & personalities to get them interested in buying a fight & to root for the good guy or bad guy etc.
torvix2000
If you're not a real fan and got duped by 24/7 Gayweather-Marquez into believing the fight is not a mismatch, will you believe another 24/7 again?

24/7 might backfire.
Snoop
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Nov 6 2009, 03:07 AM) *
If you're not a real fan and got duped by 24/7 Gayweather-Marquez into believing the fight is not a mismatch, will you believe another 24/7 again?

24/7 might backfire.

24/7 is geared towards casual fans or fans newly introduced to the sport. Us "real" fans already knew it was a mismatch but would probably pay to see it anyways.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Nov 4 2009, 04:11 PM) *
Any fight involving Mayorga, Tyson, Toney or Hopkins would've been brilliant.

Mayorga says some wild shit, Toney never shuts up, Tyson is just a fruit loop and Hopkins knows how to get under peoples skin...all the makings for a classic 24/7 no matter who they were fighting.

Toney/Hopkins!!That would be intense..

24/7 brings boxing to the casual fans or non fans..It also is a good behind the scene look for us and shows Pac-man and Cotto THE MAN,not just the fighter..These 24/7 episode bring extra drama to the fight for the fans..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (provo @ Nov 5 2009, 08:20 PM) *
Well Don King and Tyson are boys again FITZ we might get a Tyson/Hollyfield 24/7!LOL It would be HUGE ,

I think they should put a 24/7 series on CBS it would attract lot more people,I mean not everyone has HBO ,shit I don't, I order HBO only the months of a24/7 series LOL then when its over I call and cancel HBO LOL!

Tyson/Holyfield would be a fun series only because of Holyfield..Tyson wouldn't be doing any of his crazy shit..

Also,you're crazy for ordering HBO months at a time..hahaha..That's extreme..haha..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 5 2009, 05:11 PM) *

You don't like seeing the fighters train??That was the main reason I was so excited for 24/7 when the series first began..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Nov 6 2009, 09:31 AM) *
You don't like seeing the fighters train??That was the main reason I was so excited for 24/7 when the series first began..

I do but it just all seems fake like a PPV contender if you like.
MarzB
I know this, "PacMan" (Manny's dog) must be going ape schit right now from being stuck in a case for 14 hours,lol.
Lil-lightsout
I like 24/7 alot. I am a boxing junkie, and this just gets me more amped before a big fight. I will take any coverage of elite boxers, rather than no coverage at all.

I know I am in the minority here, but I would love to see a Toney/Klit(either one) 24/7.
MarzB
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Nov 6 2009, 02:31 PM) *
I like 24/7 alot. I am a boxing junkie, and this just gets me more amped before a big fight. I will take any coverage of elite boxers, rather than no coverage at all.

I know I am in the minority here, but I would love to see a Toney/Klit(either one) 24/7.

Toney would be hilarious on a 24/7. I can't think of the clip (and I saw it on youtube) but Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank were in the studio in England one time talking about their fight. Then they remoted in James Toney and he let loose. Mind you this was a prime James and he was in rare rare forum.

It was great.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (MarzB @ Nov 6 2009, 02:37 PM) *
Toney would be hilarious on a 24/7. I can't think of the clip (and I saw it on youtube) but Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank were in the studio in England one time talking about their fight. Then they remoted in James Toney and he let loose. Mind you this was a prime James and he was in rare rare forum.

It was great.

Damn. That's crazy, cause I never even heard about that. Thanks, will check that out.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (MarzB @ Nov 6 2009, 02:37 PM) *

It was great.

Just watched it. Man that was real old. Toney was crazy, he looked like he wanted to kill someone. Eubank was such a baby, I thought he was going to cry. Good stuff.
BigG
That was hilarious "Fighters in England...they all bums....bunch of women over there..bunch of mommas boys" Typical Toney schoolyard trash talk
MarzB
Told ya,lol. James is classic and he doesn't sound rehearsed at all which makes it even better.
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 3 2009, 09:16 PM) *
Thoughts?

You're absolutely correct. It brings the viewers into the lives of the fighters and people like the inside access. It makes them feel somewhat in the know. MMA has been doing something similar with all the vignettes they run on the Spike channel and it appears to be working. HBO is truly great at producing sports documentaries. They are always shot, written, and edited very well. It's one of the reason that I fork over money for most of their PPV's. I love what they've done for the sport. They do have a habit of being bais, which they dont hide well, but it comes with the territory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.