Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Williams' opponent Dec. 5 - Why not Clottey?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
As much time as has passed since Pavlik pulled out of the fight with Williams, you would think that there would be a replacement fighter picked by now. Clottey at 154 seems to be the most likely choice as I'm sure HBO would love it and Clottey needs some redemption. The fight makes sense, but with HBO putting Arreola on the undercard I'm afraid HBO is going to want to make this a showcase night for both fighters.

This reminds me of Lewis-Klit when Lewis was supposed to fight Johnson, Johnson pulled out and Lewis agreed to fight the much better fighter in Vitali (who was scheduled to be on the undercard that night). It was obvious from his weight that Lewis hadn't trained for a serious fight, but he took the stiffer challenge anyway. I'd love to see that from Williams. I can't think of a reason that Arum would turn this fight down.
PR316
My understanding was that Clottey turned down over 650,000 or something to that extent.

I would love to see it.
Michigan Assassin
I'd much rather see the Martinez fight.

I like Clottey but I think Williams Martinez is a much more exciting fight.

I just wish is was for a title at 154 instead of 160.
Lil-lightsout
I would much rather see Clottey than Martinez. Martinez is pretty boring from what I have seen, Clottey would make a more entertaining scrap IMO.
BigG
Clottey is a more competitive fight for sure...Martinez would get destroyed against Williams.
caneman
I wish it was gonna be Strum but I like Clottey a lot!
salvador
QUOTE (BigG @ Nov 4 2009, 03:47 PM) *
Clottey is a more competitive fight for sure...Martinez would get destroyed against Williams.

I totally agree. Both times I've seen Martinez fight it was with a ton of hype and both times he was unimpressive. Boxrec has Martinez as the guy. Bummer.

I have a hard time believing that Clottey turned down $650K. Arum must have promised him something, because I would be surprised if he made much more than that for losing to Cotto.
The Original MrFactor
I think Clottey ended up bitching about money. Tells me he really didnt want the fight. Also, not sure about Williams making 154 or 147 safely because he was training for 160. Martinez going up to 160 kinda confirms that.
salvador
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Nov 4 2009, 04:29 PM) *
I think Clottey ended up bitching about money. Tells me he really didnt want the fight. Also, not sure about Williams making 154 or 147 safely because he was training for 160. Martinez going up to 160 kinda confirms that.

The thing about Clottey turning down Williams is that there aren't a whole lot of guys left for him to fight for big money at 147. It's not like Floyd/Pac/Shane/or Berto would fight him. So I assume you're right about the weight.
The CEO
You won't usually see me use the term "UNDERrated" when it comes to today's boxers...

but some of y'all are underrating THE SHIT outta Martinez...lol

He don't give a damn who's across the ring from him....he does his thing, and he does it well.

His biggest problem is that he's gettin' old...
JD
Martinez is a tougher fight for Williams than Clottey.

Aside from money issues with Clottey, there is the weight issue on short notice as well. Combined it made the fight a no go.
D-MARV
Martinez will be much tougher than Clottey. I really dont care to see Pwill beat somebody's gloves for 12 rounds... Clottey turned down the fight! He said he wanted to move it back till January or he wanted more money! LMAO, Clottey found a way out so he's the only one to blame for this fight not happening.
maelstrom
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 4 2009, 04:16 PM) *

Sturm got coldcocked by the ghost of Jr MW Javier Castillejo..

PR316
I think Martinez is underrated. He can give P-Will some trouble though I expect Williams to come out on top.

I would like to see Clottey against Cintron. That would be interesting, though Clottey would win.
King Eugene
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 4 2009, 04:16 PM) *

I'm with you on this one. But not in Germany. Hell it could be in Germany. Williams would spank him anyway and make that belt meaningful.
King Eugene
What has Clottey done to deserve Williams in the first place besides give Cotto a tough fight that he couldn't finish? He should have took the $650k and made the best of it. Martinez would spank Clottey. I'd much rather see Martinez fight Williams. He'd give Williams some problems early on but Williams would run away with the UD. I tell you what though, he wont be fighting with his hands at his waist like he did against Cintron.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.