Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You guys should check out the new issue of Ring Magazine
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
PR316
I just picked it up today and I was very pleased to read it.

He talks about pretty much anything one would want to know...

How he got started in boxing as a young kid
The problems with the law he had(How he spent time in prison)
The handwrapping issues of Trinidad and Margarito
Working with Shane Mosley
Thoughts on the US Olympic boxing team and overall thoughts of the amateur boxing scene today

Too much to say in this short time but its one of the best interviews I've read or seen in a while. You guys should check it out.,

thehype
So basically it was a compilation of all the interviews that Percy has already done with him.

laugh.gif

I bet he didn't talk about America's Most Wanted though.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh wait...I may have said too much already...my man Percy will get that info.

laugh.gif

Brother Naaz is the gospel.
EirbinX
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 4 2009, 05:29 PM) *
So basically it was a compilation of all the interviews that Percy has already done with him.

laugh.gif

I bet he didn't talk about America's Most Wanted though.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh wait...I may have said too much already...my man Percy will get that info.

laugh.gif

Brother Naaz is the gospel.

No offence but i like The Ring way more than percy...he's ass kisses everone he interviews especially Floyd Mayweather Sr.

He's all like, "Oh I heard your sick Floyd." ?Are You Visiting Your Moms In Michigan Right Now?"

I Don't Wanna here that shit, and who would wanna do an interview with Floyd Sr. anyways
Warlord
QUOTE (PR316 @ Nov 4 2009, 01:07 PM) *
I just picked it up today and I was very pleased to read it.

He talks about pretty much anything one would want to know...

How he got started in boxing as a young kid
The problems with the law he had(How he spent time in prison)
The handwrapping issues of Trinidad and Margarito
Working with Shane Mosley
Thoughts on the US Olympic boxing team and overall thoughts of the amateur boxing scene today

Too much to say in this short time but its one of the best interviews I've read or seen in a while. You guys should check it out.,

I don't have access to Ring magazine out here in this dump. Would you mind paraphrasing what he had to say about the Trinidad/Margarito hand-wrapping issue? I've heard Naz touch on it before, but I am just wondering if he went into more detail this time.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (EirbinX @ Nov 4 2009, 02:44 PM) *
No offence but i like The Ring way more than percy...he's ass kisses everone he interviews especially Floyd Mayweather Sr.

He's all like, "Oh I heard your sick Floyd." ?Are You Visiting Your Moms In Michigan Right Now?"

I Don't Wanna here that shit, and who would wanna do an interview with Floyd Sr. anyways

Too funny, agreed though.
PR316
QUOTE (Warlord @ Nov 5 2009, 01:21 AM) *
I don't have access to Ring magazine out here in this dump. Would you mind paraphrasing what he had to say about the Trinidad/Margarito hand-wrapping issue? I've heard Naz touch on it before, but I am just wondering if he went into more detail this time.

He said that what Trinidad did was an "abrasion of the rules" and that it was "legal in other places but not New York"(He mentions having the rule book in hand on the night of the fight)... Tito had too much guaze and tape on his hand and the commisioners agreed with him and had Tito rewrap.

What Margarito did was much worse obviously. He had a "weapon on his hand" basically. Naz described the foreign substances as a hard block of some sort that fell out of the wraps of Margarito and how he put them in a box and gave them to Mosley's lawyer. Doesn't know how long Margarito has been doing it if at all, but feels that it wouldn't have mattered because "Nobody was beating Mosley that night".

He went into more detail for sure.

You can order the issue if you want. http://www.ringtv.com/subscribe/

Its the one with PBF on the cover.
King Eugene
I guess I'm one of the few that enjoys Seniors interviews. Whether you agree with him or not he's brutally honest and dont pull any punches. The best thing about it is I dont have to translate it...Percy does it for me. laugh.gif
Method
Naazim is one of the coolest cats to spit boxing w. He'll literally sit there and talk to you for hours.
MarzB
Great to hear love him but too bad I can't find a RING Magazine locally to save my life and I'm NOT exaggerating.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (MarzB @ Nov 5 2009, 02:10 PM) *
Great to hear love him but too bad I can't find a RING Magazine locally to save my life and I'm NOT exaggerating.

Really? Wow. Do you live in a major metropolitan area?
MarzB
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 5 2009, 01:14 PM) *
Really? Wow. Do you live in a major metropolitan area?

Yep, I live in MPLS. Mind you, since the GBP acquisition of it I haven't looked for it but I recall there was a double issue for the Hopkins vs. DLH fight that people were talking about here and I went to newstands, Borders, Barnes and Noble, multiple locations for it and couldn't find it.
JD
QUOTE (MarzB @ Nov 5 2009, 01:38 PM) *
Yep, I live in MPLS. Mind you, since the GBP acquisition of it I haven't looked for it but I recall there was a double issue for the Hopkins vs. DLH fight that people were talking about here and I went to newstands, Borders, Barnes and Noble, multiple locations for it and couldn't find it.

Best bet is to order a subscription online.
Method
I recall there was a double issue for the Hopkins vs. DLH fight that people were talking about here and I went to news tands, Borders, Barnes and Noble, multiple locations for it and couldn't find it.

They did have a dbl issue for Hopkins/DLH and it was SICK. They also had a dbl issue for Hopkins/Toney which was SICK too. You should order back copies. Awesome shit.

I'm in Miami and can't readily find it, so I just ordered a scrip.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 5 2009, 02:54 PM) *
They did have a dbl issue for Hopkins/DLH and it was SICK. They also had a dbl issue for Hopkins/Toney which was SICK too. You should order back copies. Awesome shit.

I'm in Miami and can't readily find it, so I just ordered a scrip.

I remember that issue and indeed it was great. They had 2 articles on DLH-Hopkins plus experts picks, statistics, quotes, their top 10 performances, a "what if" section, trainer's comments and more. It was a whole magazine dedicated for 1 fight and it leaves me wondering when they will do another one. My guess is that if Pacquiao beats Cotto and takes on Mayweather, then Ring Magazine has to do another one of those.
thehype
QUOTE (EirbinX @ Nov 4 2009, 05:44 PM) *

That's unfortunate for you because I guarantee Brother Naaz, Floyd Sr. or anyone that Percy interviews will drop more REAL knowledge and information to him than anyone at Ring. But to each their own though...so long as you post on here though, that's all that matters.

Funny that you picked out a couple of quotes from his interviews with Floyd Sr. though...looks like somebody was interested in what he had to say.

laugh.gif
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 5 2009, 02:09 PM) *
That's unfortunate for you because I guarantee Brother Naaz, Floyd Sr. or anyone that Percy interviews will drop more REAL knowledge and information to him than anyone at Ring. But to each their own though...so long as you post on here though, that's all that matters.

Funny that you picked out a couple of quotes from his interviews with Floyd Sr. though...looks like somebody was interested in what he had to say.

laugh.gif

Well Hype, If Brother Naaz and Floyd Sr are dropping more REAL knowledge and info to Percy than The Ring, its unfortunate for Brother Naaz and Floyd Sr. Only being that that knowledge would be read by more people worldwide on The Ring than Fighthype(no offense, because I love fighthype). I too get annoyed by the buddy-buddy type of interviews that Percy does. Its kind of like he's trying to show the audience they are friends or something. It's very G. Leonish and one of the reasons that Boxingtalk sucks. I'm just saying be more professional with the interviews, you can be buddy-buddy after.
EirbinX
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 5 2009, 06:09 PM) *

laugh.gif

I just remembered it and I had to go back to the article to quote them. I love Fighthype Because it's real people talking about all boxing issues and there's always two sides which is always interesting, but I just don't think Percy is all that good or does great interviews. they're short looks and half of the questions are not about boxing.
thehype
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Nov 5 2009, 08:33 PM) *
Well Hype, If Brother Naaz and Floyd Sr are dropping more REAL knowledge and info to Percy than The Ring, its unfortunate for Brother Naaz and Floyd Sr. Only being that that knowledge would be read by more people worldwide on The Ring than Fighthype(no offense, because I love fighthype). I too get annoyed by the buddy-buddy type of interviews that Percy does. Its kind of like he's trying to show the audience they are friends or something. It's very G. Leonish and one of the reasons that Boxingtalk sucks. I'm just saying be more professional with the interviews, you can be buddy-buddy after.

G. Leonish?

laugh.gif

Ah man...I don't think Percy's going to like to hear that.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I don't necessarily know about that though. I think some people just feel more comfortable talking about certain things to certain people. Case in point, Floyd Sr. doesn't really like to speak with certain people about his relationship with his son for whateve reason he may have, however, because he has a much more comfortable relationship with Percy, he was willing to open up a lot more about everything that happened. Check the archives and you'll find A LOT of interviews that Floyd Sr. did with Percy where he spoke openly about his relationship with his son. I don't think you can find some of that stuff anyplace else. Is that really "unfortunate" for Floyd Sr.? I guess...maybe...if he's looking to tell as many people as possible (for the record, Fighthype isn't THAT much smaller than RingTv.com as far as traffic is concerned...I mean, we're smaller, but we're up there too homie...pretty much the same traffic as Maxboxing...maybe even more actually...not bad considering that we're not associated with Yahoo, which helps TREMENDOUSLY...but hey...I digress). But, in my opinion, I don't necessarily think that Floyd Sr. or Brother Naaz have an agenda to spread their gospel to the masses when they speak to Percy. When they talk to Percy, they're just, well, they're just talking...shooting from the hip as they talk about boxing. They're "buddy-buddy" type of interviews because, well, they're buddies. They're cool...and because they're cool, well, sometimes...a lot of times actually...they drop some knowledge or spit some wisdom that they normally wouldn't spit to the more "professional" type of journalist. I think maybe that's what you fail to realize. Percy's not trying to be a professional journalist. I'm not trying to be some undercover reporter. I'm just trying to holla at these cats, get their side of the story out, whatever it is they have to say, and keep it moving...just give them a platform to speak with and to their fans without having their words be surrounded by opinion. That's what it's all about here man. If you're looking for professional...hey...that's cool...keep reading Dan Rafael, George Kimball, George Willis, Doug Fischer, Steve Kim or whoever the professionals may be. But make no mistake, they too play the game and each and every one of them have their "buddies" that they will not ask the "hard" and "professional" questions to. Quite frankly, I'm still waiting for one of the "professionals" at Ring Magazine to ask their boss, Golden Boy Promotions, why they allowed Floyd Mayweather to fool the public with an uncompetitive mismatch against Marquez, their own fighter, instead of forcing him to fight Shane Mosley, their own partner. Please, please, please tell one of those professionals to ask Richard Schaefer that in their next interview. If you think me or Percy are going to do that...fuck that...I enjoy getting credentials to Golden Boy fights...I wouldn't risk that shit.

laugh.gif

But word...too each their own. Just for the record, I don't think Boxingtalk.com entirely sucked...I mean, during the prime of Boxingtalk...say 2005 and 2006...that shit was hot. I mean, there were weeks when we were doing chat sessions with six different fighters...I mean, we were putting cats on the phone with these guys and giving them their own opportunity to be all "buddy-buddy" with their favorite fighters...those were good times man...we had A LOT of content...a lot of videos...a lot of coverage...there was a time when a lot of people did a lot of hard work and accomplished a lot of good things for the fans and the sport. But hey...that was then and this is now and now...RIGHT NOW...you're right...boxingtalk SUCKS!

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (EirbinX @ Nov 5 2009, 08:43 PM) *
I just remembered it and I had to go back to the article to quote them. I love Fighthype Because it's real people talking about all boxing issues and there's always two sides which is always interesting, but I just don't think Percy is all that good or does great interviews. they're short looks and half of the questions are not about boxing.

Noted. See above if interested, otherwise, we're always looking for more talented correspondents who are willing to help out. You'll get an opportunity to speak with the biggest names in boxing and a chance to show Percy how it should be done.

laugh.gif

Are you bastards at least clicking on the interviews. At least click on that bitch to give us the hit and help out with traffic around here...you don't have to read it...just click it! Start pullin' your weight damn it...get your post count up...boost that traffic baby....we're coming Ring...we're coming...we're kickin' in the door R.A. the Rugged Man style baby...wooooooooooooo!!!!

laugh.gif

Man, I'm trippin tonight.
Romulus9
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 6 2009, 12:39 AM) *
Noted. See above if interested, otherwise, we're always looking for more talented correspondents who are willing to help out. You'll get an opportunity to speak with the biggest names in boxing and a chance to show Percy how it should be done.

laugh.gif

Are you bastards at least clicking on the interviews. At least click on that bitch to give us the hit and help out with traffic around here...you don't have to read it...just click it! Start pullin' your weight damn it...get your post count up...boost that traffic baby....we're coming Ring...we're coming...we're kickin' in the door R.A. the Rugged Man style baby...wooooooooooooo!!!!

laugh.gif

The board is always a little more lively when Hype has 9 Red Bulls before he starts the interaction.

And it's not even the weekend yet. Should be fun once the 14th rolls around.
Spyder
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 6 2009, 12:32 AM) *
...keep reading Dan Rafael, George Kimball, George Willis, Doug Fischer, Steve Kim or whoever the professionals may be.

QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 6 2009, 12:39 AM) *

You must be trippin to call Doug Fischer and Steve Kim "professional" type journalists...lol...West Coast bias out the ASS!

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (Spyder @ Nov 6 2009, 07:31 AM) *
You must be trippin to call Doug Fischer and Steve Kim "professional" type journalists...lol...West Coast bias out the ASS!

laugh.gif

LOL. I never labeled them a "professional"...I said "keep reading Dan Rafael, George Kimball, George Willis, Doug Fischer, Steve Kim or whoever the professionals may be." Although you may not think they're professional, somebody else might. A lot of people think of Dan Rafael as a "professional," but personally, I don't as most professionals do the right thing by crediting the source of the information...something that Dan Rafael NEVER does despite the fact that he gets information from all over the net. But whatever...I get what you're saying.

laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 7 2009, 02:31 AM) *
I generally don't visit any boxing news website regularly, I don't even visit the homepage on a regular basis. I usually just read here and if there is something interesting, I will go look at the article or go search for an article because chances are, if it's worth knowing about somebody else will post it here, so I use this as my source outlet most of the times. Maybe once a week or every 2 weeks I will visit fightnews, and I look out at fighthype links that are at the top. Even though I don't frequent a news site so often, I think the articles/videos on fighthype are pretty good. I just read the recent Hopkins one just before. From what I have seen, hype to me has a good site. I think so anyways, I have liked the articles and interviews I have read when I do check them out.
Beats the shit out of boxingtalk, I NEVER really used their site, even back in the day. It seems like we have to pay nothing here and get better for it. I'm not complaining, lol.

For so many years all I ever visit was/is Fighthype(and before it was associated with ...... before they split), and Fightnews.com. To this day I still only read these two sites daily. To be honest, I love all of Fightnews up to date info they get up pretty darn quick. Though there website only seems like cliffnotes sometimes where this site lately has got some really good stuff to read. Before I rarely read the front page on Fighthype(just forums), but now it seems to have much more meat to it. Just the other day there were a ton of great reads on this site, and they all were new. Also, this is kind of funny, but whenever I would get home from work or whatever, I would ALWAYS click on Fightnews first, then Fighthype next(for years). Now it is reversed and I ALWAYS go to Fighthype first. I know not many say it often, but thanks for a great site and to all who put work in here help maintain this site!!!
STEVENSKI
The link to the leading news on fight hype at the top of the forum page is gold. I don't do the front page but I click on the links & Fight Hype delivers the goods. I don't need the latest news all the time as I am not as "into" boxing as I once was but FH always has a good interview or two up for me to read & the forum whilst a bit slow has good quality members by & large.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.