Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fraud of The Year? Pavlik Fighting December 19th?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
D-MARV
KELLY PAVLIK!!!!

Middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, forced to twice pull out of defenses against Paul Williams this fall because of a left hand problem stemming from a staph infection, will make his ring return Dec. 19, Top Rank president Todd duBoef told ESPN.com on Monday.

Pavlik, who will defend the world title against Miguel Espino, will fight in his hometown of Youngstown, Ohio, at the Beeghly Center on the campus Youngstown State University.

"I'm very encouraged and excited that Kelly will be able to fight on Dec. 19," duBoef told ESPN.com. "I think it's imperative for his career. Activity is important. You never like to see a young guy not fighting regularly when he's in his prime. This year has been a curse of little things that happened. It's good for everybody, especially for him, to get a good fight under his belt on Dec. 19. Hopefully, if he's successful in defending his title he can go into 2010 with a clean slate."

Pavlik was supposed to defend the title against Williams in October in Atlantic City, N.J., in the main event of a major HBO card, but his hand hadn't fully healed from two surgeries necessitated by the staph infection on the index finger of his left hand. The fight was rescheduled for Dec. 5, but Pavlik was again forced to pull out in late October because he was still unable to properly train because he could not completely close his left fist.

Top Rank, Pavlik's promoter, hoped to delay the Williams bout until Dec. 19, but the Williams camp, already upset by two delays, elected to go in another direction. Williams kept the HBO date on Dec. 5 and will face junior middleweight titlist Sergio Martinez in a middleweight bout on HBO in Atlantic City.

Pavlik will fight two weeks later and headline a split site pay-per-view card. Top Rank was already planning a "Latin Fury" pay-per-view from Cancun, Mexico, on Dec. 19. Now, the card will have bouts from Mexico, including junior lightweight titlist Humberto Soto moving up to lightweight to face former titlist Jesus Chavez, as well as bouts from Youngstown.

Top Rank pulled off the technologically challenging feat of a split site card in February, when Miguel Cotto knocked out Michael Jennings to win a vacant welterweight belt in New York before the action shifted to Youngstown, where Pavlik defended his title by stopping Marco Antonio Rubio in the ninth round.

"We're fighting," said Cameron Dunkin, Pavlik's co-manager. "I have the contract here. The hand is good. He did therapy today and he ran today. The therapy, after three sessions, the hand has gotten much better. [The first] is still not closed all the way, but it's so much better. It's really good news. He just can't wait to fight. He really misses this.

"You can't help but have concern about the hand, but we've still got six weeks and that gives us enough time to be ready. He's been running and lifting weights because he was trying to push through for the fight with Williams on Dec. 5. He asked if Williams could wait until the 19th and it couldn't be done. We understood. Now he has another chance to go the 19th and he's going to go."

Espino (20-2-1, 9 KOs), 29, of Los Angeles, starred on the first season of "The Contender" reality series in 2004, but he hasn't lost since dropping a five-round decision on the series to Peter Manfredo Jr.

Pavlik (35-1, 31 KOs), who has been earning seven-figures for recent fights, will take a major pay cut, down to about $500,000, to face Espino. However, according to Dunkin, Pavlik is just anxious to fight.

"What I love is his enthusiasm," Dunkin said. "He's not even talking about the money. He's talking about fighting. He wants to win this fight and he still wants to fight Williams next year if we can make it happen."

Romulus9
Seriously?

SERIOUSLY!?

MarzB
You CAN NOT be serious???

I know how serious staph can be but what is this, TWO WEEKS AFTER the proposed fight with Williams?? Then once Williams is set with Martinez he signs to fight this dude?? GTFOH!!!
JD
How freaking lame is this?

What a wreck this guys career has become. One loss to Espino and he will be dreaming about fighting for $500k.

STUPID!

At least Martinez had guts enough to fight Williams.
D-MARV
I used to be a Pavlik fan too.
provo
WOW!!!! So his hand got that better to fight 2weeks later???
Fitz
QUOTE (MarzB @ Nov 10 2009, 12:08 PM) *
You CAN NOT be serious???

I know how serious staph can be but what is this, TWO WEEKS AFTER the proposed fight with Williams?? Then once Williams is set with Martinez he signs to fight this dude?? GTFOH!!!

So what are you going to say to me now when I say:

"Pavlik is being his garbage self"

I called it AGEEEEEEEEEEEEES ago that this guy was a goose and a fraud when everybody was sucking his cock. This guy is absolute trash, Hopkins ruined him mentally, physically and emotionally.
I'm actually please that my good judgement showed I was correct, I can spot them. It's also incredibly hilarious that this aids patient acted like the "Super 6" tourney was beneath him laugh.gif
The CEO
That move stinks....but I don't think Pavlik deserves The Fraud Of The Year....although his trainer, Jack Loew, should win that title hands down in The Trainer category...

My vote is split between 3 fighters....Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, and Mikkel Kessler....the 3 most overrated fighters of the DECADE.
kidbazooka1
Pavlik is a biaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch.

What a joke.

Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 10 2009, 12:31 PM) *
That move stinks....but I don't think Pavlik deserves The Fraud Of The Year....although his trainer, Jack Loew, should win that title hands down in The Trainer category...

My vote is split between 3 fighters....Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, and Mikkel Kessler....the 3 most overrated fighters of the DECADE.

Nope. DLH was shot, not a fraud. Ricky Hatton lost to the p4p number 1 and actually challenges himself and Kessler? What are you basing that on? Him competing in the super 6 with the best 168 fighters? Pavlik on the other hand has tried to schedule fights with Sergio Mora, has fought Rubio, pulled out of a Williams fight 2 times and now fighting the dangerous Espina 2 weeks later. Haha, sorry man but Pavlik has got them beat by a long shot. Haha.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 9 2009, 09:31 PM) *

No way Pavlik takes this hands down.

Fitz
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Nov 10 2009, 12:47 PM) *
No way Pavlik takes this hands down.

Absolutely and it isn't close. Pavlik by a landslide.
Box in Hand
Pav lick my nuts can go to hell. He's been exposed like a $10,000 bill.
KookedKrack
Disgusting.
Lil-lightsout
This definately does not look good for Pavlik. Hopkins could have ruined this kid, time will tell.
caneman
Wow, that is really bad!
darroy
while pavlik most definitely deserves some blame don't forget about mr bob arum. he's the one who i feel is really to blame. he's trying to protect his fighter similar to the way he absolutely rejected a rematch between juanma and mtagwa following their great fight. the fighters are somewhat to blame but the promoters and managers are the ones who really dictate whether or not a fight will take place. i feel like they all look like bitches!!!!
mrwigi
DAMN!!
MarzB
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 9 2009, 09:31 PM) *

I called it AGEEEEEEEEEEEEES ago that this guy was a goose and a fraud when everybody was sucking his cock. This guy is absolute trash, Hopkins ruined him mentally, physically and emotionally.
I'm actually please that my good judgement showed I was correct, I can spot them. It's also incredibly hilarious that this aids patient acted like the "Super 6" tourney was beneath him laugh.gif

LOL That you were right. Ok you got me.

The thing is this though, you try to give guys the benefit of the doubt. Now we've seen through the YEARS guys no matter who it's been said ducked who but whats happening here (Rahman vs. Vitali was also a case of excessive cancellations where I believe Vitali was ducking him and FOR WHAT?) is one of the worse things I've witnessed. Hang on.. Someone wants to say something.

"After we made the announcement of the cancellation and there's pictures on the web to show, the staph wasn't going away. We trained hard but Kelly couldn't make a fist. But afterward, he started to get better in training. We told TOP RANK we were ready but Paul went ahead with his deal. We wanted to get Kelly healthy and there was a date and opponent and we took it. We're not afraid of Williams and it can still happen, it was just bad timing".

Signed

Jack Loew
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 9 2009, 08:34 PM) *
Nope. DLH was shot, not a fraud. Ricky Hatton lost to the p4p number 1 and actually challenges himself and Kessler? What are you basing that on? Him competing in the super 6 with the best 168 fighters? Pavlik on the other hand has tried to schedule fights with Sergio Mora, has fought Rubio, pulled out of a Williams fight 2 times and now fighting the dangerous Espina 2 weeks later. Haha, sorry man but Pavlik has got them beat by a long shot. Haha.

Well, Fitzy...you're only open to Pavlik bein' The Fraud Of The Year...so I ain't gonna go back and forth on it with ya...lol...I've explained my stance on those 3 a million times...

The dudes I mentioned are the biggest frauds of The ENTIRE '00s...

After Ward beats Kessler, hopefully everyone will know he is one too....

pacco_diablo
I'm a Williams fan and I was still giving Pavlik the benefit of the doubt. But 2 weeks later??? How dumb can his camp be?
Romulus9
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 9 2009, 10:41 PM) *
Well, Fitzy...you're only open to Pavlik bein' The Fraud Of The Year...so I ain't gonna go back and forth on it with ya...lol...I've explained my stance on those 3 a million times...

The dudes I mentioned are the biggest frauds of The ENTIRE '00s...

After Ward beats Kessler, hopefully everyone will know he is one too....

Just one point:

de la Hoya is an amazingly polarizing figure. He's either loved or hated with no middle ground. His accomplishments, and the related analysis of them, aside, one thing is for certain and cannot be argued. If those amongst boxing's "elite" carried out their career with the intentions and desires that Oscar did, this sport would be far better off than it is.

Oscar fought everyone. His resume, with both wins and losses, is a who's who of whatever division he was in. There was no ducking of opponents, no outrageous demands to help facilitate his avoidance, just the fights that the world wanted to see. He was well compensated for that and rightfully so. Look at a sample of the list:

• John-John Molina
  • Rafael Ruelas
  • Genaro Hernandez
  • Miguel Angel Gonzalez
  • Julio Cesar Chavez x2
  • Pernell Whitaker
  • Ike Quartey
  • Felix Trinidad
  • Shane Mosley x2
  • Floyd Mayweather Jr.
  • Bernard Hopkins
  • Manny Pacquiao
  • Arturo Gatti
  • Fernando Vargas
  • Oba Carr
  • Jesse James Leija

Whether or not Oscar really was what he was made out to be is obviously up for debate. What can't be debated, or detracted from, is the fact that he fought everyone he could, defended his spot as one of the top P4P fighters in the world, and served as a great ambassador for the sport that we all love.

Also, Ricky Hatton sucks and Kessler is still an unknown commodity.

That's all.
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 10 2009, 02:41 PM) *
Well, Fitzy...you're only open to Pavlik bein' The Fraud Of The Year...

No I'm not. DaMarvelous and bazooka feel the same as me also. Like I said, DLH was shot, not a fraud. Hatton wasn't as good as people thought he was, but he gave it his best. Shit happens. Kessler, I don't even know where you get this from. You have explained it to me and I still don't really see it and feel like you are clutching at straws on that one. Kessler barely receives much coverage, he isn't on p4p lists and people don't say he is going to knock out greats like Hopkins (like people did with Pavlik). He is a solid guy, but not talked about by the media and fans I have seen. I feel he is talked about fairly. Just a solid fighter.
Like I said, Kessler is in a round robin tourney fighting the best 168 fighters. Pavlik was offered, he said he didn't want part of it because it's beneath him. He fights Rubio, he tries to set up a fight with Mora he then schedules fights with Williams and pulls out of the fight 2 times. Pavlik is much more of a fraud than Kessler at this point, it isn't close. Keep in mind that Kessler has never ever been spoken about or widely considered to be as good as Pavlik was supposed to be anyways.
The CEO
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Nov 9 2009, 10:50 PM) *
Just one point:

de la Hoya is an amazingly polarizing figure. He's either loved or hated with no middle ground. His accomplishments, and the related analysis of them, aside, one thing is for certain and cannot be argued. If those amongst boxing's "elite" carried out their career with the intentions and desires that Oscar did, this sport would be far better off than it is.

Oscar fought everyone. His resume, with both wins and losses, is a who's who of whatever division he was in. There was no ducking of opponents, no outrageous demands to help facilitate his avoidance, just the fights that the world wanted to see. He was well compensated for that and rightfully so. Look at a sample of the list:

• John-John Molina
  • Rafael Ruelas
  • Genaro Hernandez
  • Miguel Angel Gonzalez
  • Julio Cesar Chavez x2
  • Pernell Whitaker
  • Ike Quartey
  • Felix Trinidad
  • Shane Mosley x2
  • Floyd Mayweather Jr.
  • Bernard Hopkins
  • Manny Pacquiao
  • Arturo Gatti
  • Fernando Vargas
  • Oba Carr
  • Jesse James Leija

Whether or not Oscar really was what he was made out to be is obviously up for debate. What can't be debated, or detracted from, is the fact that he fought everyone he could, defended his spot as one of the top P4P fighters in the world, and served as a great ambassador for the sport that we all love.

Also, Ricky Hatton sucks and Kessler is still an unknown commodity.

That's all.

Didn't know you respected DLH, Rommy...lol....yeah...he's got the names....but there's stories/unfair advantages behind most all of those big fights...it's my belief that after his loss to Trinidad, he pretty much said "Fuck Legacy." and strictly went for the money...he don't mind losing for money AT ALL....just like Hatton come to think of it...Hatton totally sold his zero to Mayweather...it wasn't because he wanted to "fight the best"....you know what I'm sayin'....at least Leonard cared about winning.

Oscar was The Face of Boxing and is faker than a golddigger's titties.....and I personally believe he's not been so good for the sport....he stuck around, kept a lot of good matchups from happening, and horded all the big fights and big money....long after he deserved them....

I know I'm not the only one who feels that way about him...
Romulus9
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 9 2009, 11:10 PM) *
Didn't know you respected DLH, Rommy...lol....yeah...he's got the names....but there's stories/unfair advantages behind most all of those big fights...it's my belief that after his loss to Trinidad, he pretty much said "Fuck Legacy." and strictly went for the money...he don't mind losing for money AT ALL....just like Hatton come to think of it...you know what I'm sayin'....at least Leonard cared about winning.

Oscar was The Face of Boxing and is faker than a golddigger's titties.....and I personally believe he's not been so good for the sport....he stuck around, kept a lot of good matchups from happening, and horded all the big fights and big money....long after he deserved them....

I know I'm not the only one who feels that way about him...

I do think the Trinidad fight changed him. It pissed him off because he got absolutely screwed, and it altered his mentality. What an awful decision. I'm still pissed about it.

One thing he certainly did is bring new fans to the sport, many of whom have stuck around. That's never a bad thing. I'm not so sure that he stopped a lot of good matchups from happening. In fact, I think he stepped in and created attractive matchups for the boxing public. Let's face it, for more than a decade there have been plenty of 'names' who talk about fighting the best out there and have zero desire to actually do it. Everyone loses out that way. Is DLH fake? I don't know the man but I feel pretty comfortable saying yes. He loves his image and it shows.

On a side note, I'd like to thank Showtime and their now virtually non-existent PPV enterprise for irreparably altering the PPV structure for boxing, all because of the Tyson fights. Once they started charging 50 bucks for every Tyson fight, the game changed and many people started getting priced out. I remember pretty good cards for 25. Now it's 50 for a main event and a garbage undercard... and half the time it's a garbage main event. I know it's unrelated but it just popped into my head.
thehype
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 9 2009, 08:31 PM) *

laugh.gif

Damn CEO...that's messed up...I mean, don't get me wrong, you already know what I think about Oscar, but I gotta give him more credit than that. I wouldn't even have him in the same sentence as Ricky Hatton.

laugh.gif

Oscar's no fraud...he's just old and rich as shit...but I still say he SMOKES Hatton with a left hook inside of 6 rounds.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And Kessler? Eh...I don't know...I haven't really watched him all that much, but the few fights I have seen him in, he looks pretty solid...maybe not an elite guy, but probably good enough to call himself a champion.

But HATTON!

BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HANDS DOWN...FRAUD OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All those fools who thought he had picked up some actual boxing skills based off of his performance over Malignaggi...SUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will say however that based off this shit they're pulling, Kelly Pavlik DEFINTELY deserves to be at least a nominee for the category. Other nominees include Andre Berto, Carl Froch, Victor Ortiz, and Allan Green.
The CEO
LOL....I know it doesn't seem right to put him in the same sentence as Hatton...but I feel they're birds of a feather....Hatton has even said he "wants to be like Oscar when he grows up."...promoting and diversifying and what not....he reminds me of David Beckham to De La Hoya's Tom Cruise...lol

Good calls on those other ones...I agree on all 4....I agree Pavlik should be a nominee....I have Kessler down because he is directly related to Joe Calzaghe's legacy....both Joe and his fans have built Kessler up to be this special fighter when he's not...as if he beats anyone NOT named Calzaghe...lol...the guy is a solid B boxer at his best...I actually saw polls the last 2 days on other boards that had Kessler beating CHAD DAWSON...LMAO...it's ridiculous and sickening at the same time...

but yeah...I think this boils down to which fighter(s) you disapprove of most....and they get called "The Fraud"....I hate DLH and Hatton because they were overrated and fake human beings....Fitz despises Pavlik because he's American...lol...you know how it goes...
Fitz
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 10 2009, 03:22 PM) *
And Kessler? Eh...I don't know...I haven't really watched him all that much, but the few fights I have seen him in, he looks pretty solid...maybe not an elite guy, but probably good enough to call himself a champion.

That exactly how I see it. I could see Kessler being overrated if he was on p4p lists and spoken about all the time, but he isn't. He isn't great, but just solid and that's the feeling I get that others feel about him.
It's kind of like saying that Kelly Clarkson is more overrated than Madonna laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 10 2009, 03:38 PM) *
Fitz despises Pavlik because he's American...lol...you know how it goes...

Hey, Hopkins isn't an Aussie and neither was DLH laugh.gif
pacco_diablo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP8lRAsBX6o

Listen to this Pavlik interview from a couple months ago. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind Pavlik now fighting 2 weeks later? Does he that maybe he needs a tune up fight for Williams? He seemed pretty confident in this interview. I have a hard time believing the middleweight champ is worried about WW. Seriously, what's the deal?
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 9 2009, 11:43 PM) *
Hey, Hopkins isn't an Aussie and neither was DLH laugh.gif

See how it feels?!...lol
King Eugene
Pavlik knew what he was doing. They didn't have a game plan for Williams so they pulled out! Suckas! Arum is going to treat that dude like JCC Jr. from now on out. All of his opponents are going to be tomato cans and every once in a while they'll throw him in with some quality comp and after he wins the tough fight he'll fight about 3 more tomato cans before he steps up in comp again. Faggit!

Side note: Anybody see how fat Ricky Hatton was on WWE tonight?
Rivado
I would throw Arreola in to the mix as much as it pains me to say it.

But that is some gayee shit Pavlik pulled.

Either way, The Punisher TKO 10 Sergio
Byrd Man
I don't know all the details, but that article says that they wanted to reschedule for the 19th saying he would be able to make that fight, and Williams and his team elected to go to Martinez. Now I understand them doing that, just as I understood Wlad for not wanting to reschedule with Haye when Haye backed out due to injury.

But people are making this like Pavlik faked the injury to get out of fighting Williams. I saw the pictures of his hand and it was nasty. And the article itself says that Pavlik wanted to fight on the 19th and Williams said no.

So now that Pavlik's fighting someone else on the 19th, it's a fraud? Yeah this Espino cat is a far cry from Williams caliber but still....I don't know that this is as shady as some are wanting to make it out to be.

Not a Pavlik fan or anything. Don't really have any feelings about him one way or another as a fighter or otherwise. Just saying.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 9 2009, 08:31 PM) *

What an emotional post..hahahaha..I don't know if everyone else got the same feel to it but maybe that's cause I know how much Fitz dislikes Pavlik..hahaha..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 10 2009, 04:22 AM) *
Other nominees include Andre Berto, Carl Froch, Victor Ortiz, and Allan Green.

What has Froch done to be considered a "fraud"? Become a word champion by knockout & defended his belt in a close fight? How that constitutes a fraud I have no idea. He is not pretending to be something he is not.

Fraudnoun
1. deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage.
2. a person who makes deceitful pretenses; sham; poseur

Look at the above definition & look at what Froch has said & done.

This cunt here is a total fraud

He talks shit about MMA & then does a totally bitch move by participating in "Iron Ring Fighting" as a team "owner". So if that is the case he talks shit about MMA & the fighters but then participates in a budget assed production of MMA. What a fucking punk.

Absolute fraud of the year no doubt about it.
Fitz
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Nov 10 2009, 05:11 PM) *
I don't know all the details, but that article says that they wanted to reschedule for the 19th saying he would be able to make that fight, and Williams and his team elected to go to Martinez. Now I understand them doing that, just as I understood Wlad for not wanting to reschedule with Haye when Haye backed out due to injury.

But people are making this like Pavlik faked the injury to get out of fighting Williams. I saw the pictures of his hand and it was nasty. And the article itself says that Pavlik wanted to fight on the 19th and Williams said no.

So now that Pavlik's fighting someone else on the 19th, it's a fraud? Yeah this Espino cat is a far cry from Williams caliber but still....I don't know that this is as shady as some are wanting to make it out to be.

Not a Pavlik fan or anything. Don't really have any feelings about him one way or another as a fighter or otherwise. Just saying.

Pavlik has pulled out of a fight 2 times, 2 freaking times. Not once, but twice. He waited until Williams signed a fight with Martinez to go and challenge him a 3rd time? You must know these sayings:

"Once bitten, twice shy"

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times.........."

Williams has been sitting on the sidelines for MONTHS and MONTHS, Pavlik has cost him money when Williams could have been making money else where. Why would he schedule a fight a 3rd time when he has already found someone worthy, and especially when he tried to reschedule the fight 2 weeks after their original date. It doesn't make sense. From not being able to close his hand since he has been training and as soon as Williams is out of the picture, he apparently tries to get a fight again? Come on man, you seriously can't be surprised or really believe he is being legit?

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Nov 10 2009, 07:19 PM) *
What an emotional post..hahahaha..I don't know if everyone else got the same feel to it but maybe that's cause I know how much Fitz dislikes Pavlik..hahaha..

Haha, you know what's going on. It's actually a great to see Pavlik get exposed to everybody who weren't in the 'know' like me. I no longer have to go on the defensive and explain to people why he is trashy and convince people. I hope people now just don't lump me with one of the majority who have jumped from the 'bandwagon' to the 'hatewagon' because I been on a one way ride the whole way, and it was never the bandwagon.
Jump on board guys and enjoy the ride laugh.gif
D-MARV
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Nov 10 2009, 01:11 AM) *

Dont give me that shit! That's a BOLD lie.

Pavlik backed out and then offered PWill a January 23rd date. It's funny that only a few hours after PWill signs to fight Martinez, Pavlik's hand all of sudden feels better. LMAO, I read articles that PAvlik was on his death bed and now he can fight only two weeks after the original date.
streetlion1
I'll wait to jump on KP and see who he fights after this next one....it could be that he wants some sort of a tune-up before fighting PW.

2009 fraud of the year is Gayweather fighting Marquez and Frochs bullshit win over Dirrell.
PR316
I hate to say this, but Pavlik is starting to go down that Joe Calzaghe path.

After the Hopkins fight, he has done everything to avoid top competition. If Floyd Mayweather gets heat for doing it, then Pavlik should be no different.

Pavlik basically jerked Williams around the whole year and then signed to fight, then pulled out because his injury "got worse", then a few weeks later he's all good to go two weeks after the fight with Williams was supposed to go down. I don't buy it. The only reasons Pavlik took this fight are to avoid PW and to avoid possibly getting stripped. He's become a waste of time to the world of boxing.

And I don't think KP wants it with any of the super middleweights either. I don't see him taking a fight with the likes of Abraham, Kessler, or Froch. KP will just look to sit on his belt and make some easy defenses.

Shame.
mrwigi
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Nov 10 2009, 10:25 AM) *
I'll wait to jump on KP and see who he fights after this next one....it could be that he wants some sort of a tune-up before fighting PW.

2009 fraud of the year is Gayweather fighting Marquez and Frochs bullshit win over Dirrell.

sorry dude, but pavlik is undoubtedly this years winner. i was actually a pavlik fan, but now, i cant say i have to much respect for the man.... what a bitch move by pavlik.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Nov 10 2009, 03:02 AM) *
Dont give me that shit! That's a BOLD lie.

lol. What did I say that was a bold lie? I CLEARLY STATED that I wasn't aware of all the facts, but let's go back over what I actually said and see where my "bold lie" is.

Okay, 1st part. I said I didn't know all the details, and then said that the ARTICLE THAT WAS QUOTED said that they wanted to reschedule the Pavlik/Williams fight for the 19th, and Williams said no, and moved on.

Was that a lie that I posted? Did the article not say that? I then followed that up with me saying I understood why Williams would not want to reschedule.

Here I said that I didn't believe that Pavlik was faking an injury, which is what many people seem to believe, on the basis of I saw the picture of his hand and it looked pretty fucked up. I once again pointed out that the article stated that Pavlik wanted to fight on the 19th and Williams said no. Now maybe that article was wrong, but I was simply pointing out what the article said.

And wrapping it up, I just said that if he said he was willing to fight on the 19th and Williams decided not to (Well within his rights), and Pavlik goes on to fight someone else, it's a fraud? I understand the fact that Espino is worlds away from the calber of Williams, but I wasn't viewing this as bad as some others are.

Now, if like someone else said, Pavlik was saying he couldn't fight til the new year, and I'm remembering something vaguely about that being true, then yeah this doesn't look good at ALL for Pavlik. You say you can't train til December or so and can't fight til 2010 and then you schedule right after Williams signs, then yeah that's kinda fucked up.

I was going on the article that was posted in here, though. So I wasn't lying, based on what I just posted.

Although now that I think about it you could have been referring to Pavlik saying that he was willing to fight on the 19th. lol
The Original MrFactor
If this isnt a blatant duck by him, then I dont know what is...

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=23373

If I was team Paul Williams, I'd be all over the interview circuit publicly calling Pavlik a bitch. I backed Pavlik when he said he had a staph infection, but now I'm blasting him. You mean to tell me that they could have rescheduled the Williams fight for 2 weeks later?!?!? This is a bitch move. Hopkins destroyed this guy mentally. KP was a guy who fought all comers... Now he's deathly afraid of a guy who fought 2 weight classes below him. I've lost mad respect for Pavlik...
Jack 1000
One of my boxing friends had a great idea about this that makes so much sense,

Anytime a fighter is hurt and says that he must postphone a fight and we get reports in the case of Pavlik that hospitalization is required, the said fighter that requires hospitalization should be mandated to take six months off. Scheduling a fight so close to what was a postponement or cancellation if your heath is so bad, or even if you are looking for an easier opponent and you fake or exaggerative an injury to get out of a fight, your penalty is six months off.

This would tell fighters and promoters that there is a mandatory rest period as a consequence for pulling out of a fight for health reasons. With Pavik fighting so close to the cancellation and 5 weeks before being on his death bed, it just makes the whole thing suspicious whether you believe a fighter's claim or not.

Jack
Byrd Man
I checked around on some other sites and read up on some articles. This doesn't look good for Kelly man. I mean, I understand if he's trying to hold onto his straps, because the ABC's are threatening to strip him if he doesn't fight. And he was quoted as saying that if he's gonna lose the titles he's going to lose them fighting.

So it SEEMS that he's going against his common sense and getting in the ring to avoid being stripped by the sanctioning bodies. If that's true, then I can understand him taking on someone easy. You don't wanna jump in with some monster if you're hands could still be sore or whatever when you get in the ring.

But this definitely looks bad on him.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Nov 10 2009, 04:03 PM) *
lol. What did I say that was a bold lie? I CLEARLY STATED that I wasn't aware of all the facts, but let's go back over what I actually said and see where my "bold lie" is.

Okay, 1st part. I said I didn't know all the details, and then said that the ARTICLE THAT WAS QUOTED said that they wanted to reschedule the Pavlik/Williams fight for the 19th, and Williams said no, and moved on.

Was that a lie that I posted? Did the article not say that? I then followed that up with me saying I understood why Williams would not want to reschedule.

Here I said that I didn't believe that Pavlik was faking an injury, which is what many people seem to believe, on the basis of I saw the picture of his hand and it looked pretty fucked up. I once again pointed out that the article stated that Pavlik wanted to fight on the 19th and Williams said no. Now maybe that article was wrong, but I was simply pointing out what the article said.

And wrapping it up, I just said that if he said he was willing to fight on the 19th and Williams decided not to (Well within his rights), and Pavlik goes on to fight someone else, it's a fraud? I understand the fact that Espino is worlds away from the calber of Williams, but I wasn't viewing this as bad as some others are.

Now, if like someone else said, Pavlik was saying he couldn't fight til the new year, and I'm remembering something vaguely about that being true, then yeah this doesn't look good at ALL for Pavlik. You say you can't train til December or so and can't fight til 2010 and then you schedule right after Williams signs, then yeah that's kinda fucked up.

I was going on the article that was posted in here, though. So I wasn't lying, based on what I just posted.

Although now that I think about it you could have been referring to Pavlik saying that he was willing to fight on the 19th. lol

LOL... I was referring to Pavlik's team. friends.gif
JLUVBABY
this fight is an absolute total waste of time... im shocked at team pavlik for pulling such a ho move.. if he didnt want to fight williams all they had to do was not sign.... i have been a pavlik fan but thats out the window now... this just isnt right... i hope williams wins a belt at middle and keeps pavlik out of the big money at the weight force him out of the division into 168... thats a ho move if ive ever seen one...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 10 2009, 05:20 AM) *
Haha, you know what's going on. It's actually a great to see Pavlik get exposed to everybody who weren't in the 'know' like me. I no longer have to go on the defensive and explain to people why he is trashy and convince people. I hope people now just don't lump me with one of the majority who have jumped from the 'bandwagon' to the 'hatewagon' because I been on a one way ride the whole way, and it was never the bandwagon.
Jump on board guys and enjoy the ride laugh.gif

You were completely right too man..Pavlik is being a huge bitch..Why the hell would he decide to fight 2 weeks later than the postponement..He shouldn't be training now if this infection is as bad as he makes it seem??Bullshit..Paul Williams gets screwed over so much..People don't wanna man up and fight him..If this were back in the day(in some eras,not all),EVERYONE would want a piece of him..Williams IS the most avoided guy of the 2000s..
STEVENSKI
Man some of yall are acting like Williams is the second coming or Tommy Hearns mixed with Hank Armstrong.

Big rangy weight hopper who never sticks around long enough at a weight to force a fight with the champions. Pavlik may be a biatch but what has Williams actually done to deserve a shot at the title?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 10 2009, 07:56 PM) *
Man some of yall are acting like Williams is the second coming or Tommy Hearns mixed with Hank Armstrong.

Big rangy weight hopper who never sticks around long enough at a weight to force a fight with the champions. Pavlik may be a biatch but what has Williams actually done to deserve a shot at the title?

I am not sold on Williams either, but he definately has made nice progress IMO. Though Winky was clearly not the same fighter, PW did look very impressive in there. I too hate the fact he did not stick around long enough at 147 to force other fights. With PW build and scrawny legs, I have a feeling someone is going to get to him sooner or later and KO him. PW should also be giving credit for seeming to want to step up a take on all comers. Martinez vowed to KO him, so we might have ourselves a good little scrap, or it could just be talk. I just can not make up my mind what to think of this guy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.