Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Haye-Toney anybody?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
True-Boxing-Fan
James Toney is the man, he's a fun dude to watch fight or to be interviewed. He is an old school fighter with skills that are second to none. He can fight any style and he never backs down from a challenge. I havent always been happy with the way he has come into past fights overweight and kind of unmotivated. But I think a fight between him and Haye would be a great fight. I think James would come into the fight in great shape. The build up would be awesome. IMO Haye-Toney could be the biggest fight in America for the heavyweight division. All Haye has to do is deal with his mandatory first(Ruiz) which wont be easy but if he can get past him and if James can get a good win under his belt. I think we have the potential makings of a very good maybe great heavyweight fight. Since GoldenBoy has the rights to Haye in America they should do a doubleheader with Haye-Ruiz and Toney vs someone good, to build this fight. Can you imagine the press tour, it would be crazy. I'm just getting tired of watching the Klitschkos and this would do wonders for Haye if he could get by Toney in a huge Vegas fight. Let's get this fight done. What does everyone think about this?
thehype
YES!!!!

MAKE THAT FIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

I'd much rather see Haye vs. Toney than Haye vs. Ruiz.

The smack talk alone would be worth the price of admission.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
That is a fight that Toney could win. Despite all the smack talk that he does I think Toney could get inside haye's head. I like this fight!!
streetlion1
Make the fight happen!! I wanna see Toney back in the mix!
pcraw
Yeah this fight definitely needs to happen. I thought we were done with Ruiz and he has somehow worked his way into mandatory challenger status! Give me Haye/Toney all day and 2 times on Sunday over Ruiz!
Method
Would LOVE to see it.
Douchebag
Toney is my all time fav fighter, but honestly.............................I don't want to be disapointed, again.
Yucayeke
Oh man I am salivating with the mere thought of it. Tony could conceivably get back into shape and take the title from the British POSER. This would be a very good opportunity to get one of the tittles back into American hands!
sweetchuck
Ruiz being the mandatory challenger is much like his titles, the fighting was done just as much if not more in the courtroom as it was in the ring. That being said I don't think Toney deserves a shot, why do we keep going backwards. Haye should easily beat Ruiz and then maybe fight Toney if Toney beats some quality opponent. Yes the trash talk would be great, but like I said, I'm for progression in the heavyweight division, not the same old recycled crap, that's why the heavyweight division is dead.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 13 2009, 06:52 PM) *
YES!!!!

MAKE THAT FIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

I'd much rather see Haye vs. Toney than Haye vs. Ruiz.

The smack talk alone would be worth the price of admission.

Yea lets get this fight on. I cant wait. I'd rather not see a Ruiz fight, hopefully they can make Ruiz wait. This is going to be an awesome fight. This fight makes the most sense($$$) in the heavyweights division in the USA. Get this fight on. Please Haye step up, this is the perfect coming to America fight for you, you'll make tons of money. James Toney is Back, Fuck Yea.
Warlord
Glad to see I'm not the only one hoping for a Haye/Toney fight. It's a fight I think Toney can win too. Haye's a small heavy like James who, generally speaking, likes to punch. He'd be tailor-made for Toney's style.

James would eat his lunch, and enjoy it too, I think.
King Eugene
Am I the only one that thinks this is a lose lose for Haye. He wins and he beats an old Toney, he lose and pretty his HW reign is over. I like Toney but I say fuck it...go ahead and retire his ass and lets progress in the HW division and get these old suckas out of here.

Are people forgetting about the Fres fight?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 14 2009, 12:01 AM) *
Am I the only one that thinks this is a lose lose for Haye. He wins and he beats an old Toney, he lose and pretty his HW reign is over. I like Toney but I say fuck it...go ahead and retire his ass and lets progress in the HW division and get these old suckas out of here.

Are people forgetting about the Fres fight?

No nobody's forgetting about Fres but for what Toney has achieved in his career and the way he has done it I think many of us have a soft spot for James. Personally I'd love to see him get a HW strap in his hands before it's lights out for Light Out.
The Original MrFactor
Haye D12 over TONEY. The press conferences would be the best part about it. It could be a fun fight to watch even though I think Haye is a little too young and fresh for TONEY who has trouble with faster guys.

I think Hay vs Chambers or Povetkin is much more interesting and entertaining. The young cream of the crop heavyweights going at it could make it fun to watch the division again. I for one would love to see the era of the GIANT heavyweights run its course... I think the KLITS and LEWIS were dominant because they were so much bigger than everyone else. They were bigger and very skilled...
sweetchuck
Yeah, a lot of us do have a soft spot for Toney, I have had the privelige of seeing Toney twice, the best of Toney (vs. Dominic Guinn) and the worst (vs. Montel Griffin 2). I would like to see Toney in a big fight, like against the Hopkins-Jones winner, but not David Haye.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (sweetchuck @ Nov 14 2009, 01:22 AM) *
Yeah, a lot of us do have a soft spot for Toney, I have had the privelige of seeing Toney twice, the best of Toney (vs. Dominic Guinn) and the worst (vs. Montel Griffin 2). I would like to see Toney in a big fight, like against the Hopkins-Jones winner, but not David Haye.

Not so much Jones for me. I would love to see TONEY vs Hopkins, just because I feel cheated due to that one never coming to fruition... Let them meet at 200 and both go out with this as their swan song next summer...
King Eugene
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Nov 14 2009, 02:04 AM) *
No nobody's forgetting about Fres but for what Toney has achieved in his career and the way he has done it I think many of us have a soft spot for James. Personally I'd love to see him get a HW strap in his hands before it's lights out for Light Out.

He already has one. The IBA title for what its worth. Toney talks up a good one but what was the last meaningful fight he won? Don't get me wrong I like Toney and all but I dont think he'll be either Klit or Haye but I be damn if I wouldn't like to see them though. The press tours alone would be classic but at the end of the day he'd lose to all three.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 14 2009, 01:31 AM) *
He already has one. The IBA title for what its worth. Toney talks up a good one but what was the last meaningful fight he won? Don't get me wrong I like Toney and all but I dont think he'll be either Klit or Haye but I be damn if I wouldn't like to see them though. The press tours alone would be classic but at the end of the day he'd lose to all three.

I agree with you about the Fres fight..Yet,he has shown he wants to get back in shape which can lead to new things..His stomach was so big it limited his movement in every way..If we see a Toney weighing in at 220 to fight Haye,I think he has a very good chance of winning..The weight really screwed him over against Fres..He was way too fat..
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Nov 14 2009, 02:57 AM) *
I agree with you about the Fres fight..Yet,he has shown he wants to get back in shape which can lead to new things..His stomach was so big it limited his movement in every way..If we see a Toney weighing in at 220 to fight Haye,I think he has a very good chance of winning..The weight really screwed him over against Fres..He was way too fat..

Man I like Toney but one day somebody is going to make him eat his words. One concern I have is would Toney have enough pop to keep Haye off of him? I mean if Haye feels like Toney cant hurt him wouldn't he be more comfortable letting his hands go on the smaller and older fighter.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 14 2009, 02:35 AM) *
Man I like Toney but one day somebody is going to make him eat his words. One concern I have is would Toney have enough pop to keep Haye off of him? I mean if Haye feels like Toney cant hurt him wouldn't he be more comfortable letting his hands go on the smaller and older fighter.

I think after Haye gets countered enough with Toney's right hand whether it hurts him or not,it will bust him up like we've seen it do to heavyweights..If Toney has new energy from getting down in weight,he'll make Haye pay if he throws a lot of punches..If he is the Toney from the Fres fight,he'll have hell trying to get Haye to stop punching..Jean Marc Mormeck is a hard puncher at cruiserweight and he dropped Haye so Haye can be put down and that may be why he fought the way he did against Valuev..He fears a heavyweight punch..He really doesn't want the Klitchkos,he just did what he did to get his name out there in the division..If he was scared of Valuev's punch,no way would he be willing to take on either Klitchko..Wlad has a really good right hand..
kidbazooka1
A well trained and motivated Toney could whoop Haye. But im not sure Toney has the desire anymore.
Maxy
I'd far rather see Haye-Toney than Haye-Ruiz. Toney is one of my all time favourites and I believe he definitely has enough pop left to hurt Haye, who isn't the most granite chinned of fighters. The trash talk would be blinding.

I'm just not too convinced that Toney could win this fight now though.
caneman
We all got ripped off of the Toney that stays 15 lbs away from a fight weight about 220! The man has mad skills & other than a time or two, we never got to see him @ higher weights like when he fought in 2003 vs Vassiliy Jirov...that man would have all the belts on lock down IMO!

STEVENSKI
Can someone, anyone please explain to me how Toney even remotely deserves a shot at a heavyweight title? Whjat has he done? Who has he beat? Sure his fat fuckin mouth is P4P but this ain't a talking comp this is boxing & Toney ain't done shit for years. He should just fuck off & die a artery clogged death witha grimace on his Mc hamburgler face & leave teh fighting to active deserving fighters.
salvador
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 14 2009, 08:12 PM) *
Can someone, anyone please explain to me how Toney even remotely deserves a shot at a heavyweight title? Whjat has he done? Who has he beat?

What did Haye do to deserve a title shot other than run his mouth? Toney could do that too.

I'd take Peter over Haye any day and Toney fought two close fights with Peter, not to mention beating Holyfield.

Not that I really give a shit other than I'm already bored with Haye and that fight last weekend with Valuev might have been the most boring hw fight I've ever seen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.