Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where does Cotto go from here??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
The Original MrFactor
I thought he should have taken a year off after the Margarito fight. I think he should take a year off after this one. 2 Brutal beatings that almost went the distance inside of a year and a half. The guy is a warrior. This beating probably took alot of bite out of the dog. I think he will have problems if he comes back too soon. Maybe catch a light puncher like Luis Collazo in a year to see where he's at. I hope the guy recovers fully and I wish him well. He's a great warrior and has made me a fan over the years. Miguel Cotto always puts on a tremendous fight. The man has never been in a bad fight from what I've seen...

Thank You Miguel Cotto... from a fan...
Snoop
Cotto went out like a warrior and handled his loss like a true gentlemen. I really appreciated his willingness to stick around after the fight (unlike Hatton) and give Manny his due respect. To this day he continues to make no excuses, even after he got beat up by Plasterhands for 11 rounds, and brings it 100% everytime. He guarantees a good fight and never disrespects the sport by going back on any fight negotiation. This guy is all business and pure class. Since he has spoke about retirement soon, I say he takes one or two more big, but winnable fights. Hatton is someone I'd like to see him face, just cuz I never get tired of seeing Hatton get his ass kicked.
frankypc
As a fan of Cotto i think he should retire. Almost all his fights in 147 have been brutal. I think he should retire and or take a long rest as you guys said.
Keith
Cotto should fade into bolivion.
mexi-cutioner
Unless he's still got that fire in the belly,the amount of money he made tonight should keep him financially secure for awhile. That being said, I think it would be best for him to retire, but if not, a couple gimme fights after a long break may be what he needs.
salvador
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Nov 15 2009, 08:16 AM) *
Cotto went out like a warrior and handled his loss like a true gentlemen.

I agree that he was a class act/gentleman and that he was tough as hell for a few rounds, but I thought his spirit got broken somewhere around the 5th. I can't help but think that the Marg fight really did hurt him mentally. Once he started backpeddling, I just wanted him to retire at that very minute.

Without the Marg fight I can't help but believe that he would have continued throwing (his punches were heavy and landing occasionally) and stalking like Tito did in the Hopkins fight, but Cotto essentially gave up in the middle of the fight.

He's a different fighter now who gave it all in the ring and now he should ride off into the sunset.
Douchebag
Cotto should hang them up. Physically, he still has some tools, but I don't think he has it in him to ''great" again.
'
BigG
Wouldn't mind seeing Cotto take a couple of easy fights after taking on Judah-Mosley-Margarito-Clottey-Pacquiao...
JLUVBABY
dam i like cotto but i just dont see him ever being the cotto of a couple of years ago again... he's taking some brutal beatings... he left a part of himself in the ring vs margarito and he left a part of himself in the ring last night... as a fan of his id like to see him retire...
darroy
i think he is on that list with guys like j taylor, jeff lacy, of guys who should at least consider retiring. they've all suffered very significant punishment and still aren't what you would consider old fighters yet. i don't see where any of the three can improve off of their recent performances. with a long break maybe cotto could recover somewhat be he still will never be the same guy he once was due to what he's endured. cotto's career reminds me so much of fernando vargas's career. they were the same type of fighter and both had great success early against very good opposition, but then were both ruined in brutal fights. (vargas w/ trinidad, and cotto w/marg.) whatever cotto does as a fight fan i wish him nothing but the best in his career and life.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (darroy @ Nov 15 2009, 12:23 PM) *
i think he is on that list with guys like j taylor, jeff lacy, of guys who should at least consider retiring. they've all suffered very significant punishment and still aren't what you would consider old fighters yet. i don't see where any of the three can improve off of their recent performances. with a long break maybe cotto could recover somewhat be he still will never be the same guy he once was due to what he's endured. cotto's career reminds me so much of fernando vargas's career. they were the same type of fighter and both had great success early against very good opposition, but then were both ruined in brutal fights. (vargas w/ trinidad, and cotto w/marg.) whatever cotto does as a fight fan i wish him nothing but the best in his career and life.

Good post.
EpTXCHAMP
cotto vs who??? I mean judah is at 140, he already beat clottey,shane,

Call me crazy but all that is really out there for him money wise is margs...he can go after the cintrons or maybe urkals again headlining in Rico but either way I dont see cotto back in the elite mix for all of 2010
Lil-lightsout
I think Cotto should take a long brake, or just retire. I really respect him for his desire to always take on tough challenges and give good fights. He definately needs a new trainer. He really fades to early in fights, like last night. He was doing fine early on, but he lost so much snap on his punches midway through the fight. I just think he needs better preparation. I wish him the best in his decision regardless.
provo
Cotto is done!
He hasn't been the same fighter since Margacheto beat him !
Best of luck to cotto in what ever he does but he should consider retiring from boxing!
Method
Cotto should take a short break (maybe 2 mos), then hire a world class trainer (Naazim?), work w him loosely for another few months, and then make one last run....IF he wants to continue in the sport.

If he's gonna continue to try and run his own show and train himself, he's kidding himself.
Snoop
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 15 2009, 08:45 PM) *
Cotto should take a short break (maybe 2 mos), then hire a world class trainer (Naazim?), work w him loosely for another few months, and then make one last run....IF he wants to continue in the sport.

If he's gonna continue to try and run his own show and train himself, he's kidding himself.

Most DEFINITELY needs to get a new corner. Strategy and gameplan made the difference last night.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Nov 15 2009, 02:47 PM) *
Most DEFINITELY needs to get a new corner. Strategy and gameplan made the difference last night.

I think a new trainer can help against the margs and cintrons who cotto will prob be facing now

however I dont know if game plan made the difference. Its like cotto said you just dont see the angles or punches coming from pac not sure if anyone saw barrera's interview last night but he said the same thing. that no sparring partner or training gets u prepared for that! Cotto has been in with zab who has crazy hand speed even shane who has decent speed and yet he off set them with timing and his strong jab. now cotto's corner pleaded for him to jab more but he just wouldnt after the second knock down.

REwatch the fight and you'll see cotto was doing good the first 4 rds when he used his strong jab to knock back pac. IT was just that one shot he wouldnt see coming that would knock him down and give the rd to pac!

in short I guess what I'm saying is no trainer in the world Nazz hell even lou duva, wouldnt have lead cotto to a win last night
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 15 2009, 02:45 PM) *

Totally agree.

Snoop
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Nov 15 2009, 09:24 PM) *
I think a new trainer can help against the margs and cintrons who cotto will prob be facing now

however I dont know if game plan made the difference. Its like cotto said you just dont see the angles or punches coming from pac not sure if anyone saw barrera's interview last night but he said the same thing. that no sparring partner or training gets u prepared for that! Cotto has been in with zab who has crazy hand speed even shane who has decent speed and yet he off set them with timing and his strong jab. now cotto's corner pleaded for him to jab more but he just wouldnt after the second knock down.

REwatch the fight and you'll see cotto was doing good the first 4 rds when he used his strong jab to knock back pac. IT was just that one shot he wouldnt see coming that would knock him down and give the rd to pac!

in short I guess what I'm saying is no trainer in the world Nazz hell even lou duva, wouldnt have lead cotto to a win last night

I disagree. I think the rumors about Cotto being frustrated in camp and just kicking out the problems rather than dealing with them showed up last night. A good trainer would have made Cotto face his shortcomings and improve on them. I also think Roach really studied Cotto and came up with a good gameplan. Team Cotto, on the other hand, seemed just there to please their guy.
kidbazooka1
Cotto ain't done he might not be what he once was but he still has alot left in the tank. I think he fought pretty damn good last night and I would personaly favor him over Mosley in a rematch, Berto, and Cintron.
darroy
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Nov 15 2009, 04:42 PM) *
Cotto ain't done he might not be what he once was but he still has alot left in the tank. I think he fought pretty damn good last night and I would personaly favor him over Mosley in a rematch, Berto, and Cintron.

i think cotto does have something left but i wouldn't say a lot. there are winnable fights for him but at this point i don't think mosley is one of them. no matter what he has all my respect for being a true fighter and giving us great thrills over the last 5 years or so.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Nov 15 2009, 03:41 PM) *
I disagree. I think the rumors about Cotto being frustrated in camp and just kicking out the problems rather than dealing with them showed up last night. A good trainer would have made Cotto face his shortcomings and improve on them. I also think Roach really studied Cotto and came up with a good gameplan. Team Cotto, on the other hand, seemed just there to please their guy.

I just think the speed and angles frustrate the hell out of pac's opponents I mean it's no coincidence that david diaz, morales, barrera, DLH and now cotto all got frustrated and gave up on the jab. his speed just takes it away I mean that doesnt take much game planning lol now I like freddie not takin any credit from him just think pac had more to do with the win than game plans and corner men
Nay_Sayer
He should retire. Taken too many beatings. From this point on, the beatings will only get worse...
PR316
Cotto needs to take some time off. 2-3 months.

A new trainer is in order. The corner was very much a mess last night.

A come back fight against Ricky Hatton would be a good tune up. Then take a couple more easy fights before going for another world title.
Maxy
QUOTE (PR316 @ Nov 15 2009, 04:45 PM) *

A come back fight against Ricky Hatton would be a good tune up. Then take a couple more easy fights before going for another world title.

I'd be stunned if Hatton went anywhere near Cotto to be honest. He actually predicted a Cotto win last night as it goes. Can't see him wanting anything to do with Miguel.

No, for me, Cotto needs a few confidence builders...he's still got something to offer and I hope he doesn't think about walking away.
caneman
I hope he keeps fighting if he has it in his heart...if not, I hope he enjoys his life, friends, family & the money he has made! If he does the right thing with his money, he should be able to retire right now! No matter, I wish him the very best in every walk of life!
Fitz
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 16 2009, 06:45 AM) *

Agreed. I think Cotto boxed nicely early and what I saw he had the tools, he just couldn't stick to a game plan. He needs discipline and not get too macho in there. He can't run the show in camp, he needs someone to show him the way.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (PR316 @ Nov 15 2009, 04:45 PM) *

I agree he definitly needs a new trainer. I read an article saying that he should team up with Nacho Beristian don't know about the possibilty of that but in my opinion Nacho would be the way to go.
rusty_trombone
I'm pretty sure, after a beating like that, Cotto will never be the same. When you lose the fight that is supposed to be the pinnacle of your career, and aren't even competitive, that should be a sign to hang them up. It's a long painful descent from here, just go out somewhat on top.
frankypc
Fitz thats exactly what was frustrating for me as a fan of Cotto yesterday. He has the tools to be even better. But he wants to be this pressure guy always, and when that dont work he looks lost. Yesterday it was so obvious after he got hurt that all his demeanor changed and mentally he lost his way. His corner wasnt very good but they at least were screaming for him to use the jab but he just could not handle not being the stronger guy.
frankypc
Fitz thats exactly what was frustrating for me as a fan of Cotto yesterday. He has the tools to be even better. But he wants to be this pressure guy always, and when that dont work he looks lost. Yesterday it was so obvious after he got hurt that all his demeanor changed and mentally he lost his way. His corner wasnt very good but they at least were screaming for him to use the jab but he just could not handle not being the stronger guy and Pac, wow what a fighter!
alaganza
still not too sure if cotto has anything left. i didn't think he did coming into the fight. that's due to the cheating ways of margarito.

I feel bad for cotto because he was robbed of his career from a guy that decided to cheat instead of work hard the way true champs are supposed to.

If he does fight again his name is worth something. but cotto, in my opinion, should hang em up.
Fitz
QUOTE (frankypc @ Nov 16 2009, 10:16 AM) *
Fitz thats exactly what was frustrating for me as a fan of Cotto yesterday. He has the tools to be even better. But he wants to be this pressure guy always, and when that dont work he looks lost. Yesterday it was so obvious after he got hurt that all his demeanor changed and mentally he lost his way. His corner wasnt very good but they at least were screaming for him to use the jab but he just could not handle not being the stronger guy.

Exactly. I was also getting pissed off because he was neglecting the body as well. I agree he has the tools, but he sometimes tries too hard like you already said on being the stronger guy. He tries to be too macho and suffers because of it. He needed to box how he did with Mosley and early on. He counters well, and when uses his jab, he gives fighters trouble. He can get away with being overly aggressive with some fighters and others he can't. He needs to learn on when he can and can't.
frankypc
Yeah, Pac was there to be hit in the ropes a few times and Cotto just stood there doing nothing. It was really out of character for him. I know he could not let it all out because Pac was faster, but like he did with that sick uppercut that went through Pacs guard he could have also gone to the body. Clottey did the same thing and Cotto made him pay. This time Cotto just let Pac be there static not throwing even once. Even roach admitted that Pac was staying in the ropes too much in the beginning of the fight, Cotto just wasnt there mentaly after being hurt. The last time he was in the canvas by a punch per se was a long time ago. Maybe that was it?
D-MARV
Cotto-Hatton!
alaganza
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Nov 15 2009, 07:58 PM) *
Cotto-Hatton!

HA!!! Me and a friend of mine were just talking about that after the fight. Why not? Both can still draw a bit. They could both make some money off the fight and remain "relatively" safe.
frankypc
If the Cotto of yerterday night shows for a Hatton fight its going to be murder for the Brit. Hatton comes in with his chin all there to be hit. As a fan of Cotto i would not mind at all lol
Rivado
I would watch Cotto/Hatton.

Cotto/JMM, hmmmmm.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Nov 15 2009, 07:58 PM) *
Cotto-Hatton!

Cotto would kill Hatton.
Snoop
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Nov 15 2009, 10:10 PM) *
I just think the speed and angles frustrate the hell out of pac's opponents I mean it's no coincidence that david diaz, morales, barrera, DLH and now cotto all got frustrated and gave up on the jab. his speed just takes it away I mean that doesnt take much game planning lol now I like freddie not takin any credit from him just think pac had more to do with the win than game plans and corner men

I think a lot of posters already addressed this but IMO Cotto had the tools to beat Pac yesterday, but he didn't execute them correctly and a lot of that comes from your corner because they are able to see things you can't inside the fight. Pac gets all the credit in the world for training his ass off and coming in the best shape he could, Cotto does too, but ability only takes you so far. There are few fighters that can make their own gameplan and be successful with it. Neither Cotto or Pac are that type IMO.
Douchebag
I still believe that Cotto could have won that fight on Sat. I really don't think he has "IT" in him anymore.
streetlion1
If Cotto gets a world class trainer he should continue to fight. His corner offered him nothing during the Pacman fight. Cotto needs to work on his weaknesses and try to reinvent himself. Having his uncle in his corner would have proved to be a difference IMO.

A long break and a new trainer!!
frankypc
The Conscience, i agree. If after this one if he doesn't learn he cant be complacent he definitely don't have it anymore. You need to have that desire to be great to learn from your mistakes and sadly the plaster thing made Cotto think he dint have anything to improve on, that it was just a fluke. Cotto has great boxing skills that he neglects because he just wants to stream-roll everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.