Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jermaine Taylor will fight on!!!!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
du365
This is from his twitter page...

"about the super six 6 tournament, yes im still apart of it and still have been training very hard for future fights"

I'm happy for him and more importantly, this means no Allan Green on my TV!!! yahoo.gif
STEVENSKI
He must be punch drunk.
Snoop
Dumb move by Taylor. My personal opinion is that he needs to hang em up, but if he wants to stay in boxing, he needs some easier fights to build back his confidence and his fundamentals; not compete against the highest caliber the division has to offer.
caneman
I wonder what the odds are for JT getting KTFO again? 1-2? rolleyes_anim.gif
mrwigi
damn... this guy needs to go sit down somewhere b4 he gets serious brain damage.
Lil-lightsout
Though maybe it's not a bad idea for JT to retire if his heart is not in it, it's ultimately up to him.What I find comical is all these people acting as if he is going to be brain dead and he is punch drunk.He did get KO'd badly against Pavlik the 1st time, but he did NOT take a beating during the fight. He was beating Froch up until the last second KO. And Froch certaintly did not do much physical damage to him. He did not take a BEATING against Abraham either, but the one punch KO was vicious.

There are way way more fighters still fighting today that take tons more punishmant than JT, yet they fight on. Just think of all the bums and scrubs and journeymen that are constantly KO'd on a regular basis. JT is fine physically, it is just his mental aspect that is shaky.
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Nov 16 2009, 09:39 PM) *
Though maybe it's not a bad idea for JT to retire if his heart is not in it, it's ultimately up to him.What I find comical is all these people acting as if he is going to be brain dead and he is punch drunk.He did get KO'd badly against Pavlik the 1st time, but he did NOT take a beating during the fight. He was beating Froch up until the last second KO. And Froch certaintly did not do much physical damage to him. He did not take a BEATING against Abraham either, but the one punch KO was vicious.

There are way way more fighters still fighting today that take tons more punishmant than JT, yet they fight on. Just think of all the bums and scrubs and journeymen that are constantly KO'd on a regular basis. JT is fine physically, it is just his mental aspect that is shaky.

Perhaps, but the concussion he suffered from the last fight, coupled from the streak of KO losses he's been suffering, should AT LEAST make him take a easy tune-up/confidence builder type match, not someone on the elite level like he'll be forced to do in the Super Six.
Tha Docta
he should fight somewhere where they allow body punches. cause they certainly dont allow that kind of shit in germany. he was never given a fair chance to beat abraham.
Method
Taylor needs Pat Burns back, and it might even be too late ( probably is) for that.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Nov 16 2009, 03:43 PM) *
Perhaps, but the concussion he suffered from the last fight, coupled from the streak of KO losses he's been suffering, should AT LEAST make him take a easy tune-up/confidence builder type match, not someone on the elite level like he'll be forced to do in the Super Six.

I would have no problem with JT stepping down from this tourney to fight a confidence builder type fight. Maybe it is a good idea, considering where is mind is probably at right now. My only point was physically and his head should be fine. Thousands of fighters have taking worse punishment than JT, and people act as if he's brain dead or close to death if he fights on.
JLUVBABY
who is taylor set to fight next?... wont matter he is severely damaged goods...
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 16 2009, 03:26 AM) *
He must be punch drunk.

He must be.

They'll be taking him out on a gurney next time....
uppercutking
Taylor really should retire, I have always been a big fan of his and he seems is a real cool dude but I think for his sake and his fam's he needs to hang them up. Ya he was beating froch (who is a bum ass) but he's taken to much punishment lately and anymore could be dangerous and plus you never wanna see a fighter get seriously hurt. However if he chooses to continue, he should have the right to. He might be able to win one fight but I just don't see it happening. AND PLEASe stopp fucking mentioning that BUm ASS allen Green as his replacement
The Original MrFactor
Suicide...
King Eugene
Taylor should not retire! Hell what if Duran would have retired after his first losing streak before coming back and winning the title. Taylor still has something left in him. He's just had some bad luck recently.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 18 2009, 01:52 AM) *
Haha. I wouldn't say bad luck. He just has been getting knocked out.

haha I say bad luck cause he had Pavlik but couldn't finish, had Froch but couldn't finish, and was going to lose a decision with some dignity against Abraham but got cold cocked. Sounds like bad luck to me or an even worse chin. laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 17 2009, 05:39 AM) *
I might be in the minority but I have no problem with Taylor continuing to fight on. What did people want? Him to lose 1 fight, pick up his ball and go home? Yeah he got knocked out against Abraham, he was doing ok up until that point (losing) but not an absolute beat down. He got caught by a good punch and didn't get up.
He may be able to pull out a win or do ok against the other American's like Ward and Dirrell. Don't forget he was beating Froch IMO before he got caught in the last round. Was close to pulling that one out. Kessler, yeah he might get knocked out.
But it's one fight in and has probably got 1/2 most dangerous fighters for him out of the way. Fighters are meant to lose in this tournament, if they wanted them out after a loss they would have made it a knock out tournament. If he gets knocked out cleanly again and looks like shit against one of the less dangerous fighters like Ward or Dirrell and takes punishment from them, yeah then maybe we should get him out. But until then, just relax and just take it easy for the moment.

Let's not start separating this tournament from the rest of his career. Remember prior to the tournament he was already on the downhill and now he's lost 4 of his last 5 fights and 3 of them have been by KO. We need to look at it like that, rather than, "He only lost one fight by KO in the tournament." You honestly don't think he needs a tune-up or an easy confidence builder fight before he heads back out there with the elites?
BigG
he got KTFO with less than 10 seconds in the last round of his last 2 fights.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 18 2009, 07:20 AM) *
He made the right decision in sticking to the tournament. He isn't dead, he wasn't getting a one sided beating. He was losing handily ate some good shots but wasn't a huge beating he was receiving. He got knocked out cold which is actually much safer than what Miguel suffered last weekend.
He put his name in the tournament and should give it a go. If he was expected to retire from the tournament after a KO loss, it would have been stupid. He is giving it a shot and rightfully so. If it keeps continuing yeah, but give it a shot.
Yes he may need a tune-up or an easy confidence builder, but guess what? This is a round robin tournament with the best 168 fighters all fighting each other to see who the best is. It's not some Mickey Mouse club, at least 5 of the 6 fighters are all going to suffer a loss. It's expected to happen. He threw his name into the mix, and I want to see him have another go.
It's not like he was receiving a one sided beat down the whole fight, looked like garbage, lost all his reflexes speed and everything. He was at least being a bit competitive in stages and got hit with a clean shot right at the end. It's boxing.
I can bet that Miguel has suffered A LOT more in his 2 fights with Margarito and Pacquiao than Taylor has suffered in every single KO loss he has had. If it continues, yeah retire, but for crying out loud. I don't want a guy calling it quits because he got stopped in the first fight in a tournament.

I don't recall Cotto suffering from any concussion or having short term memory loss after any fight. Cotto did indeed take a lot of punishment last Saturday, but the way in which Jermaine was KO'd was brutal, head snapping, losing-consciousness-before-hitting-the-ground, type of KOs. Those can be just as dangerous as Cotto-like TKOs.

If he jumps right back into fighting the best, as he will in the tournament, he will lose, point blank, and what's the point in competing in a tournament if you're setting yourself up to lose (besides money, which may be the reason). Yes I see your point about other fighters in the tournament losing and needing to push on, and for the most part, I agree it would defeat the whole purpose of a tournament if fighters called it quits after a loss. In that case, maybe Jermaine shouldn't have joined the tournament in the first place. All other contenders were coming off solid wins and Jermaine was coming off a KO loss to Fronch. It's almost as if Jermaine (and Froch), have already fought two fights of the tournament.

In regards to his health AND his likelihood of winning anything in this tournament, my whole point was that we can't look at it like, "He's only lost once," but rather, "he's lost 4 of the last 5 and 3 by KO," and yes, that is a concern for his health if he's going to hop right back in there with the best in the division. Those are just the facts. Sorry if it's something you "don't want."
King Eugene
You have journey man that get knocked out on a consistent basis. I've seen replacements on Friday Night Fights that had been KO'd in 8 of their last 10 fights and they are still fighting. Let the man fight. Its not like he isn't a threat to any of the guys in the tournament. They still have to be at the top of their game to beat JT.
Snoop
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 18 2009, 07:11 AM) *
You have journey man that get knocked out on a consistent basis. I've seen replacements on Friday Night Fights that had been KO'd in 8 of their last 10 fights and they are still fighting. Let the man fight. Its not like he isn't a threat to any of the guys in the tournament. They still have to be at the top of their game to beat JT.

That's exactly why journeymen are what they are. They keep taking fights they won't win. If JT wants to take that route, by all means, take it. But if JT ever wants to be on top again, he has some serious physical, and more importantly, mental, recuperation.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 18 2009, 08:06 AM) *
Fair point, I forgot about that. But my position still stands. I'm more of the opinion that he can do what he wants, if he wants out for health reasons fine, if he wants to fight on. Fine. But I don't agree with the push for trying to get him out of there. He knew what the tournament was about. Not every fighter was going to win. Look at RJJ, he got knocked out much worse than Taylor ever did and it was 2 consecutive times. People were asking him to retire and now he has a potential fight with Bernard Hopkins line up.

I just think for health reasons AND for career reasons he should pull out of the tournament (using health concerns as the reason of course). I mean am I the only one here that think JT has NO CHANCE at winning this thing?

I'm not saying JT should stop fighting (well I did, but now after reading your guys' posts, I can see why people think he should continue), but he should fight lesser caliber fighters before stepping up to the plate again. True, Roy Jones didn't quit after the Tarver fight, but he lost three consecutive fights afterward, which included never rematching Glen Johnson, which Taylor would have to do (in terms of rematching both fighters he lost to) and fought the likes of Anthony Hanshaw, a blown-up Felix Trinidad, and Price Badi Ajamu for christsakes, before stepping up to lose again to Joe Calzaghe. Plus, Roy Jones is getting that Hopkins fight based on name and history, something JT does not have. And skillwise, JT is no Roy Jones.

This is boxing, people will loose, people will get hurt & people WILL get KO'd. What does he expect? Special consideration?? Who's to say this weeks fight won't end in a brutal KO? Or next rounds fights won't end badly for one of them? So they gonna pack their bags as soon as they loose. These are different circumstances, it's a tounement..finish it off or don't join it.

Yes this is boxing, and people do lose, but the smart thing for any top fighter to do, as I have stated MULTIPLE times in this thread, is take on lesser fighters before shooting for the top. How many of us would think it is a good idea for Cotto to hop into the ring with Shane Mosley or Antonio Margarito right now? No, we'd expect him to take on someone like Michael Jennings after a LONG rest.

Yes this is a tournament and JT knew the stipulations which is why I said, "Maybe he shouldn't have entered the tournament in the first place". But that's all speculation. What we have now is an opportunity for JT to pull out of the tournament for legitimate reasons, and from a health point of view and a career point of view, I think JT should do it. (And yes, suffering from a concussion and not being able to remember events that happened 15mins prior, in front of your wife and children IS a legitimate reason).
Lil-lightsout
Very good points on both sides in this thread, especially the last page. Good luck to JT and hopefully he makes the right decision.
MarzB
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 16 2009, 04:57 PM) *
Taylor needs Pat Burns back, and it might even be too late ( probably is) for that.

From Ouma, Spinks, Wright and Pavlik, it all leads to that one common denominator of no pat Burns. I think he has some confidence issues along with some technique issues that he's doing wrong but he's still got something.

Winning a few fights in this tourney could turn his confidence.
Snoop
QUOTE (MarzB @ Nov 18 2009, 10:57 PM) *
Winning a few fights in this tourney could turn his confidence.

The problem is, he won't.
neophyte7
I knew this fraud was shot when Cory Spinks stunned him at middleweight and really Spinks won that fight LMAO Taylor was propped up and given credit for punches never landed against Hopkins twice... The guy will get KTFO again. He stinks
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Nov 16 2009, 02:39 PM) *
Though maybe it's not a bad idea for JT to retire if his heart is not in it, it's ultimately up to him.What I find comical is all these people acting as if he is going to be brain dead and he is punch drunk.He did get KO'd badly against Pavlik the 1st time, but he did NOT take a beating during the fight. He was beating Froch up until the last second KO. And Froch certainly did not do much physical damage to him. He did not take a BEATING against Abraham either, but the one punch KO was vicious.

There are way way more fighters still fighting today that take tons more punishment than JT, yet they fight on. Just think of all the bums and scrubs and journeymen that are constantly KO'd on a regular basis. JT is fine physically, it is just his mental aspect that is shaky.

It's the way that those last two fights ended that is the cause of concern for Taylor, very brutal head snapping against the canvas KO's. Personally, I think he should retire. If he must fight on, I would mandate a six-month medical leave, just to make sure that he can get a CAT-SCAN and MRI to make sure he is OK. And get two fights that are relatively easy to get his confidence back. Obviously, when you have two back-to-back brutal KO losses like that, there really is no sure easy fight. Yet to put Jermain in with some palooka would just be a waste of time. His health is more important than this tournament. The remaining participants could hurt him very badly.

Jack
alaganza
The blueprint has been laid out on Taylor. Gas 'em then stretch 'em. That's the reason I think he needs lower caliber opponents and more gym work.

He can still have a career but there are some adjustments he needs to make. And those adjusments, IMO, cannot be made during this tournament.
du365
Taylor has Ward next...I think that Taylor can beat him, he has power and natural athleticism, although Ward is the better boxer (who holds unmercifully).
Snoop
QUOTE (alaganza @ Nov 23 2009, 12:24 AM) *
The blueprint has been laid out on Taylor. Gas 'em then stretch 'em. That's the reason I think he needs lower caliber opponents and more gym work.

He can still have a career but there are some adjustments he needs to make. And those adjusments, IMO, cannot be made during this tournament.

Agreed. I'm glad someone finally sees it my way.
Snoop
QUOTE (du365 @ Nov 23 2009, 12:29 AM) *
Taylor has Ward next...I think that Taylor can beat him, he has power and natural athleticism, although Ward is the better boxer (who holds unmercifully).

One thing that Ward has that Taylor doesn't is CONFIDENCE. Ward just came off looking pretty damn good against a former champion. Taylor just got brutally KO'd. Confidence to Ward and the fight game is 90% mental.
Nay_Sayer
I'm calling it now,

Ward retires Taylor...
D-MARV
If a smaller, weaker, slower Cory Spinks Boxed Taylor's ears off, Imagine What Ward will do. This fight is gonna be the most One-Sided fight Taylor has ever been in.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Nov 22 2009, 06:44 PM) *
I'm calling it now,

Ward retires Taylor...

Cosign. And I am not exactly thrilled about the way that Ward may retire him.

Jack
JonnyBlaze
For Taylor to keep fighting top guys like this is really bad..He needs to go fight some bums and get his shit going again..He is going to look really bad against Ward and won't be able to keep the pace up and Ward will put him to sleep even though he's not the biggest puncher..Taylor should have gotten out and someone like Allen Green should have replaced him..
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Nov 23 2009, 02:57 AM) *
For Taylor to keep fighting top guys like this is really bad..He needs to go fight some bums and get his shit going again..He is going to look really bad against Ward and won't be able to keep the pace up and Ward will put him to sleep even though he's not the biggest puncher..Taylor should have gotten out and someone like Allen Green should have replaced him..

Allen Green = Shi'ite...

Surely there are more deserving 168lb fighters.

Green beats up on a couple of BUMS, STIFFs, TOMATO CANs, and NO-HOPERs then he starts to think like he's the best thing since sliced bread. Green should rematch Miranda and get knocked out again...
Snoop
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Nov 23 2009, 04:37 PM) *
Allen Green = Shi'ite...

Surely there are more deserving 168lb fighters.

Green beats up on a couple of BUMS, STIFFs, TOMATO CANs, and NO-HOPERs then he starts to think like he's the best thing since sliced bread. Green should rematch Miranda and get knocked out again...

Allan Green didn't get knocked out by Miranda.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 23 2009, 12:18 PM) *

Haha...beat me to it. Also,didn't Green have some type of serious illness going into that fight? Forget what I heard.
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Nov 23 2009, 05:29 PM) *
Haha...beat me to it. Also,didn't Green have some type of serious illness going into that fight? Forget what I heard.

I think he had issues with his kidneys, something to do with his blood.
Tha Docta
he had part of his colon removed. but either way, he fought like a complete bitch that fight and im not too interested in seeing him fight again.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Tha Docta @ Nov 23 2009, 01:18 PM) *
he had part of his colon removed. but either way, he fought like a complete bitch that fight and im not too interested in seeing him fight again.

Duran quit.
Tyson quit by biting an ear off.
Tszyu quit.
Roger Mayweather quit.
Oscar quit.
Cotto quit.
Chavez quit.

All these great fighters quit during fights, no ones perfect, and atleast he(Green) did not quit. He had a bad performance, that should not define his career. Not to mention the serious health issue he had. Green has got great power, and I would not mind seeing him in the mix, definately more than the shell shocked Taylor who refuses to do anything but pace himself and jab. The ONLY kind of victory JT was looking for in his fight with Abraham was a moral victory by staying on his feet. Which didn't work out too well for him.
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Nov 23 2009, 06:47 PM) *
Duran quit.
Tyson quit by biting an ear off.
Tszyu quit.
Roger Mayweather quit.
Oscar quit.
Cotto quit.
Chavez quit.

All these great fighters quit during fights, no ones perfect, and atleast he(Green) did not quit. He had a bad performance, that should not define his career. Not to mention the serious health issue he had. Green has got great power, and I would not mind seeing him in the mix, definately more than the shell shocked Taylor who refuses to do anything but pace himself and jab. The ONLY kind of victory JT was looking for in his fight with Abraham was a moral victory by staying on his feet. Which didn't work out too well for him.

I agree. I think I am one of few that actually like Allan Green (with exception to his managment choices of course, lol). But he is a pretty exciting fighter, has good fundamentals, just throws them out the window the second a fight gets emotional. I mean we're talking about the Super Middleweight Division here, why wouldn't we want more fighters involved?
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 23 2009, 11:18 AM) *

I stand corrected.

However, that only makes it worse.

I can understand getting KO'ed by Miranda because he can just flat out PUNCH.

Seeing as he can't box for shit, dropping a decision to Mirada is hard to explain, IMO...

Green = Shi'ite....
blackbelt2003
No way should Taylor quit.

IF fighters are gonna start quitting halfway through tournaments for no reason other than they got knocked out, then we may as well stop with these types of events, because it's boxing...and boxing can equal knockouts!

Taylor is a boxer. He gets paid (very well) to box. And despite going 1-4 in his last few fights, he is about to get a world title shot and a big pay day. And he's supposed to turn that down?

Hell no! If he was getting beat down regularly by scrubs or looked all faded and shot, then that's one call.

But to lose in close fights, all to world title level opponents is not a reason to retire.

There are scrubs and journeymen and run of the mill fighters who would KILL to be in Taylor's position, 1-4 with a world title shot and big money pay day (TWO of 'em) still guaranteed in this tournament, and he should retire? He's a boxer, man, let him box.

Black
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Nov 23 2009, 02:33 PM) *

IF fighters are gonna start quitting halfway through tournaments for no reason other than they got knocked out, then we may as well stop with these types of events, because it's boxing...and boxing can equal knockouts!

Taylor is a boxer. He gets paid (very well) to box. And despite going 1-4 in his last few fights, he is about to get a world title shot and a big pay day. And he's supposed to turn that down?

Hell no! If he was getting beat down regularly by scrubs or looked all faded and shot, then that's one call.

But to lose in close fights, all to world title level opponents is not a reason to retire.

There are scrubs and journeymen and run of the mill fighters who would KILL to be in Taylor's position, 1-4 with a world title shot and big money pay day (TWO of 'em) still guaranteed in this tournament, and he should retire? He's a boxer, man, let him box.

Black

That's all good in fine for the money aspect, but as a fan I want to see someone who is not mentally shot. JT played it way too safe against AA and still got KO'd. He refused to do anything but jab and pace himself. Sorry, but I would MUCH rather see someone who is going to try and WIN instead of survive in there. I would take a great puncher like Green anyday over JT at this point. But if JT wants to fight on, sure it's his call. But there is no denying he is a mental wreck right now and doubtful he will ever recover. A step down in comp would probably be his best bet. Now if he proves me wrong with a strong solid performance, I will be the first to admit I was wrong.
Snoop
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Nov 23 2009, 07:25 PM) *
I stand corrected.

Seeing as he can't box for shit, dropping a decision to Mirada is hard to explain, IMO...

Green = Shi'ite....

Well, to be fair to you, he would have gotten KO'd had the fight gone 12 rounds. Green just seemed to have a lackluster about him in that fight (probably due to the colon surgery) and really did, nothing in the fight.

But when he did turn it on, he knocked Miranda down pretty flush and would have had more success if he decided to box intelligently and wait for openings. I still seem him as an exciting fighter in the division.
Snoop
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Nov 23 2009, 07:33 PM) *

Black

I agree with the fact that pulling out of a tournament after such a KO loss defeats it's whole purpose, but when exactly was the last time Jermaine Taylor looked impressive? 2005? In comparison to the competition, who all came off impressive, or at least, wins, his recent performances have been awful.

Sure he gets a guaranteed paycheck and a shot at the title, but who here actually thinks he has a reasonable chance to win it? Journeymen would kill to be in his position but that's why they are journeymen. Like I said before, if JT wants to take that downward path, and kind of make this his last hurrah, then yes, stay in the tournament. But if he ever wants to be on top again, I think he should pull out and rebuild himself, because the path ahead of him in the tournament is just too difficult.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 23 2009, 10:02 PM) *
Man I say this just about every time you post, but post more. You are my favourite poster, you always think the same way I do. lol.

LMAO, me and Fitzy got some man love going on here! It's all good, bro, wish I had more time to sit on my PC with you all and debate all things beautiful in the world of boxing and porn, but I gots to earn my cash, mate! I don't know how you bloody lot find the time!

drinks.gif

Black
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Nov 23 2009, 02:25 PM) *
I stand corrected.

Green = Shi'ite....

Green would be more exciting to see than JT in my opinion..JT is shot like Lil-lightsout said..Green did have major health problems for the Miranda fight so ya do have to let that one slide..He's a warrior for getting in there..He dropped Miranda and Miranda dropped him..

How about Sakio Bika then??I'd also prefer him over JT..
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Nov 25 2009, 05:02 AM) *
Green would be more exciting to see than JT in my opinion..JT is shot like Lil-lightsout said..Green did have major health problems for the Miranda fight so ya do have to let that one slide..He's a warrior for getting in there..He dropped Miranda and Miranda dropped him..

How about Sakio Bika then??I'd also prefer him over JT..

I'd prefer Chad Dawson over all of them.

Dawson vs. Ward would be a great fight now without the tournament.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.