Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has Pacquiao won 7 titles in 7 divisions?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Snoop
I'll be the first to admit that I didn't start watching Pacquiao until after his destruction of Barrera in their first match-up so I don't know much about his career pre-featherweight and to be honest, a lot of his fights afterward a lot of time were not for belts, (like his fights against Morales, DLH and Hatton) but rather the fights people wanted to see (something I commend him for btw), so it was hard for me to keep track of which fights had a title on the line, and which ones didn't. But after looking at Boxrec, it looks like that he actually only won 5 belts or are they counting the "International" versions as well?
Snoop
Damn 165 views and nobody knows?
BigG
WBC Flyweight
IBF Super Bantamweight
RING Magazine Featherweight
WBC Super Featherweight
WBC Lightweight
RING Magazine Junior Welterweight
WBO Welterweight
Snoop
QUOTE (BigG @ Nov 16 2009, 11:44 PM) *
WBC Flyweight
IBF Super Bantamweight
RING Magazine Featherweight
WBC Super Featherweight
WBC Lightweight
RING Magazine Junior Welterweight
WBO Welterweight

Has the RING magazine belt always been considered legit?
torvix2000
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Nov 17 2009, 12:54 AM) *

Who's the opponent? Then judge it by yourself.
Snoop
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Nov 16 2009, 11:56 PM) *
Who's the opponent? Then judge it by yourself.

True enough. Just remembered all the debate back when those fights were being made at 126 and 140. Thanks for the explanation ya'll.
BigG
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Nov 16 2009, 11:54 PM) *

I'm not sure but Pacquiao was the linear champion in those weights.
thehype
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Nov 16 2009, 06:54 PM) *

FUCK no it's not legit...especially when a promotional company owns the fucking magazine!

But I mean...whatever...it is what it is....that's great that he picked up another title in another division. Good for him.

HOWEVER...all this talk about him being the G.O.A.T.?????????

PLEASE!

There's only one G.O.A.T. and no, I'm not talking about Muhammad Ali.

SUGAR RAY ROBINSON always has been and always will be the Greatest Of ALL Time!

173-19-6, 108 KOs

Any fighter who even tries to claim to be better than Sugar Ray Robinson, particularly Floyd Mayweather Jr., should be slapped in their mouth and put on an automatic one year suspension.

None of these cats could even hold Robinson's jock strap! These chumps fighting once or twice a year...pfffffff...WEAK! Hell, even in Sugar Ray's last year, when he was a shell of his former self, he had like 14 fights and only lost 5 of them. 14 fucking fights in one year...could you imagine somebody in our time just fighting 7 times in a year? Hell...how about 4 times in a year? The muddasucka was such a bad ass that when he lost for the first time in his career, he took a "tune-up" two weeks later and then fought the rematch a week after that. Now THAT'S a bad ass muddasucka right there. Guys today, they get one or two losses and they're already talking about retirement.

Manny and/or Floyd might be the G.O.O.T., the Greatest Of Our Time, but neither one of them will EVER be the the G.O.A.T.!
caneman
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 16 2009, 07:46 PM) *
FUCK no it's not legit...especially when a promotional company owns the fucking magazine!

But I mean...whatever...it is what it is....that's great that he picked up another title in another division. Good for him.

PLEASE!

173-19-6, 108 KOs

Any fighter who even tries to claim to be better than Sugar Ray Robinson, particularly Floyd Mayweather Jr., should be slapped in their mouth and put on an automatic one year suspension.

None of these cats could even hold Robinson's jock strap! These chumps fighting once or twice a year...pfffffff...WEAK! Hell, even in Sugar Ray's last year, when he was a shell of his former self, he had like 14 fights and only lost 5 of them. 14 fucking fights in one year...could you imagine somebody in our time just fighting 7 times in a year? Hell...how about 4 times in a year? The muddasucka was such a bad ass that when he lost for the first time in his career, he took a "tune-up" two weeks later and then fought the rematch a week after that. Now THAT'S a bad ass muddasucka right there. Guys today, they get one or two losses and they're already talking about retirement.

Manny and/or Floyd might be the G.O.O.T., the Greatest Of Our Time, but neither one of them will EVER be the the G.O.A.T.!

Even this guy huh>>>>> won 103 (KO 48) + lost 8 (KO 2) + drawn 3 = 115
rounds boxed 956
Newspaper Decisions won 157 : lost 12 : drawn 15
rounds boxed 1634
Total Bouts 299 KO% 16.05
leonthegee
anything under jr lightweight shouldnt shouldnt even count. i take that back anything under 126.
Snoop
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 17 2009, 12:46 AM) *

PLEASE!

173-19-6, 108 KOs

Would you consider the statement "Manny Pacquiao has won 7 titles in 7 divisions" as legitimate then?
JLUVBABY
i gotta say this... is pac 7 time champ in as many weight divisions?... i wouldnt say so... he has won some big fights tho where you could say he was the best at those weights, last night being a key fight cuzz him beating cotto was major... very major in my opinion cuzz cotto regardless what anyone else on this forum thinks was not a shot fighter... yes you could make the case he was shopworn but he did beat mosely not to many fights ago so mosely is not the man as some would like to think he is... if anything the true welterweight championship is vacant as of right now but pac beat 1a... you could call mosely 1b... with mayweather having a claim to 1b as well if you wanna look at it that way... pac beat a fighter that for all case and purposes was the strongest welterweight in the division and from what i could see pac was actually the bigger fighter, and showed to be the stronger fighter...

pac may not be a true 7 time champ but he is a very legit welterweight and it is in my opinion that if he was to fight mosely he knocks out mosely (never thought id say that)... reason being is styles make fights... osely very much like cotto is a want to be brawler even though he has very good boxing skills... the brawl would i am sure prove to be his downfall.... pac would eventually catch up to mosely in the mid rounds and get the ko later...

i know i have lost a little respect for how mayweather talked in his interview with ra the rugged man but i saw sumthin in the cotto fight that mayweather will naturally take full advantage of naturally... that is... when cotto, early in the fight boxed pac he great success... i think that would have continued had cotto stayed with that game plan... to me it looked like cotto didnt figure pac could hurt him and converted to brawl mode to get the ko... as we know big mistake and the fight became what it did and ended accordingly (in my opinion after that second knockdown desperation set in taking cotto out of his game plan... just my opinion...)

in mayweather pac will be fighting a guy that WILL utilize that boxing skill cotto showed only to a better degree all night long... pac may have moments but i see pac getting countered and pop shotted all night long in that fight slowly swelling up... stylewise i dont see it a good match up for pac... then again i have bet against pac his last 3 fights now and im glad i didnt bet money... but again, hate him if you will this is lil floyd we are talking about all of a sudden... hate him if you will and i can see why but this is a hard fight for pac, the dynamo that he is... not taking nuthin from pac cuzz he deserves the accolades he has been getting but in this one fight i think its just a bad match up for him.... i hope they make the fight so we can see...

found this on floyd wants pac to call him out...

read and draw your own conclusion... i will say this.. the longer they wait the better the chance they take of either guy getting clipped... they need to make the fight now instead of later...
thehype
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 16 2009, 08:08 PM) *
Would you consider the statement "Manny Pacquiao has won 7 titles in 7 divisions" as legitimate then?

I mean, the IBO belt is a title...the NABA belt is a title...the OPBF belt is a title...if we're just talking titles, then yeah, that might be an accurate statement, although I'd have to go check BoxRec though because to my knowledge, I don't think he ever really won ANY featherweight title other than the Ring title...but for the sake of argument, if we're just talking titles...any title...then yeah, you could probably say that. But if that's the case, let's go back and start counting EVERY title for every fighter. I mean, look at how many titles Roy walked around with...perhaps Roy should say he's won 10 titles in 4 divisions (11 titles in 5 divisions if he beats Danny Green).

In my opinion, picking up a title in a division and then moving along isn't quite as impressive as staying in a division and picking up multiple titles by unifying.

I DEFINITELY don't think a guy should be given credit for picking up a title from a magazine that's owned by a promotional company.

But hey...fuck it...as long as the legend of THE Pacquiao continues to grow, then why not.

laugh.gif
BigG
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 17 2009, 12:46 AM) *

PLEASE!

173-19-6, 108 KOs

WELL said, Hype.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 17 2009, 04:01 AM) *
I DEFINITELY don't think a guy should be given credit for picking up a title from a magazine that's owned by a promotional company.

I see your point but Hatton was the linear 140lb champion he just had his belts stripped by the sanctioning bodies. It is not like he was just given the Ring title.
uppercutking
The Hype is totally correct! Anyone who knows boxing will tell you without a Fucking doubt hands down that the greatest fighter of all time was the real sugar that is sugar ray robinson, I mean just by this one fact that I am going to put out there alone should say it all he fucking fought jake lamotta 6 TIMES 6 FUCKING TIMES AND HE BEAT HIM 5 OUT OF THE 6 times they fought. I love mayweather put when i here and see nonsense written about him being that goat or he even close i just laugh there will never be another sugar ray robinson eaisly the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time i mean come on folks.
caneman
SRR is the greatest who ever lived. In fact the very best of him was never caught on film!
King Eugene
Great Video on Sugar Ray Robinson

And they say Mayweather is an asshole at the negotiation tables. LOL
No but seriously it should give folks a pretty good outlook of the good, the bad, and the ugly about Robinson. If your like me you only care about what he did in the ring but you have some guys that are so judgmental they want to criticize every aspects of a boxers life. I'd like to see what some of guys have to say after viewing this video.
sweetchuck
You could consider Manny the linear champion when he was a featherweight and linear at 140. Case in point, Barrera had defeated Naseem Hamed who had defeated every other featherweight champion at the time. Hamed just continued to defend his WBO title until getting stripped when he fought Barerra. Barrera had even defeated Erik Morales and won and dropped the WBC title so the fight with him and Pacquaio was more of the legit featherweight title than Juan Manuel Marquez fighting Derek Gainer at the time. Ricky Hatton had been stripped of all the titles and lost to Floyd as a welterweight. Therefore, he never really lost the junior welterweight title and he had more of a claim to the title than Timothy Bradley or Kendall Holt or Juan Urango. Take the Ring magazine belt out and he still beat the guys with the rightful claim to the championship of the division. Kind of like when Shannon Briggs got a decision over George Foreman and was considered the rightful heavyweight champion at the time.

If you think about it, Manny's featherweight and junior welterweight titles are more legit than say, the WBO title he just picked up since Cotto had won a vacant title Paul Williams gave up and the lightweight title that David Diaz had won an interim title originally.

As far as belts go, Manny is six in six different weight divisions (like Hype said, if you want to count the IBO), but if you really think about it, he is seven in seven if you go by who really was the man in the division. And case in point Hype, Ring Magazine was not owned by Golden Boy at the time Barrera was Ring champion. Golden Boy bought Ring magazine in 2007, even if you trace it back to when the deal started, three years before, the Pacquaio-Barrera fight happened in 2003.

And speaking of conflicts of promoters and titles, how is Golden Boy owning Ring Magazine and giving out belts any different than say, UFC or Strikeforce having titles, but being the promoter as well. To be fair to Golden Boy and Ring Magazine, there is only one fighter, Juan Manuel Marquez, who is a Golden Boy fighter and Ring Magazine champion. Not that I am sold that they are legit, but they are about they can't be as bad as some of the sanctioning bodies out there.

And yes, Sugar Ray Robinson is the Greatest, I don't think anyone could really argue that. Manny is just going to go down as one of the greatest.
caneman
LOL! Ray was the no doubt, I was just showing some love for Harry Greb who actually did more @ middle than the even the great fighter ever!
Tha Docta
he has yet to win a welterweight title. yes he beat a guy at 145, but thats just not going to cut it.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 17 2009, 06:29 PM) *
LOL! Ray was the no doubt, I was just showing some love for Harry Greb who actually did more @ middle than the even the great fighter ever!

Mad props for Grab.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.