FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
namor
Before the Pac vs Cotto fight:

Freddie Roach says Cotto is damaged
Before the Cotto/Pac fight

http://sport.stv.tv/boxing/136769-fr...damaged-goods/

Freddie Roach believes Cotto is damaged goods

Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach thinks Miguel Cotto needs "time" to recover from his Margarito defeat.

12 November 2009 13:52 PM

* Comment

Freddie Roach believes Cotto is damaged goods

Cotto battles to a split decision victory against Joshua Clottey in his last outing - only the third time in his last 14 fights he has failed to stop an opponent. Photograph by Chris Farina.

Manny Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach claims WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto is not the same since suffering an 11th round technical knockout by Antonio Margarito in July, 2008.

Pacquiao will face Puerto Rican Cotto for the title on Saturday in Las Vegas and should he succeed he will become the first boxer ever to win world titles in seven divisions.

The only blemish on Cotto’s record came under scrutiny recently after Margarito was found to have plaster in his gloves in his next fight against Shane Mosley, but Roach insists whether he was cheating or not the effect on Cotto is the same.

“It doesn’t matter if Margarito did it in that fight or not, a fighter is still not the same following a knockout like that.”

As to how to return from such devastating punishment Roach answered, “Time”.

The trainer, widely considered the best in the business, has put his money where his mouth is. Not only is he betting $1000 each on Pacquiao to win by KO in rounds one, nine or ten, he has also offered a cash incentive for any sparring partner who can floor the Filipino superstar in training.

“I told each sparring partner if they could knock him down, they’d get a $1,000 bonus from me - the money is still in my pocket.

“He did get shook once though, he did. [Shawn] Porter hurt him one time, and Manny came back on the next combination and dropped him.”

Despite Roach’s criticism of Cotto’s ability to bounce back to top form following his defeat last year, his own charge Pacquiao has succeeded doing just that after being knocked out twice in his career.

Cotto maintains that his fights following the defeat, a comfortable TKO of Michael Jennings and a split decision against Joshua Clottey, prove he is back.

“The Margarito fight is out of my mind, out of everything about me,” Cotto said. “If it was still in the way, I wouldn’t have made the comeback I already made this year.”

Here`s from the horses mouth Pac tards ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahah ahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah ahahahahahhahahaha
jlupi
so the board is degrading it seems sad.gif
namor
Pac is a big fat frauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud
BigG
Cotto's not damaged goods..Pac's just a beast and something truly special.
Snoop
QUOTE (BigG @ Nov 17 2009, 10:30 PM) *

I think Cotto was nothing like he was pre-Margarito and Freddie Roach has been quoted saying that, BUT, I bet he would admit that today too. Cotto may not have been at his best for this last fight, but he is still considered one of the welterweight elite. Think about it, at WW, the only other fighter Pacquiao could have really challenged was Mosley, and Cotto was the weaker of the two, yet still held a respectable name. It was a move to build up the Mayweather fight and it worked. This fight is going to be monumental in terms of promotion and grossing sales. Just wait.
salvador
QUOTE (BigG @ Nov 17 2009, 06:30 PM) *

Marg broke his spirit and we saw that clearly on Saturday night beginning around the 5th round. Cotto will never be the lion who knew he could blow through opponents like he did pre-Marg. He just can't believe it like he used to, and his style requires that he believe in his steamrolling ability.
neophyte7
Cotto was damaged goods. If it had been Mayweather whipping Cottos ass even in typical boxing stick and move fashion half of the haters and undercover bigots who hate Mayweather would say that Cotto was indeed damaged goods.
torvix2000
Mosley is damaged goods also.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Nov 17 2009, 06:00 PM) *
Mosley is damaged goods also.

WTF you talking about Cervix? Please respond in a way I can comprehend.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Nov 18 2009, 12:02 AM) *
WTF you talking about Cervix? Please respond in a way I can comprehend.

Mosley is shot.
Lil-lightsout
Def not the same Cotto IMO. He looked it from the get go, but he faded so quick. Guess Hype was not kidding when he said that stuff about Cotto in camp. Cause no way Cotto should have faded so early. He like had no power on his punches halfway through the fight. Not the same Cotto from a few years ago.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Nov 17 2009, 06:14 PM) *
Mosley is shot.

Just your opinion. You have zero evidence. He did not look it one bit against AM. Guess we will see come January when Shane disposes of Berto. Also....please explain why then Pacman ducked Mosley for Cotto instead??? I will tell you why. Roach and Manny knew they were in for a real fight against Mosley and they refused him and looked for the easier night against Cotto.
torvix2000
Cotto was getting tagged by Margarito even in the early rounds. One shot at a time. And against Pacquiao, would it be understable that, Cotto would get hit 3 times as much. And would it be understandable that Cotto would not be able to land the same number of shots on Pac. And would it be understandable that Cotto would get hurt by Pac.

Damaged Goods my as*s. Cotto underestimated Pacquiao and engaged him in round 3. And he's also stupid to engage him again in round 4. UNDERESTIMATION was a hot term before the fight. The questio of who underestimates who lingerered in the board.

Cotto should have maintained the range and amount of "bravery" that he displayed in rounds 1 and 2. But he engaged. Pac was rope-a-doping because he was trying to outsmart Cotto. He was laying a bait. LOL! Cotto fell for it.
leonthegee
ofcourse cotto is shot why else would manny fight him?
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Nov 17 2009, 11:21 PM) *
Just your opinion. You have zero evidence. He did not look it one bit against AM. Guess we will see come January when Shane disposes of Berto. Also....please explain why then Pacman ducked Mosley for Cotto instead??? I will tell you why. Roach and Manny knew they were in for a real fight against Mosley and they refused him and looked for the easier night against Cotto.

Bingo.

Let's not forget during the weight negotiations and how Mosley waltzed in and said "Fuck it. 140!". Team Pacquiao virtually ignored him.
rusty_trombone
Well it only took 2 days for this bullshit thread to pop up. Cotto wasn't damaged goods, he looked like he was fine, he only got damaged after Pac took his fucking head off.
BigG
I just don't think the undefeated Cotto before the Margarito fight beats Manny. More competitive? Maybe? I do agree with LLightsout that Shane is definitely a tougher fght for Pac than Cotto is, pre-Marg and now...Mainly because of Shane's hardness/toughness...
neophyte7
I remember in an interview PBF was talking in response Cotto saying some things prior to him fighting Gatti, Mayweather simply said that Cotto needed to understand that he was still "Green"LMAO and that he better shut up about fighting him LMAO, really, Mayweather would butcher Cotto. Cotto is easy to hit. Even when he goes to his so called defensive mode. I always said that Cotto was getting over on heart and the fact that on fight night he has weight advantages over his opponents. It was the weight advantages that he had over Torres and Chop Chop Corley that in my view allowed him to get threw being nearly KTFO in both those bouts (Corley held back).He outweighed these guys by more than ten pounds, yet these guys showed how hittable and hurtable Cotto was as a fighter even to smaller men...
caneman
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Nov 17 2009, 05:58 PM) *
Cotto was damaged goods. If it had been Mayweather whipping Cottos ass even in typical boxing stick and move fashion half of the haters and undercover bigots who hate Mayweather would say that Cotto was indeed damaged goods.

PBoiF would not of stopped Cotto IMO! Not that he wouldn't have beat the crap outta him but whatever! It's hard to hate PBoiF as a person or a fight(even if he is the most skilled active fighter on the plant & won't show the fans that made him rich!!! LOL!) IMO Cotto was somewhat damaged or @ least just not the same. I really hope that Cotto rest up & really looks @ whether or not he does still have it in him cause I really like Cotto...he is a class act & gave the fans some entertaining moments! I also hope that he was smart enough with his money that IF it is time to hang the gloves up, that he is set for life! If that is the case, I will miss him! Mad props & much love to Cotto & his family!
caneman
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Nov 17 2009, 08:12 PM) *
I remember in an interview PBF was talking in response Cotto saying some things prior to him fighting Gatti, Mayweather simply said that Cotto needed to understand that he was still "Green"LMAO and that he better shut up about fighting him LMAO, really, Mayweather would butcher Cotto. Cotto is easy to hit. Even when he goes to his so called defensive mode. I always said that Cotto was getting over on heart and the fact that on fight night he has weight advantages over his opponents. It was the weight advantages that he had over Torres and Chop Chop Corley that in my view allowed him to get threw being nearly KTFO in both those bouts (Corley held back).He outweighed these guys by more than ten pounds, yet these guys showed how hittable and hurtable Cotto was as a fighter even to smaller men...

LMFAO! Yea, PBoiF has such amazing KO ability @ WW that Cotto should have been really scared huh? Too funny! Look my husband IS the most skilled fight right now but don't act like he is some kinda killer cause he hasn't been for a few years! Geez, LOL!
JLUVBABY
i may be wrong but its probably time to quit hatin pac... cotto rather diminished skills or not had more than hoya nad wasa better fighter saturday than hatton ever was... does pac beat mayweather?... probably not but ive bet against him the last 3 fights and been DEAD wrong... from what i see pac beats shane... most likely by ko cuzz shane is a lot like cotto meaning he has the ability to box but has the heart of a warrior and will eventually want to brawl.. that will be his down fall... and like someone said earlier shane is also damaged goods... he's been in some hard fights and that showed in his fight with mayorga.... ifshane fights tooth an nail with that guy pac catches up with him at some point in time in my opinion... what saves mayweather is a very patient boxer that will not fall victim to the brawl... what might hurt him will be his inactivity that he has shown in some of his more recent fights... pacs chance is to simply outwork him... anyway that is my opinion... but i know one thing and thats pacs earned his right to get some credits for what hes done...
Al Hata

How is Mosley damaged goods? Sure he isn't in his prime but def. not damaged....maybe if he tried to fight at like 140 he would be, i guess.

King Eugene
After two loses people want Cotto to consider retiring? LOL come on now. Hell Pac probably isn't going to continue campaigning at 147. Cotto can work his way back in the mix and get another title shot. Cotto wasn't shot but wasn't the same fighter pre-Marg either. Before or after Marg Cotto would have lost.

Manny has power but not one punch KO power at WW. He'll break you down and beat you to death til somebody saves you though.

Mosley loses to Pac to but in a more competitive manner. I'm thinking DLH/Mosley II style. Its going to be a brawl but Mosley's chin will be the reason he sees the final bell.

I'm sorry but I still cant get the Mayorga fight out of my head. Every great fighter has one last good fight in them and I think the Margarito fight was Shanes.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 17 2009, 06:10 PM) *
Yes he was. Roach admitted it, many people saw it for their own eyes as well after the Margarito fight and they are not just talking about the Pacquiao fight. Don't get me wrong, Manny gets all the credit, it was a good win against a good opponent but clearly not as good as he was. Not a shot fighter, but DEFINITELY not the same. Cotto hasn't even had the same intensity to the body attack he once had.

I can remember saying this after the fight and a lot of people on here saying I was wrong..

The tattoos were a clear sign to me that he needed to get his manhood back in some form and he did it through the tattoos but no one was intimidated by them..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 18 2009, 12:20 AM) *
After two loses people want Cotto to consider retiring? LOL come on now. Hell Pac probably isn't going to continue campaigning at 147. Cotto can work his way back in the mix and get another title shot. Cotto wasn't shot but wasn't the same fighter pre-Marg either. Before or after Marg Cotto would have lost.

Manny has power but not one punch KO power at WW. He'll break you down and beat you to death til somebody saves you though.

Mosley loses to Pac to but in a more competitive manner. I'm thinking DLH/Mosley II style. Its going to be a brawl but Mosley's chin will be the reason he sees the final bell.

I'm sorry but I still cant get the Mayorga fight out of my head. Every great fighter has one last good fight in them and I think the Margarito fight was Shanes.

I really couldn't believe in the post fight interview,they asked Cotto is he was going to retire..I was like,what the hell??Why the hell havent they been hounding Hatton or Taylor about retiring them??

I also can't get the Mayorga fight outta my head either..
AussieLad
Floyd would have outpointed cotto, but he would not have administered the same beating. The fight wouldve made it the distance, but cotto would not have tasted the canvas.

At the end of the day, when you compare marquez vs cotto, there can be no doubt that cotto represented the greater risk to his opponent.
Douchebag
I think Pre-Marg Cotto with Evangelista in the corner would have made thing alot more interesting. He definitely would not have quit in the 5 round which is exactly what happened. I may be the only one who thinks this but Cotto lost that fight on Sat just as much as Manny won it.
caneman
Wow, I am shocked what some think about the fight, to me it's like Tyson once said; everyone has a gameplan til they get hit in the face!
streetlion1
Cotto lost that fight because it seems he came in with no plan and had a shitty corner. I dont think Cotto is damaged goods...I just think he may have reached his peak with his uncle and Santiago and needs new life in his corner. Santiago clearly isnt the answer...he needs someone from outside his inner circle who wont cater to him and who'll help him work on his mistakes.

I dont buy into all this "he isnt the same fighter" crap I think everything is still there just not an experienced trainer. A "shot" Cotto could not have beat Clottey and lasted 12 rounds with Pacman....so lets get off the "damaged goods" thing. Cotto needs a break and get refocused and reinvent himself with a new trainer.
Douchebag
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 18 2009, 09:35 AM) *
Wow, I am shocked what some think about the fight, to me it's like Tyson once said; every has a gameplan til they get hit in the face!

You're right but there where technical things that he did wrong that would have given him more success. His corner could have told him to keep his foot left foot outside of Manny right for one, they could have told him to not to exchange early no matter what (which is what I thought he would do) instead he got cracked early and basically quit in the middle of the fight (something else that I don't think he would have done pre-marg).
torvix2000
I think there's no denying that everybody will have a hard time now against Pacquiao because of his super quick sneaky right hooks and crosses.

This is boxing 101. It's hard to fight a southpaw with a very good right hand. Pacquiao's right hooks and crosses was shaking the hell out of Cotto's soul.
streetlion1
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Nov 18 2009, 08:44 AM) *
You're right but there where technical things that he did wrong that would have given him more success. His corner could have told him to keep his foot left foot outside of Manny right for one, they could have told him to not to exchange early no matter what (which is what I thought he would do) instead he got cracked early and basically quit in the middle of the fight (something else that I don't think he would have done pre-marg).

Yeah as well as using his jab.....another thing I've never seen Cotto do too much of is clinch. He didnt have to take as much punishment as he did.

It wasnt just good Manny....alot of it was bad Cotto. I dont think he is "shot" or "damaged goods" though.
Mean Mister Mustard
You know the word "damaged" and "shot" gets thrown around message boards far too often. For those who say Cotto was shot (This does not include people like Fitz and Big G who simply said he lost a bit of speed) explain to me your definition of shot. Can a shot fighter beat Joshua Clottey? I think Cotto squeaked by Clottey thanks to the KD, and if so, does that mean Clottey sucks because he couldn't decisively beat Cotto? Do me a favour and put it all into perspective for me.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 18 2009, 10:46 AM) *
You know the word "damaged" and "shot" gets thrown around message boards far too often. For those who say Cotto was shot (This does not include people like Fitz and Big G who simply said he lost a bit of speed) explain to me your definition of shot. Can a shot fighter beat Joshua Clottey? I think Cotto squeaked by Clottey thanks to the KD, and if so, does that mean Clottey sucks because he couldn't decisively beat Cotto? Do me a favour and put it all into perspective for me.

I don't think Cotto is a shot fighter physically, but mentally I do feel he lost something. This is a good thing because if it is just a mental thing there is a possibility that he can get it back or modify what physical tools he has to adapt come back a different kind of like what Barrera did in his career. To me when some is shot they just can't do things they used to in there primes or they just can't compete on the same level as they did when they where in their prime due losing some physical or mental attribute. I think the key word is compete......if they can't even compete at the same level as they did in there primes they are a shot fighter IMO.
streetlion1
I dunno how you can tell going off of a fight against a very tough Joshua Clottey and a fight against a buzz saw like Pacquiao. I think if he had lost something at all he would have totally wilted in those fights. If I see him start getting beat up by average fighters than I will say he lost something. I think what he needs to do is hire a new trainer and keep working.
lloyd mayflower
So lets say Cotto hires a new trainer, has a comeback fight against maybe a top ten WW and wins, does anyone give him a shot in a rematch with Pac at 147?
Douchebag
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Nov 18 2009, 11:34 AM) *
So lets say Cotto hires a new trainer, has a comeback fight against maybe a top ten WW and wins, does anyone give him a shot in a rematch with Pac at 147?

It depends on his performance honestly. If he shows that he has become more of a strategic fighter and improves his defense then I would give him a better chance. Other then that Pac would probably beat him even easier the second time around.
Lil-lightsout
My biggest gripe with Cotto is his preparation. Now I know Margs had loaded gloves which took a toll on him, but Cotto really faded hard the second half of the fight and could not deal with AM's pressure. Now his fight with Pac, he lost so much zip on his punches before the half way mark, and faded even worse against Manny. Sorry, but conditioning is pretty much one of the most important things you need. Cotto was pretty much useless once he got tired. Look at Pac, he was just as strong till the end as he was in the beginning. You can always tell the fighters who come totally prepared, and the ones who don't.

Guys who are always physically prepared. Hopkins, Bradley, Pac, etc.

Guys who do not come at there best physically. Toney, Arreola, J.Taylor, etc.

I just do not think Cotto prepares like he used to for whatever reasons.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Nov 18 2009, 11:55 AM) *
My biggest gripe with Cotto is his preparation. Now I know Margs had loaded gloves which took a toll on him, but Cotto really faded hard the second half of the fight and could not deal with AM's pressure. Now his fight with Pac, he lost so much zip on his punches before the half way mark, and faded even worse against Manny. Sorry, but conditioning is pretty much one of the most important things you need. Cotto was pretty much useless once he got tired. Look at Pac, he was just as strong till the end as he was in the beginning. You can always tell the fighters who come totally prepared, and the ones who don't.

I think Cotto quit more than he got tired in this fight.
streetlion1
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Nov 18 2009, 10:55 AM) *

Yeah I see what your saying...its the same with his trainer situation. Could it be overconfidence? He also though has a track record of retreating in fights once his bombs dont hurt the opponent and they are landing shots on him like against Mosley, and Cheato...In his fight with Pacman i dont feel there is enough talk about his corner. Cotto clearly needed direction in the fight and Santiago had nothing to offer!!

I wouldnt mind seeing Cotto hire a new trainer and then have a couple tune up fights leading up to a Cotto-Pacquiao 2.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 17 2009, 10:01 PM) *
A lot like Cotto? He probably has better defence and his chin is MUCH better. Considering that Pacquiao couldn't even knock Cotto out with as many punches as he landed and the referee just stepped in without Cotto going down and it was the 12th round. I would go out on a limb and say that Manny knocking Shane out isn't likely. Like I said Mosley is much tougher than Cotto, Cotto lasted 12 rounds and didn't even get knocked out.

does mosely have a better beard?.. maybe but i just dont see mosely holding up to the beating cotto took... im just not sold on mosely being this monster all of a sudden... 2 fights ago for him he was considered shot by most...
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 17 2009, 07:56 PM) *
Roach said it before the fight, and many saw it before hand as well. I don't think Cotto was shot, but not the same. Doesn't matter, I don't think Cotto would have won before Margarito anyways because he would still fight the wrong fight. He has the tools to beat him, but doesn't implement them like he should even before Margarito. So no excuses. I still think he was damaged though, much like Roach the opposing trainer said before the fight anyways.

So why is it that he only appeared to be damaged after Manny knocked the shit out of him in the 4th? Maybe unfocused, or not well coached, but certainly not damaged. He was fine in there until Pac laid those thangs on him.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Nov 18 2009, 04:19 AM) *
I can remember saying this after the fight and a lot of people on here saying I was wrong..

I still say you're wrong.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 18 2009, 09:35 AM) *
Wow, I am shocked what some think about the fight, to me it's like Tyson once said; everyone has a gameplan til they get hit in the face!

Thank You, my boy caneman!
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Nov 18 2009, 11:11 AM) *
I don't think Cotto is a shot fighter physically, but mentally I do feel he lost something. This is a good thing because if it is just a mental thing there is a possibility that he can get it back or modify what physical tools he has to adapt come back a different kind of like what Barrera did in his career. To me when some is shot they just can't do things they used to in there primes or they just can't compete on the same level as they did when they where in their prime due losing some physical or mental attribute. I think the key word is compete......if they can't even compete at the same level as they did in there primes they are a shot fighter IMO.

I think what you mean, is what people(like me) said before the fight is that he was never very strong "mentally". Cotto has never been a smart fighter, he fights one way and that's the only way he knows how. He fought this fight the exact same way he always fights, but this was the first time he has ever been in with a beast like Pac. Again, look what a shitty ass fighter like Margarito did to him. I said it plenty of times before the fight, if a big, slow, wide-punching, no defense shitbag like Margarito makes it a competitive fight, then you have problems. If Margarito is tagging the fuck out of you, Manny is doing what he did Saturday. Period.
neophyte7
The bottom line is that Cotto gets hit too much and he blocks too many punches with his head and face. He has taken too much punishment and was damaged goods since Margarito. Tatoos were a sign of his mental weakness and attempt to psychologically get him self back... He is finito
Douchebag
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Nov 18 2009, 07:12 PM) *
I think what you mean, is what people(like me) said before the fight is that he was never very strong "mentally". Cotto has never been a smart fighter, he fights one way and that's the only way he knows how. He fought this fight the exact same way he always fights, but this was the first time he has ever been in with a beast like Pac. Again, look what a shitty ass fighter like Margarito did to him. I said it plenty of times before the fight, if a big, slow, wide-punching, no defense shitbag like Margarito makes it a competitive fight, then you have problems. If Margarito is tagging the fuck out of you, Manny is doing what he did Saturday. Period.

I think what I meant to say is EXACTLY what I said, goof ball.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Nov 18 2009, 07:48 PM) *
I think what I meant to say is EXACTLY what I said, goof ball.

I was paraphrasing........
King Eugene
Cotto wasn't shot. Manny just put them thangs on him. The reason Cotto faded late against Manny is cause he was getting them thangs put on him early. The reason Cotto faded against AM was cause he broke his nose in the second and was trying to breathe out his mouth while spitting blood out of him mouth all at the same time.

Moral of the story is Cotto is fine til somebody put them thangs on him!!!

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif
streetlion1
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 18 2009, 05:24 PM) *
does mosely have a better beard?.. maybe but i just dont see mosely holding up to the beating cotto took... im just not sold on mosely being this monster all of a sudden... 2 fights ago for him he was considered shot by most...

Mosley has a way better chin IMO....I dont think I've even seen Mosley stunned since Forrest. He wouldnt of taken that beating...Mosley fights when he has to...he doesnt run. He said he will fight 3-4 more years.....he's on that Bernard Hopkins plan.

In all seriousness I think Mosley is the most complete fighter in the welterweight division speed, power, smarts, and a granite chin teamed up with the sports best trainer. I still had Cotto up there but at this point I think Shane would stop Cotto if they fought again. He K.O.'s Pacman and pushes Gayweather to the limit.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.