Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather eyes Hatton, Salita or Quintana in the UK instead of Pacquiao
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
thehype
MAYWEATHER EYES HATTON, SALITA OR QUINTANA IN THE UK INSTEAD OF PACQUIAO?

Forget what you've heard about a potential mega-fight between multi-division champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. and pound-for-pound champion Manny Pacquiao. Sources close to the information have informed us that Mayweather, who's been seen working out at his Las Vegas gym more than usual lately, already has a fight date lined up in the UK. According to one source, the three potential opponents in consideration are former welterweight champion Carlos Quintana, welterweight contender Matthew Hatton and jr. welterweight contender Dmitriy Salita.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content6270.html

Thoughts?

laugh.gif

JD
Legacy don't pay the bills.
thehype
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 18 2009, 09:42 PM) *
Legacy don't pay the bills.

Yep...and from what I understand, that's exactly the reason why he's eager to get back in the ring as soon as possible instead of waiting for Pacquiao.

laugh.gif

Still though....if the plan is to fight in March or April (since Mosley is fighting in January and Hops-Jones is slated for February), then why not fight Mosley, who said he'd be ready to get by then assuming all goes well with Berto.
True-Boxing-Fan
Fuck yea, forget about a Pac-Maywether fight. I want to see him in there with the badass Salita or the killer M. Hatton or even that sensation Quintana. Who needs Pacman when you have these 3 to choose from. LOL
Spyder
Easy money.

Bring on Pac-Mosley!
D-MARV
God!, I hope this isn't true.
The CEO
I was fine with Marquez as his comeback bout...but if he fights any of those guys, it would be a direct slap to each and every hardcore Boxing fans' face.

It would be an unforgivable move.
leonthegee
i can see fighting quintana as a tune-up fight. hes a southpaw, former champ, and he beat paul williams. but these other stiffs i would be disappointed.
Keith
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Nov 18 2009, 10:28 PM) *

I hope it is. I hope Mayweather digs a hole for himself/legacy that he can never get out of. He is acting like a complete and utter pussy. He's scared of Mosley and Pac. He knows he might not hold up to powerful offensive fighters.
Keith
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 18 2009, 10:30 PM) *
I was fine with Marquez as his comeback bout...but if he fights any of those guys, it would be a direct slap to each and every hardcore Boxing fans' face.

Speak on Brotha. Speak on.....
Lil-lightsout
If this happens, I really can not see anyone taking his side. And this guy calls himself the P4P king. LOL.

I would imagine he would be the main event. But who in there right mind would pay for any of this crap if it is PPV? It would have to be on free tv.
gbh32001
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Nov 19 2009, 11:28 AM) *
I hope this is true!Pick Quintana and KO Floyd for a lucky punch for good!LOL!
provo
Ca Mon guys there talking about one of these guys as a tune up fight in January just so Mayweather stays active , Floyd keeps going on the record saying he wants to fight Pac " step up come on "
If he takes on one of these guys in Jan its not to avoid pac its just to stay active , Floyd vs Pac will be sometime in May!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (provo @ Nov 18 2009, 10:50 PM) *
Ca Mon guys there talking about one of these guys as a tune up fight in January just so Mayweather stays active , Floyd keeps going on the record saying he wants to fight Pac " step up come on "
If he takes on one of these guys in Jan its not to avoid pac its just to stay active , Floyd vs Pac will be sometime in May!

He could have stayed active against Mosley when he asked him for a fight. Why not Shane when he is an "easy" fight for Floyd? No response necessary, I know the answer.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 18 2009, 09:30 PM) *

I feel bad for the fans if Floyd chooses this move, but because I hate the guy so much there's a part of me that says let Floyd do this easy fight thing. It makes it harder and harder for people to defend him by doing this, and for some reason, the more Floyd does things that people hate, the more his supporters will stop supporting him.

Why am I not surprised at this potential move? It's a slap in the face to boxing fans. But Floyd has been always about "Most Money, least risk."

What's funny is it would make me sick if Floyd were to beat Pacquiao. But if he takes the least risk approach to fighting he just keeps digging a bigger grave for himself.

Screw it Floyd. Let me be the first to slam your casket shut! What's left to say, well to be blunt my view is, "Floyd, either fight Pacquiao or get the fuck out of boxing."

Jack
provo
Honestly I don't think this happens at all! Its just mind games getting played ,u got Floyd talking shit and Roach talking shit too ,
Floyd is just being a business man like as if he aint trippin off of pac "money to be made somewhere else " so he could get the larger piece of the purse !
Until this fight gets signed were going to be hearing a lot of shit LOL.! This is the biggest money fight out there for Pac as well as for Mayweather !
Col Reb
If Floyd really wants a tuneup, how about fighting a fast southpaw like Judah (rematch) or Collazzo? I could even live with Cory Spinks. One of those would be the best prep he could get for Pac, especially Judah.
Snoop
I was looking at an emoticon that was hanging and shaking its head in disappointment, but this is the best I could find.

no2.gif
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (provo @ Nov 18 2009, 08:04 PM) *
Honestly I don't think this happens at all! Its just mind games getting played ,u got Floyd talking shit and Roach talking shit too ,
Floyd is just being a business man like as if he aint trippin off of pac "money to be made somewhere else " so he could get the larger piece of the purse !
Until this fight gets signed were going to be hearing a lot of shit LOL.! This is the biggest money fight out there for Pac as well as for Mayweather !

Honestly it probably will happen and IMO its going to be so funny when it does and so satisfying for those people who have always questioned Floyds legacy and heart. He's going to get so beat up by the fans in the US so bad if he fights one of these 3. Plus how is fighting one of these 3 going to prepare you for Pacman, if you ever find your balls and step up and fight Pac, since this is a tune-up. Didnt Floyd just have a tune-up. If you want a stay busy fight, since Pacman wont fight again until probably May at the earliest, then why not fight Clottey or something.
mrwigi
WOW!
Snoop
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Nov 19 2009, 05:43 AM) *
Honestly it probably will happen and IMO its going to be so funny when it does and so satisfying for those people who have always questioned Floyds legacy and heart. He's going to get so beat up by the fans in the US so bad if he fights one of these 3. Plus how is fighting one of these 3 going to prepare you for Pacman, if you ever find your balls and step up and fight Pac, since this is a tune-up. Didnt Floyd just have a tune-up. If you want a stay busy fight, since Pacman wont fight again until probably May at the earliest, then why not fight Clottey or something.

I hope it's not true. I hope this is Mayweather's attempt to gain leverage in the negotiating terms to simply say, "Yeah, I got options."
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (provo @ Nov 19 2009, 12:04 AM) *

Yeah, I too find it hard to believe that this happens. I find it hard to believe because it is so outrageous even for Mayweather. I mean people like to shit on him never fighting any of the top welterweights but at least he was fighting elite names.

On the other hand, Hype says it could be legit and like JD said, PBF needs the money.

Right away I'd like to refute those who will justify this by saying that "Can't knock a guy for getting a tuneup" just remember he was out for a year and a half and he came back as sharp as ever. He doesn't need the comeback. If we wants to make money that's fine but does it really have to be against Matthew Hatton or Dimitry Salita? Quintana is ok but then again Cotto and Williams already beat him and according to Mayweather that's no fun.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 18 2009, 08:46 PM) *
I hope it's not true. I hope this is Mayweather's attempt to gain leverage in the negotiating terms to simply say, "Yeah, I got options."

Fighting those guys wouldnt prove he has options at all. His only options are Pacquiao or Mosley as far as huge money is concerned. What do ya'll think he can make on fighting one of these 3 guys? I mean someone(HBO) is going to have to put up some money to have it on free TV because the only money in that fight is what is generated at whatever arena its in.
kidbazooka1
Hahahaha

Im not suprised one bit this is a typical Gayweather move.
tjm
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 19 2009, 12:46 AM) *

What "Options"? He's got no better option than to fight Pacman. He'll make more money with Pacquiao even if he were to get 40% only than fight any of these BUMs.Sorry guys, Floyd Jr just got scared from what happened to Cotto.He was challenging Pacquiao thru the media and now that Pacquiao said "Yes!" on KTLA 5 News, he's going to UK to fight someone else!
Snoop
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 19 2009, 05:56 AM) *
Yeah, I too find it hard to believe that this happens. I find it hard to believe because it is so outrageous even for Mayweather. I mean people like to shit on him never fighting any of the top welterweights but at least he was fighting elite names.

On the other hand, Hype says it could be legit and like JD said, PBF needs the money.

Right away I'd like to refute those who will justify this by saying that "Can't knock a guy for getting a tuneup" just remember he was out for a year and a half and he came back as sharp as ever. He doesn't need the comeback. If we wants to make money that's fine but does it really have to be against Matthew Hatton or Dimitry Salita? Quintana is ok but then again Cotto and Williams already beat him and according to Mayweather that's no fun.

Holy shit he's talking about fighting MATTHEW Hatton?? LMAO. If Mayweather's serious, this is a new low.
Snoop
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Nov 19 2009, 06:10 AM) *
Fighting those guys wouldnt prove he has options at all. His only options are Pacquiao or Mosley as far as huge money is concerned. What do ya'll think he can make on fighting one of these 3 guys? I mean someone(HBO) is going to have to put up some money to have it on free TV because the only money in that fight is what is generated at whatever arena its in.

What "Options"? He's got no better option than to fight Pacman. He'll make more money with Pacquiao even if he were to get 40% only than fight any of these BUMs.Sorry guys, Floyd Jr just got scared from what happened to Cotto.He was challenging Pacquiao thru the media and now that Pacquiao said "Yes!" on KTLA 5 News, he's going to UK to fight someone else!

Maybe a better way to put it is, creating the illusion that he has options. I know he has no better option than to fight Pacquiao or Mosley, the fans know that, Manny knows that, EVERYONE knows that. But if Mayweather goes ahead and acknowledges it, he'll get raped in the negotiation. I think, moreso I HOPE, he's just saying this to try and gain some leverage in the purse split. But these picks are almost comical. At least name someone like Luis Collazo for godssake.
King Eugene
This would be very very disappointing if he goes through with this. Mayweather knows himself this would be pure bullshit. He has something up his sleeve. Besides I heard on ESPN today that a fight between Manny and Floyd would be a $45 Million Fight. He wouldn't pass that up even if he knew it was a possibility of him getting starched in first(not happening).
caneman
Breaking news from the AP; PBoiF has picked Hannah Montana for his in the Silver Dome @ a catch weight of 152 in a 30 ring. It is said that it will be his toughest fight since Hatton for Ring Magizines P4P cunt of the decade! LOLZ! End thread
STEVENSKI
I will wait on confirmation for this but let me say that if Floyd does not fight either Pac or Mosley next he is without doubt the biggest coward & fraud in the history of boxing. No fan of his can defend this type of move nor call it a tune up. He had his tune up in fighting a featherweight in JMM.
Snoop
Mayweather can't possibly be serious. Even HE knows this is bullshit. I mean what happened to, "I ain't fighting Shane Mosley, he got 5 losses." but then go on to fight Matthew Hatton who has four losses and well, fucking sucks.

The only other legitimate reason is that Mayweather needs the money bad and will eventually fight Pacquiao afterward. But damn, how bad can you need money not being able to wait a few months more. Imagine he takes on Matthew Hatton and gets KO'd. That would be fucking hilarious. I think STEVENSKI would die of joy.
The Original MrFactor
No surprises here... Avoids Mosley, Cotto, Pac and Berto...
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 19 2009, 01:06 AM) *
Breaking news from the AP; PBoiF has picked Hannah Montana

laugh.gif

Matthew - fucking - Hatton?

What the hell?!

You know what, someone like Floyd should be able to fight one of these guys, then fight Pac 3 or 4 weeks later, like the old timers did.

He's waiting for Pac to fight Mosely and hopes that they both die in the ring in a freak double KO punch tradegy.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Nov 19 2009, 10:36 AM) *
He's waiting for Pac to fight Mosely and hopes that they both die in the ring in a freak double KO punch tradegy.

Floyd seriously has a overinflated sense of worth. He talks about being mainstream but at work I never heard anyone talk about his fight with JMM yet I came back to work on Tuesday & they were still talking about Pac in our coffee shop. That is mainstream right there.
gbh32001
Floyd is a cunning boxer/businessman. If you try to analyze his rebuttal to "RA The Rugged Man", that's not the way boxing works and I have him the edge over Ali and the rest for handling his career better than the rest of his predecessor.
lloyd mayflower
Hed be in for a shock if he came to the UK to fight any of those fuckin bums. He wouldnt fill a phone booth, he can forget about filling a football stadium for a kick off. The only Hatton with that sort of suport is Ricky, and no one has heard of the other two. What if Amir Khan spanks Salita as I think he will in December? Can we then assume that he'll be in the running for a shot at Floyd?

And after that semi sensible reply, heres what i really mean

FRAUD GAYWEATHER IS A TOTAL CUNT
torvix2000
WTF!!! Fouck you Gayweather!!! Shucks!!! CEO, Steven, and FITZ will accuse me of being smart by knowing that you'd duck Pacquiao and tell me that I ducked FITZ twice, first against Cotto and now you!
Maxy
I don't think it's true at all. Mayweather has been speaking about his desire to box in the UK but Salita is tied up with Khan and Matthew Hatton hasn't got ANY fans.
salvador
AWESOME!

It's obviously way too funny to be true. Floyd wouldn't kill his negotiating power with Pac by fighting a nobody and doing shitty HBO ratings or worse, less than 500K PPV buys. He's not that stupid. But just the fact that Matthew Hatton's name is being thrown around is too fucking funny.

God Forbid he fight Clottey.
streetlion1
Im waiting to see this confirmed but it wouldnt surprise me. With his recent interview here on the front page it seemed like he is trying to bullshit his way out of a fight with Pacman.....he already made it clear he wants no part of Mosley....and Cotto losing gives him the perfect Floyd excuse not to fight him. Shit he wont even fight the 4th best welter Clottey!!

Bottom line is Floyd needs to fight Pacman and Mosley!! He needs to take those fights and win, lose, or draw it will put him up a notch IMO.....if not he will go down as the biggest coward waste of skills in history and will 4ever be Fraud Gayweather.
JD
Anyone who is cool with Floyd fighting Quintana, Matthew Hatton or Dmitry Salita is NOT a boxing fan - plain and simple; they are a Floyd fan and only a Floyd fan.
Douchebag
Is anybody really surprised by any of this?
MarzB
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 18 2009, 11:30 PM) *

Agreed. Just when I came here to post this. Manny answering Floyd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFCDVpKoFmc
ROLL DEEP
All we need now is for them to agree on a split.....and we're back to square one;

What should the split be?
rusty_trombone
I don't think we should even talk about it until any fight is signed, god know what goes on behind closed doors. These guys lie so much, about so many different things that any kind of future fight prediction is futile. I think there is too much money on Manny-Floyd for it not to happen, but then again, there was a lot of money in DLH-Trinidad 2.........
thehype
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 19 2009, 08:22 AM) *
I don't think it's true at all. Mayweather has been speaking about his desire to box in the UK but Salita is tied up with Khan and Matthew Hatton hasn't got ANY fans.

If it wasn't true, it wouldn't be on the front page!

I trust our sources, and it's more than one, who told us that he's considering those three names for a tune-up.

It's looking more and more like Pacquiao won't even be fighting again until later in 2010...possibly not till September or October...and with Mayweather anticipating a lengthy negotiation process, he's looking to stay active and he wants to get back in the ring sooner rather than later (although from what I heard, it has more to do with wanting to get another paycheck and less to do with staying sharp).
thehype
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Nov 19 2009, 12:34 PM) *
I think there is too much money on Manny-Floyd for it not to happen, but then again, there was a lot of money in DLH-Trinidad 2.........

I'm sure there is a lot of money, but the question is what's being offered? There's going to be A LOT of people making A LOT of money off of this fight and Floyd Mayweather, being the "great" business man that he is, already knows this. I mean, you have to keep in mind, back when Mike Tyson was making $30-$35 million, they weren't doing 2 million+ PPV buys, so the question is will Floyd be satisfied if he's offered $35 million or is he going to want something more like $50 million? If he isn't offered the type of money that he thinks he should be, will he hold out and refuse to fight? I think he would.
KookedKrack
While I usually defend SOME of the stuff Floyd does this right here is disgusting and you know this will be on PPV with a shitty undercard and a 24/7 special to trick people into believing Hatton/Quintana/Salita is a killer.
Maxy
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 19 2009, 12:58 PM) *
If it wasn't true, it wouldn't be on the front page!

I trust our sources, and it's more than one, who told us that he's considering those three names for a tune-up.

It's looking more and more like Pacquiao won't even be fighting again until later in 2010...possibly not till September or October...and with Mayweather anticipating a lengthy negotiation process, he's looking to stay active and he wants to get back in the ring sooner rather than later (although from what I heard, it has more to do with wanting to get another paycheck and less to do with staying sharp).

But unless Salita beats Khan he must be out of the question right? Matt Hatton is a D level fighter at best and nobody over here is gonna give a fuck about Quintana.

Would love to see Floyd box in the UK, I'd definitely buy a ticket, but with those names it doesn't seem plausible. You get what I'm saying?
Snoop
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 19 2009, 06:02 PM) *
I'm sure there is a lot of money, but the question is what's being offered? There's going to be A LOT of people making A LOT of money off of this fight and Floyd Mayweather, being the "great" business man that he is, already knows this. I mean, you have to keep in mind, back when Mike Tyson was making $30-$35 million, they weren't doing 2 million+ PPV buys, so the question is will Floyd be satisfied if he's offered $35 million or is he going to want something more like $50 million? If he isn't offered the type of money that he thinks he should be, will he hold out and refuse to fight? I think he would.

If he's desperate enough for money to take a tune-up fight against one of these opponents, you still think he would hold out on a $35 million paycheck?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.