Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top 5 best light heavies ever
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JonnyBlaze
Light heavyweight was and always will be where greatness happens..Who is in your top 5 best light heavies ever?Rank them or just list 5..Guys like Archie Moore,Ezzard Charles,Bob Foster,Gene Tunney,Billy Conn,Tommy Loughran,Roy Jones Jr.,Michael Spinks,Sam Langford,Bob Fitzsimmons,Harry Greb(even though he was all over),John Henry Lewis,and many others could be considered..I'll post my list after a couple people get their list goin even though I already have my list set..
BigG
Archie Moore
Ezzard Charles
Bob Foster
Michael Spinks
Gene Tunney

Thats mine..
STEVENSKI
Antonio Tarver, Glen Johnson, Danny Green, Montell Griffin, Joe Clazaghe
JonnyBlaze
1--Archie Moore
2--Tommy Loughran
3--Billy Conn
4--Bob Foster
5--Gene Tunney

My last 3 could change from time to time..haha..Ezzard should be in there but he was a more a light heavy/heavy in my opinion even though every one of these guys did go to heavy at some point..
STEVENSKI
My 5 beat Roy Jones jr. They are the greatest hands down.
STEVENSKI
Seriously tough call. Hard to rate in order IMO.

Tunney, Conn, Foster, Loughran, Rosenbloom, Spinks are all great great fighters.

Other top fighters. Johnson, Saad Muhammad, Tiger, Fitzsimmons, Lewis, Carpentier, Levinsky.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 8 2009, 02:07 AM) *

Tunney, Conn, Foster, Loughran, Rosenbloom, Spinks are all great great fighters.

Other top fighters. Johnson, Saad Muhammad, Tiger, Fitzsimmons, Lewis, Carpentier, Levinsky.

I thought you were being serious with your first pick. I must say I was very surprised not to see your good buddy Roid as your number one pick. As for Spinks I would've loved to have seen him and Holyfield fight, there were in and around the same era almost.

Always been partial to a Fosters myself Steve.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 8 2009, 03:07 AM) *

Good call with Rosenbloom,he is definitely up there with the best..Levinsky is another guy i forgot to mention..Yet,there are too many great light heavies to remember em all..Quite possibly my favorite division of all time..All the guys on my top 5 are guys I love to watch and can't get enough of..Watching Loughran is a thing of beauty..That guy has some of the best balance ever displayed in boxing..Great great fighter..If some of you haven't seen him,I highly suggest watching some of his fights on youtube..His fights with Walker and Braddock all classics..Loughran beat Dempsey's ass in sparring..Dempsey couldn't even hit him..

It really is a tough call to list them in order..I already want to change mine up..haha..I'd still stick with the same 5 but the placement could always change like I said before..Archie will always be #1 to me,then Loughran..

Heres a great read about when Loughran worked out/sparred Dempsey..
Loughran may forget a fight but not his workout with Dempsey
neophyte7
Michael Moorer at 175 would have had a chance to beat any of the greats that were mentioned. Before he went to heavy weight at 175 he was a wrecking ball. Micheal Moorer would have eaten Roy Jones Jr.
D-MARV
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Dec 8 2009, 07:51 AM) *
Michael Moorer at 175 would have had a chance to beat any of the greats that were mentioned. Before he went to heavy weight at 175 he was a wrecking ball. Micheal Moorer would have eaten Roy Jones Jr.

Always thought that he could have been a legend at that weight. ANIMAL.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Dec 8 2009, 06:51 AM) *

moorer was a beast at light heavyweight... moorer vs jones at light heavy would have been one helluva fight had they been in the same era... not sure we really got to see what he could do with an elite fighter at that weight and the real champs at the time didnt want to fight him... moorer is another mythical argument as far as a fighter facing the greats of the division... how would he have handled the likes of moorer or foster or spinks.... or a saad muhamad even?..
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 8 2009, 11:39 AM) *
moorer was a beast at light heavyweight... moorer vs jones at light heavy would have been one helluva fight had they been in the same era... not sure we really got to see what he could do with an elite fighter at that weight and the real champs at the time didnt want to fight him... moorer is another mythical argument as far as a fighter facing the greats of the division... how would he have handled the likes of moorer or foster or spinks.... or a saad muhamad even?..

As much as I like Roy, Moore would have put him to sleep at 175. Roy's best weight was 168... He was quicker and carried more power there.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 8 2009, 10:44 AM) *
As much as I like Roy, Moore would have put him to sleep at 175. Roy's best weight was 168... He was quicker and carried more power there.

even the young roy that took out griffin in 1 round?... that was at 175... i see where you going and like i said moorer was a beast..... but he was a beast against some b level opponents... he never really fought an elite fighter at 175 to have a true guage of his potential at the weight in my opinion... roy at his best was damn good... its sad cuzz people are gonna remember whats happening now but he was damn near untouchable in his prime...
Spyder
Roy was always small at light heavy. Even against guys like Eric Harding, Derrick Harmon, Lou Del Valle...Roy was forced to fight a safety first type of fight, wearing them down from the outside.

That changed him as a fighter. He stopped being the combo throwing machine that he was at 168, 160. He turned to pot-shotting...a move that stalled the advancement of his skill-set.

IMO, if he would've stayed at 168...we would barely remember the name Joe Calzaghe.
The Original MrFactor
Ali - best known. Found ways to beat people using intelligence in and out of the ring. Made Boxing a television friendly sport. All others after him owe him a debt of gratitude when they get those TV contracts and big PPV payouts.

Louis - held the titles for 11 years. Embraced as a national hero.

Marciano - Undefeated is impressive any way you try to sell it. He fought the best of his era and beat em all...

Holmes - if it werent for the shadow of Ali, this guy would possibly be number 1. He fought and beat all comers. He was tough and resilient. Just didnt have the media saavy of an Ali. Great regardless.

Lewis - Best of a great crop of heavyweights. He beat the best of both eras that he reigned. He beat Holyfield and Klitshcko and all others in between. Truly a great champ...

Whoops... Just realized you said LITE Heavy... Oh, well. I'll have to think about that one...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Dec 8 2009, 02:30 PM) *
Ali - best known. Found ways to beat people using intelligence in and out of the ring. Made Boxing a television friendly sport. All others after him owe him a debt of gratitude when they get those TV contracts and big PPV payouts.

Louis - held the titles for 11 years. Embraced as a national hero.

Marciano - Undefeated is impressive any way you try to sell it. He fought the best of his era and beat em all...

Holmes - if it werent for the shadow of Ali, this guy would possibly be number 1. He fought and beat all comers. He was tough and resilient. Just didnt have the media saavy of an Ali. Great regardless.

Lewis - Best of a great crop of heavyweights. He beat the best of both eras that he reigned. He beat Holyfield and Klitshcko and all others in between. Truly a great champ...

Whoops... Just realized you said LITE Heavy... Oh, well. I'll have to think about that one...

You also forgot to mention that Joe Louis defended his belt more than any other champ at any weight class..25 times..Also,I'd say he held the belt for 12 years since he only had like 1-2 more months to go before getting to 12 years..
mrwigi
RJJ, Holyfield, moore,ezzard charles. spinks!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Dec 9 2009, 10:31 AM) *
RJJ, Holyfield, moore,ezzard charles. spinks!

Holyfield is one of my main guys but when I think of him,I think of cruiserweight..He would of been unstoppable at cruiserweight..He had a few fights at light heavy and was a light heavy in the amateurs so he definitely could be considered one..Good list,you definitely covered quite a few eras in this one..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.