Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What if Ward refuses to fight Jermain Taylor?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
I was reading some articles on the google news page on Jermain Taylor and there's various people saying he shouldn't fight including Dibella and Frank Warren.

If Jermain decides to fight on, he could get seriously hurt against Ward and then Kessler (if he makes it out of the Ward fight).

My question is this: What if Ward stepped up and said "I won't fight him. His health is at risk, and until he gets full battery of tests done, I refuse to fight him."

I think the intentions would be good for Ward in doing that, I just wonder what would happen if he did that. This is a fairly unprecedented situation (the tourney) and so I don't know that this idea has even been contemplated by the Showtime people.

King Eugene
I doubt Ward turns down the payday and opportunity to put another name on his resume. They'll easily find someone to replace Ward shall he refuse to fight. Its just business.
sweetchuck
I don't think Ward can since he is contractually obligated to fight in the tournament and he did not seem to have a problem fighting Jermain next at the press conference after the fight. Sounds great in theory. This fight is going to happen even if it is unfair for Jermain to be getting another title fight. Even if some think he should not fight anymore. Jermain is a good fighter, but he is not great and people have to remember that. Ward isn't a big puncher so this fight may be safer than the last two he was in. I don't see Jermain winning this fight, nor do I see him beating Kessler, in fact I say he loses a one sided decision to Ward and then gets knocked out by Kessler. That's why a lot of people think he should not go on, because it's more losses in this tournament, more punishment to his body that he does not need. Even if he passed all the tests now, he might not after the tournament. I think most people would complain about Jermain still fighting if it wasn't for the tournament, if he dropped from the tournament and then came back after 6 months and took on an easy opponent and then pounded out a few more wins on ESPN quality fights and then came back and wanted a title fight or something, people would say, yeah he's back. I think he's hit the top of his career, he peaked in the middle of the first fight with Hopkins and has been in a decline ever since. None of his middleweight title defense were against legit middleweights until he fought Pavlik and lost. Most of his fights before were against blown up junior middleweights as well. Just like I said back after the first Hopkins fight, he wasn't great yet, he had a lot he had to work on, and so on. I took a lot of abuse for that, but I was right.

The saddest thing about this tournament is the best super middleweight is Lucian Bute and he's not in it. So I say, how can you have a tournament to crown the best super middleweight when the best is not in it.
Lil-lightsout
I agree JT is a mental wreck, but saying he is a health risk is absurd to me. Geez, he was KO'd with one punch. He did not take a beating in the fight. And Froch got to him cause Taylor tired/choked in the last seconds. Just let the damn man fight, he obviously wants to. There are WAY worse off fighters than him still fighting.
RollsRoyce
QUOTE (sweetchuck @ Dec 17 2009, 09:22 AM) *
The saddest thing about this tournament is the best super middleweight is Lucian Bute and he's not in it. So I say, how can you have a tournament to crown the best super middleweight when the best is not in it.

Because before the beginning of the tournament, most people considered Kessler the top of the food chain with Froch and Bute under him. Now kessler gets beaten and Bute looks brilliant in a fight and people forget the circumstances going into the tourney. btw, how well do u think Bute would do against Abraham? Or how great would he look fighting Dirrell or Ward? I honestly think Abraham ko's Bute even tho I like Bute better. Also, Dirrell is so fast, that I think Bute would really struggle with him. Ward and Bute would be the best fight tho. Both are equally skilled and comparable. I'm not sure who's faster or stronger.

Neways, to answer the original question....I think that Ward has such a tough road ahead of him that he will welcome the opportunity of fighting someone who is mentally shook. Ward isn't a 1 hitter quitter type either so Taylor might be able to take his punches. We'll see tho.
D-MARV
I understand the concern's with Taylor's KO losses. But is there any sign that Taylor has been on the decline? It sounds funny but how bad has Taylor been effected? He has NEVER been dominated.
KookedKrack
I doubt he would refuse to fight Taylor....every fighter knows there is a risk every time they step in the ring. If it was the other way around do you think Taylor would give a fuck about Ward?
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 17 2009, 04:45 PM) *
I agree JT is a mental wreck, but saying he is a health risk is absurd to me. Geez, he was KO'd with one punch. He did not take a beating in the fight. And Froch got to him cause Taylor tired/choked in the last seconds. Just let the damn man fight, he obviously wants to. There are WAY worse off fighters than him still fighting.

I would still be concerned at the fact that he suffered a concussion and had short term memory problems afterward. Add that to the way he was KO'd in the Froch fight and I don't think he should be fighting someone with the skill level of Andre Ward.
Spyder
Naw man...let him fight.

I don't buy into that whole, "We need to protect him from himself" crap. If he wants to fight, he should be able to fight. If he was really that bad, don't you think that his family would have something to say to him about it? That's where the discussion belongs.

There's enough people trying to tell others how they should live their life...for something as trivial as fighting...where they have processes in place to protect the safety of its participants...the man doesn't need anymore hurdles to jump.
The Original MrFactor
The BIGGER question is, what if Taylor somehow manages to win? It may seem remote, but I think it is possible. Ward aint a huge power puncher like AA. Taylor may survive to the finish and get a gift on the cards. Never know... Could we be prolonging a potential disaster? Taylor needs to chill out and think about his future. The guy has kids. I just dont want to see the guy hurt. I'm a fan. He had a great run and will go down in history as the only man that beat the LEGEND twice. Thats a hell of an accomplishment to me...
KookedKrack
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 17 2009, 02:59 PM) *
Naw man...let him fight.

I don't buy into that whole, "We need to protect him from himself" crap. If he wants to fight, he should be able to fight. If he was really that bad, don't you think that his family would have something to say to him about it? That's where the discussion belongs.

There's enough people trying to tell others how they should live their life...for something as trivial as fighting...where they have processes in place to protect the safety of its participants...the man doesn't need anymore hurdles to jump.

This.

Don't fighters have to be cleared medically before a fight anyway? I'm not sure but if they do but if his doctor gives him the okay I would take his advice over a promoter.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Dec 17 2009, 01:02 PM) *
The BIGGER question is, what if Taylor somehow manages to win? It may seem remote, but I think it is possible. Ward aint a huge power puncher like AA. Taylor may survive to the finish and get a gift on the cards. Never know... Could we be prolonging a potential disaster? Taylor needs to chill out and think about his future. The guy has kids. I just dont want to see the guy hurt. I'm a fan. He had a great run and will go down in history as the only man that beat the LEGEND twice. Thats a hell of an accomplishment to me...

i feel what you saying mr factor but taylor has to be shell shocked many times over right now... he wont win that fight.. i thik he's fighting on as a way to cash out.. im more than positive he retires after his last fight of the tournament... he's done... just making his last bit of change in the sport...
Spyder
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 17 2009, 05:33 PM) *
Exactly. I think Taylor actually has a better chance to win a fight against Ward or Dirrell rather than any of the other Euro's.

laugh.gif

I know what you're trying to do, Fitz...lol...nice try.
D-MARV
I can see why Fitz would say that, It a style match up. I don't agree though. Taylor was 10 seconds away from beating Froch. JT stands NO chance against Ward.
kingknockout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 17 2009, 06:50 PM) *
I was just being honest, lol. He lost to Abraham, he has lost to Froch and would probably lose again, and then Kessler. Dirrell and Ward don't possess the same physical threat as the Euro's did and that what seems to do Taylor in every time. He at least has the athleticism to hang with guys without having to be as concerned about getting knocked out again.

rolleyes_anim.gif
King Eugene
I dont think Froch and Abraham are better than Ward and Dirrell but they one thing Ward and Dirrell dont have and thats the power to straight clean a mutha suckas clock! JT always seems to get caught in every fight that he's been in. The only thing is Pavlik, Froch, and Abraham was able to capitalize on the opportunity. I just dont think Ward and Dirrell hits hard enough. That said JT goes the distance with both of them unless he some how catches them.

At the end of the day let him fight!
happygocampy
I highly doubt Ward would refuse to fight JT. I don't know how much JT has left, but i see Ward as having a similar style to Hopkins but less awkward, he likes to do the whole grapple the guy, manuever at an angle and pop him thing, and that doesn't work against JT. I see JT as having the best chance at beating Ward over anyone else in the Tourney.

Dirrell would get so owned by Ward it won't even be funny, Ward rough's up any fighter that gets close to him, Dirrells excessive holding simply won't work against Ward, and even if he tried to outbox Ward it won't happen, he fights like a scared little boy, he probably *could* get off first, but just won't.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 17 2009, 04:55 PM) *
i feel what you saying mr factor but taylor has to be shell shocked many times over right now... he wont win that fight.. i thik he's fighting on as a way to cash out.. im more than positive he retires after his last fight of the tournament... he's done... just making his last bit of change in the sport...

Dont get me wrong. I'll go on the record and say I'm picking Ward to beat Taylor. I think Taylor may finish on his feet this time. We may see a similar fight to Tarver/Jones 3 where one guy has something to prove to himself, that he can finish on his feet. I think we may see a much more cautious, tenative Taylor. I hope making his last few paydays doesnt turn into going to the well to often...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Dec 18 2009, 12:32 PM) *
Dont get me wrong. I'll go on the record and say I'm picking Ward to beat Taylor. I think Taylor may finish on his feet this time. We may see a similar fight to Tarver/Jones 3 where one guy has something to prove to himself, that he can finish on his feet. I think we may see a much more cautious, tenative Taylor. I hope making his last few paydays doesnt turn into going to the well to often...

id be shocked to see taylor go out with a loss like that... in my opinion taylor goes out earlier than he has cuzz he doesnt want to get hurt.. i think hes cashing out.. sad to see but it is what it is...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.