Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Olympic Style Drug Testing?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
provo
The two sides agreed to Olympic-style drug testing. But Roach is not going to allow his fighter to be subjected to blood tests a few weeks before the fight. Roach was visibly upset when discussing the allegations that are being made by Floyd Mayweather Sr. In what has become a very hot topic of debate, Floyd Sr. has accused Pacquiao of using illegal drugs.

provo
This is what Roach had to say
"Nevada is a great commission.They have drug testing that is sufficient.The issue I have is this,I will not let anyone take blood out of Manny Pacquiao six weeks before a fight because that will mentally affect him.If they want a urine test or something else. Olympic style drug testing,they do urine tests.I have no problem with that"
Maxy
I just wonder how, and why, a blood test would mentally affect a fighter 6 weeks prior to a fight?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Olympic style blood testing will prove what? Maybe Marion Jones could offer something to this debate laugh.gif

Roach has been accused of mind games in the past on behalf of his fighters (which I'd say is fair enough) and I suggest that this is the Mayweather camp doing the exact same thing.

If Roach was visibly upset then they have achieved their goal. Round one to Mayweather.
gbh32001
Fair enough if they do it both sides, but the test should be done 8 weeks before the fight and right after the fight.
D-MARV
I say test both fighters 2 weeks before the fight and immediately after the fight.
provo
I don't see how Roach says it will affect Pac mentally I mean Floyds going to get tested too shouldn't it affect him as well? I say test them both 1 month before the fight and after the fight. By Roach saying that it seems that Roach knows something it raises some eyebrows!
So with that said if Pac don't want to go threw this testing is he hiding something ??
provo
I don't see how Roach says it will affect Pac mentally I mean Floyds going to get tested too shouldn't it affect him as well? I say test them both 1 month before the fight and after the fight. By Roach saying that it seems that Roach knows something it raises some eyebrows!
So with that said if Pac don't want to go threw this testing is he hiding something ??

The article is on Mayweather-Pacquiao.com
WhiteLotus
QUOTE (Maxy @ Dec 19 2009, 02:12 PM) *
I just wonder how, and why, a blood test would mentally affect a fighter 6 weeks prior to a fight?

Sometimes with sports people get superstitious, could be mental. Wade Boggs ate chicken before every game. Brian Urlacher always eats a cookie before he takes the field. They say one of Pacman's losses was because he gave blood before the fight. I believe Pacman when he says he's scared of needles. I'm a health care worker and needles going into my arm still scare the s**t out of me.

I think Floyd Sr is the one behind this. He's been accusing Manny for a while now of doing roids. They are trying to get into Pacmans head and it's working. Can't blame Floyd Sr, he's only trying to look out for his son. I don't think it will affect the outcome of the fight however. I like Pacman.

From what I understand, the proposal is for between 3-5 blood tests and 8-12 urine tests taken during the period January 1 to March 15. The tests are supposed to be taken in a non-intrusive manner, but what is the definition of non-intrusive? I recall Brad Gilbert, former tennis great, telling a story of how the USTA's drug agency woke up Andy Roddick in the middle of the night to get a urine sample. I don't think the USTA uses Olympic Style drug testing, but that does not sound reasonable to me. I'm not saying that's what Mayweather is proposing, but I'm just saying this could be intrusive and I can understand why there might be some misgivings.

I know if someone woke me up in the middle of the night 3 nights in a row to get a urine sample and blood test I'd be pretty pissed off.
WhiteLotus
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 19 2009, 03:43 PM) *
If that's the case and Roach really did say that, chances are Manny is on steroids. That's why it's usually so hard to detect in boxing and fighters get away with it. They do their cycles well before the fight, and by fight time, it's probably out of their system.
Roach not wanting it only raises eye brows. It doesn't seem to effect all the athletes that get tested at stages before and after in all other sports and athletes that compete in the olympics.

What did Roach say that made you think Manny is on steroids? The testing Roach is proposing is well within the standards of what they've been doing in boxing for decades and Roach has been around for a long time. If Roach is merely proposing the status quo I don't see how that looks suspicious. Now if Roach said "I don't want any drug testing" that would look very suspicious.

Also, if you know how Roach goes about his business it's not like he's got a long history of boxers testing positive for roids. This is just posturing by the Mayweather camp to get into Manny's head.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (WhiteLotus @ Jan 8 2010, 11:52 AM) *
What did Roach say that made you think Manny is on steroids? The testing Roach is proposing is well within the standards of what they've been doing in boxing for decades and Roach has been around for a long time. If Roach is merely proposing the status quo I don't see how that looks suspicious. Now if Roach said "I don't want any drug testing" that would look very suspicious.

Also, if you know how Roach goes about his business it's not like he's got a long history of boxers testing positive for roids. This is just posturing by the Mayweather camp to get into Manny's head.

Hate to intrude, but it seems whenever this "they accepted the testing" "tests standards" situation is brought up the actual point of why they (mayweather camp) is requesting random unannounced it completely by passed.

Understand this. Shane Mosely passed these same so called "tests" that everyone speaks of so highly yet he was later outed by victor conte to have been on PED's along with the actual scheduling he had shane on for his rematch vs delahoya.....So throw the "manny never failed a test" "the tests standards are fine" ...etc, etc. out the window....the current testing system is flawed.

so on the the actual factual. Unannounced random blood samples..etc creates trepidation and hesitation to cycle on PED's...that is the point of the "unannounced random" idea. You CANNOT counter that with.."sure we'll take random but not (insert your time here)" and keep credibility and try to save face. Anybody in the KNOW when it comes to PED's a red flag pops up. PED's are not the same as they were in the 80's. They can be cycled out in hours to days according to conte. I'll take his word for it over anybodies.

not to mention arum/top rank offering floyd pretty much a gag order type deal IMO to pay him 10 million if manny pops....pretty sure win or lose once that 10 went out floyd..he can't talk.

this in a nutshell is why it looks suspicious. And there aint too many fighters with the pull of floyd that could make this demand....they'll sign up for a payday basically.

so there you have it all in a nice package. Manny could be absolutely clean, floyd could be playing mind games...but the end of the day this is why there is suspicion NOW to those (like me) who live by the .."I don't care, I'll take your test and beat your azz still" old school.

Jack 1000
A general question about the Olympic drug testing,

If any fighter was found guilty of using PED under Olympic style drug testing, what types of penalties would there be? I know that for boxing, which one of Ruiz's opponents beat him and than the WBA found out that he was using steroids so they banned him for two years and gave the title back to Ruiz? Was that Valuev?, Chegnev? or someone else?

And what laws would govern such a conviction? International Olympic Committee rules, or the state in which the testing and offense in question occurred? Would the offender just pay some huge fine? Jail time? License Suspension? License Revocation? What types of penalties could be involved here on a conviction of using controlled substances?

Jack
torvix2000
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 20 2009, 12:43 AM) *
If that's the case and Roach really did say that, chances are Manny is on steroids.

Pacquiao's team was visibly upset when Pac's medical records were lost and NSAC ordered a reexam very close to the Morales fight. Visibly Upset = They have a meeting... kinda like a big very important meeting... and everybody looked like they were all f*cked up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.