Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can some1 give me a list of fighters who have ducked the Punisher
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
du365
In your opinion, a list of fighters from 147-160 that have ducked Paul Williams.
Fitz
Mosley, Margarito (for a rematch), Cotto, Mayweather and Pavlik.
gbh32001
QUOTE (du365 @ Dec 20 2009, 05:37 PM) *
In your opinion, a list of fighters from 147-160 that have ducked Paul Williams.
I can't remember any....and it is a fact that Marg fought him,Carlos fought him.
STEVENSKI
I don't think anyone has really ducked Williams as he has jumped around weights like a jack rabbit. Excluding Pavlik who blatantly ducked him I don't think anyone else has really ducked him.
salvador
Nobody's actually ducked him, it's just that the best at ww (like Floyd) have chosen to fight lesser opposition because they knew they couldn't beat him.

On a side note, Clottey (who was in shape, as he was training to fight on the undercard of Pavlik-Williams) was offered $650K to fight Williams as a replacement but declined. I don't know where else Clottey is going to get a $650K paycheck or such a high profile chance at redemption.

Keith
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 20 2009, 06:46 AM) *
I don't think anyone has really ducked Williams as he has jumped around weights like a jack rabbit. Excluding Pavlik who blatantly ducked him I don't think anyone else has really ducked him.

Ya, I agree with this for the most part. He didnt stay at welter long enough to claim anybody ducked him. I think he would of been last in line for the big fights but he could have forced Mosley or Cotto into the ring had he stayed at welter and fought his mandatories.
D-MARV
IT IS A FACT that the following has ducked PWill... Clottey, Pavlik, and Mosley. Mosley said "I really wouldn't want to fight that guy". Put to Mosley's credit he recently said that he would fight PWill now if he couldn't get Pac or May.

Like Sal said, Clottey was offered a good grip to fight PWill but said he needed more time. But Clottey was already training for a fight and still had 8 weeks to prepare for PWill.

Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 20 2009, 11:46 AM) *

Weight has never been a reason as to why some of the aforementioned fights didn't happen. Williams never said he wouldn't fight someone because he was in a weight class too far north. Just after the Pacquiao's win over Cotto, Paul was making noise about fighting Manny at 47. I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to do the same for the other big names at welter.
JLUVBABY
after his last fight i dont think to many fighters are going to be so called ducking williams... the guy is very beatable...
provo
I agree with you JLUV

First off I don't think the man has any business fighting in the welterweight division he's 6'2 .I don't think mosley,mayweather are ducking him ,its just nobody really outside of boxing know who Paul williams is .
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 20 2009, 11:38 AM) *
after his last fight i dont think to many fighters are going to be so called ducking williams... the guy is very beatable...

You're right... PWill is very beatable, Martinez has the tools to beat him. But Pavlik has NO chance of beating PWill!
Lil-lightsout
Klits, Dawson, Hopkins, Pavlik, Ward, Abraham, Dirrell, Mosley, Clottey, Cotto, Bradley, Mayweather, etc.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 20 2009, 11:00 AM) *
You're right... PWill is very beatable, Martinez has the tools to beat him. But Pavlik has NO chance of beating PWill!

def. agree... the best style to beating paul is a boxer... but i also notice a few other chinks in his armor such as he leaves himself open a lot and he is willing to take a few too many punches... that may be pavliks chance if that fight takes place...
D-MARV
Watching Pavlik last night made me even more confident in picking PWILL. Pavlik is slow and his feet are set in cement. His punching power is overrated but he still can bang. PWill will always have trouble with guys with quick hands and great counter punching ability. Pavlik has neither.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 20 2009, 12:06 PM) *
Klits, Dawson, Hopkins, Pavlik, Ward, Abraham, Dirrell, Mosley, Clottey, Cotto, Bradley, Mayweather, etc.

I must have missed all those guys. LOL. Honestly, this is getting stupid. PWill has been ducked before but there are plenty of fighters that are willing to fight him.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 20 2009, 12:15 PM) *
I must have missed all those guys. LOL. Honestly, this is getting stupid. PWill has been ducked before but there are plenty of fighters that are willing to fight him.

Just messing around. I do think after his last performance more fighters will be eager to fight him. I thought Paul looked amazing in the Winky fight, which I bet had a lot to do with Pavlik backing out.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 20 2009, 11:13 AM) *
Watching Pavlik last night made me even more confident in picking PWILL. Pavlik is slow and his feet are set in cement. His punching power is overrated but he still can bang. PWill will always have trouble with guys with quick hands and great counter punching ability. Pavlik has neither.

stylez in watching pavlik last night did you notice anything in particular about him?... meaning did he look the same or did he seem to have slowed any?... how did he look overall?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 20 2009, 11:13 AM) *

i wouldnt mind a pavlik/martinez fight....
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 20 2009, 12:36 PM) *
stylez in watching pavlik last night did you notice anything in particular about him?... meaning did he look the same or did he seem to have slowed any?... how did he look overall?

Personally, Pavlik did not impress me. If Espino could break tissues with his punches, Pavlik would have been in trouble. Pavlik has NO footwork! He is very slow and predictable with his punches. Pavlik is a tough guy who can punch, I'll leave it at that.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 20 2009, 12:36 PM) *
i wouldnt mind a pavlik/martinez fight....

Martnez 12-0
Snoop
QUOTE (provo @ Dec 20 2009, 04:52 PM) *
I agree with you JLUV

First off I don't think the man has any business fighting in the welterweight division he's 6'2 .I don't think mosley,mayweather are ducking him ,its just nobody really outside of boxing know who Paul williams is .

Why should a fighter's height determine where they should fight? If he can make the weight, he can make the weight. Capitalizing on all your physical advantages is what boxing is about.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 20 2009, 02:29 PM) *
Why should a fighter's height determine where they should fight? If he can make the weight, he can make the weight. Capitalizing on all your physical advantages is what boxing is about.

Thank You.

Thats like saying Valuev shouldn't fight heavyweight because he's 7 feet tall, In reality, Valuev shouldn't fight Heavyweight because he sucks Monkey balls.
Snoop
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 20 2009, 08:49 PM) *
Thank You.

Thats like saying Valuev shouldn't fight heavyweight because he's 7 feet tall, In reality, Valuev shouldn't fight Heavyweight because he sucks Monkey balls.

LOL

The same should be said of 90% of the HW division.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 20 2009, 04:38 PM) *
Just after the Pacquiao's win over Cotto, Paul was making noise about fighting Manny at 47. I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to do the same for the other big names at welter.

Thats it though. All talk no action. How about he actually campaigns at welter & forces the names to fight him? Considering he has not been anywhere near 147 recently I don't buy that he can just drop down whenever he feels like it.

As for fighting Manny what has he remotely done to deserve a shot at the king & his crown? Williams brings nothing to the table bar a small following amongst hardcore fans.

How about he fights on TV & wins in spectacular fashion repeatedly & makes his own name.

Starting to develop some venom for Williams which is not a good sign.....
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 20 2009, 05:30 PM) *
Thats it though. All talk no action. How about he actually campaigns at welter & forces the names to fight him? Considering he has not been anywhere near 147 recently I don't buy that he can just drop down whenever he feels like it.

As for fighting Manny what has he remotely done to deserve a shot at the king & his crown? Williams brings nothing to the table bar a small following amongst hardcore fans.

How about he fights on TV & wins in spectacular fashion repeatedly & makes his own name.

How can you develop venom for Williams? LOL, that man will fight ANYBODY, ANYTIME, and ANYWHERE... How many fighter do you know would fight Sergio Martinez on 5 week notice? He's called out all these fighters in efforts to get a super fight.

Paul has done plenty to deserve a title shot. He fought Margarito when Margs was suppose t be the most feared man in boxing. And when Margarito regained his title he offered the man a rematch to go along with a career high payday.

So let's get this straight. PWill wins a title at 147, 154, then moves up and ATTEMPTS to fight the 160 king and you develop Venom? get the fuck out of here.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 20 2009, 11:46 PM) *
How can you develop venom for Williams? LOL, that man will fight ANYBODY, ANYTIME, and ANYWHERE... How many fighter do you know would fight Sergio Martinez on 5 week notice? He's called out all these fighters in efforts to get a super fight.

Paul has done plenty to deserve a title shot. He fought Margarito when Margs was suppose t be the most feared man in boxing. And when Margarito regained his title he offered the man a rematch to go along with a career high payday.

So let's get this straight. PWill wins a title at 147, 154, then moves up and ATTEMPTS to fight the 160 king and you develop Venom? get the fuck out of here.

I know It is a bit harsh. It is more based on some of his fans proclaiming that he is the most feared man at welterweight when he has not fought there is over 12 months & the like.

One thing I do like is Williams attitude. He seems prepared to fight anyone anywhere anytime. He should ignore welter & carve out a niche at 160 & he has the ability & physique to dominate there.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 20 2009, 05:57 PM) *
I know It is a bit harsh. It is more based on some of his fans proclaiming that he is the most feared man at welterweight when he has not fought there is over 12 months & the like.

One thing I do like is Williams attitude. He seems prepared to fight anyone anywhere anytime. He should ignore welter & carve out a niche at 160 & he has the ability & physique to dominate there.

Gotcha...

Being a PWill fan myself, I get sick and tired of people claiming that he's the most avoided fighter in the world. There has always been someone out there willing to fight him. It's a shame that he doesn't have a bigger fan base. He wouldn't have a tough time finding the fights he wants.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 20 2009, 05:50 PM) *
Gotcha...

Being a PWill fan myself, I get sick and tired of people claiming that he's the most avoided fighter in the world. There has always been someone out there willing to fight him. It's a shame that he doesn't have a bigger fan base. He wouldn't have a tough time finding the fights he wants.

speaking of williams fan base who is his promoter?... id think a promotional company like golden boy would do wonders for him as far as getting him the kinda exposure he deserves...
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 20 2009, 06:56 PM) *
speaking of williams fan base who is his promoter?... id think a promotional company like golden boy would do wonders for him as far as getting him the kinda exposure he deserves...

Goosen-Tutor is his pormo comp... He also works under Al Heyman, so getting exposure shouldn't be an issue. After he destroys PAvlik, his fanbase should start to pick up. He's from South Carolina (not far from Atlanta), and trains in Washington DC, you would think he would have the Southeast on lock. But sadly, thats not the case.
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 20 2009, 11:30 PM) *

I think weight is a convenient excuse for the list of possible opponents at 147 to use in order not to fight him. I don't see why he would drop back down to fight against nobodies and try to "force" the big names to fight him when he's been doing that his whole career. That was the whole reason he moved up in the first place.

I was just responding to your claim that the reason he doesn't get fights is because he jumps around in weight classes, which is true, but I think that allows the top fighters to still duck him, just under a more legitimate excuse.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 20 2009, 06:23 PM) *
Goosen-Tutor is his pormo comp... He also works under Al Heyman, so getting exposure shouldn't be an issue. After he destroys PAvlik, his fanbase should start to pick up. He's from South Carolina (not far from Atlanta), and trains in Washington DC, you would think he would have the Southeast on lock. But sadly, thats not the case.

you would think.. the only people i know of that has heard of paul williams are die hard sports fans.. meaning they follow a little of all the major sports... outside of them an hard core fight fans the response i usually get when i bring up williams with mayweather and pac etc is "paul who?..."...
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 20 2009, 07:40 PM) *
you would think.. the only people i know of that has heard of paul williams are die hard sports fans.. meaning they follow a little of all the major sports... outside of them an hard core fight fans the response i usually get when i bring up williams with mayweather and pac etc is "paul who?..."...

Yep... it's a shame.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.