Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fighter of the Decade
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Snoop
Only two possible names come to mind for me. Manny Pacquiao (though these last three weeks have been rough on his rep) and Bernard Hopkins. I'd actually go more towards the Hopkins side since most of his feats were done earlier and steadily throughout the decade, while Pac's have been, for the most part, in the last 5 or 6 years and more in recent memories. That being said, I'm probably forgetting a ton of other potentials.

Thoughts?
Box in Hand
Pacquiao = Hogwash. I'm so pissed off at that dude right now it's unreal. Gimme Hopkins who has defied all odds even at an advanced age. They say he was too old at 36 during the middleweight tourney. He proved them wrong. He loses his titles in disputed fashion after having broken the record for consecutive defenses of his title. He moves up in weight and destroys the consensus Lightheavy Weight Champ (Something never done). He then retires and comes back to defeat Winky Wright (A man most wanted nothing to do with). Then he takes Calzaghe to the brink of defeat. Next, he hands Pavlik his first defeat easily. And still going............
xxxxxx
Either Hopkins or Mayweather should get it. If you look at both their body of work it's pretty obvious either one could get it. Pacman should also be considered and maybe deserved it until he looked guilty of PED'S by refusing to the random blood testing.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Dec 27 2009, 12:29 PM) *
Either Hopkins or Mayweather should get it. If you look at both their body of work it's pretty obvious either one could get it. Pacman should also be considered and maybe deserved it until he looked guilty of PED'S by refusing to the random blood testing.

No ones giving Mayweather Fighter of the Decade. He didn't take enough risks.
Snoop
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Dec 27 2009, 06:32 PM) *
No ones giving Mayweather Fighter of the Decade. He didn't take enough risks.

Agreed. His resume of the last few years has been pretty sad.
xxxxxx
I was looking back at some of the more successful boxers of the decade and you could even say Wladimir Klitschko could be a top 5 boxer of the decade. He beat the best that was out there and avenged 1 of his 2 loses in the decade. With his brother avenging the other one for him. I believe he won over 20 fights against the top rated heavys out there and knocked most, if not all of them out.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 27 2009, 01:36 PM) *
Agreed. His resume of the last few years has been pretty sad.

Mayweather Will be considered a top boxer of the decade.
Snoop
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Dec 27 2009, 06:39 PM) *
Mayweather Will be considered a top boxer of the decade.

Probably one amongst many, but not THE fighter of the decade. At least not for me.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 27 2009, 01:49 PM) *
Probably one amongst many, but not THE fighter of the decade. At least not for me.

I wouldn't say many serious candidates for The FOY. I can think of about 4 or 5 boxers that could realistically win it and Mayweather is 1 of them. I would prolly lean a little more toward Hopkins at this point though and wouldn't be surprised if Pacman got it unless the voters believed he cheated.
KookedKrack
This decade was kind of meh.....but out of all the fighters I would say Hopkins deserves it.
JLUVBABY
ive talked a lil shit on hopkins in the past but from an unbiased viewpoint id say bernard deserves fighter of the decade... you cant deny what he has done in his career much less what he has done this decade... he is def. a great fighter...
D-MARV
Hopkins hands down!

That bitch Pacquiao would be number 2.
JLUVBABY
i wouldnt have a problem with ol fishnets getting the title either... he fought everybody so you cant really knock him for that....
KookedKrack
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 27 2009, 04:58 PM) *
i wouldnt have a problem with ol fishnets getting the title either... he fought everybody so you cant really knock him for that....

That is not good enough though imo.....shit I could fight everybody and lose would that make me a candidate?
D-MARV
You know... I could see a major outlet like ESPN giving Fishnets Fighter of the Decade based solely on popularity.
Mean Mister Mustard
It's either between Hopkins and Pacquiao but those who say that Pacquiao doesn't deserve it because of his attitude this past few weeks, are not making a solid argument.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 28 2009, 01:07 AM) *
It's either between Hopkins and Pacquiao but those who say that Pacquiao doesn't deserve it because of his attitude this past few weeks, are not making a solid argument.

I think it is Pac pretty easily. Hopkins second due to his body of work & then who knows.....

Those saying "the lil bitch" don't deserve it are forgetting the fact that he has NEVER tested positive for anything illegal ever. He refused a non sanctioned drug test regime demanded of him by a clan of criminals. That does not make him any less of a fighter nor does it do anything less for his achievements.

Consider this list of names & tell me who has had a better decade?

Barerra x 2
Morales x 2
Marquez x 1.5
DelaHoya x 1
Hatton x 1
Cotto x 1

All fights won within the distance bar 3 of them.

Compare that to

Trinidad x 1
DLH x 1
Tarver x 1
Pavlik x 1

Two of those within the distance against smaller men moving up in weight.

To me it is pretty clear.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Dec 27 2009, 04:42 PM) *
That is not good enough though imo.....shit I could fight everybody and lose would that make me a candidate?

this is true...
darroy
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 27 2009, 07:30 PM) *
I think it is Pac pretty easily. Hopkins second due to his body of work & then who knows.....

Those saying "the lil bitch" don't deserve it are forgetting the fact that he has NEVER tested positive for anything illegal ever. He refused a non sanctioned drug test regime demanded of him by a clan of criminals. That does not make him any less of a fighter nor does it do anything less for his achievements.

Consider this list of names & tell me who has had a better decade?

Barerra x 2
Morales x 2
Marquez x 1.5
DelaHoya x 1
Hatton x 1
Cotto x 1

All fights won within the distance bar 3 of them.

Compare that to

Trinidad x 1
DLH x 1
Tarver x 1
Pavlik x 1

Two of those within the distance against smaller men moving up in weight.

To me it is pretty clear.

i agree w u except u said 2 smaller men moving up in weight when i say 3! oscar obviously, pavlik seems ordinary above 160 and i say tito while still good at 160 was better below 160. outside of mayorga and joppy, and cherifi tito never beat anyone else at middle. and also winky didn't belong at light heavy as well so that's 4 smaller guys hopkins beat!!! but overall i do agree w u.
STEVENSKI
That said it is not to discredit Hopkins as he is a ATG fighter & one of the greatest middleweights ever. His achievemnets are legendary & he is one of the very best of the last decade. I just think that Pac achieved more.
Byrd Man
Not a fan of Bernard, but damn you can't deny that shit at all....
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 27 2009, 07:30 PM) *

Since Im the only one that called PAcquiao the "Lil Bitch" I assume that remark was directed at me...

I never said that the lil bitch doesn't deserve it, I said the Lil Bitch is second behind Hopkins... It's a toss up in my opinion.
Big Slim Sweet
Pacquiao
Hopkins
Morales/Barrera/Marquez
Winky
Floyd Jr
D-MARV
Winky? Wow... why do you say Winky? Just curious...

By the way... Mayweather is a lil bitch too!
The Original MrFactor
I guess Cotto or Mosley dont measure up, or do they?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 28 2009, 02:46 AM) *

Thats the spirit.
RollsRoyce
When Someone says "Fighter of the Decade" I don't think of accomplishments as much as I think of who defined that era. For instance, Roy Jones accomplished more in the 90's, but Mike Tyson was the dominant figure in boxing the entire length of the decade.

So Who was the fighter of the '00? Well, really, it'd have to be DLH.
mexi-cutioner
PACQUIAO HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The man has compiled a 23-1-2 record with 20 KOs, not to mention winning titles at 122,126,130,135,140 and 147, beating the likes of Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Larios, DLH, Hatton, Cotto....

BHop is definitely a nose hair behind Pacquiao, but Pacquiao has accomplished more and brought more to the sport
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 27 2009, 10:46 PM) *
Winky? Wow... why do you say Winky? Just curious...

Winky was undefeated this decade until his last 2 fights, when he was 35 and 37 years old. Beat two hall of famers in Mosley and Trinidad. Maybe a 3rd if you count Quartey. And beat them all pretty easily.

I don't know. I'm no fan of the guy really, but I'd have to say he's in the mix.
KookedKrack
This thread needs a poll.
Snoop
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Dec 28 2009, 07:27 PM) *

Good call. I just needed to get some more candidates. Could one of the mods help me out with this?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Dec 28 2009, 01:27 PM) *

yep...
Romulus9
Pacquiao.

It's a pretty simple choice.

Hopkins second.

The Sports Illustrated writer who had Calslappy 4th should be shot, dragged into the street, and left for dead.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Dec 28 2009, 09:07 PM) *
Pacquiao.

It's a pretty simple choice.

Hopkins second.

The Sports Illustrated writer who had Calslappy 4th should be shot, dragged into the street, and left for dead.

pac is pissin his place as fighter of the decade away... hope he doesnt test positive for this random nsac has deemed for him and mayweather...
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 27 2009, 07:40 AM) *
Only two possible names come to mind for me. Manny Pacquiao (though these last three weeks have been rough on his rep) and Bernard Hopkins. I'd actually go more towards the Hopkins side since most of his feats were done earlier and steadily throughout the decade, while Pac's have been, for the most part, in the last 5 or 6 years and more in recent memories. That being said, I'm probably forgetting a ton of other potentials.

Thoughts?

I agree...
kidbazooka1
Manny should take it IMO.
Itchybutt
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Dec 27 2009, 03:28 PM) *
This decade was kind of meh.....but out of all the fighters I would say Hopkins deserves it.
Why Hopkins? It's Pacquiao by a mile. Starting from 106 lbs to 147 lbs. He won 7 divisional titles and 4 lineal titles. He's Henry Armstrong incarnate.
Itchybutt
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 29 2009, 12:49 AM) *
pac is pissin his place as fighter of the decade away... hope he doesnt test positive for this random nsac has deemed for him and mayweather...
That's a very remote possibility. It only exists in the minds of disfuntional Mayweather family.
The CEO
Manny is "Great" when he's juiced....but only very good when clean...you know who else was "very good"?...Joe Calzaghe.

laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Itchybutt @ Dec 29 2009, 08:18 PM) *
That's a very remote possibility. It only exists in the minds of disfuntional Mayweather family.

you arent reading websites then... it exists in more than he minds of the mayweathers..
King Eugene
Manny with an asterisk....

Give me Hopkins or Winky(Sweetness explanation was very valid)
SmartyBeardo
Boxer=Pacman

Fighter=The Pudgy Russian
AussieLad
Fedor is the fighter of the decade.
BigG
Fedor aint even better than the KLitschko's!
ROSCO
have to go with hopkins
blackbelt2003
Man, when you look at it like this, the 00's really sucked.

All the great names I'd plump for (RJ Jr, DLH, Toney et al) were really from the 90's. Only Hopkins, Pac and Mayweather have really been consistent throughout this decade.

And of them all, I'd say Pac, even though he's never really held it down at any one particular weight, which is normally the benchmark for greatness.

1/ Pac
2/ Hopkins
3/ Mayweather
4/ Barrera
5/ Marquez
6/ Morales
7/ Winky
8/ RJ Jr
9/ Moseley
10/ Tszyu

Something like that? Although my mind blurs and can't determine between, say, 1998-2002 so I might have added someone I shouldn't.

Black
Maxy
I think its been a really testing decade for fans of the sport. I mean, as far as great fighters go, the 00's have only really had the handful who carried on from the 90's.

Mayweather, with his talent, should have been a shoe-in for fighter of the decade but he blotched his copy book by ducking/avoiding/choosing not to fight the best competition out there.

He made a decision to fuck his legacy in favour of the easier options.

Fuck Hopkins, I can't give it to him. Whatever anyone thinks about the Calzaghe fight, Hopkins didn't dominate him did he? If he'd have done the business against the Welshman I'd ignore the first Taylor fight and give him fighter of the decade. That he's still fighting at the very top level is a credit to the mans dedication and ability but he's no fighter of the decade for me.

Pac? Maybe he is....begrudgingly, and simply because he's finished the decade so strong.

All in all though, its not been the best of decades for our sport IMO.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 2 2010, 03:05 PM) *
I think its been a really testing decade for fans of the sport. I mean, as far as great fighters go, the 00's have only really had the handful who carried on from the 90's.

Mayweather, with his talent, should have been a shoe-in for fighter of the decade but he blotched his copy book by ducking/avoiding/choosing not to fight the best competition out there.

He made a decision to fuck his legacy in favour of the easier options.

Fuck Hopkins, I can't give it to him. Whatever anyone thinks about the Calzaghe fight, Hopkins didn't dominate him did he? If he'd have done the business against the Welshman I'd ignore the first Taylor fight and give him fighter of the decade. That he's still fighting at the very top level is a credit to the mans dedication and ability but he's no fighter of the decade for me.

Pac? Maybe he is....begrudgingly, and simply because he's finished the decade so strong.

All in all though, its not been the best of decades for our sport IMO.

maxy ive been meaning to ask you who is that a picture of on your profile pic?
AussieLad
QUOTE (BigG @ Jan 2 2010, 12:17 PM) *

Fedor would destroy the Klits
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (BigG @ Jan 2 2010, 08:17 AM) *

You're right, he aint better, he's badder. There is no heavyweight boxer alive who would bother to show up to get his ass beat by TPR. The Klits are too intelligent to risk their lives.

The Pudgy Russian is the only true heavyweight champion.

By the way, I would rather watch TPR fight than any heavyweight boxer in existence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.