Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How would Floyd face against the All Time Greats?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Byrd Man
Apparantly in the new Ring magazine they hypothetically matched up Floyd against the all time great Welters, and ...well...I'm biased so I won't speak on this right off, but here's the results (summarized)

1. Mayweather v Sugar Ray Robinson? Robinson would win "a close but unanimous decision."

2. Mayweather v Henry Armstrong? Mayweather "would win a fairly close but clear decision."

3. Mayweather v Kid Gavilan? Mayweather would win "via split decision."

4. Mayweather v Sugar Ray Leonard? Leonard would win "a unanimous decision."

5. Mayweather v Charley Burley? Burley would "drop Floyd on his way to winning a close 15-round decision."

6. Mayweather v Jose Napoles? Mayweather would win by late technical knockout.

7. Mayweather v Carmen Basilio? Mayweather speculated to prevail by "unanimous decision."

8. Mayweather v Emile Griffith? "Mayweather takes it on a close but unanimous decision."

9. Mayweather v Thomas Hearns? Hearns would win by way of a late technical knockout.

10. Mayweather v Mickey Walker? Mayweather would win by technical knockout.
torvix2000
LOL!

These all time greats will all avoid Floyd!!
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 3 2010, 01:05 AM) *
Apparantly in the new Ring magazine they hypothetically matched up Floyd against the all time great Welters, and ...well...I'm biased so I won't speak on this right off, but here's the results (summarized)

The fact that he is even mentioned in this league says something. No one should doubt his skill. It's his funky attitude that makes people blind to his skill.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 3 2010, 12:05 AM) *
The fact that he is even mentioned in this league says something. No one should doubt his skill. It's his funky attitude that makes people blind to his skill.

Yeah I fully recognize his skills and abilities and give him due credit. My thing is we don't know just how great he is. It's just like Roy Jones Jr. back in the day, fighting stiffs and cans. Yes, the man was unbelievably gifted and had skills for days, but we never saw him match up against the very very very best on a regular basis, and be put to the test.

If Floyd fought Cotto, Margarito, Williams, Mosley, Berto and others of their level, would he still have his perfect record? Quite possibly, but we'll never know.

And that's where I always find myself frustrated with him (and Jones Jr. for that matter). As a Boxing fan I wish like a motherfucker that we could have seen those fights, and had a TRULY good look at how good he is. We see his skills on display but not against the very best who could perhaps expose something that none of us see, or something.

People take my dislike of him as some blind hatred but it's not. It's more born out of frustration than anything else. I've never once said he couldn't fight, or he sucks or anything like that.

My problem has always been what I stated above, and his asshole douchebaggery attitude.

So that's why I have a hard time imagining him in the ring with those guys because since Corralles he's not really tested himself, instead going for the money fights.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 3 2010, 02:12 AM) *
Yeah I fully recognize his skills and abilities and give him due credit. My thing is we don't know just how great he is. It's just like Roy Jones Jr. back in the day, fighting stiffs and cans. Yes, the man was unbelievably gifted and had skills for days, but we never saw him match up against the very very very best on a regular basis, and be put to the test.

If Floyd fought Cotto, Margarito, Williams, Mosley, Berto and others of their level, would he still have his perfect record? Quite possibly, but we'll never know.

And that's where I always find myself frustrated with him (and Jones Jr. for that matter). As a Boxing fan I wish like a motherfucker that we could have seen those fights, and had a TRULY good look at how good he is. We see his skills on display but not against the very best who could perhaps expose something that none of us see, or something.

People take my dislike of him as some blind hatred but it's not. It's more born out of frustration than anything else. I've never once said he couldn't fight, or he sucks or anything like that.

My problem has always been what I stated above, and his asshole douchebaggery attitude.

So that's why I have a hard time imagining him in the ring with those guys because since Corralles he's not really tested himself, instead going for the money fights.

Well said but his mentality is "Legacy don't pay bills". That's the worst line I ever heard come out of a champions mouth. Even Roy didn't go that far.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 3 2010, 12:20 AM) *
Well said but his mentality is "Legacy don't pay bills". That's the worst line I ever heard come out of a champions mouth. Even Roy didn't go that far.

Yeah. The thing is, though, that Floyd seemed like he was poised to be a marketing monster. He'd have beer companies, deoderants, soft drinks, etc all clamoring for him to endorse their products, with his combination of good looks, and camera friendly smile, and his obvious athletic abilities.

He's never been the best speaker, when put under pressure, despite his willingness to talk talk talk, but the sky was the limit for this guy.

But then he decided to play the bad guy, which didn't make sense to me. I mean I understand the mentality that he was having, the "they'll pay to see me hopefully lose" train of thought, but he could have raked in the fucking money man with endorsements, and he pissed it away by wanting to be the asshole bad guy. Because companies don't want assholes to endorse their products.

it's why you don't see Bill Belichick with a ton of endorsements (whether he'd actually WANT them is another thing though). I mean the Pats are my favorite team, but dude's a prick. Nobody wants their product associated with that. Except maybe a Hoodie manufacturer.

Same with Floyd. What company that is image conscious like a soft drink or a fast food or whatever, is going to want to do a deal with someone who's dropping f-bombs on 24/7 and projecting this image that he does?

And the fact that he's embraced this attitude, and then cries racism when people don't like him is simply incredible. That makes him even MORE unlikeable.

At this point the only people who like Floyd are those who ALREADY liked him and won't change for anything. They love that he plays this character and it's all good for them.

The people who don't, probably won't change. So he's stuck. He'll never be more popular than he already is, unless he goes on some world tour and gets to people who have never heard of him or some shit.
lloyd mayflower
The very fact that he needs to be hypothetically matched up against top WW's says all that needs to be said about Floyd.
leonthegee
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 3 2010, 12:12 AM) *

if u think margarito is an elite fighter then that shows u dont know shit. margarito was completely dismantled by shane mosley. shut out 9 rounds to none and then knocked out. elite fighters dont get shut out 9 rounds to none. margaritos only top win, cotto, is highly questionable at best. who else has margarito beat that is considered a top level ww or even a top prospect? the answer is nobody. hes a good pressure fighter at best but still a bum in my book.

leonthegee
if u think margarito is an elite fighter then that shows u dont know shit. margarito was completely dismantled by shane mosley. shut out 9 rounds to none and then knocked out. elite fighters dont get shut out 9 rounds to none. margaritos only top win, cotto, is highly questionable at best. who else has margarito beat that is considered a top level ww or even a top prospect? the answer is nobody. hes a good pressure fighter at best but still a bum in my book.[/quote]

[quote name='Byrd Man' post='467642' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:12 AM']Yeah I fully recognize his skills and abilities and give him due credit. My thing is we don't know just how great he is. It's just like Roy Jones Jr. back in the day, fighting stiffs and cans. Yes, the man was unbelievably gifted and had skills for days, but we never saw him match up against the very very very best on a regular basis, and be put to the test.

MarzB
Is it a pageant or a boxing match we're discussing here? Seriously is it Mr Congeniality thats FIGHTING or a boxer??

Yeah, he holds the patent to a "bad attitude" even though NO ONE here can say they KNOW him but they don't like his perception at the same time the ones that hate him the most can't seem to STOP talking about him. Right Byrdman,lol?? Sounds like a perfect combination to me.

Anyways, PLENTY of boxers and I could name some on that LIST have supposedly for whatever reason AVOIDED people (including Robinson)or didn't fight them. Floyd's career isn't over yet he's accomplished an awful lot in his career.

I agree with the bulk of those picks save for the Leonard pic. Thats a pick'em fight. First of all which leonard. The Tommy Hears I Leonard or the post multiple retirement Leonard?

Without going over the list, Floyd brings a vast amount of skills and most importantly PREPARATION that makes him a pick in ANY fight. As much as some people want to see it, you're NOT just going to KNOCK him OUT although IMO anything is possible.

Tommy Hearns is the only one on that list that pretty much shuts Floyd out and thats based on his ability to both box and be an agressive fighter.

Another fighter not on that list that I think gives Floyd problems is Aaron Pryor at 140. Aaron was very wild at times which would lead him to being caught often but when he chose to box, he was deadly.

Whitaker at 147 I think beats Floyd also
Lil-lightsout
Floyd at 130-135 would have giving anyone problems. At welterweight I do not think he would have fared as well. Sure wish we could have found out more about him at 147? Maybe it's not to late?
BigG
Tommy Hearns KO's Floyd.
Vodoo
The answer is Floyd would duck all the all time greats and then go fight pretty okay greats a couple weight classes south.
provo
Thomas Hearns would have beat Floyd .

Sugar ray leonard would have lost a SD.

Pernell Whitaker imo had the tools to skool Floyd.

A lot of them fighters on the list all come forward,Floyd is best at backing up and countering,he has great defense and is accurate when punching I think leornard and whitaker style would make Floyd come forward and that's what I think someone would have the best shot at beating Floyd.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jan 3 2010, 06:29 AM) *
if u think margarito is an elite fighter then that shows u dont know shit. margarito was completely dismantled by shane mosley. shut out 9 rounds to none and then knocked out. elite fighters dont get shut out 9 rounds to none. margaritos only top win, cotto, is highly questionable at best. who else has margarito beat that is considered a top level ww or even a top prospect? the answer is nobody. hes a good pressure fighter at best but still a bum in my book.

The point wasn't that Margarito is a beast. But more to the fact that, whether it's his fault or their fault or whatever, he didn't fight the very very best at his division of welterweight.

And it's easy to sit back and wait for people to lose and then point at them saying "told you they weren't shit, look at them he's a bum"

Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jan 3 2010, 09:29 AM) *

i saw hopkins shut out trinidad for 12 rounds. does that mean trinidad isn't an elite fighter? i'm not saying that margarito is elite, but he's no bum. "bums" don't set compubox records for punches thrown. he did beat clottey, who is a top level welter, and lost a close split decision to paul williams. he beat cintron who was an undefeated top ww prospect at the time.

the fact that you describe someone as a good pressure fighter AND a bum shows that you don't know shit.
Maxy
How would Mayweather do against such and such ATG?

Who gives a fuck?

When he's boxed, and beaten the best in his own era we might feel like talking about how he'd fare against the greats of other eras.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ Jan 3 2010, 01:18 PM) *
i saw hopkins shut out trinidad for 12 rounds. does that mean trinidad isn't an elite fighter? i'm not saying that margarito is elite, but he's no bum. "bums" don't set compubox records for punches thrown. he did beat clottey, who is a top level welter, and lost a close split decision to paul williams. he beat cintron who was an undefeated top ww prospect at the time.

the fact that you describe someone as a good pressure fighter AND a bum shows that you don't know shit.

lol. Good post. Plus I never even said Margarito was an "elite" fighter. Some people look for anything to talk shit man...
D-MARV
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ Jan 3 2010, 04:18 PM) *

I agree with 99% of you're post but Margarito lost a Competitive UD to PWill. wink.gif
STEVENSKI
To say he would win by TKO against Walker is the stuff of dreams. This against a welterweight that campaigned all the way up to heavyweight & fought anyone & everyone of the period. I could see Mayweather possibly potshotting & retreating his way to a win against walker but I think it is far far more likely that Walker would win this based on his aggression, stamina & strength.

This aginst a fighting champion who started at 147, fought & beat the best at 160 never losing his title in the ring & getting ripped off against one of the ATG 175lbers in Loughran before campaigning at heavyweight. LMAO floyd by TKO indeed.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Vodoo @ Jan 3 2010, 05:23 PM) *
The answer is Floyd would duck all the all time greats and then go fight pretty okay greats a couple weight classes south.

Nope. Gayweather will cleverly/cunningly/calculatingly make it appear that these ATG's were the ones who ducked him.

QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 3 2010, 09:40 PM) *
How would Mayweather do against such and such ATG?
When he's boxed, and beaten the best in his own era we might feel like talking about how he'd fare against the greats of other eras.

So true!!!
ROSCO
QUOTE (MarzB @ Jan 3 2010, 11:28 AM) *
Is it a pageant or a boxing match we're discussing here? Seriously is it Mr Congeniality thats FIGHTING or a boxer??

Yeah, he holds the patent to a "bad attitude" even though NO ONE here can say they KNOW him but they don't like his perception at the same time the ones that hate him the most can't seem to STOP talking about him. Right Byrdman,lol?? Sounds like a perfect combination to me.

Anyways, PLENTY of boxers and I could name some on that LIST have supposedly for whatever reason AVOIDED people (including Robinson)or didn't fight them. Floyd's career isn't over yet he's accomplished an awful lot in his career.

I agree with the bulk of those picks save for the Leonard pic. Thats a pick'em fight. First of all which leonard. The Tommy Hears I Leonard or the post multiple retirement Leonard?

Without going over the list, Floyd brings a vast amount of skills and most importantly PREPARATION that makes him a pick in ANY fight. As much as some people want to see it, you're NOT just going to KNOCK him OUT although IMO anything is possible.

Tommy Hearns is the only one on that list that pretty much shuts Floyd out and thats based on his ability to both box and be an agressive fighter.

Another fighter not on that list that I think gives Floyd problems is Aaron Pryor at 140. Aaron was very wild at times which would lead him to being caught often but when he chose to box, he was deadly.

Whitaker at 147 I think beats Floyd also

ROSCO
I can agree on mayweather beating acouple of the great welterweights,..maybe gavilon and basilio,,and even sugar ray leanord(who i wont recognise as one of the greats)..but thats about it..Out of the top 100 id put him around 25 and thats too good,
STEVENSKI
I like ROSCO's moxy. A bit of hate makes the world go round.
jlupi
dp
jlupi
a prime delahoya beats him. the list is a joke.

135 Ok 140 maybe bigger hes hot top 20.. hell he has yet to fight top WW
STEVENSKI
The fact they say he would beat Walker is the best joke I have heard in years. Walker would destroy him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.