Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frank Warren
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
By Mark Vester

During a recent chat with thisislondon, promoter Frank Warren discussed his career and all of the past and present British names that he saw through the ranks. He called Joe Calzaghe one of the more selfish fighters that he ever promoted. Warren claims Calzaghe used to withdraw from fights with non-existent injuries. Warren promoted nearly all of Calzaghe's big fights. They had a bad falling out before the final fight of Calzaghe's career against Roy Jones Jr. in 2008.

"Calzaghe is one of the more selfish ones," Warren says. "He pulled out of fights because of phantom injuries."

Warren said the finest performance of Calzaghe's career was nearly crippled off by Joe. To make his point about the phantom injuries, Warren claims Calzaghe and his father tried to withdraw from the Jeff Lacy fight for a third time with less than two weeks to go before the fight. Warren thought Lacy was overhyped and had to convince Calzaghe to move forward. He notes how Calzaghe threw 1,000 punches during the fight.

"In his book he says he was going to pull out of the Jeff Lacy bout, 10 days before the contest. His father rang to tell me Joe had a hand injury. We had postponed the fight twice already. The press had built up Lacy, so I told Joe, 'You can beat this guy with one hand.' He agreed to fight and in the end he threw 1,000 punches," Warren said.
Keith
The Mayweather of Whales.
KookedKrack
laugh.gif @ Calslappy's career being exposed since his retirement.

FightHype has been calling this dude a bitch for YEARS but it's taking this long for everyone else to catch up because they don't have that 20/20.

Like Mickey D's I'm loving it. smile_anim.gif
KENSOFINE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Kgnh0xyK0...feature=related

Joe Calzslappy fighting his way up through the ranks. ^^^
Maxy
This is no real surprise. Joe never wanted ANY PART of Jones or Hopkins when they were near to their respective best and it's already well documented how he bullshitted his way out of a fight with Glen Johnson. TWICE.

Warren and Joe fell out but in this instance I'll bet Frank is only telling it like it was.
jlupi
FightHype has been calling this dude a bitch for YEARS >>>

i musta missed it
KookedKrack
QUOTE (jlupi @ Jan 5 2010, 11:36 AM) *
FightHype has been calling this dude a bitch for YEARS >>>

i musta missed it

The forums not the actual fighthype.com

I'm pretty sure there was a hate wagon for him.
The CEO
Just another victim of an FH Hate Vehicle...

THE JOE CALZAGHE HATE WAGON SKULLSPLITTER - The CEO, blackbelt2003, KookedKrack, caneman, ROLL DEEP, Al Hata, kidbazooka1, Sweetness, BoxingStill#1, WindyCityP, Lil-lightsout, FenderDG3, Mean Mister Mustard, King Eugene, Fitz, JohnnyBlaze, xxxxxx, The Conscience, alaganza, StyleZ, Snoop, JLUVBABY, Brad

Sergeant at Arms STEVENSKI

Inspirational Prodigy BigG

Special Enforcer rusty_trombone

Devil's Advocate Spyder

South Pacific Administrator the ollie reed fan club

FightHype Medal of Hatred Recipient Method

Honorary President Bernard Hopkins

WE...are ALWAYS right.
KookedKrack
laugh.gif Inspirational Prodigy

laugh.gif laugh.gif Honorary President

salvador
Even if it's true, Frank Warren is a piece of shit for saying it. Warren made tons of money off Joe for years and, at the very least, owes Joe enough respect to keep is mouth shut.
ROLL DEEP
It doesn't surprise me at all.

I bet there are a shed load of fighters who pull out of fights, faking injuries and other things to get out of fights.

They do it for a number of reasons; to get a better deal, they might not feel ready, training camp might have been a disaster, or they're down right just scared.

There were always rumblings about Joe having bogus injuries, so it's no surprise.
lloyd mayflower
I respect everyones right to an opinion, and Joe is one that always causes the hatred to come out, but lets not go justifying that prick Warrens big idiot mouth by agreeing with him. He is fuckin scum. Every British fighter that gets accused of being undermatched, they more often than not are under his fucking bingo wing. Hence everyone fucks off and leaves him. Only reason the man even got a break is through being a grass.

And in Calzaghes book, which he wrote befroe the bust up with Warren, he mentions the injury before the Lacy fight, but clearly states it was Enzo who talked him round. He is a bitter fat cunt
Mean Mister Mustard
If you watch the Lacy fight you can see after the 1st round that Calzaghe actually looked surprised that he was able to handle Lacy with ease. I think maybe he was overrating Lacy like the rest of us were. Now, whether he faked injuries or not is to be debated but one must consider the motives that Warren has for divulging this information before turning it into gospel.
The CEO
I personally feel Warren deserves respect for admitting Hatton and Calzaghe were lacking, and that they needed to be overly protected in order to be successful...

It's not often you see a Promoter come clean not caring it makes him look bad too...that's how I know he speaks The Truth.

thumbsup_anim.gif for Sir Franklin Warren.
lloyd mayflower
You had better believe he'd still be Hattons number one fan if he was still involved when tens of thousands were flocking over the pond to see him fight PBF or Pac at the MGM
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 5 2010, 08:01 PM) *
Even if it's true, Frank Warren is a piece of shit for saying it. Warren made tons of money off Joe for years and, at the very least, owes Joe enough respect to keep is mouth shut.

Sorry Sal but that is where you are wrong. Calzaghe does not deserve any respect at all whatsoever. The guy is a fraud pure & simple. The simple fact that he got dropped TWICE by guys old enough to be his father in his last two fights tells me everything about this piece of dog turd.
streetlion1
I believe it! CuntSlappy was and is a paper champion who was spoon fed his opponents. The only REAL live dog he fought was B-Hop where he barely escaped with the win and ducked the rematch. People wanna bring up Kessler but I have always seen Kessler as a B-level fighter.
KookedKrack
Frank Warren is doing what is right for the sport smile_anim.gif
Warlord
Don't give a shit one way or another... but it's damn funny to read about a shitbag promoter (who was nearly killed by one of his own fighters over non-payments) come out and shit on one of his former fighters who dumped his ass, and suddenly he's a credible source.

His fighter tried to supposedly puss out of a fight, failed, and then proceeded to... RUIN and virtually END THE CAREER of the guy he tried to puss out against?

Just shaking my fucking head. Calzaghe failed to face some of the top fighters of his day and faced others when they were passed their primes. That doesn't make him too damn different from most of the other guys in the last 20 years. (Gay La Hoya, Jones Jr., and Gayweather are of course the biggest names to do so.)

Of course, he could've fought anyone and everyone around his weight division, and still got shit on, the same way the Klitchsko brothers did/do.

Oh well. I guess we still have Manny Pacquiao. Oh wait...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 6 2010, 12:13 AM) *
Where's the shame in getting dropped by Hopkins? He was a top 5 p4p fighter. Since when is getting dropped by a p4p fighter such a shame? I couldn't imagine someone saying that getting dropped by Marquez is embarrassing.
I hate Calzaghe, but he picked himself up and went on to win those fights. Once again, I could understand the embarrassment if Hopkins was a shell of his former self, 40+ years old, but he isn't. He was a top 5 p4p fighter.

Sorry. A fighter that is teh alledged calibre of Calzaghe does not get dropped like a sack of shit against Hopkins AND RJJ. Sorry he is a piece of shit with manufactured greatness.

What do you prefer Coca Cola or generic brand cola? One is the real deal & one is fake just like Calzaghe & his career.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jan 6 2010, 02:54 AM) *
Just shaking my fucking head. Calzaghe failed to face some of the top fighters of his day and faced others when they were passed their primes. That doesn't make him too damn different from most of the other guys in the last 20 years. (Gay La Hoya, Jones Jr., and Gayweather are of course the biggest names to do so.)

To be honest I actually thought De la Hoya stepped up against some dangerous guys. I wouldn't call Quartey, Trinidad, Hopkins, Mosley or even guys like Vargas walks in the park.

I actually do admire Warren in a strange way, he managed to make millions of dollars out of guys who weren't super exceptional.

Hamed, Fatton and Cal-slappy should go down on bended knees and blow the guy for managing to make them all multi-millionaire's without having to fight anyone too dangerous.

It's hard to say with Slappy coz he pretty much retired one fight after leaving him but once Fatton and The Ponce Hamed broke away from Warren their careers pretty much turned to shit.

Yes he does sound like a bitter ex though. He needs to either cut that crap out or start carrying some maxi-pads around in his manbag for that 'time of the month.'
salvador
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 5 2010, 07:05 PM) *
Sorry Sal but that is where you are wrong. Calzaghe does not deserve any respect at all whatsoever. The guy is a fraud pure & simple. The simple fact that he got dropped TWICE by guys old enough to be his father in his last two fights tells me everything about this piece of dog turd.

I hate him as well, but the guy did retire undefeated after facing just about everyone in his division. And my post doesn't have anything to do with Calzaghe and everything to do with loyalty.

The fact that Warren would talk badly about a business partner who put so much money in his pocket is unforgivable. It's a sickness of modern society. In America we have a guy named George Stephanopolous who, at a very early age, rode Bill Clinton's coattails into the White House and then, when things were going bad for Clinton, the piece of shit wrote a tell-all book entitled "All Too Human" about the guy who made him. He made millions off the book and became a very rich political commentator with his own tv show and he never would have been anything without Clinton. It makes me totally crazy that nobody calls him out on it - that somehow it's acceptable. And I think the same thing about Warren. If Warren was really concerned that Calzaghe was ducking guys or faking injuries then he should have said it at the time and ended his relationship with Joe, but he didn't. He stuck around for the money. Warren's a piece of shit regardless of anything Calzaghe ever did.

Maxy
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jan 6 2010, 01:54 AM) *
Don't give a shit one way or another... but it's damn funny to read about a shitbag promoter (who was nearly killed by one of his own fighters over non-payments) come out and shit on one of his former fighters who dumped his ass, and suddenly he's a credible source.

That isn't true.

Anyway I doubt there are any successful promoters in the world who are squeaky clean.
BigG
Calzaghe has always been overrated. His most impressive performance is over Kessler. Hopkins beat Calzaghe in my eyes. I respect him for his longetivity but he fals short of being a great. The TRUE greats of this era are Pacquiao, Hopkins, Mayweather, Morales, Jones Jr, De La Hoya, Mosley, Roy Jones. Barrera, JM Marquez.
Fitz
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 6 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Sorry. A fighter that is teh alledged calibre of Calzaghe does not get dropped like a sack of shit against Hopkins AND RJJ. Sorry he is a piece of shit with manufactured greatness.

What do you prefer Coca Cola or generic brand cola? One is the real deal & one is fake just like Calzaghe & his career.

The alleged calibre of Calzaghe is only from a small minority of people. Most boxing fans and respected people in the industry don't find him great. You know how much I am a fan of Hopkins and a despise Calzaghe, but he got a win over a top 5 p4p fighter and that is always going to be a good win to have.
I agree that Calzaghe's career is a fraud, but he had an impressive last 2 or so years of his career.
Fitz
QUOTE (BigG @ Jan 7 2010, 12:36 PM) *
Calzaghe has always been overrated. His most impressive performance is over Kessler. Hopkins beat Calzaghe in my eyes. I respect him for his longetivity but he fals short of being a great. The TRUE greats of this era are Pacquiao, Hopkins, Mayweather, Morales, Jones Jr, De La Hoya, Mosley, Roy Jones. Barrera, JM Marquez.

I agree that those guys are greater than Calzaghe. But people try diminish his last 2 years on top of that also. His last couple of years were good, and he has a good win over Hopkins.
I thought Calzaghe edged the fight (need to watch it again), and I can accept that someone had Hopkins winning. But it still shouldn't make his performance any less if you thought he lost. Guys like Pavlik who was highly regarded couldn't even make the fight fucking close, Tarver couldn't make a fight with Hopkins fucking close (yet nobody talks so much shit about those guys). Whether you think Calzaghe won or lost, the fight was damn close so even if you think he lost, it was a good performance in the fight with Hopkins. Nobody had ever made Hopkins act like that in the ring that night.
BigG
I give credit to him for his perfomance against Hopkins but I don't think he won the fight and I'm not being biased either. I didn't think Hopkins won the 2nd fight against JT either...

Fitz I've always given Joe credit for his victory over Kessler...

Youre right he was fighting decent opposiition. But after the controversial Hopkins win what did he do? He fought a way past it Jones and called it quits when he had a bunch of guys he probably should've fought. Very good fighter but dude I cant call him great...Just my opinion.
Fitz
QUOTE (BigG @ Jan 7 2010, 03:23 PM) *
I give credit to him for his perfomance against Hopkins but I don't think he won the fight and I'm not being biased either. I didn't think Hopkins won the 2nd fight against JT either...

Fitz I've always given Joe credit for his victory over Kessler...

Your right he was fighting decent opposiition. But after the controversial Hopkins win what did he do? He fought a way past it Jones and called it quits when he had a bunch of guys he probably should've fought. Very good fighter but dude I cant call him great...Just my opinion.

Agreed. I can't call him great either. He was a fraud for about 90% of his career. Though I still feel people try to ignore his last couple of years when I felt they were decent.
Though like you said, he isn't great and not even close.
Warlord
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 6 2010, 10:05 AM) *
That isn't true.

Anyway I doubt there are any successful promoters in the world who are squeaky clean.

Why was he shot by one of his own fighters then?
Maxy
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jan 7 2010, 12:53 AM) *
Why was he shot by one of his own fighters then?

If you're talking about Terry Marsh I'm pretty certain it wasn't him, even though at the time he was the number one suspect.

To be honest with you I always thought Marsh did it but a few years ago I was speaking about it to some shady geezers I knew, and things got pretty heated when I said, "Terry Marsh shot Warren."

I've since met Marsh and he's a decent bloke....
MarzB
I don't like Joe's style but he did what he thought was best. I KNOW there's two sides to EVERY story also I do know that Joe and Frank tried to make a fight with Hop in 2002 but Hop was in full "Must get Roy at 50/50" mode then.

What does make the story VERY believable is I remember when Glen Johnson had to go through some cancellations with Joe. Does anyone recall that??
Warlord
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 7 2010, 10:12 AM) *
If you're talking about Terry Marsh I'm pretty certain it wasn't him, even though at the time he was the number one suspect.

To be honest with you I always thought Marsh did it but a few years ago I was speaking about it to some shady geezers I knew, and things got pretty heated when I said, "Terry Marsh shot Warren."

I've since met Marsh and he's a decent bloke....

Even decent men are capable of indecent actions under the correct circumstances. I think the Joker said it best in The Dark Knight. "When the chips are down, these...humans... these civilized people will eat each other."

Not saying this applies or doesn't apply to Terry Marsh, but I don't imagine boxing promoters are really ever very far away from getting their guts spilled at one point in time or another.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jan 8 2010, 01:55 AM) *
Even decent men are capable of indecent actions under the correct circumstances. I think the Joker said it best in The Dark Knight. "When the chips are down, these...humans... these civilized people will eat each other."

Not saying this applies or doesn't apply to Terry Marsh, but I don't imagine boxing promoters are really ever very far away from getting their guts spilled at one point in time or another.

Also Warren claims to know whom it was that shot him. Would be interesting to get a few beers into him and have him spill his guts (so to speak.)

You have to wonder why he has never revealed it to the Fuzz.
Warlord
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 8 2010, 02:36 AM) *
Also Warren claims to know whom it was that shot him. Would be interesting to get a few beers into him and have him spill his guts (so to speak.)

You have to wonder why he has never revealed it to the Fuzz.

Because he'd probably have to incriminate himself to do it.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jan 8 2010, 05:31 AM) *
Because he'd probably have to incriminate himself to do it.

that's what I've always assumed as well. I believe it had something to do with that deal he made regarding the financing of London arena, but that's just one theory floating around.
blackbelt2003
Calzaghe has one of the most over-rated careers in boxing history.

The only two real wins of his career that could even purport to being great are Kessler and Hopkins. Kessler, I think it's safe to now say, is nothing special, just another solid champion, the likes of which Roy Jones, Mayweather and other true greats took out with ease three times a year for a decade.

And B-Hop, whilst on paper a credible win, was a shitty performance by both men. Calzaghe slapped and cuffed his way to victory over a guy who just didn't look like he wanted to be in there. Some will say that's down to Calzaghe, I would say it's down to a 40-odd year old man struggling outside his comfort zone, something which would happen again to B-Hop if he went in with a Chad Dawson-type fighter.

The Roy Jones win was shit. A B-Level guy in Danny Green just destroyed him, so how does Calzaghe being floored and labouring to a points win become a solid performance?

Chad Dawson beating Johnson twice means more than any of Calzaghe's victories, but no one calls him great, do they?

Black
King Eugene
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jan 8 2010, 05:30 AM) *
Chad Dawson beating Johnson twice means more than any of Calzaghe's victories, but no one calls him great, do they?

Not yet but oh they soon will be! He would have been on Kelly Pavlik's level(superstardom) had his last three to four victories all been by KO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.