Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: March 13, 2010 - Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Romulus9
From the Top Rank Boxing Facebook page:

Sorry Floyd…you had numerous chances to make the fight of the century happen. We are no longer waiting around for you! Top Rank is pleased to announce that Manny Pacquiao will defend his WBO welterweight championship title in a bout with Joshua Clottey, Saturday March 13, 2010! It’s on!

Okay...

let's hear it.

Discuss.
Spyder
Tough fight for Manny. Joshua won't just fall down for him.

His defense presents some challenges, so does his durability. I definitely like this fight better than Pac-Foreman.
D-MARV
WAR Clottey!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I really like this fight, due to Clottey's size and strength this is a good test for him. Probably the best fight he could take that is not PBF.
BigG
This is a pretty difficult fight for Pac...but I think he will prevail by CLOSE decision. But damn, I don't think Pac will look good.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Jan 7 2010, 10:58 PM) *
WAR Clottey!

smile_anim.gif

Clottey will end up in defense mode for most of the fight though. sad.gif
Jack 1000
Yea,

Not bad for such short notice. Not bad at all.

Jack
Keith
I can handle having to settle for this. If Clottey played earmuffs and threw too few punches to beat Cotto....

whats he going to do against a Manny onslaught?
tymoney
Now if he knock out Clottey or even hurt him, then hes definitely juiced the fuck out!!!! Lol.. nah but i guess he get respect for this, still think he bullshitted in da negotiations with Floyd, but i rather see Clottey than Foreman. All in all its still bullshit tho!
Rivado
Agreed.Not bad at all. And probably a better fight overall though a tougher one for Pac.

Esto es boxeo -- maricon!

JD
Pac will look bad against Clottey.
Rivado
If Pac blasts through Joshua then Pac is the real deal provided he is "clean" ofcourse.
Romulus9
You can bet that Team Mayweather is absolutely STUNNED right now. Silent for the first time in years.

They never believed that Pacquiao would walk and go for another option. They did. Bluff called.

Now what's out there for Floyd? Where's that intriguing matchup that will create a buzz?

Pacquiao-Clottey has that intrigue. Unless Mayweather meets Shane Mosley, a win over Berto needed for that as well, that matchup may not be out there. Despite what Floyd thinks, he's not this amazing force in the sport. Let him fight Malignaggi or Matthew Hatton. No one will notice.

Good move for Pacquiao. Great opportunity for Clottey. Looking forward to March 13.
Box in Hand
Is everyone nuts? Pac shouldn't even get a free pass after this shit. And to top it all off they are making it seem like Team Mayweather was to blame. I hope Clottey send Pac out of the ring on his back.
Rivado
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 7 2010, 08:17 PM) *
Is everyone nuts? Pac shouldn't even get a free pass after this shit. And to top it all off they are making it seem like Team Mayweather was to blame. I hope Clottey send Pac out of the ring on his back.

Explain "free pass"
leonthegee
clotteys a bum. this is an easy fight for manny. clotteys slow, gasses out in fights, and doesnt through enough punches. he basically marquez with the skill and heart.
d843
Now it sure wud be nice if floyd would top that with BRADLY.But anyway,clottey could definitely be the monkey wrench in this 1.Hopefully he learned something from the cotto fight!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Rivado @ Jan 8 2010, 12:21 AM) *
Explain "free pass"

Agreed I don't think Manny got out of this with a free pass. Poor dude had a hate pontoon made in his honour. laugh.gif
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Rivado @ Jan 7 2010, 10:21 PM) *
Explain "free pass"

The fans shouldn't even support this crap. If it's Pay Per View then those of us that see through the crap don't support it. Pac needs to be held accountable for his unexplainable reluctance to take the blood test. If this was Floyd we would be crucifying him.
Mean Mister Mustard
I think this will give us a good indicator about how the Mayweather fight would have gone down. I say this because Clottey's offense is very similar to Mayweather's both in speed and technique. Especially that straight right hand.

Pacquiao is not going to look good in there, Clottey is as strong a welterweight as there is, he has good firepower and that damn turtle shell defense that seems to be instilled into nearly every fighter from Africa. Pacquiao is going to win based on all the flashy combos he will throw, even though they will be blocked by Clottey, but like usual the Ghanian will probably become inactive at one point in the fight and allow Pacquiao to steal it.
JD
I blame both Pac and Mayweather for that fight not happening.

Pac has responded by fighting a top, big, strong welter. Let's see what Floyd does.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (JD @ Jan 7 2010, 10:33 PM) *

Pac has responded by fighting a top, big, strong welter. Let's see what Floyd does.

Clottey is flat footed. He gets killed by angles and Pac's rep is repaired as the media declares him God like. Pac needs to fight an agile mobile fighter which I hoped was Mayweather.
Rivado
QUOTE (JD @ Jan 7 2010, 08:33 PM) *

Exactly.

Romulus9
QUOTE (JD @ Jan 7 2010, 11:33 PM) *

Sources indicate that Mayweather is close to finalizing a deal to fight Jorge Arce sometime in late Spring.
Rivado
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 7 2010, 08:28 PM) *
The fans shouldn't even support this crap. If it's Pay Per View then those of us that see through the crap don't support it. Pac needs to be held accountable for his unexplainable reluctance to take the blood test. If this was Floyd we would be crucifying him.

It was Floyd that brought up testing in the first place. False accusations maybe, the court will decide. To some it was a way out of fighting Pac or using it as leverage in scoring the bigger chunk of the purse. Doesn't matter now.

Pac has to move on and bring home the bacon.

Fighting Clottey is no free pass.

Rivado
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jan 7 2010, 08:35 PM) *
Sources indicate that Mayweather is close to finalizing a deal to fight Jorge Arce sometime in late Spring.

That;s great news!

LOL

More points for me!
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jan 7 2010, 10:14 PM) *
You can bet that Team Mayweather is absolutely STUNNED right now. Silent for the first time in years.

They never believed that Pacquiao would walk and go for another option. They did. Bluff called.

Now what's out there for Floyd? Where's that intriguing matchup that will create a buzz?

Pacquiao-Clottey has that intrigue. Unless Mayweather meets Shane Mosley, a win over Berto needed for that as well, that matchup may not be out there. Despute what Floyd thinks, he's not this amazing force in the sport. Let him fight Malignaggi or Matthew Hatton. No one will notice.

Good move for Pacquiao. Great opportunity for Clottey. Looking forward to March 13.

Yea!!!! LOL!!!! Floyd running with his tail between his legs. He never knew the shit would hit the fan like this!!!! Hahahaha!!! His mouth is at least shut for a bit trying to figure this out. Oh and there's the lawsuit too!!!

Jack
KookedKrack
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jan 8 2010, 12:25 AM) *
clotteys slow, gasses out in fights, and doesnt through enough punches. he basically marquez with the skill and heart.

dry.gif

I hope that was a typo or I might have to revoke your boxing pass brehski.

The Original MrFactor
I know Clottey is an Arum guy, but wouldnt be surprised if he asked for testing too. Unless of course Arum comes with a lot of money... Clottey has a good shot to win this one.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I can settle for this. Clottey is a big welterweight, and he doesn't get hit clean a lot. Pacquiao can dart in and out, but Clottey will come forward and keep a stiff jab in Pacquiao's face all night. If he can cut the ring off and get him on the ropes this will be a close fight. We saw Cotto get Pac on the ropes at times in their fight, and Clottey is a bit rougher than him. If they put this on ppv they better have a solid undercard.
King Eugene
I give Clottey a damn good shot at this one. He loses due to inactivity though.

My question is what will Roach do pre fight to get the edge? Will there be a catch weight, a penalty for not making weight, and etc.? I highly doubt it will be signed sealed and delivered that smooth. Roach will pull something out of his bag to give Pac that advantage. I just hate his opponents only see dollar signs and agree to everything they say to do.

I like how Arum is keeping everything "in house" though. Why share the money if you dont have to.
The Original MrFactor
I wonder if they'll ask Clottey to come in at 145. I doubt Clottey can make 145. He's definately one that usually comes in heavy on fight night.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (JD @ Jan 7 2010, 10:09 PM) *
Pac will look bad against Clottey.

+1

Clottey will walk in the ring @ super middle. Tight defense with a good jab, Pacquiao has his work cut out for him.

Definitely a good fight.

PPV worthy?
Jack 1000
I would not bet against Pacquiao. I thought Clottey beat Cotto as did one of the judges. Joshua usually get short-changed on decisions and he will have to TKO/KO Manny to win. Than there are other times when Clottey doesn't do well in fights. He was doing well against Margacheato till he hurt his hand. Boxrec said that he later retracted that statement.

Gotta take Manny at at least a 60% chance to win on a decision. Either that or they will stop it giving Manny the fight on some eye accidental cut/headbutt thing and Manny gets the technical decision after they go to the cards They have to somehow keep Mayweather in the hunt and it's not good to lose to Clottey. But this time, I don't think Josh will do enough to win even legit and will lose 116-112 and 117-111 (twice.)

Jack
Col Reb
I think this is poor matchmaking on Arum's part. While it will be an exciting, tough fight, this is an awfully dangerous choice. He should have just taken Foreman (and an 8th title) as a tune-up. Clottey only makes sense if Pac plans on never fighting Floyd. Even so, he could have waited a few months and fought the Mosley-Berto winner. I guess the election is driving this quick fight, as well as both being with Arum.
The Original MrFactor
If Pac fights Clottey and Mayweather fights Paulie, Pac wins the battle of public opinion and P4P. Mayweather will have to fight another WW. I keep saying it, but bring on Margarito....
Snoop
I'm glad Pac is fighting someone other than Yuri Foreman or Paulie Malignaggi, but this shouldn't make us somehow stop questioning why he's so adamant against drug testing.
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 8 2010, 12:48 AM) *
I wonder if they'll ask Clottey to come in at 145. I doubt Clottey can make 145. He's definately one that usually comes in heavy on fight night.

This is what I'm thinking. They wont allow him to come in the fight too many more pounds heavier than the agreed upon weight which I'm sure wont be 147. I do remember Clottey turning down Williams for his biggest payday so I wouldn't be surprised if Clottey is a little stiff at the negotiating table for this one as well. Especially after watching the negotiating process of Manny and Floyd.
Nay_Sayer
Same day weigh in?
DatuLakandula
Manny Clottey? sounds good to me. Floyd must choose carefully or else he will look stupid if he will choose a woman boxer, Malinaggi. I guess they will fight for the 147lbs belt, and im sure no catchweight will be implemented.
Snoop
QUOTE (DatuLakandula @ Jan 8 2010, 08:38 AM) *
I guess they will fight for the 147lbs belt, and im sure no catchweight will be implemented.

Just like when Cotto and Pacquiao fought for the SAME belt right? Oh wait, there was a catch-weight.
DatuLakandula
good point guys. I know this is another challenge for Manny, but that's why i want to see manny fight because he's never the same fighter in every fight. 147lbs will be the contracted weight, i hope. There are many holes in Clottey that Roach can make some adjustments.
AussieLad
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jan 8 2010, 05:35 AM) *

My first thought on reading this was your joking right...

Then i remembered that was my first impression when the marquez fight was first mentioned scare.gif

Clottey is an extremely dangerous opponent for pac. Clottey is a rough night at the office for anyone at welter.

What can mayweather do to match this? Mathew Hatton is a good start i suppose lazy2.gif
DatuLakandula
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jan 8 2010, 03:39 AM) *
Just like when Cotto and Pacquiao fought for the SAME belt right? Oh wait, there was a catch-weight.

Oh its you Snoop, still making your comeback huh? Wanna bet?
Snoop
QUOTE (DatuLakandula @ Jan 8 2010, 08:46 AM) *
Oh its you Snoop, still making your comeback huh? Wanna bet?

No because I don't know if there's going to be a catch-weight or not. I never said I did. I just know that having a belt on the line doesn't guarantee there won't be a catch weight because he won the belt at a catch-weight.
STEVENSKI
What I like about this is Bob has played this out beautifully. Pac is fighting another highly dangerous Top Rank fighter in a fight that fans are happy to see by & large. What is Floyd doing? Who is Floyd gonna fight? Mayweather is playing checkers & Bob has been playing chess the whole time.

JonnyBlaze
This fight will be sweet but I don't give a fuck..If there is no Mayweather/Pac-man fight,I don't really care who they fight..It's bullshit..Floyd feels the pressure of this fight and he backed out..He'll never be remembered and that's how it should be..
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 8 2010, 09:31 AM) *
I hate Floyd, but he isn't at fault here I'm sorry. He didn't back out, he agreed to all of Pacquiao's demands. All Mayweather asked for was testing which Mayweather himself would have done. He would have done EXACTLY the same testing Pacquiao is doing, but Manny didn't want a bar of it. So I don't know how it was Mayweather backing out, and how was the pressure on Floyd? The pressure was all on Pacquiao. He is the one that didn't agree to the simple request, he is the one taking Mayweather to court. They are all the signs of someone else feeling the pressure.

Agreed. I don't go on the other news sources for boxing, but how exactly are they spinning this as to how this is Mayweather's fault?
King Eugene
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jan 8 2010, 03:40 AM) *
Agreed. I don't go on the other news sources for boxing, but how exactly are they spinning this as to how this is Mayweather's fault?

Basically saying Manny agreed to test up to 24 days before the fight and right after the fight but Floyd didn't budge on 30 with random drug test during camp. Arum comes out and says that Haymond and Schaefer trying to talk Floyd into agreeing with this and Floyd still wouldn't budge from 30 days and random blood drug testing through out camp.

Thats what they say
...a lot of people saying it too
-Life-
mexi-cutioner
goood fight, does anyone think that mayweather vs TBD and pacquiao vs clottey will both occur on Nov 13th????

I'd like the idea that it happens on the same PPV through a split feeed, two of the best p4p boxers fighting on the same ppv card that'd be something that hasn't happened since i dont even know when
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.