Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8th world title?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
blackbelt2003
Manny Pacquiao is apparently going for his EIGHTH weight class title.

WTF?

Let's tot these up:

WBC Flyweight
IBF Super-bantam
WBC Super-feather
WBC Light

That makes FOUR. When are we going to stop counting bullshit tin pot titles as the real thing? The record is FIVE world titles, held by Ray Leonard and, (unfortunately), Floyd Mayweather.

It pisses me off when people start counting DLH as a six weight champ, or Barrera as a three weight champ, when all they did was win WBO or 'peoples champ' belts.

Call a spade a spade.

Black
blackbelt2003
OK, just seen Pac-Clottey is set.

That's better than Pac-Foreman. And let's not call it a 'world' title fight?

Black
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jan 8 2010, 06:36 AM) *
OK, just seen Pac-Clottey is set.

That's better than Pac-Foreman. And let's not call it a 'world' title fight?

Black

Tough luck creating a new thread to a phantom fight aye Black? drinks.gif

Pac/Clottey will count as a title fight though?
King Eugene
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 8 2010, 05:46 AM) *
Tough luck creating a new thread to a phantom fight aye Black? drinks.gif

Pac/Clottey will count as a title fight though?

If its a catch weight fight in wont count in my eyes.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jan 8 2010, 10:47 AM) *
If its a catch weight fight in wont count in my eyes.

Correct, if the point of this is to prove something to Floyd, cut the bullshit and do it right.
MarzB
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jan 8 2010, 06:34 AM) *
Manny Pacquiao is apparently going for his EIGHTH weight class title.

WTF?

Let's tot these up:

WBC Flyweight
IBF Super-bantam
WBC Super-feather
WBC Light

That makes FOUR. When are we going to stop counting bullshit tin pot titles as the real thing? The record is FIVE world titles, held by Ray Leonard and, (unfortunately), Floyd Mayweather.

It pisses me off when people start counting DLH as a six weight champ, or Barrera as a three weight champ, when all they did was win WBO or 'peoples champ' belts.

Call a spade a spade.

Black

Actually you're forgetting Tommy Hearns who has a much more legitimate claim on Five World titles than Leonard. Leonard won a FAUX Light Heavyweight championship when he beat Donny Lalonde for the "Light Heavyweight" championship but they fought at 168lbs which is crap.

Hearns actually fought at the weight limits (No CATCH WEIGHTS).

Whats funny is hearing Bob Arum discuss how "great" Manny is when Tommy was one of his fighters and I could name present LIGHTWEIGHT and Junior Welters that would give Manny HELL much less historically.
Maxy
Yeah, agreed, and just imagine how damn easy Hearns would have dispatched of Pacquiao.

Two rounds TOPS!!!
MarzB
I was about to comment but the pic made me forget what I was gonna say Maxy,lol
King Eugene
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 8 2010, 04:48 PM) *
Yeah, agreed, and just imagine how damn easy Hearns would have dispatched of Pacquiao.

Two rounds TOPS!!!

When I think of Pacquial vs. Hearns for some reason the Hearns vs. Duran fight replays in my mind.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (MarzB @ Jan 8 2010, 09:36 PM) *
Actually you're forgetting Tommy Hearns who has a much more legitimate claim on Five World titles than Leonard. Leonard won a FAUX Light Heavyweight championship when he beat Donny Lalonde for the "Light Heavyweight" championship but they fought at 168lbs which is crap.

Hearns actually fought at the weight limits (No CATCH WEIGHTS).

Whats funny is hearing Bob Arum discuss how "great" Manny is when Tommy was one of his fighters and I could name present LIGHTWEIGHT and Junior Welters that would give Manny HELL much less historically.

Actually I didn't forget Tommy Hearns, I just don't count the bogus WBO belt he won as a legitimate world title, that's all. If we add the WBO belt, there are WAAAAAAAAAAAY too many multiple weight champs who don't deserve to be.

Black
BigG
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jan 9 2010, 07:21 PM) *
Actually I didn't forget Tommy Hearns, I just don't count the bogus WBO belt he won as a legitimate world title, that's all. If we add the WBO belt, there are WAAAAAAAAAAAY too many multiple weight champs who don't deserve to be.

Black

I wish instead of having all these WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO we'd have it like the old days and just have one WORLD TITLE.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (BigG @ Jan 9 2010, 06:30 PM) *
I wish instead of having all these WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO we'd have it like the old days and just have one WORLD TITLE.

I hear you loud and clear, G.

But even back in the days you had the NYSAC and the NBA belts. In a lot of lower weight classes, they'd often get split and it would take a while to get them unified, so it's always some shit that's gone on.

With three belts it's difficult enough, but the great fighters like Pernell Whitaker, Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Kostya Tszyu, Winky Wright etc managed it.

Problem is, if you throw in the WBO belt and class it as a fourth major sanctioning body it means the only undisputed champions we've had since 1989 (when the WBO started up) are Hopkins and...wait for it...Jermain Taylor.

That is not good.

Black
MarzB
If you want to go there then how is it then WIDELY acknowledged that Hearns is the FIRST to accomplish this feat then?

If then we're only talking about WBC, WBA and IBF then Hearns legitimately has four where he fought at the designated weight unlike Leonard who your acknowledging. Please answer my point about Leonard vs. Lalonde at 168 when the belt was for Lalonde's Lt Heavyweight championship??

The only WBO belt Hearns had was against Michael Olajide(sp?)at 168. The rest are Cuevas-147/WBA, Benitez-154/WBC, Roldan-160/WBC, and Dennis Andries-175/WBA (I believe). Whats even more impressive is he won the 175lb title then went back down to mddleweight and beat Roldan. Then came back up against a prime Virgil Hill to take his WBC light heavyweight belt.

You can "say" he captured the middleweight belt twice after he should have been given the decision against Leonard in their second fight.

Now list me Ray's legitmate four and supposedly five belts?
blackbelt2003
OK

Leonard:
WBC Welter (Benitez)
WBA Jr Middle (Kalule)
WBC Middle (Hagler)
WBC Super-middle (Lalonde)
WBC Light-heavy (Lalonde)

THIS EQUALS FIVE

Hearns:
WBA Welter (Cuevas)
WBC Jr Middle (Benitez)
WBC Middle (Roldan)
WBC Light-heavy (Andries)

THIS EQUALS FOUR

Now you can argue the merit of how each belt was won, and yes, it is bullshit that Leonard was allowed to fight for two belts in one go, but that's how it is. If you want to go ahead and say that the fight was only for the super-middle title, then, fine, you do that and say Leonard is a four weight champ. It's not a problem. It's just the same as me saying Hearns WBO belt is meaningless.

Black
ROLL DEEP
WBO?

Pfffft. Gaylords.
Snoop
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jan 9 2010, 07:31 PM) *
Problem is, if you throw in the WBO belt and class it as a fourth major sanctioning body it means the only undisputed champions we've had since 1989 (when the WBO started up) are Hopkins and...wait for it...Jermain Taylor.

That is not good.

Black

LOL. God, that is sad.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (MarzB @ Jan 9 2010, 03:09 PM) *
If you want to go there then how is it then WIDELY acknowledged that Hearns is the FIRST to accomplish this feat then?

If then we're only talking about WBC, WBA and IBF then Hearns legitimately has four where he fought at the designated weight unlike Leonard who your acknowledging. Please answer my point about Leonard vs. Lalonde at 168 when the belt was for Lalonde's Lt Heavyweight championship??

The only WBO belt Hearns had was against Michael Olajide(sp?)at 168. The rest are Cuevas-147/WBA, Benitez-154/WBC, Roldan-160/WBC, and Dennis Andries-175/WBA (I believe). Whats even more impressive is he won the 175lb title then went back down to mddleweight and beat Roldan. Then came back up against a prime Virgil Hill to take his WBC light heavyweight belt.

You can "say" he captured the middleweight belt twice after he should have been given the decision against Leonard in their second fight.

blackbelt2003
QUOTE (MarzB @ Jan 9 2010, 08:09 PM) *

Oh yeah, couple more points, Hearns won the WBC belt from Andries and the WBA from Hill, not the other way round.

And the second Leonard-Hearns fight was at super-middle, not middle, so he wouldn't have captured the middleweight belt twice even if you went against the official decision which, of course, was a draw, although that would have made him a legit five weight champion.

Black
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.