Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather taking banned substance?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Byrd Man
Obviously the last paragraph HAS to be taken into consideration here, but .....it'll be interesting to see if this is true.

I didn't know Xylocaine was illegal. Maybe I'm thinking of lidocaine. lol

It has come to light today that Floyd Mayweather has used injectable pain killers such as Xylocaine in the past before fights. The irony being that this drug is illegal in nearly all states, with one notable exception, Nevada.

Perhaps the reason for Golden Boy and Mayweather not wanting to fight in Texas now becomes clear. Obviously if tested there, particularly with the extensive testing he was asking for, Mayweather would test positive for a banned substance. In Nevada, these drugs are legal, and presumably can be used for athletic competition without any legal or financial recourse.

After all the negotiating trouble and accusations about Manny Pacquiao and his supposed steroid use, it appears Mayweather is the one taking widely banned substances.

The reason for Floyd using these drugs is presumably due to the fact that his hands are rather brittle, and he has broken both several times in the past. With a numbing agent to stop his hands hurting he can throw punches more often and without fear of hurting himself as much.

Another question this throws up is whether these drugs are illegal in Olympic style testing. Presumably they will be detected in some form, although whether they are illegal or not surely rests with the Nevada State Athletic Commission rather than anything else. They are the ones after all who make up the lists of what is and isn't allowed in athletic competition in the state. Olympic standards are different to these slightly, although anything extra testing found would surely be inadmissible against Floyd if the NSAC allowed it.

If nothing else, this news breaking again will further damage the already shaky reputation of Mayweather, who has seen his public opinion fall greatly with the drug testing debacle around his possible fight with Manny Pacquiao. whatever Floyd was trying to do there, and surely now it can't have been that he really wanted the testing initially, it has now backfired severely.

Full details about the use of the drug can be found in an old article on Insider Boxing, dredged up from the depths by a Paclander by the name of Maverick65.
Now obviously this article is old and was written by someone who doesn't like Mayweather very much by the sounds of it. However if the information is correct then mayweather is probably still doing the same things as he was back then. Brittle hands don't ever get tougher
Byrd Man
and for the record I'm not saying he is or isn't taking that, or whether it's even a big fucking deal. Just an interesting aside to all this.
Box in Hand
This isn't even on the level of PED's if it's true. This stuff sounds like it only helps with the pain. A far cry from juicing.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 8 2010, 06:26 PM) *
This isn't even on the level of PED's if it's true. This stuff sounds like it only helps with the pain. A far cry from juicing.

To be fair...he IS (allegedly) using a banned substance. I mean Shannon Briggs just got suspended due to what has been said was asthma medication. I've actually heard of that happening before.

EDIT: Looking back I can't believe I actually said it wasn't a PED and then went on to explain why it's a PED a post later. lol. Momentary lapse.
Keith
Oh man, the plot thickens.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 8 2010, 08:27 PM) *
I agree, it's not a PED, however to be fair...he IS (allegedly) using a banned substance. I mean Shannon Briggs just got suspended due to what has been said was asthma medication. I've actually heard of that happening before.

Also, he hasn't had problems with his hands since he bought that spanish guy on board. I'd rather fight a guy on pain killers than face a guy on PED's any day. Besides, May said he would subject himself to the same test as Pac and Pac still refused.

P.S,
I am a proud member of the Pontoon!
Byrd Man
lol @ pontoon.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 8 2010, 08:17 PM) *
Obviously the last paragraph HAS to be taken into consideration here, but .....it'll be interesting to see if this is true.

I didn't know Xylocaine was illegal. Maybe I'm thinking of lidocaine. lol

ali shot up with novacaine between his knuckles before most of his last fights... novacaine i dont think was banned but the point is i have no probem with a fighter numbing pain in their hands for a fight... thats a far cry from doping...
Byrd Man
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 8 2010, 06:36 PM) *
ali shot up with novacaine between his knuckles before most of his last fights... novacaine i dont think was banned but the point is i have no probem with a fighter numbing pain in their hands for a fight... thats a far cry from doping...

The point that I think many people will be making is that no matter how insignificant it IS a banned substance. It's banned for a reason, I'd guess.

I don't believe those who are in charge of doling out punishment will sit back and say "well, it's just to numb up his hands, what harm could it do?"

I'm sure there are those who could ALSO say that by numbing up his hands, he gets an unfair advantage because he can just wail away on someone and not worry about the pain from it that perhaps would lead to someone having to bow out of a fight due to their hand being fucked up.

Just because you don't see numbing the hands as a big deal, doesn't mean there's not a reason it's banned.
Keith
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 8 2010, 09:26 PM) *

QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 8 2010, 09:27 PM) *
I agree, it's not a PED, however to be fair...he IS (allegedly) using a banned substance.

Its really a matter of semantics.

If this pain killer allows him to throw more punches or harder punches then is it not enhancing his performance in the ring?
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 8 2010, 08:45 PM) *
Its really a matter of semantics.

If this pain killer allows him to throw more punches or harder punches then is it not enhancing his performance in the ring?

When has Mayweather ever broken any records for punches thrown per round??? Go ahead, I'll wait...................

He throws maybe 30 punches a round. I think this article has very little weight.
Keith
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 8 2010, 09:59 PM) *
When has Mayweather ever broken any records for punches thrown per round??? Go ahead, I'll wait...................

He throws maybe 30 punches a round. I think this article has very little weight.

You didnt answer my question.

What difference would it make how many punches he throws per round? You are correct that he does not throw a lot but what if it was 5 less per round because of the pain killer. Is his performance not enhanced? Or if those 30 were all a tad harder? Simple question.

The article might not have any validity....
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 8 2010, 09:05 PM) *
You didnt answer my question.

What difference would it make how many punches he throws per round? You are correct that he does not throw a lot but what if it was 5 less per round because of the pain killer. Is his performance not enhanced? Or if those 30 were all a tad harder? Simple question.

The article might not have any validity....

First off, he has not been known to take anything. This like Pacquaio is pure speculation. The difference is, May is willing to submit to a battery of test Pac isn't. Paink killers aren't banned by Nevada, PED's are banned by EVERYONE!
thehype
BLASPHEMY!

MAYWEATHER SHOULD FILE A DEFAMATION LAWSUIT! THAT'S THE ONLY WAY HE CAN PROVE IT'S NOT TRUE AND HE'S CLEAN!
Byrd Man
QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 8 2010, 07:21 PM) *
BLASPHEMY!

MAYWEATHER SHOULD FILE A DEFAMATION LAWSUIT! THAT'S THE ONLY WAY HE CAN PROVE IT'S NOT TRUE AND HE'S CLEAN!

Amen, brother! lol
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 9 2010, 03:26 AM) *

Actually it is a PED. If Mayweather can punch without pain then that improoves his performance in fights enabling him to hit harder for longer periods of time before he feels signifigant pain. Classic PED if I ever heard of one.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 8 2010, 09:27 PM) *
Actually it is a PED. If Mayweather can punch without pain then that improoves his performance in fights enabling him to hit harder for longer periods of time before he feels signifigant pain. Classic PED if I ever heard of one.

Pain killers and PED's are not defined the same no matter how you try and twist it. I can say gatorade is a PED because it gives the body back electrolites enabling you to work longer. Sounds like this is reaching and far from what Manny is accused of.
Mean Mister Mustard
Mayweather really looked bad against Carlos Hernandez due to his inability to throw meaningful punches. If his hands are really as brittle as they seem he should not be fighting. Thanks to his amazing defense he won't suffer from any speech impediments but he might have severe problems with his hands.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 9 2010, 04:33 AM) *
Pain killers and PED's are not defined the same no matter how you try and twist it. I can say gatorade is a PED because it gives the body back electrolites enabling you to work longer. Sounds like this is reaching and far from what Manny is accused of.

Does a painkiller injected into your hands allow you to punch your hardest longer? Yes? Then it is a PED as it enhances your performance allowing you to compete at a higher level of activity longer. See this painkiller Mayweather alledgedly used is illegal except in Nevada. A loophole if you like, playing within the rules. Gatorade is a bad example as it contains no prohibited ingredients.
provo
I have a hard time believing Floyd would inject anything into his body,

I would not be surprised if This got leaked jus to get Pacs camp to agree to testing LOL...
DatuLakandula
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 8 2010, 11:33 PM) *

Sorry dude! painkillers is a type of PED, such as lidocaine (xylocaine). here is the link for that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance-enhancing_drugs
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (provo @ Jan 8 2010, 11:48 PM) *

I would not be surprised if This got leaked jus to get Pacs camp to agree to testing LOL...

Actually it's true. Prior to the first Castillo fight HBO did a little segment on hand injuries and I believe they mentioned that Mayweather received injections in his hands for other bouts.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (provo @ Jan 8 2010, 09:48 PM) *

I agree. This is just someone searching for something to pin on Mayweather.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (DatuLakandula @ Jan 8 2010, 09:49 PM) *
Sorry dude! painkillers is a type of PED, such as lidocaine (xylocaine). here is the link for that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance-enhancing_drugs

Are you using wikipedia? Not a viable source, try somewhere else.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 8 2010, 09:44 PM) *
Does a painkiller injected into your hands allow you to punch your hardest longer? Yes? Then it is a PED as it enhances your performance allowing you to compete at a higher level of activity longer. See this painkiller Mayweather alledgedly used is illegal except in Nevada. A loophole if you like, playing within the rules. Gatorade is a bad example as it contains no prohibited ingredients.

Gatorade is a good example. Why can't fighters drink it in between rounds?
CreDog
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 8 2010, 08:26 PM) *

Re-read your statement.... "It only helps with the pain" now that is some funny ass $hit. You do know that Money May's only OFFICIAL KO was when he hit Hernandez and winced in pain and touch the canvass. Look it up... you tube it buddy. They guy has brittle hands.

Make your own assumptions.

dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 8 2010, 04:27 PM) *

If Floyd did use the stuff and it is not illegal then there's no problem...remember the LAW is given to exposed SIN...if there is no law against that stuff Floyd has taken then it is alright for him and other like him to use that stuff....get it..?..
CreDog
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 8 2010, 09:58 PM) *
Gatorade is a good example. Why can't fighters drink it in between rounds?

WOW!! I hate to keep clowning your ass but, DAMN... you need to go back to school and at least get yourself a GED before you post again.

CreDog
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Jan 8 2010, 10:05 PM) *
If Floyd did use the stuff and it is not illegal then there's no problem...remember the LAW is given to exposed SIN...if there is no law against that stuff Floyd has taken then it is alright for him and other like him to use that stuff....get it..?..

LOL.. it's not the law, it's the athletic commissions... LOL... SINS?? LOL...
Box in Hand
QUOTE (CreDog @ Jan 8 2010, 10:05 PM) *
Re-read your statement.... "It only helps with the pain" now that is some funny ass $hit. You do know that Money May's only OFFICIAL KO was when he hit Hernandez and winced in pain and touch the canvass. Look it up... you tube it buddy. They guy has brittle hands.

Make your own assumptions.

Let me guess, you're Pac's left nut right? He wasn't KO'ed ding a ling. It was a knock down.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (CreDog @ Jan 8 2010, 10:08 PM) *
WOW!! I hate to keep clowning your ass but, DAMN... you need to go back to school and at least get yourself a GED before you post again.

You must be slow. First you confuse a KO with a knock down then you tell me about education. Dude, I have a Bachelor's, 2 Masters (1 MBA), and am a doctoral student. You only have a key board and a puss where you're dick should be.
Mean Mister Mustard
Are sports drinks as a whole banned? I had also read that in some states Gateroade was banned from the corners then during the Chris John-Rocky Juarez rematch I saw John drinking some yellow liquid from a stylish bottle that looked like some sort of energy drink logo. Curious if anyone knows what it is?
provo
WOW ! Did anyone just read what teddy atlas said about Pacs emails to Floyds camp??????
JD
Gatorade can be used between rounds in certain states, if both fighters agree to it is what I understood. THis rule change is not that old either.

On Floyd and Pac...honestly, I am so tired of this whole thing. I blame them both for the fight not coming off, but would find it hilarious if Floyd only fights in Vegas because he uses a substance that is banned everywhere else.

Box in Hand
QUOTE (provo @ Jan 8 2010, 10:36 PM) *
WOW ! Did anyone just read what teddy atlas said about Pacs emails to Floyds camp??????

Yup, that's the second person with this. Teddy Atlas as far as I know has always been an honest person. Shit, he had the nuts to pull a gun on young Tyson so I'm guessing he isn't scared to speak the truth.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 8 2010, 11:43 PM) *
Yup, that's the second person with this. Teddy Atlas as far as I know has always been an honest person. Shit, he had the nuts to pull a gun on young Tyson so I'm guessing he isn't scared to speak the truth.

What did he say?
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 8 2010, 10:47 PM) *
What did he say?

Oh, read the front page of Hype. Teddy says his source saw the emails from Pacquiao's camp asking what would be the penalty if Pac tested positive. They sent a second one asking if he does test positive could May's camp keep it quiet. This story was also printed in the New York Times a few days ago.
provo
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 8 2010, 08:43 PM) *

If Teddy is saying this there's something definitly going on with Pacman I mean HGH man LOL!
provo
Damn Pac just keeps looking Dumber and Dumber as the days go by! LOL...

Teddy should be careful he might be next to get sued LOL..
Byrd Man
loooooooooool @ the first comment on that article.

torvix2000
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 9 2010, 04:09 AM) *
First off, he has not been known to take anything. This like Pacquaio is pure speculation. The difference is, May is willing to submit to a battery of test Pac isn't. Paink killers aren't banned by Nevada, PED's are banned by EVERYONE!

According to the article, it is banned in 49 other states EXCEPT Nevada. No wonder, Gayweather doesn't want to fight in Texas. LOL!
Box in Hand
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jan 8 2010, 11:10 PM) *
According to the article, it is banned in 49 other states EXCEPT Nevada. No wonder, Gayweather doesn't want to fight in Texas. LOL!

Oh Torvix. Wake up my man. Vegas was agreed on by Pac as well. In fact, Manny said he woudln't fight anywhere else. My God, how can you show so much allegiance to any man? It's God, then family, then self. Not Pac, then Pac, then Pac.
STEVENSKI
torvix2000
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 9 2010, 06:18 AM) *
Oh Torvix. Wake up my man. Vegas was agreed on by Pac as well. In fact, Manny said he woudln't fight anywhere else. My God, how can you show so much allegiance to any man? It's God, then family, then self. Not Pac, then Pac, then Pac.

LOL! Both Pac's and Gayweather's initial reactions to blood testing and Texas, respectively, were similar.
torvix2000
QUOTE (provo @ Jan 9 2010, 05:55 AM) *
Damn Pac just keeps looking Dumber and Dumber as the days go by! LOL...

But he's still smarter than his haters and the Gullible Floyd Defenders. LOL!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 8 2010, 11:43 PM) *

Teddy can be as shady as the next guy. A few years back he was taking easy bucks to train a chump who if I remember correctly had some interesting Italian connections. He then used to feed this guy absolute nobodies, I'm talking guys with 10 straight losses, the kind of guys whom he used to criticise on ESPN for being granted licences to fight.

Gee I wish I could remember the name of the guy he trained. But he basically fed this palooka, brain dead nobodies and happily banked the cheque.

Point is don't be sold on Teddy's honest man scthick. I'm sure he can be a nice guy, and he may be telling the truth here, but when it suits him the guy has got an agenda like the rest of them.
torvix2000
If Gayweather knows that xylocaine's use is banned in 49 other states, shouldn't he just not used it. If he really has his "principles" with him. Even if it is not outlawed in Nevada?

A convicted drug user - Floyd Sr.
A "convicted" PED user - Floyd Jr.

These convicts mingle with the gullible boxing fans who believe them. LOL!
King Eugene
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jan 9 2010, 03:00 AM) *
If Gayweather knows that xylocaine's use is banned in 49 other states, shouldn't he just not used it. If he really has his "principles" with him. Even if it is not outlawed in Nevada?

Byrd Man
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

torvix2000

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.