Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hatton return at Welterweight?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
By Mark Vester

According to a report in Daily Express, former two division champion Ricky Hatton will start training in February for a comeback at welterweight. Hatton spent nearly his entire career at junior welterweight. It appears Ricky sees a tough struggle to get back down to 140.

He dipped the waters at 147 in two fights. He moved up in 2006 to win the WBA title from Luis Collazo but then quickly moved back down to 140. He made one more jump to 147 to challenge Floyd Mayweather Jr. for the WBC title and was knocked out in ten rounds. Hatton is slated to return by the summer. Juan Manuel Marquez, who returns on May 1, is said to be the frontrunner opponent.
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24622

Not a good look for this fight at 147. Neither guy has looked good at this weight. I'd personally like to see Judah vs. Marquez or Hatton for that much but not both of them against each other at 147.
KookedKrack
After seeing him host Monday Night Raw I think it's going to be VERY hard to get him down to 147 either way its an easy W for Marquez.
Maxy
So this is taken from the Daily Express....notorious shit talkers....

Then again, I've been hearing this fight is in the making for some time now. I think the plan is for Ricky to notch a win so he can fight Khan, which would obviously mean Khan moving up as well.
Spreadking3rd
I read that Ricky Hatton wants a tune-up before fighting JMM, but JMM doesn't want to fight at 147.
golden boy said JMM would fight headlining his own show in May I think, no matter what Hatton does.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (Spreadking3rd @ Jan 11 2010, 11:33 AM) *
I read that Ricky Hatton wants a tune-up before fighting JMM, but JMM doesn't want to fight at 147.
golden boy said JMM would fight headlining his own show in May I think, no matter what Hatton does.

A tuneup fight taht would draw good numbers especially in the UK is Hatton vs Jr. Witter at welter in the UK....both fighters are past their hay days but it would still draw a crowd, and i think Hatton could win this one against a reputable opponent
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I would be impressed if Ricky can get to under 200 pounds let alone 147 laugh.gif

I'm fucking sick of Fatton he is more done than a pork sausage. Whomever it is you can bet they won't be any kind of power puncher.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 11 2010, 11:53 AM) *
Then again, I've been hearing this fight is in the making for some time now. I think the plan is for Ricky to notch a win so he can fight Khan, which would obviously mean Khan moving up as well.

Hatton ain't gonna get past Marquez...
Spreadking3rd
Hatton can make a weight, he's proved that over the years
no matter how fat and disgusting he's looked.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Spreadking3rd @ Jan 11 2010, 07:23 PM) *
Hatton can make a weight, he's proved that over the years
no matter how fat and disgusting he's looked.

Yeah but what does he take out of himself to get there? If you look at the guys who have and are currently dominating the sport over the last 10-15 years. Roy Jones, Hopkins, Pac, Mosley, PBF they all keep themselves in pretty decent shape between fights.

Coincidence I think not.

Keith
Hatton sucks. Marquez sucks at 147. They both suck just enough for this to be a great scrap.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 12 2010, 08:47 PM) *
Hatton sucks. Marquez sucks at 147. They both suck just enough for this to be a great scrap.

Keith you may be spot on the money here. They are both just shopworn and faded enough to make this a phonebooth classic.
kidbazooka1
Marquez has no business fighting at 147lb but i think the hatton people will want that to try and get every advantage. Still thought i see JMM stopping him in the middle rds.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 11 2010, 08:56 PM) *
Marquez will piss on Hatton's corpse.

WOW..!!.. hahaha...not really..I'LL go for JMM but its too much if we say "Marquez will piss on Hatton"s corpse"...
Maxy
It's been confirmed in the last hour or so that Ricky Hatton is definitely returning, sometime in the summer and he will box at LIGHT welterweight.

He's gonna have to lose a shed load of weight to make 140 again.....

Claims he will box either a world champion or a top 10 P4P fighter....hmmm...
lloyd mayflower
Personally i was a little concerned about his abilty to make 140 for Manny Quacquaio, certainly dont see it happeneing now.
King Eugene
Khan vs. Hatton will happen and before its over Khan vs. Mayweather/Bradley will happen.
Maxy
Hatton looks awful at the minute, worse than I've ever seen him. It'll kill him to make 140.

Worse than that though, he is claiming that Mayweather Snr over-trained him by 3 weeks for the Pac fight. He reckons this was a contributing factor in his annihilation.

Oh dear.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 15 2010, 06:21 PM) *
Hatton looks awful at the minute, worse than I've ever seen him. It'll kill him to make 140.

Worse than that though, he is claiming that Mayweather Snr over-trained him by 3 weeks for the Pac fight. He reckons this was a contributing factor in his annihilation.

Oh dear.

Yeah he must have trained Ricky so hard he was too tired to put his hands up in the ring laugh.gif

You can say what you want about Senior but he always brings his fighters in tip top shape, Ricky's probably still angry that he didn't share his taco and Sprite with him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.