Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Defamation Lawsuit - Who Else Should Sue or Be Sued?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
I was just bored and wondering...with all this news about Pacquiao and his defamation lawsuit, who else should be sued? Paulie Malignaggi and Kermit Cintron perhaps? Jeff Mayweather? Teddy Atlas and Tim Smith?

For that matter, how do you guys think it will play out and who else should be able to sue regarding defamation.

Chew on this old article by Michael David Smith about Tyson and Holyfield:

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2007/03/14/evan...-took-steroids/
Evander Holyfield Was Told Mike Tyson Used Steroids
3/14/2007 6:59 AM ET By Michael David Smith

Evander Holyfield was one of the athletes whose names appeared among the list of customers of a pharmacy that was busted for distributing performance-enhancing drugs. Now Holyfield admits to taking a drug from the pharmacy, but says it was for a "hormonal problem" and that he took it only briefly. And he says he never used steroids but was encouraged to do so in the 1980s and told Mike Tyson was doing it.

"Somebody high up in boxing mentioned to me that there was this other fighter who did steroids and I should too because it wasn't illegal in boxing yet," he said. "I said, 'I'm not going to do that. I ain't no cheater.' I was the undisputed cruiserweight champion and I was in the Olympics. If I started taking steroids, people would say, 'He cheated at everything.' But this guy told me, 'Well, [Mike] Tyson is doing it, you should, too. I said, 'I don't care if Tyson is doing it, I'm not.' "

Holyfield said he is not accusing Tyson of taking steroids; he was just relating the story. He also declined to say who addressed the subject with him, adding, "The person is still in boxing. People sue people. I don't need to get into that.

As I've said before, I've always been a Holyfield fan, but I don't think there's much doubt that Holyfield used steroids. The human body just doesn't change in adulthood the way Holyfield's changed from the time he was a cruiserweight to the time he was a heavyweight. Tyson's body looks like that of a steroid user, too, although Tyson was a freak of nature as a teenager, not a guy who kept getting bigger like Holyfield or Barry Bonds. I think Max Kellerman is probably about right in his estimate of how many heavyweights are using steroids.

If I were Tyson or Holyfield, I'd pay very close attention to Pacquiao's lawsuit...maybe there's some people they can sue for defamation.

laugh.gif
KookedKrack
Pontoon riders have Jewish lawyers (no 'cism) we are not worried.
gbh32001
For me it's enough to sue the father of this lies(Floyd Sr.) and his Family(Mayweathers team and GBP). When you stop the source basically all will stop too because like the father they don't have any evidence of steroid use.
torvix2000
Pacquiao has a recording of Floyd saying that "Philippines has the best PED's". Couple that with the singling out of Pacquiao and Floyd's got a chance to lose in court.

Ironically, I miss Floyd Sr's big mouth. LOL! The impending law suit effectively put a gag order on him.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jan 11 2010, 07:53 PM) *
Pacquiao has a recording of Floyd saying that "Philippines has the best PED's". Couple that with the singling out of Pacquiao and Floyd's got a chance to lose in court.

Ironically, I miss Floyd Sr's big mouth. LOL! The impending law suit effectively put a gag order on him.

Jesus Christ you even back the man in court?

Should Floyd be able to sue you for all the stuff you have said about him on here?
Spyder
Does anyone else think that Torvix is Buboy?

thehype
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jan 11 2010, 06:53 PM) *

I guess the burden of proof will be on Pacquiao to prove that the Philippines do NOT have the best PEDs.

laugh.gif

Or maybe he just has to prove that he said it with malicious intent.

laugh.gif

Ironically, Floyd Sr. will probably be talking again once Floyd's next move is solidified...regardless of any lawsuit.

D-MARV
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jan 11 2010, 07:41 PM) *
Does anyone else think that Torvix is Buboy?

I have thought that for a while now... LOL

By the way, has Floyd Jr. said or done anything to be sued over?
Provo209
I say Pacs a Bitch on here all the time,I better be careful before I get sued LOL!
Oh yeah here comes Another bitch move from Pac the 147 welterweight Champ to defend his 147 welterweight title at 144 LOL.
torvix2000
LOL!

Guilty until proven innocent when it comes to Pacquiao.

I guess the Mayweathers and GBP are by default guilty, too, of defamation according to your logic.
Spyder
thisneverworks
I don't think Manny's case is going to go anywhere and I think ultimately it will be more mud on the face of Manny.

Since all the parties that are being sued did not making the statements knowing they were false, Manny's lawyers will have to prove that they made the statements with "reckless disregard of whether it was false or not". So the defendants will just have to show that they did not have any reckless disregard of the truth of the statements, that they in fact have reason to believe, and here is why they believe what they said (remember, innocent until proven guilty). When you have others outside of those who are sued raising the same questions they obviously are not alone in their thoughts, and in watching Manny's weight and muscle gain through classes, and his trainers refusal to release what he is even giving Manny, I think it would be hard to prove the statements "reckless".

Just my opinion but I think the case is pretty frivolous and one which Manny will lose.
MarzB
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jan 12 2010, 02:42 AM) *
LOL!

I guess the Mayweathers and GBP are by default guilty, too, of defamation according to your logic.

I can't wait till this is thrown out of court then maybe your fingers can forever be silenced because you've said some of the dumbest, most illogical (the nerve of you actually using the word LOGIC) things here I've ever witnessed during this past month of negotiations.

I'm sure by then you'll manufacture some other poor excuses as you've demonstrated this time.

YOU HAVE ZERO CREDIBILITY here.
torvix2000
QUOTE (MarzB @ Jan 12 2010, 04:31 PM) *
I can't wait till this is thrown out of court then maybe your fingers can forever be silenced because you've said some of the dumbest, most illogical (the nerve of you actually using the word LOGIC) things here I've ever witnessed during this past month of negotiations.

I'm sure by then you'll manufacture some other poor excuses as you've demonstrated this time.

YOU HAVE ZERO CREDIBILITY here.

LOL!

jlupi
I think pac prob has a case as some of the mayweathers stated it as fact that he is taking steroids which would be flagrent disregard. The acusations could damage his political career. However, at some point this fight gets made if no one loses big. Then a condition will be the lawsuit being dropped
King Eugene
Manny Faquiao
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Jan 11 2010, 11:34 AM) *
For me it's enough to sue the father of this lies(Floyd Sr.) and his Family(Mayweathers team and GBP). When you stop the source basically all will stop too because like the father they don't have any evidence of steroid use.

I agree... Actually, the case against Mayweather Sr. is much stronger than those of the son and GBP...I mean Mayweather Sr cross the boundary of just airing a "mere opinion" and making a defamatory statements repeatedly without proof on the matter...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jan 12 2010, 02:00 PM) *
Manny Faquiao

I sincerely hope you didn't spend too much time making that up drinks.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Provo209 @ Jan 12 2010, 12:11 AM) *
I say Pacs a Bitch on here all the time,I better be careful before I get sued LOL!
Oh yeah here comes Another bitch move from Pac the 147 welterweight Champ to defend his 147 welterweight title at 144 LOL.

I'm assuming you have proof that it will be at catchweight?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.