Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jones-Hopkins 2
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
So I'm watching ESPN at 2:30 in the morning like usual, and see that Rafael is reporting that Jones and Hopkins have agreed to fight at lt. heavy and the fight may take place on April 17. I'm surprised this is happening, and wonder if it'll have the same appeal now that Jones has been stopped last month. I think it's time for Roy to retire, but he may still have a shot in this one.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Considering Roy's career in the past few years this really is a sham of a fight, though I will enjoy watching Hard Nard keeping a straight face as he attempts to sell this fight at the press conferences. He's gonna have to really out do himself in babble talk this time.

Roy too will talk his usual nonsensical junk. Oh how I wish there was a way to inject James Toney into these press conferences and just let them all go crazy laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 14 2010, 04:48 AM) *
Considering Roy's career in the past few years this really is a sham of a fight, though I will enjoy watching Hard Nard keeping a straight face as he attempts to sell this fight at the press conferences. He's gonna have to really out do himself in babble talk this time.

Roy too will talk his usual nonsensical junk. Oh how I wish there was a way to inject James Toney into these press conferences and just let them all go crazy laugh.gif

They should do back to back press conferences..First Hopkins/Roy then Toney/David Haye..hahaha..That'd be a PPV event alone..
Byrd Man
Two months after the long-anticipated Roy Jones Jr.-Bernard Hopkins rematch was left for dead following Jones' stunning first-round knockout loss in an interim bout, the fight was resurrected on Wednesday -- an early birthday present for the aging stars.

Hopkins, who will be 45 on Friday and still ranks among the best fighters in the world pound-for-pound, and Jones, who turns 41 on Saturday, signed contracts to meet in a scheduled 12-round light heavyweight fight on pay-per-view, representatives for both fighters told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

The fight likely will be April 17 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, Hopkins' promoter, said.

"We worked very hard to keep this fight alive and we got it signed on Wednesday," said John Wirt, the CEO of Square Ring, Jones' promotional company. "We're ecstatic that the fight was made and we're looking forward to a great event. There's been a long-standing rivalry between two of the preeminent boxers of our generation. This fight will establish once and for all who is the better fighter between Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr. This is the fight Roy always wanted."

Schaefer said he was in talks with HBO PPV about handling the event, adding that "there are different parties also interested in the fight." HBO's spring pay-per-view schedule is unclear with deals still possible for it to carry fights involving Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

After numerous failed attempts to make a rematch over the past decade, Jones and Hopkins finally came to terms in September to meet again. However, Jones had already signed for a fight on Dec. 2 in Australia against Danny Green.

Jones, who was due $4 million to fight Green, didn't want to withdraw from the fight, so he faced Green and Hopkins took a tuneup fight on the same day in his hometown of Philadelphia. While Hopkins, who ended a 14-month layoff, cruised to a lopsided unanimous decision against Enrique Ornelas, Jones was shockingly knocked out in the first round by Green.

The deal between Hopkins (50-5-1, 32 KOs) and Jones (54-6, 40 KOs) was contingent upon both men winning their December bouts, so when Jones lost, it appeared they would not fight, although Hopkins continually mentioned Jones as still being a viable opponent and tried to play up the loss to Green as a quick stoppage.

Hopkins explored a fight with Green, but those talks went nowhere, and he had few other notable options. And Jones, who is protesting the loss to Green over a dispute related to the amount of gauze Green used in his hand wraps, still wanted to face Hopkins.

"The interesting thing is the conversations never died down," Schaefer said. "Even after Bernard won and Roy lost, the talks continued and different options were evaluated. But I just felt from talking to Bernard and from the conversations I had with John that they really wanted to fight each other.

"I think there is so much at stake for these guys. This is an event they have been waiting for for 17 years. They would not let anything get in the way of getting this fight finally done. I believe very strongly that at this point in their careers, after everything they have accomplished, I think this is a well-deserved fight for these two guys to finally get it on April 17. Love 'em or hate em, they are two of the most recognized names in the sport of boxing."

In several previous negotiations, Jones and Hopkins had always been hung up on the revenue split. Under the deal they agreed to in September, the split of the money was to be 50-50, but with a knockout provision. If the fight was decided by a knockout, the winner would get 60 percent with the loser getting 40 percent.

Although terms of the new deal were not disclosed, Wirt said that Jones agreed to "a modification" of the original deal with Jones' percentage potentially increasing depending on how the pay-per-view performed.

The knockout provision, however, is still in the new deal.

"The only thing I can say about the structure of the deal is that there is still a substantial financial benefit to the guy who wins by knockout," Schaefer said.

Before either man became a star, they met for a vacant middleweight title on May 22, 1993. Jones won a clear unanimous decision and would go on to dominate boxing, reigning as the pound-for-for king for about a decade while winning titles in four weight classes from middleweight to heavyweight.

After Jones left the middleweight division, Hopkins claimed the vacant title and went on to make a division-record 20 defenses, including becoming the undisputed champion in 2001. After Hopkins lost the middleweight title to Jermain Taylor in 2005, he moved up in weight and upset Antonio Tarver to win the light heavyweight championship in 2006.

Even though Jones lost his last fight, Schaefer said people would be foolish to write him off.

"Those who write Roy Jones off are making a mistake because he will come in motivated more than ever because this is a personal showdown between these guys," Schaefer said. "They were waiting a long time for this fight and here it is. Bernard, at this point in his career, keeps on defying mother time. For Bernard, after all the accomplishments, for him to get up for a fight, he also needs that personal motivation, and he will have it against Roy Jones.

"Those two guys, after all the talking and the build up, and the ups and downs and the cheers and disappointments, finally, they are going to meet again. Bernard won't be judging Roy on his last performance. He knows that would be a big mistake. I think they will both come at their best because of how important this is to both of them."
JonnyBlaze
Byrd man,reading your post makes me feel like I'm listening to a commentator on HBO..Did you copy/paste that or did you write it??hahaha..
Spyder
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 14 2010, 04:42 AM) *
I hope this fight doesn't come off. This is a lose-lose situation for Nard.

You're hoping the fight doesn't come off for Nard?
D-MARV
UGH... Hang em up Roy.
blackbelt2003
Regardless of how shitty Jones looked, this is still a tough fight for Nard.

Jones gets blasted out by big hitters, but Bernard is not a big hitter, certainly not at light-heavy.

And if you had to work out the anti-style for Hopkins, it would be a fast, cautious, boxer type, and however shot Jones' chin is, he is still fast, still cautious and can still box.

I think Jones gives Hopkins problems, but Hopkins squeaks through with a decision, or maybe even stops him late, but it's no walk in the park. Jones may even upset the odds.

Black
Byrd Man
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jan 14 2010, 01:07 AM) *
Byrd man,reading your post makes me feel like I'm listening to a commentator on HBO..Did you copy/paste that or did you write it??hahaha..

lol. C/p from ESPN
Maxy
I agree with Black.

Jones is shot to shit but style wise he can still give Hopkins a lot of problems. Hopkins' punch output isn't anything great and his power isn't bone shattering. I don't care for this fight but if it comes off I think most people will be interested to see how it plays out.
Spyder
It's a good payday for both guys as they near the end of their careers.

I'd say the loser probably fights one more time and retires.
D-MARV
I 100% agree with the notion of Roy being competitive with Bernard. If Hopkins is happy with his legacy and doesn't care to add on to it then fine. But I would much rather see Hopkins in there with Dawson, Adamek, or even Haye... I would imagine that Hopkins Vs Cunningham in Philly would do huge numbers
salvador
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 14 2010, 05:42 AM) *
This is a lose-lose situation for Nard.

What on earth are you talking about? Hopkins is going to get a great big paycheck and he doesn't have to fight Dawson to get it. It's like a dream come true for Bernard.
jlupi
he is still fast, still cautious and can still box.
>>>>

his hands are fast but he gets hit now and has no legs.

hopkins will back him to the ropes and bust him up. bnecause at this point jones has no way to escape after the first 2 rds
streetlion1
I dont really see Jones being a threat to Hopkins. What will happen is we will get a couple exciting rounds at the beginning and then Roy will get on his bike and make B-Hop chase him around the ring. I got a feeling there will be alot of moments of inactivity in this fight and alot of booing going on. In B-Hops last couple fights he has turned up the juice in the last half of the fight....once that happens against Jones...Jones will just get K.Oed again. They are both past it but Roy is the one who is shot and Bernard will make hiom look like it!
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Jan 14 2010, 11:33 AM) *
I dont really see Jones being a threat to Hopkins. What will happen is we will get a couple exciting rounds at the beginning and then Roy will get on his bike and make B-Hop chase him around the ring. I got a feeling there will be alot of moments of inactivity in this fight and alot of booing going on. In B-Hops last couple fights he has turned up the juice in the last half of the fight....once that happens against Jones...Jones will just get K.Oed again. They are both past it but Roy is the one who is shot and Bernard will make hiom look like it!

+1

Hop will KO Roy.
Mean Mister Mustard
I think Hopkins is going to try to make it a rough and sloppy fight. Their first encounter almost 20 years ago was decided by the hand and foot speed of Jones. This time, even though Jones still has handspeed, his legs are not what they used to be and that will play right in Hopkins hands.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I still see jones beating hopkins. His speed is still there and I think he'll be busier than Hopkins in those earlier rounds. He's going to steal rounds and it will be hard to argue why Hopkins should win rounds if he doesn't let his hands go. Hopkins may turn up the heat, but I don't see Jones fading down the strech. I guess I have a different opinion, but I see Jones taking a fairly comfortable decison. Hopkins is 45 years old, and didn't look all that hot against Ornelas. Jones is a lot better than him, even at this stage. His speed will give Hopkins a lot of problems.
HaydelHammer
Tell me this is a RUMOR?

This is just as bad as when Frankie Randell and Julio Ceaser Chavez last fight when they had to be wheel chaired to the ring.
Nay_Sayer
How soon people forget that a blown-up shot Felix Trinidad was *winning rounds* against Roy.

Hopkins puts the final nail in the coffin of Jones' career...
salvador
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jan 14 2010, 03:39 PM) *
How soon people forget that a blown-up shot Felix Trinidad was *winning rounds* against Roy.

Hopkins puts the final nail in the coffin of Jones' career...

Forget Tito, just look back a couple months ago to Green. Green tapped him on the ear and it was over. Roy is completely shot and somebody around him should protect him from himself because it's dangerous/pitiful for him to be getting in the ring at this point.

The Original MrFactor
I wonder what the money split is?
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jan 14 2010, 02:38 PM) *
I still see jones beating hopkins. His speed is still there and I think he'll be busier than Hopkins in those earlier rounds. He's going to steal rounds and it will be hard to argue why Hopkins should win rounds if he doesn't let his hands go. Hopkins may turn up the heat, but I don't see Jones fading down the strech. I guess I have a different opinion, but I see Jones taking a fairly comfortable decison. Hopkins is 45 years old, and didn't look all that hot against Ornelas. Jones is a lot better than him, even at this stage. His speed will give Hopkins a lot of problems.

I have the same feeling as you. I think Hopkins is just too slow and not active enough to win this one. If Jones wins a fairly close fight, will there be a trilogy? Actually, I'd like to see Hopkins/TONEY before its over for them both...
D-MARV
I would laugh my ass off if Roy won this fight.

Im certain Hopkins is getting the bigger share and he should be.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 14 2010, 02:51 PM) *
I wonder what the money split is?

50/50

60/40 to the winner by KO/TKO
Keith
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Jan 14 2010, 04:20 PM) *
I would laugh my ass off if Roy won this fight.

I think he will. Bernard is still a good fighter but he is overrated. IMO he hasnt beaten a top guy in his own weight class.

Jones is shot but he was beaten by a bigger man in Green. And as other have said, his style is something Bernard will have problems with.
PR316
Its lose lose for Hopkins because if he wins, he won't get alot of credit for being a shot fighter, and if he loses, then he's lost to a guy who was KOd in the 1st round of his last fight.

Hopkins via competitive UD is the pick because of the styles. B-Hop doesn't put alot of pressure on his opponents and as a result it'll be very much a chess match. I don't see Hopkins KOing Jones because he himself hasn't had a KO since the De La Hoya fight I believe. He hasn't shown that powe in a long time and he hasn't gotten any younger or stronger.
pcraw
Just terrible and we are the true losers in this fight...the fans!
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 14 2010, 07:21 PM) *
I personally don't find Hopkins overrated. He shut out Tarver who was bigger than him, and then fought Winky, Pavlik and Calzaghe. It's not as if Hopkins was much bigger than these guys anyways. Less that 3 fights ago, Hopkins was campaigning at the same division these guys were and it wasn't like Hopkins wasn't making or struggling to make 160 anyways, and Calzaghe was fighting above Hopkins than a few years ago. Hopkins only skipped a weight class, and had maybe 3 fights since moving up. Plus Pavlik fought Taylor in a rematch at 166, only 4 lbs less than when he fought Hopkins.
Maybe not everyone he beat were established 175 fighters, but they were not small fighters either. Most of them were in the same position Hopkins was in.

I can agree with your points... but find it odd that he would rather fight guys moving up (wright, pavlik, calzage) or an old ass roy jones then get in the ring with Chad Dawson. I hate to put any astericks on his record but he seems to be picking his fights to make himself look good the past few years.

Tarver was not a great fighter but it was an impressive win. He was the champ and the bigger man but that was 3 1/2 years ago.

Since then he has fought Winky moving up from 54, Calzage moving up from 68, and Pavlik moving up from 60. Thats 3 fights in a row where he had fighters moving up to fight him. Lets keep it fair here, we are constantly shitting on Floyd for doing this same sort of thing. Now he wants to fight a guy who was just ko'd in 122 seconds. And all the while Chad Dawson is calling him out.

If you look around, Hopkins is in every p4p list top 10 if not top 5 and he is ducking his hardest fight. I think he knows Dawson would beat his ass. He's overrated. Still good but overrated.

Do you think Dawson can beat Hopkins? If Hopkins is a top 5 pfp fighter and Dawson can beat him... then that would either mean Hopkins is overated or Dawson is a top 3 pfp fighter.
Jack 1000
After Green killed Roy, it should have killed this fight. It didn't. Very few care now.

Jack
Keith
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jan 14 2010, 09:14 PM) *
After Green killed Roy, it should have killed this fight. It didn't. Very few care now.

Jack

Do you think this is the last fight for both? I think so... win or lose there is no where else to go except fighting younger guys who can make them look really old.
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 14 2010, 09:12 PM) *
there hasn't been a huge list of great 175 fighters.

This is certainly true, a very good point.
darroy
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 14 2010, 08:54 PM) *
I can agree with your points... but find it odd that he would rather fight guys moving up (wright, pavlik, calzage) or an old ass roy jones then get in the ring with Chad Dawson. I hate to put any astericks on his record but he seems to be picking his fights to make himself look good the past few years.

Tarver was not a great fighter but it was an impressive win. He was the champ and the bigger man but that was 3 1/2 years ago.

Since then he has fought Winky moving up from 54, Calzage moving up from 68, and Pavlik moving up from 60. Thats 3 fights in a row where he had fighters moving up to fight him. Lets keep it fair here, we are constantly shitting on Floyd for doing this same sort of thing. Now he wants to fight a guy who was just ko'd in 122 seconds. And all the while Chad Dawson is calling him out.

If you look around, Hopkins is in every p4p list top 10 if not top 5 and he is ducking his hardest fight. I think he knows Dawson would beat his ass. He's overrated. Still good but overrated.

Do you think Dawson can beat Hopkins? If Hopkins is a top 5 pfp fighter and Dawson can beat him... then that would either mean Hopkins is overated or Dawson is a top 3 pfp fighter.

i agree with you! if bhop wants to challenge himself and add to his great legacy dawson should be the opponent not an old washed roy jones jr bernard just wants to take make a payday with and take advantage of. can't wait to see the lousy numbers this ppv puts up!
salvador
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 14 2010, 05:40 PM) *
Well I'm not sure what the pay check would be, I'm not sure if much money would be involved in that fight after seeing Jones stopped in 1 round. Maybe the demand won't be as high. Jones made about $5-$6million with Green, and the purse split was 50-50.
Danny Green wants Hopkins and is happy to make it 60-40 in favour of Hopkins and here in Australia, you would think Hopkins would make at least what Jones made and possibly more with the 60%. I would prefer Hopkins fight Green than Jones, he would get more credit for that win, and I think the pay check would probably be just as satisfying against Green.

Hopkins is way into middle age. He's about the money. If he wasn't he'd be fighting Dawson. Hopkins is looking for the easiest fight for the biggest money - Jones. This is the kind of fight Hopkins has been waiting for his whole career.

The only reason Green (a B level fighter who's biggest claim to fame is being the white guy who beat a totally shot Jones) is in the conversation is because Jones is living in a fantasy universe where his chin isn't completely crushed. Green would have no chance against Dawson and so to put Green in the conversation before Dawson would be unfair in that it would be ignoring the fact that Dawson is clearly next in line.

At this point Hopkins has "avoided" Dawson long enough for it to be clear that he's ducking the younger, hungrier, more active and combination throwing Dawson. There's nothing wrong with that, Hopkins is old and has earned the right. But ducking is ducking, and Bernard is ducking Dawson.

D-MARV
Can we finally take Hopkins off the P4P ratings?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 15 2010, 03:22 AM) *
The only reason Green (a B level fighter who's biggest claim to fame is being the white guy who beat a totally shot Jones) is in the conversation is because Jones is living in a fantasy universe where his chin isn't completely crushed. Green would have no chance against Dawson and so to put Green in the conversation before Dawson would be unfair in that it would be ignoring the fact that Dawson is clearly next in line.

Yes yes yes. Except the fact that Green got Jones out of there in 1 round which had never been done before & unless Hopkins possibly wanted a cruiserweight title (however paper it is) You would be right.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 14 2010, 10:22 PM) *
At this point Hopkins has "avoided" Dawson long enough for it to be clear that he's ducking the younger, hungrier, more active and combination throwing Dawson. There's nothing wrong with that, Hopkins is old and has earned the right. But ducking is ducking, and Bernard is ducking Dawson.

That's the truth.

Roy's like the hot girl in high school that always teased Bernard. Now she's just a crusty old strumpet but he can't turn down the revenge fuck.

This fight today is useless.
Warlord
Style-wise Roy has the advantage, but with no chin and a lot of miles on him, I think he's gonna find himself in a lot of trouble if Hopkins doesn't get old overnight.

It's a toss-up imo, but the smart money HAS to be on Hopkins at this point. Hopkins don't have one-punch KO power at light heavy, but that's not good news for Roy. It just means Roy is gonna get hurt, punished, and brutalized for an excruciating amount of time. He might even take enough damage to satiate Stevenski's legendary appetite.
Warlord
Forgot to mention... Hopkins isn't ducking Chad Dawson. There's just no money in it.

Reminds me of a chapter in Tarzan of the Apes when some schmuck, seeing Tarzan in a suit and not knowing his savage history, dares him to hunt a lion in the wild, naked and alone, except for a small dagger in his hand.

Tarzan just smiles and responds, "I'm not hungry."

Some people will get that analogy, and some won't. Those who don't, don't worry. It wasn't meant for you anyway.
kingknockout
roy is about to get his _____ beat lol.

ima watch it just for that.....the return.
kingknockout
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jan 15 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Forgot to mention... Hopkins isn't ducking Chad Dawson. There's just no money in it.

Reminds me of a chapter in Tarzan of the Apes when some schmuck, seeing Tarzan in a suit and not knowing his savage history, dares him to hunt a lion in the wild, naked and alone, except for a small dagger in his hand.

Tarzan just smiles and responds, "I'm not hungry."

Some people will get that analogy, and some won't. Those who don't, don't worry. It wasn't meant for you anyway.

sounds like when another fighter says this ppl throw stones.
kingknockout
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jan 15 2010, 12:19 AM) *
Style-wise Roy has the advantage, but with no chin and a lot of miles on him, I think he's gonna find himself in a lot of trouble if Hopkins doesn't get old overnight.

It's a toss-up imo,
but the smart money HAS to be on Hopkins at this point. Hopkins don't have one-punch KO power at light heavy, but that's not good news for Roy. It just means Roy is gonna get hurt, punished, and brutalized for an excruciating amount of time. He might even take enough damage to satiate Stevenski's legendary appetite.

are you serious? LMFAO.....a toss-up? a toss-up? this aint a basketball tip off....have you seen bernard's last fight?
Warlord
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Jan 15 2010, 01:48 AM) *
are you serious? LMFAO.....a toss-up? a toss-up? this aint a basketball tip off....have you seen bernard's last fight?

I'll respond to your posts as soon as I figure out exactly what it is you're trying to say, Mr. Knockout.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Jan 15 2010, 01:46 AM) *
sounds like when another fighter says this ppl throw stones.

Are you referring to PBF?

Coz if you are the difference is Bernard has the resume (especially since age 40) to back up this analogy.

Floyd on the other hand?

Well let's just say one Tarzan hunts apes while the other Tarzan hunts chimps..................
mexi-cutioner
I don't know about everyone else....but i'm kinda pumped for this fight.....

I think Roy can win this one imo, BHop looked like shit vs Ornelas in his last fight
...but then again Roy DID get embarrassed and knocked out 2 minutes into the fight.........

Y'ALL MUST'VE FORGOT!! spiteful.gif
D-MARV
Any fight where Hopkins will be the agressor throughout is not a good thing.
MarzB
Hopkins overrated, I've heard it all

For some reason Tarver gets a lot of schit here. Tarver beat Jones two arguably three times. He beat Glen Johnson (I thought he also won the first fight but the judges liked Glen's activity better so be it), Reggie Johnson, Montel Griffin. Those guys are all DAMN good fighters. He beat four former world champions (not mere belt holders). Not to mention the current Light Heavyweight king Chad Dawson couldn't erase a 40 year old past his prime dude that he had a decided speed advantage over.

He accomplished that by having less than 30 fights which is pretty amazing. If Tarver is/was such a slug why was he a 3-1 fav against Hopkins and that was easily one of Hopkins BEST wins??

Fine you don't like him personally (but I doubt you even know him to make that assessment) but I can't stand when people try to minimize others based on opinions outside of what they've done in the ring.
King Eugene
I for one am absolutely thrilled about this fight being that Jones and Hopkins are my favorites of all time. As soon as the ticket info comes out I will try my damndest to get to this fight. Does it make since and have any relevance at this point? No, but frankly I dont give a shit. I get to witness history.
JD
This fight is useless at this point. If HBO tries to sell this as a PPV, they are going to lose big time...and I am a huge Hopkins guy.
MarzB
The fight is past it's time, we'll complain but most of us will in the end definitely watch it. Preferably I would have wished for Hopkins to fight Toney but so be it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.