Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik vs. Martinez set for April
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
thehype
PAVLIK VS. MARTINEZ SET FOR APRIL

Sources close to the information have just informed us that undisputed middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik and jr. middleweight champion Sergio Martinez have agreed to terms for an April showdown. The bout is scheduled to take place at the middleweight limit of 160 pounds. The deal is expected to be finalized and officially announced by promoters Bob Arum and Lou DiBella in the coming days.

Who you got?

Fitz
Nice.

I got Martinez in this one.
BigG
Very good fight...I think Martinez is the better boxer and will outbox Pavlik...but I think he might fade and get hurt late but do enough to get a CLOSE decision....
Spyder
I predict that Kelly will contract some sort of venereal disease and be forced to postpone the fight until Martinez ultimately moves on to rematch Williams.
salvador
Arum was too clever here by half. I'm sure Pavlik will make more money with Martinez because Martinez will be so much cheaper than Williams, but Williams is an easier fight for Pavlik because Williams will be there for Pavlik's right hand all night long - Martinez won't be. Pavlik's greatest weakness is his footwork and Martinez is fast as hell - almost to the point that we could see a replay of Hopkins-Pavlik with Martinez dodging Pavlik's jab, getting inside, landing two shots and getting out quickly.

Williams was a bigger name, bigger fight, and a more exciting fight for the fans and would have boosted/resurrected Pavlik's status with a win. Martinez is basically still unknown and will be a trickier fight for Pavlik with very little upside if Pavlik wins an ugly decision. I hope the extra few hundred thousand dollars was worth it for Pavlik's sake.
Keith
Close fight. Pavlik by UD. Martinez looked pretty good against Cintron, and at first glance Cintron seems similar to Pavlik. But Pavlik is better in every way then Cintron.
JD
I like Pavlik's chances against Williams better than Martinez.

PWill can't get out of the way of a right hand, and Pavlik will land his...and in turn, hurt Williams. Martinez is going to make Pavlik look slow and ordinary...his best bet it to tire Sergio out late with constant pressure.
The CEO
QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 16 2010, 01:30 AM) *
Who you got?

Both of them.

yes2.gif

It all came to fruition....this matchup officially makes INSANITY INCORPORATED the most Dominant Squad in The FH Fantasy League.

As far as a bout between the two...I have to go with Pavlik...probably by TKO9.

I said before Martinez' fight with Williams that his only problem was that he was gettin' old...well, I think that fight took a lot out of him...he had to reach for a 3rd, 4th wind that night....so I figure he's got 4 things workin' against him....

1. His age is showing.

2. It's at 160.

3. Pavlik's body/power shots sapping him of his energy.

4. Politics.
JLUVBABY
i gotta go with martinez on this one... skill level is higher but... if pavlik find range with those long 1-2s he throws he might can get martiinez out of there...
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jan 17 2010, 02:46 AM) *
It all came to fruition....this matchup officially makes INSANITY INCORPORATED the most Dominant Squad in The FH Fantasy League.

I think it's more to do with bad management. That's like a promoter making two fights that are PPV worthy on their own, and putting it on one card. laugh.gif
D-MARV
Martinez SD... just because Pavlik is a bitch.
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 16 2010, 11:44 AM) *
I think it's more to do with bad management. That's like a promoter making two fights that are PPV worthy on their own, and putting it on one card. laugh.gif

lol...you know it's a Point Piler.

Rivado might be able to make it a contest with me if May-Pac comes off....

QUOTE (StyleZ @ Jan 16 2010, 11:49 AM) *
Martinez SD... just because Pavlik is a bitch.

That's not how you pick fights, StyleZ...lol....I appreciate Martinez more than Pavlik...he was one of my underrated dogs WELL before the Cintron fight...but I'm afraid he's gonna get roughed up here...
D-MARV
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jan 16 2010, 12:07 PM) *
lol...you know it's a Point Piler.

Rivado might be able to make it a contest with me if May-Pac comes off....

That's not how you pick fights, StyleZ...lol....I appreciate Martinez more than Pavlik...he was one of my underrated dogs WELL before the Cintron fight...but I'm afraid he's gonna get roughed up here...

LOL... I know that. It's gonna be a tought fight for both fighters involved...

Off the top of my head, I can't recall Pavlik fighting a southpaw. Especially a slick southpaw with good movement. I see Martinez showing Pavlik a lot of movement and not allowing Pavlik to get set. The problem is though, Martinez has some fight in him which will benefit Pavlik. There will be times when Martinez will sit and trade shots which will favor the bigger, stronger Pavlik. I do, however, think Martinez's toughness and strong chin will see him through those tough times. Martinez pulls out a clear a decision which will probably split in controversial fashion.
tymoney
As long as martinez finish da fight on his feet.. he should win an easy decision. Hes way too slick for pavlik and hes quick on his feet. The only problem is in the later rounds will he tire out like he did when he fought pwill.. cuz if he do he might get knocked out.
The Original MrFactor
I think we'll find out why Pavlik was afraid of the punisher. I'm picking Martinez by decision. How is KP gonna react to a slick southpaw that will be nailing him when he makes mistakes...
Douchebag
The lateral movement is going to have Kelly like unsure.gif
PR316
Martinez via UD. Southpaw, better boxer, with good lateral movement.

Bad fight for Pavlik.
Jack 1000
Tough fight for both. Pavlik HAS to win this to stay a top fighter and I think he will. On a close but UD 116-112 and 115-113 twice. Could be a war!

Jack
d843
QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 16 2010, 01:30 AM) *
Who you got?
THE GHOST SHOULD TAKE EM
darroy
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jan 16 2010, 04:41 PM) *
Martinez via UD. Southpaw, better boxer, with good lateral movement.

Bad fight for Pavlik.

agreed!!! on top of those three qualities sergio has he's also A LOT quicker than pavlik which i think is the biggest factor.
kidbazooka1
Martinez will box Pavliks ears off.
King Eugene
I was watching a replay of Kirkland vs. Julio and it reminded me of the talks of Kirkland vs. Williams. After seeing Williams and Martinez what do people think about that match up if it where to ever happen now(assuming Kirkland returns to boxing)?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jan 18 2010, 02:08 AM) *
Martinez will box Pavliks ears off.

True.

But Pavlik will still end up knocking him out somewhere between 5 and 10.

Pavlik seems like the current Rodney Dangerfield of boxing.
Keith
Pavlik ko's Martinez. I think Martinez left some of himself in the ring against PWill.

Sergio's athleticism and movement will give Pavlik some problems but....

Martinez is not Bernard Hopkins at 170. Pavlik eventually imposes his size and punching power on Martinez.

People want to act like getting schooled by Hopkins at 170 is a career ender for Pavlik. Sure, some movement can give Pavlik some problems but it wasnt as though Jermain Taylor was a walking stiff who just stood in front of Pavlik for 2 fights.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Keith @ Feb 7 2010, 02:49 PM) *
Pavlik ko's Martinez. I think Martinez left some of himself in the ring against PWill.

Sergio's athleticism and movement will give Pavlik some problems but....

Martinez is not Bernard Hopkins at 170. Pavlik eventually imposes his size and punching power on Martinez.

People want to act like getting schooled by Hopkins at 170 is a career ender for Pavlik. Sure, some movement can give Pavlik some problems but it wasnt as though Jermain Taylor was a walking stiff who just stood in front of Pavlik for 2 fights.

JT never moved as well as Sergio does AND JT was never as smart a boxer as Sergio is.
Keith
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 7 2010, 03:27 PM) *
JT never moved as well as Sergio does AND JT was never as smart a boxer as Sergio is.

JT shouldnt "move" as well as Sergio, JT is a significantly bigger dude.

The point was JT wasnt a statue that stood right in front of Pavlik.

You could use the same analogy about Sergio...

Sergio wasnt as big as Hopkins and Sergio was never as smart as Hopkins.
D-MARV
The one thing Pavlik has going for him is that Martinez was just in an all out WAR! That CAN be Sergio's downfall... I hope not!

Martinez Via SD
KookedKrack
I like Martinez in this.......... word on the e-streets is that Pavlik's been partying hard. secret.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Feb 8 2010, 11:18 AM) *
I like Martinez in this.......... word on the e-streets is that Pavlik's been partying hard. secret.gif

Probably drinking some cheap ass bourbon and cola mix as well.
D-MARV
I have heard those rumors before... Does he pack on the pounds in between fights?

This is kind of off topic but I heard the Santos weighed 215 lbs before in training for the Yuri Foreman fight.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Keith @ Feb 7 2010, 03:36 PM) *
JT shouldnt "move" as well as Sergio, JT is a significantly bigger dude.

The point was JT wasnt a statue that stood right in front of Pavlik.

You could use the same analogy about Sergio...

Sergio wasnt as big as Hopkins and Sergio was never as smart as Hopkins.

He(Taylor) really didn't move that much in the first fight and got KOed. In the second fight he gassed and stopped moving and lost a decision. Sergio won't gas and his ring IQ is alot closer to Bernards than Taylor's is, on top of that he is lefty. How many lefty's has Pavlik face in his career???????
Keith
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 8 2010, 07:54 AM) *
How many lefty's has Pavlik face in his career???????

Thats a good point.

I cant really offer an opinion on how that might affect him.

I do think Pavlik wins this fight easily. I'm just not in the crowd that believes the world is falling down around Pavlik because he lost to Hopkins at 170.

Martinez is an average sized 154 and Pavlik is a big 160. He is talented but I'm not convinced he can move and simply outbox Pavlik enroute to victory.

PR316
^^^^Pavlik was never that good.

He's slow and predictable with his jab, jab, right hand combo.

Martinez is going to light him up with that counter right hook over that jab, and he'll land the straight left when Pavlik over commits with the right hand.

I think its gonna be easy. Martinez will move around, frustrate Pavlik with the jab, making Kelly get out of position.

Martinez may fade a bit late and that will allow Pavlik to win some rounds but it won't be enough.

Sergio is just a better fighter, period.
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 8 2010, 06:38 PM) *
Agreed. Pavlik is really ordinary and I agree with his predictability. He doesn't have a wide variety in his arsenal and like you said, he just jabs, jabs and right and then rinse and repeat. He has slow hands, and not only slow on his feet he is flat footed as well. He is pretty ordinary, I haven't seen much of Martinez but from what I saw in the Williams fight, he should handle Pavlik.

I think Cintron and Pavlik are pretty close in terms of style(jab, straight right). Martinez handled Cintron who was an average to above average welter moved up.

You wouldnt give Pavlik, who's only loss is to Hopkins at 170, any better of a chance then Cintron? Just in terms of size alone, I think he pushes Martinez much harder.
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 8 2010, 10:14 PM) *
Haven't seen the Cintron-Martinez fight, but you make a good point. Though boxing is funny, looking at Mosley-Mayorga, you could have assumed that Mosley would have struggled more with Margarito.
I also am not overly familiar with Cintron, only seen his fights with Margarito and maybe another 3 on top of that, so it's hard for me to rationalise that but just on what I saw from Martinez-Williams, I think Martinez will beat Pavlik.

My problem with Martinez is he hasnt really beaten anybody. Dont get me wrong, I think he is talented. He clearly should have gotten the decision against Cintron but thats a fight he should have won. Cintron is a very shaky fighter and Martinez was the bigger man, he beat him but it wasnt overly impressive. He had a shot against PWill and came up short, and I have the same questions about PWill so that did nothing for me. It was a great fight but it was between 2 fighters both fighting above the division there suppossed to be in.
MarzB
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Feb 7 2010, 08:27 PM) *
I have heard those rumors before... Does he pack on the pounds in between fights?

This is kind of off topic but I heard the Santos weighed 215 lbs before in training for the Yuri Foreman fight.

That could explain that absolutely piss poor performance of his.

I like Sergio in this one. I respect Pavlik for taking this because he's trying to send a message to Williams. Too bad it'll be done in vain when he loses. Pavlik will have a hard time with Sergio's fast hands and slickness. The only thing he can hope for is to land a big right.

The minute Martinez puts his hands down (3rd round I suspect) the fight is over.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Keith @ Feb 8 2010, 09:49 PM) *
I think Cintron and Pavlik are pretty close in terms of style(jab, straight right). Martinez handled Cintron who was an average to above average welter moved up.

You wouldnt give Pavlik, who's only loss is to Hopkins at 170, any better of a chance then Cintron? Just in terms of size alone, I think he pushes Martinez much harder.

Cintron is faster, and has better feet than Pavlik. Pavlik is a clumsy oath and will be tripping over his own feet when he fights Sergio.
MarzB
I couldn't agree more.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 9 2010, 07:53 AM) *
I don't respect him with this. He could have sent Williams a message directly, except he is trying to use a messenger.

Exactly. Why send a message? Just fucking fight the man like you were originally supposed to.
MarzB
I'm not in the man's head. Could it be that paul went back down to the lower weight class and Martinez was available?

If you guys truly want to probe, why is this FIGHT happening instead of a rematch between Williams vs. Martinez. I understand for some Paul is the "untouchable" but we've seen multiple times where Paul has not only been outboxed at certain points but arguably beaten twice. He's not the juggernaut some make him out to be.

I agree what Pavlik did with that entire Paul fight fiasco was bullschit and fighting whats his name? Espino was a total crock. But hey, this is boxing. So is it really that surprising.

I think for what it's worth its a good matchup but I'm taking Martinez ALL THE WAY.
Snoop
QUOTE (MarzB @ Feb 9 2010, 04:56 PM) *
I'm not in the man's head. Could it be that paul went back down to the lower weight class and Martinez was available?

If you guys truly want to probe, why is this FIGHT happening instead of a rematch between Williams vs. Martinez. I understand for some Paul is the "untouchable" but we've seen multiple times where Paul has not only been outboxed at certain points but arguably beaten twice. He's not the juggernaut some make him out to be.

I agree what Pavlik did with that entire Paul fight fiasco was bullschit and fighting whats his name? Espino was a total crock. But hey, this is boxing. So is it really that surprising.

I think for what it's worth its a good matchup but I'm taking Martinez ALL THE WAY.

When did Paul go back to a lower weight class? From what I remember his last fight was in the same division as Pavlik's.
MarzB
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=25046
Snoop
QUOTE (MarzB @ Feb 9 2010, 07:55 PM) *

Fair enough. But I still think Williams would opt for a fight with Pavlik at 160 over Cintron. It's not like 160 has ever been an issue for him.
MarzB
I'm of the "opinion" Snoop that making weight isn't an issue but it's the impact of his punches that may be. I personally don't think for him health wise it's good to do all this weight jumping either.
Snoop
QUOTE (MarzB @ Feb 9 2010, 09:15 PM) *
I'm of the "opinion" Snoop that making weight isn't an issue but it's the impact of his punches that may be. I personally don't think for him health wise it's good to do all this weight jumping either.

Are you saying Williams is the one that's concerned of Pavlik? Let's not forget who pulled out of a fight with who last time around.

I never really believed the whole "147-160" talk in the first place, but I don't see Williams would have a problem at 154. He never really filled out at 160, but was huge at 147. 154 seems like home for him.
King Eugene
The Cintron fight was BS. That should have been a 7th(I believe) round stoppage. Cintron cried his way back into the fight.

I got Martinez. I think he is smart enough to know when to trade and when to get the hell out of there against Pavlik. He did a real good job darting in, countering, and getting out against Williams who threw multiple punches. He should be Pavlik fairly easy.

With that being said he and Williams can rematch for the 160lb crown afterwards.
Big Slim Sweet
Pavlik > Cintron

Not close.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Feb 10 2010, 07:37 PM) *
Pavlik > Cintron

Not close.

And Sergio should have a KO win over him on his record so it's not tainted.
Big Slim Sweet
Sergio should have a KO over Cintron, no doubt.

I do not expect him to get a kO over Pavlik though.
SmartyBeardo
Martinez will knock Pavlik down, then Pavlik will knock him out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.