Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody donating to Haiti?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Douchebag
If so, how?
Douchebag
Thanx
Maxy
Nope, not donating at all....Gordon Brown seems to think we should all donate to everything, like we are the champions of the free world.

I'll leave this one to the countries that are closer.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 17 2010, 01:02 AM) *
Nope, not donating at all....Gordon Brown seems to think we should all donate to everything, like we are the champions of the free world.

Spot on Maxy, i was waiting to see what the opinion was before chiming in. Why is it always our job? Im not saying we shouldnt help, but every fuckin disaster isnt only ours to fix
WindyCityP
Wow pretty negative attitudes towards mankind.

I donate via red cross Conscience.
lloyd mayflower
Not at all, you cant tell me we are the best placed people to be sorting out a disaster in Haiti? Just like the earthquakes in Pakistan, what were all the super rich oil sheikhs doing while Joe Cunt here was digging deep?
Snoop

I don't see how vicinity matters when you can donate through the internet.

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 17 2010, 02:16 AM) *
Spot on Maxy, i was waiting to see what the opinion was before chiming in. Why is it always our job? Im not saying we shouldnt help, but every fuckin disaster isnt only ours to fix

The first world is directly responsible for the state in which Haiti was in BEFORE the earthquake, which why it has been so incapable of handling the natural disaster.

Either way, donate or don't, but you don't have to be a cock about it just because other people are.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jan 17 2010, 02:17 AM) *
I don't see how vicinity matters when you can donate through the internet.

The first world is directly responsible for the state in which Haiti was in BEFORE the earthquake, which why it has been so incapable of handling the natural disaster.

Either way, donate or don't, but you don't have to be a cock about it just because other people are.

How?
Snoop
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 17 2010, 02:31 AM) *
How?

Well first the extraction of natural resources and labor through direct and overt colonization of violence and slavery. Nowadays through imbalanced trade agreements that in the process, cripples countries like Haiti of the ability to develop a strong national infrastructure in all crucial areas of society, i.e. education, government, health care, building architecture, damn near everything. Haiti was one of the most impoverished nations before the earthquake. This natural catastrophe merely brought these points to light.

This historical exploitation of resources from poorer countries is replayed throughout the world and is basically what supplements the lifestyles of many first world countries, from the way we drive to how we get the free sugar packets at the coffee shop. I'm not sure of where you are from, and I'm not trying to make a value judgment on how you PERSONALLY live your life - I don't know you - but I do know for the way many US Americans live their lives, we would need 5 planets to supplement our habits if the whole world followed suit.

So I'm not trying to go as far as to impose my belief in how the first world actually DOES owe Haiti aid, that is simply a personal belief of mine, but I do find it quite silly and almost inhumane to be upset at the fact that a poor country is reaching out to the richer nations in the world. The death toll is estimated to be over 50,000 in a country that was already suffering tremendously. Why spit in someone's face when they're already down?
lloyd mayflower
I'm not, our government has already pledged a hefty sum of cash, which I have contributed to as an already heavily over taxed citizen. To me, thats enough. My point was that these things happen, and it is a crying shame, but every time its like (at least for us in the UK) we get drilled into thinking that we as a country have to take responsibilty and sort out the whole worlds problems. Its a long time since Britain ruled the world, and our country is now a cesspit.

What about all the mega rich businessmen? Blue chip companies? The fuckin arsehole bankers and stockbrokers whose greed brought the world into a recession, and are still getting paid obscene bonuses? Why is it me that has to dig deep?
Snoop
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 17 2010, 04:50 AM) *
I'm not, our government has already pledged a hefty sum of cash, which I have contributed to as an already heavily over taxed citizen. To me, thats enough. My point was that these things happen, and it is a crying shame, but every time its like (at least for us in the UK) we get drilled into thinking that we as a country have to take responsibilty and sort out the whole worlds problems. Its a long time since Britain ruled the world, and our country is now a cesspit.

What about all the mega rich businessmen? Blue chip companies? The fuckin arsehole bankers and stockbrokers whose greed brought the world into a recession, and are still getting paid obscene bonuses? Why is it me that has to dig deep?

No I can understand your opinion. I believe the decision to donate from the perspective of an "average Joe" is a personal one. I just don't think we should be upset at a victimized country asking for help, or chastising other people for giving what they can (Not saying that you were, especially after reading your post more carefully).

And I generally agree with you in regards to big business. If I had it my way, I'd make all those greedy fucks on Wall Street rebuild places like Haiti or hell, even the marginalized ghettos in first world countries. Unfortunately that'll never happen. But if my motivation really did come from a place of concern for the people suffering in the way our world has been set up, rather than being just angry as how things are, then I'd just do what's within my power, which for me, is donating.
lloyd mayflower
I appreciate you treating my post as it was intended, as a point of debate. I wasnt saying it to be a dick or anything, and for my part, maybe in this particular case i was a bit quick out the blocks cos i really do feel for these people. I just think that theres a growing feeling, specially here, that we throw a disproportionate amount of cash at these issues, and it always comes from us.
Maxy
I'm just an ordinary bloke who on this occasion has decided I will not be donating to Haiti. Just an answer to a thread post. No malice, no spitting in anyones face, no intention to come off as some kinda heartless bastard.

My heart goes out to the people there, of course it does. It's a terrible situation but there are things closer to home that warrant more attention from me personally and our government does fuck all about them.
Snoop
All good gentlemen. Most times hard working folk got their own things to take care of. If all you could spare is some prayers and well wishes their way, I think that would be enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.