Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foreman vs. Cotto
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Keith
I my opinion, Cotto making the jump to jr. middle against anyone is a bad idea. He gets bullied and beat up at 147.

Foreman beats Cotto because he's the bigger man. Cotto needs a win to stay relevant and he shouldnt be moving to 154 to find it.

Thoughts and opinions?
salvador
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 17 2010, 09:15 AM) *
I my opinion, Cotto making the jump to jr. middle against anyone is a bad idea. He gets bullied and beat up at 147.

Foreman beats Cotto because he's the bigger man. Cotto needs a win to stay relevant and he shouldnt be moving to 154 to find it.

Thoughts and opinions?

Cotto got beat at 145 when I've always been under the impression that he's had trouble making 147. Second, Cotto got beaten up by a roided up fighter and a fighter with loaded gloves. Take those two fights away and his record looks pretty damn good (though I don't think Cotto will ever be the same after those two fights).

I think this is a good move for Cotto. Foreman is bigger, but he's slower and less dynamic. I think this will be a good tough fight with Cotto getting a late round ko and he'll get some of his swagger back.
KookedKrack
I think Cotto needs to take a break Jermain Taylor style and recharge his batteries/relax with his family. Who knows though this might be just what he needs kind of how when he moved up from 140.

Watching him fight at msg with all those rowdy Puerto Ricans is pretty epic though so I can see why he always fights on the weekend of the parade.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Jan 17 2010, 11:02 AM) *
I think Cotto needs to take a break Jermain Taylor style and recharge his batteries/relax with his family. Who knows though this might be just what he needs kind of how when he moved up from 140.

Watching him fight at msg with all those rowdy Puerto Ricans is pretty epic though so I can see why he always fights on the weekend of the parade.

I agree but knowing Cotto he might take a tuneup and then jump right back in the action with some tough guy.
Keith
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 17 2010, 08:38 AM) *
Cotto got beat at 145 when I've always been under the impression that he's had trouble making 147. Second, Cotto got beaten up by a roided up fighter and a fighter with loaded gloves. Take those two fights away and his record looks pretty damn good (though I don't think Cotto will ever be the same after those two fights).

I think this is a good move for Cotto. Foreman is bigger, but he's slower and less dynamic. I think this will be a good tough fight with Cotto getting a late round ko and he'll get some of his swagger back.

I agree there may well be some shenanigans involved with the Margarito and Pac losses. The history of Cotto being beaten up goes all the way back to Judah though. Its true he beat Judah worse then what he recieved in return, but Judah put a pretty good hurtin on him. Although victoroius against Mosley and Clottey, I feel Cotto actually took more punishment in those fights then he dished out. When you add it all up, Cotto is probably not the same fighter he started as, and moving up to face even bigger men is not a good idea imo.
salvador
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 17 2010, 01:22 PM) *
Cotto is probably not the same fighter he started as, and moving up to face even bigger men is not a good idea imo.

He's definitely not the same fighter - and I agree with you about the Clottey fight. That said, Cotto's fought all the best wws except Floyd and he'd obviously have no chance against Floyd, so he might as well move up in weight. Foreman really isn't in Cotto's league - even with Cotto's diminished skills. And maybe afterwards Cotto calls it a day having won a belt at a 3rd weight class.

It really is a brutal sport when you're the money maker in Arum's stable and your career gets ruined by two of your promoter's own guys. More than anything, the Marg fight really ended Cotto as a top guy.
Big Slim Sweet
It's true Cotto really has taken a ton of punishment the past three years. Legit or not those beatings were severe.

I think Foreman at this point wins a decision in what ends up being Cotto's final fight. And with the marquee win, Foreman becomes an even more viable PPV option for Pacman later this year should Manny and PBF still not be able to come to terms.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 17 2010, 12:22 PM) *
Although victoroius against Mosley and Clottey, I feel Cotto actually took more punishment in those fights then he dished out.

No question.
mexi-cutioner
Cotto beats Foreman in a comfortable UD.........but gets beaten pretty handily by every other champ/top 10 contender in the MW division
STEVENSKI
I am yet to see how he even deserves a shot at one of the champions at 154. W

Ask yourself the following

What wins does he have at 154?
What win is he coming off?
Does a knockout loss at a lower weight class warrant a title shot?

The fact that so many of you are giving this fight the time of day shows that the fans are just as much to blame as the networks & promoters for making shitty fights of zero worth.
D-MARV
Two Arum fighters Steve... They do what the fuck they want.
Fitz
Cotto has said in the past he wants to retire by 30 and I believe he recently said he wants 2 more fights this year and that's it. I think he is trying to go out big.

I feel sad watching Cotto, he should have been in his prime years and got that stolen from him from a bunch of fuck wits.
kidbazooka1
Cotto will eat Foreman up in the inside or at a distance Cotto is just the better fighter.

Cotto by ref stoppage in the 10th.
D-MARV
Foreman seems to be a tough dude... I don't see Cotto stopping him.
Snoop
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Jan 17 2010, 09:59 PM) *
Two Arum fighters Steve... They do what the fuck they want.

Pretty much. When was the last time we actually saw someone legitimately deserve a shot at a title? Shit, did Foreman even deserve the title?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 17 2010, 10:03 PM) *
I feel sad watching Cotto, he should have been in his prime years and got that stolen from him from a bunch of fuck wits.

Who are these "fuckwits" Fitz? Nothing has been proven although you can say it is likely Margarito was loaded when they fought but there is no evidence whatsoever that Pac was cheating when they fought.
D-MARV
Steve, he may have been talking about Margarito and his trainer...

But Pacquiao is a fuckwit as well.
lloyd mayflower
as is arum
D-MARV
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 17 2010, 06:58 PM) *
as is arum

Yes.
Keith
Arum, Roach, and Manny are all fuckwits.

Arum is shit for defending Plasterito after the beating he gave Cotto.

I am sure Arum bullied Cotto into that catchweight with Pac. Cotto should of known better but he's a warrior and did what he had to do to make the fight. He would of been beat by Pac at 147 as well but the catchweight sure didnt help his cause.

Roach and Pac are fuckwits for juicing and asking for catchweights. Pac now parades himself around as a welterweight champion.

These 3 fuckwits ruined Cotto's career, maybe took years off of his life. Cunty Fuckwits.
tymoney
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 17 2010, 09:08 PM) *

I am sure Arum bullied Cotto into that catchweight with Pac. Cotto should of known better but he's a warrior and did what he had to do to make the fight. He would of been beat by Pac at 147 as well but the catchweight sure didnt help his cause.

Roach and Pac are fuckwits for juicing and asking for catchweights. Pac now parades himself around as a welterweight champion.

These 3 fuckwits ruined Cotto's career, maybe took years off of his life. Cunty Fuckwits.

Realest post in this whole thread! As far as Foreman.. i havent really seen much from him that could cause Cotto any real problems.. i think Cotto take it by UD. I just hope he still have some left in the tank after the beatings hes taken thus far
lloyd mayflower
I dont see Cotto KO'ing Foreman, I hope im wrong in this but i reckon Yuri just has to hang with Cotto, maybe imposing his size on him a little in the first 6 or 7, then come on strong for the last few rounds. After his last few fights, I think he will be prime for the taking in the later rounds for Foreman.

Im with Fitz on this one, when i watch Cotto now after the Marg fight I feel so sorry for him. Its like a broken man trying to rebuild but not quite managing and its sad to see cos IMO he is a quality guy and a warrior. Cotto's demise from top man at WW to the shell we see before us is IMO the fault of that greedy fuck Arum and that cheating fuck Margarito. Both of those cunts make me sick.
basicjab
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 18 2010, 12:32 AM) *
Who are these "fuckwits" Fitz? Nothing has been proven although you can say it is likely Margarito was loaded when they fought but there is no evidence whatsoever that Pac was cheating when they fought.

With all due respects Stevenski, you are the true fuckwit and a blockhead I may add. What more evidence do you need???? The big head, the large calves, these are more than evidence, these are PROOF beyond doubt that Manny and others with these same attributes are in FACT roid cheapers. As I have said previously, fuck the blood tests, put out the measuring tape, this is all you need to to convict these fuckers.

Further, if the large head and large calves isn't enough you have Teddy Altas publicly stating that he was told by a very credible source that his source saw an email that incriminates PAC. Don't you know Teddy Altas was the one who pulled out a gun and threatened a 15 year old MIKE TYSON?? Would a man of such balls lie? This is not proof I must admit but real boxing fans trust whatever that comes out of Altas's mouth, his integrity alone holds more water than any proof out there (well, maybe not more the large calves)

Now go to your room because you are grounded, for life or until you take those Manny balls out of your mouth and talk some sense.
JulianJackson
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 17 2010, 08:15 AM) *

Thoughts and opinions?

easy fight for foreman sleep.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (basicjab @ Jan 18 2010, 04:04 AM) *
With all due respects Stevenski, you are the true fuckwit and a blockhead I may add. What more evidence do you need???? The big head, the large calves, these are more than evidence, these are PROOF beyond doubt that Manny and others with these same attributes are in FACT roid cheapers. As I have said previously, fuck the blood tests, put out the measuring tape, this is all you need to to convict these fuckers.

Further, if the large head and large calves isn't enough you have Teddy Altas publicly stating that he was told by a very credible source that his source saw an email that incriminates PAC. Don't you know Teddy Altas was the one who pulled out a gun and threatened a 15 year old MIKE TYSON?? Would a man of such balls lie? This is not proof I must admit but real boxing fans trust whatever that comes out of Altas's mouth, his integrity alone holds more water than any proof out there (well, maybe not more the large calves)

Now go to your room because you are grounded, for life or until you take those Manny balls out of your mouth and talk some sense.

LOL. Quality post right here.
ViperSniper
Looking at what options are left for Cotto & also which of those options provide most logic rather than money or exposure, it really isn’t a bad idea. Sure he could stay & finish as a Welterweight as it still has fights for him such as Cintron, Collazo or possibly get revenge in a rematch against Margartio as his final fight which would also be a good option. But if he is infact having 2 more fights, it's not that bad an idea at all.

I’m assuming Cotto retires by October this year as he has stated before he turns 30 by having 2 more fights by then. If so I don’t think it would be the worst fight for Cotto to move up to 154 to fight for Foreman's title to close his short but great career as a 3 division champion.

I don’t think 154 will be his most effective division as I believe 147 is Miguels weight limit but Foreman is not a punching machine like Margs or Pac & also does not have the same impact on his punches.

I expect it to be a very tough fight for Cotto which he may not be able to end before the 12th but may be aggressive enough to pile up enough early rounds to sit on until the end to take the win.

If Cotto decides to fight on, if there is anything that needs to be improved on in the gym it would be his conditioning. Without trying to transform him into a brand new fighter, fitness is his biggest challenge in the ring not including the opponent or the mental side of things he could work on.

If he can get that sorted for his final 2 fights he has a real chance of coming out on top & having enough to not find himself retreating at the end of a fight weather it’s against Foreman or a Welterweight.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 18 2010, 12:04 AM) *
LOL. Quality post right here.

I thought the same thing. That post had quality all over. All I need now do to discover when someone is using steroids is look at their calves!! Who knew?

I guess Usain Bolt must be on a different kind of steroid cause his calves are sadly small laugh.gif

mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (tymoney @ Jan 17 2010, 06:36 PM) *
Realest post in this whole thread! As far as Foreman.. i havent really seen much from him that could cause Cotto any real problems.. i think Cotto take it by UD. I just hope he still have some left in the tank after the beatings hes taken thus far

how the fuck was his post the "realest"......Manny hasn't been proven of anything and Margarito was caught vs Mosley, but there's no evidence of him being caught before fighting Cotto now THAT'S REAL
torvix2000
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 18 2010, 08:48 AM) *
I thought the same thing. That post had quality all over. All I need now do to discover when someone is using steroids is look at their calves!! Who knew?

I guess Usain Bolt must be on a different kind of steroid cause his calves are sadly small laugh.gif

Nope! Bolt isn't on steroids that's why his calves and head aren't big.

WTF! Pac's mom's on steroids too. Look at her big head. Like mom like son.

Every fighter who's still competitive at 45 should be included, too. Skills aren't enough. You need physical strength, too. 38 tops.
Douchebag
Cotto should just stay a 147 or retire.
Keith
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jan 18 2010, 10:54 AM) *
Cotto should just stay a 147 or retire.

Indeed. 5'7" at 154 is not a good look... for anyone. Especially for someone who's been catching beatings at 147.

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
This will be a very tough fight for Cotto to win. Cotto really hasn't been the same fighter since Margarito, and I don't expect this to change. Foreman is bigger than him, and lets not forget he's a fast fighter who likes to move. If Cotto has lost a step, it will really show in this fight. I actually think Foreman beats Cotto fairly easily. Foreman is a good boxer who moves well on his feet. Cotto a couple years ago wins this fight, but not right now. He needs to stay at 147 and get a couple tune ups in. Like somebody else said, 5'7 at 154 isn't a good look especially when Foreman will be pumping that jab. I can't believe this guy is actually getting a title shot though, but money talks and Bob Arum has a lot of control.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 17 2010, 10:08 PM) *

C'mon man, you think Freddie Roach is juicing as well???

Seriously, there's really got to be some kind of proof regarding Pacquaio to make this kind of statement. I happen to believe Pac may have juiced but I also happen to believe Cotto may have juiced during his career as well. The sculpted jawline, the shoulder acne.. laugh.gif I mean, this is the type of evidence we have against Pac right? Cotto's ability to absorb punishment increased initially as well when he moved up in weight. How'd he get that thicker and sturdier neck???

Now Margarito on the other hand committed a violent crime. No proof he did it against Cotto but there is DIRECT proof he was planning to do it against Mosley in his very next fight. That's a different situation than Pacman all together - both the nature of the crime and the circumstantial evidence pointing to it. And Arum defending him was a disgrace as well.

I really think Arum feels Foreman will beat Cotto, and thus will be creating a new attraction and viable PPV opponent for Pacman at the expense of Cotto once again. Arum has totally fucked Cotto's career the past two years.
Keith
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Jan 18 2010, 03:49 PM) *
C'mon man, you think Freddie Roach is juicing as well???

Freddie sure is giving that Parkinsons all it can handle. laugh.gif
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 18 2010, 12:46 PM) *
Indeed. 5'7" at 154 is not a good look... for anyone. Especially for someone who's been catching beatings at 147.

not really...smaller guys have done it

zab and mayweather have pulled off 154 cottos frame is bigger than those guys so i actually think 154 may not look bad at all
KookedKrack
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Jan 19 2010, 06:26 PM) *

zab and mayweather have pulled off 154 cottos frame is bigger than those guys so i actually think 154 may not look bad at all

Floyd is 5'8'' and maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember Zab ever fighting @154.
Fitz
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Jan 20 2010, 10:26 AM) *

Sorry, but I disagree and you are wrong in this assessment IMO. Cotto is a physical fighter, those guys you mentioned are not. When you have aggressive fighters like Cotto, Hatton, Trinidad, Corrales etc, they can only move up so much because their style is revolved around them being stronger and more physical against their opponent. While classic boxers move up in weight, they do not base their style on being stronger and more physical, they base it on movement and the key to them moving up in weight is to not lose speed. While aggressive fighters rely on carrying up their size and strength.
So in most cases an aggressive fighter who relies on being physical will generally not be able to move up as many divisions as a guy that relies on boxing. Of course there are few examples where aggressive fighters moved up a lot, but generally boxers are able to move up higher.
It's why guys like Mayweather, Jones Jr, DLH, Toney and Leonard have been able to move up. They don't rely on being stronger than every opponent they fight like guys like Cotto, Hatton and other come forward fighters.
Keith
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Jan 19 2010, 06:26 PM) *

Zab never went to 154 and Floyd went their once. dntknw.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 18 2010, 05:32 PM) *

Geez Keith who made you the bad taste jokester all of a sudden?

But why do I find myself strangely waiting to hear the next one from your stand-up routine? clapping.gif Can I download your entire collection from itunes? Coz I like it a lot laugh.gif

Be careful though too much more of this bad taste stuff and Beardo's gonna come on here and kick your arse!!!

I don't know I quite like Cotto in this fight. I thought Foreman looked shit in his last winning effort. I know Arum has polished and pimped some crap in his career but the only star Bob will be able to make for Foreman is the star of fucking David.

I guess the Jewish PPV audience will be a lock but I don't see it as being as strong as the Mexican or Filipino crowd. Now if only he could find a half decent Palastinian fighter to throw him in against................
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Keith @ Jan 18 2010, 03:32 PM) *

LOL!!!
King Eugene
I think it pretty funny how everybody is targeting the weakest 154lb Champ. Foreman should say fuck'em all and challenge Spinks in a unification bout on ESPN Friday Night Fights! Cash in with that belt as soon as you can because its only a matter of time before he's badly hurt.
EpTXCHAMP
zab fought at 154 against sum white dude when he was with prize fight lol not a serious fight but still.... i'LL look it up but i remember he weighed 154 on the dot and didnt look bad....
and whether floyd did it just once point is he did I think cotto can do it too win the belt and decide whether to stay there or go back to 147

and word to the wise, boxers listed heights are usually an inch to two off their ACTUAL height.

I met zab who's listed at 5'7 and was barely 5'6 with sum big ass lugz boots on lol

Im sure hype and another guys who have met sum fighters in person can back this up, so I highly doubt floyd's a legit 5'8 especially when he's listed by many sites as 5'7

and for the other post I agree with what your saying bout cotto being a physical fighter, but I think cotto is a much better boxer than the other fighters u mentioned. I mean people forget he out boxed shane not over powered him so he doesnt really require being stronger than his opponent to win IMO
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Jan 22 2010, 08:52 PM) *
and for the other post I agree with what your saying bout cotto being a physical fighter, but I think cotto is a much better boxer than the other fighters u mentioned. I mean people forget he out boxed shane not over powered him so he doesnt really require being stronger than his opponent to win IMO

Yeah but Shane was bullying him towards the end of that fight and that was before the Margarito and Pacquiao beatings.
SmartyBeardo
Fighting is a bad idea for Cotto (154 or 147).
Keith
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 16 2010, 11:41 PM) *
Fighting is a bad idea for Cotto (154 or 147).

Ya thats probably so.

I would really enjoy seeing Cotto get in the ring with Judah again.
Alex
I know of only one coach in this world that can real help a boxer at this level to destroy Yuri Foreman in the ring.
This coach has developed Yuri Foreman's unique boxing style.
This coach has brought him into the professional boxing world.
This coach has sacrificed his family all for Yuri Foreman.
Yuri Foreman has BETRAYED him as soon as Yuri started making money.
This coach's name is Michael Kozlowski.
This message is not for the boxing fans....
This message is for Miguel Cotto team and Miguel Cotto fans

Read more here: http://boxingcoachmike.com/news/63-yuri-fo...o-champion.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.