Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: British boxing scene
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
lloyd mayflower
Just got finished watching a replay of friday fight night and got to thinking that theres not much discussion on the domestic scene. I appreciate that most are american and probably dont get the opportunity to see much of whats going on here but feel free to contribute if you have something. Just thought
I would give it a home on this board.

So i'll kick it off by asking who you guys think will make it onto the world scene this year. Obviusly Khan, Haye and Hatton are on the world scene already. I reckon maybe Matthew Macklin could make waves this year and Kell Brook obviously is being tipped widely. North of the border Ricky Burns has a title shot at Roman Martinez in March. Not sure if maybe the jump will be too big tho. Hopefully he can pull it off.

Also, does anyone else think Cello Renda and Paul Samuels are destined to kill eachother in the ring?
Maxy

^^^From the first fight. Pretty decent show on Friday night I thought.

As For Macklin I don't think he's going to win a world title. Good fighter but not ever going to be ready to mix with the elite. I've got my doubts over Brook too. His chin is held way too high and you can just imagine him getting blasted out by the more experienced world class fighters. Hopefully he can step up, he's in my fantasy team, but not convinced.

Khan has left Warren and is apparently going to vacate his belt in order to avoid the mandatory against Maidana. He's signed for Golden Boy now and the talk recently was of him boxing Malignaggi, although I've since read that Malignaggi may fight Maidana so I'm not sure what's happening there.

My biggest hopes for the future are with Nathan Cleverly and Kevin Mitchell. I thought Mitchell showed a completely different side to his game in the recent fight with Prescott and I was impressed with him.

Got to feel for Ricky Burns. Martinez would be a tough fight for him in his own back yard but he's got to go to Puerto Rico for it and I just can't see him winning.

Overall the future could be better but there are some unproven kids waiting in the wings to step up so maybe in the next couple of years we'll have somebody to brag about.

Oh, and how could you forget Carl Froch in your post?

laugh.gif
lloyd mayflower
Haha i guess i spent so long hating Froch and have only just started to warm to him I blocked him out!

I think Cleverly is the goods. I like watching him. I hope he can keep up his good form and have an assault on the world scene.

Think your probably right about Burns. For your step up fight, to have to go right into the lions den like that is a massive ask.
lloyd mayflower
Maxy, was just wondering what you make of young George Groves? Iv seen bits and pieces of him and he seems to be doin what hes supposed to, putting guys away in style. How do you think hel hold up when they step it up?
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 20 2010, 03:58 PM) *
Maxy, was just wondering what you make of young George Groves? Iv seen bits and pieces of him and he seems to be doin what hes supposed to, putting guys away in style. How do you think hel hold up when they step it up?

I didn't see this post, hence why I didn't answer it....

Anyway, I rate Groves as potentially the best prospect to come out of Britain in donkeys years, I really do. How impressive does his win over Samuels look now? I mean, that was only his 3rd fight and he done the business brilliantly. It's early days at the minute but I'm certain he'll clean up domestically within a year and then he can take the next step up.

David Haye is due to defend his heavyweight title on April 3rd against John Ruiz. It'll take place at the M.E.N despite Haye telling his fans when he won the belt that he'd defend it at the 02 Arena. Oh well.

Although it's only Ruiz it is still, far and away, the best heavyweight Haye will have faced to date. I expect him to win and to win big, probably around the 5th round, but it'll definitely give us all a better idea of what he is capable of achieving at heavyweight.
AResterio
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 26 2010, 04:14 AM) *
I didn't see this post, hence why I didn't answer it....

Anyway, I rate Groves as potentially the best prospect to come out of Britain in donkeys years, I really do. How impressive does his win over Samuels look now? I mean, that was only his 3rd fight and he done the business brilliantly. It's early days at the minute but I'm certain he'll clean up domestically within a year and then he can take the next step up.

David Haye is due to defend his heavyweight title on April 3rd against John Ruiz. It'll take place at the M.E.N despite Haye telling his fans when he won the belt that he'd defend it at the 02 Arena. Oh well.

Although it's only Ruiz it is still, far and away, the best heavyweight Haye will have faced to date. I expect him to win and to win big, probably around the 5th round, but it'll definitely give us all a better idea of what he is capable of achieving at heavyweight.

Whoooa! I'd love to have her sing on my stiff microphone! For sure I'll get KTFOed!hehehehe
lloyd mayflower
Big weekend coming up this side of the pond, specially saturday night where several prospects are in action. Part of me hopes James Degale gets derailed, but the main action is with Nathan Cleverly v Antonio Brancolion for the EBU light heavy title, and Kevin Mitchell v Ignacio Mendoza for the WBO inter continental lightweight title. Bit of a step up for Cleverly i think so that one should be interesting but hopefully these 2 can keep the momentum going and we could be seeing world title shots for them both in 2010. Not sure if you guys in America will get these fights on TV but both guys are worth a watch, specially Clev, who I like to watch and I think always puts on a decent show.
Maxy
Mitchell just gone and done the business. 2nd round knockout. Top boy.

Next up is the mouth watering prospect of a shot at Katsidis. Definitely looking forward to that one and I can see Mitchell winning after a terrific scrap.

Next up it's Cleverly. I hope he does the business.
Maxy
Cleverly too did the business via stoppage....too pissed to know what round it ended but it was impressive nonetheless.
Maxy
Ricky Hatton, 4st over his fighting weight, has retired.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Mar 13 2010, 09:43 PM) *
Ricky Hatton, 4st over his fighting weight, has retired.

I dont give a fuck what anybody says about him, or about his lack of pure boxing skills, I will miss him. There has never, and probably will never again, be any fighter who can take 40,000 fans all the way to Vegas and still sing his name after he hets knocked out. Say what you want about Ricky but he's one of your own. I've been to Vegas 3 times to watch him and ts a shame I wont be watching him again.

Cheers for the memories Ricky
Fitz
Hatton was solid, not great but hey he accomplished a lot. His 2 losses were against the current p4p #1 fighters. He was a gentleman and had class and one of the few characters who was entertaining in press conferences while was respectful to other fighters that treated him with the same respect.
AussieLad
RIcky Hatton can burn in hell for the fucking travesty of justice that occurred in the ring against tszyu... him and his pet monkey ref

Me? Bitter? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 14 2010, 06:46 PM) *
Hatton was solid, not great but hey he accomplished a lot. His 2 losses were against the current p4p #1 fighters. He was a gentleman and had class and one of the few characters who was entertaining in press conferences while was respectful to other fighters that treated him with the same respect.

Pretty much my view on it too.
blackbelt2003
LOL, well Amir Khan said on Radio One this morning he wants 50,000 Brits to go watch him fight Malignaggi.

I like the kid and all, but he's not quite Mr Personality, is he?

Black
Maxy
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Mar 15 2010, 01:28 PM) *
LOL, well Amir Khan said on Radio One this morning he wants 50,000 Brits to go watch him fight Malignaggi.

I like the kid and all, but he's not quite Mr Personality, is he?

Black

Lol...well that's never going to happen is it?

As for Hatton, credit where credit is due. His fanbase was quite amazing and he was always an exciting character. I've heard a few unsavoury stories about him lately which I won't go into but all in all he can walk out of the game with his head held high.

I mean, he only lost to the two best fighters in the world. That is certainly no disgrace.

On another note, are any of you Australians excited about the upcoming fight between Kevin Mitchell and Katsidis? I think this will be an excellent fight. Definitely looking forward to it.
Fitz
I'm excited, but nervous. I been a fan of Katsidis for a while. I know he isn't great, but I really like him. Also add to the excitement is that I have him in fantasy league.
Maxy
I reckon it will be a cracking fight. Mitchell is already talking about a good old fashioned tear up. So you've got Katsidis in your fantasy team eh Fitz? I've got Mitchell. That will add a bit of spice.

Thing is it appears they are pushing to put this on at Upton Park. In case you don't know, Upton Park is home of West Ham Utd and has a capacity of about 35,000. There is no way they can fill that with these two, even though I personally think it'll be a bit of a classic.
lloyd mayflower
Brits v the Aussies coming up shortly then. Iv got Ricky Burns against Aussielads Roman Martinez and Maxy's got Mitchell against Fitz's Katsidis.

Lets get fuckin stuck into these criminals!!!!
AussieLad
Whats the height of english cuisine?

First boil water
Then serve....

The english exported all their best genetics to australia, preserving the hardiest strains from the damages of rampant inbreeding in the mother country, and through natural selection and evolution over a couple hundred years culminated in the perfect beast.... behold AussieLad in all his glory

Snoop
QUOTE (Maxy @ Mar 15 2010, 08:34 PM) *
I've heard a few unsavoury stories about him lately which I won't go into but all in all he can walk out of the game with his head held high.

Anyone else besides me like to hear these unsavoury stories?
Fitz
Yeah I want to hear them.

Maxy, yeah I'm a little concerned about Katsidis going over there. What are your thoughts? Haven't seen Mitchell before but I want an unbias (as you have him in your squad, lol) on what he is like as a fighter. Do you give Katsidis a shot, has Mitchell been tested before? Does he have a good chin, is it suspect or still untested?
AussieLad
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 17 2010, 12:12 AM) *
Yeah I want to hear them.

Maxy, yeah I'm a little concerned about Katsidis going over there. What are your thoughts? Haven't seen Mitchell before but I want an unbias (as you have him in your squad, lol) on what he is like as a fighter. Do you give Katsidis a shot, has Mitchell been tested before? Does he have a good chin, is it suspect or still untested?

I see the poms are talking up Mitchell as a lock to beat katsidis. I think he has a very good chance at outboxing kats and getting a decision. As much as i love kats, he hasnt grown as a fighter. he needs to ditch his trainer and get someone who can teach how to incorporate alot more head movement into his aggression.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Mar 17 2010, 07:14 AM) *
I see the poms are talking up Mitchell as a lock to beat katsidis. I think he has a very good chance at outboxing kats and getting a decision. As much as i love kats, he hasnt grown as a fighter. he needs to ditch his trainer and get someone who can teach how to incorporate alot more head movement into his aggression.

He's most certainly not a lock. He's much inproved recently, but still, Kats is going to be a big step up and would be a massive win if Mitchell could pull it off. If I was going to bet on it (which I probably wont) I think I would still have to put my cash on Katsidis. Assuming he gets a fair crack of the whip.
Maxy
Well Kevin Mitchell has only recently moved up to lightweight but has looked impressive nonetheless. His biggest win was perhaps against Prescott, the bloke who annihilated Amir Khan in the first round. In that fight Mitchell showed a maturity and discipline I wasn't sure he possessed. He boxed extremely well.

Of course, Katsidis has fought the better opposition and is a fully fledged lightweight. The thing for me about this fight is that Mitchell will be boxing in front of his home town fans at Upton Park. He's already talking about a tear up. No doubt about it, this will be an excellent fight. I like Katsidis and I get the feeling that if he can drag Mitchell into a war, which is likely, we'll be looking at a potential fight of the year.

Mitchell has a good chin and pretty decent power. If Graham Earl can hurt Katsidis then so can Mitchell. However, Katsidis is the stronger fighter and packs more power, imo. He is a level above anyone who Mitchell has boxed before, and despite Mitchell showing good defensive skills against Prescott, he'll need to be at lot better to beat Katsidis. Prescott, after-all, is very crude and very average.

So yeah, it's a massive step up in class for Mitchell but as long as doesn't get caught up in the atmosphere Upton Park is bound to generate (a big ask), I can see him winning via late stoppage or on points.

I'll probably end up with egg on my face now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.